The next store to go.....

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, May 03, 2005, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

I know its tough facing another future with a familar store gone. But it happens all the time in the retail world.

So based on what you know about a store what store do you believe is going to go out of business next?

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
I know its tough facing another future with a familar store gone. But it happens all the time in the retail world.

So based on what you know about a store what store do you believe is going to go out of business next?

i would say JC Penny just because i heard they were closing more stores this year or maby Sears and Kmart due to the merger?
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

Zayre88

JCPenney makes sense, with Kohl's and Target opening everywhere, outdated JCPenney stores are facing tough competition.  Most stores located in malls like Sears & Penney are in trouble.

store215

Kmart/Sears, as much as I hate to see them go. I have heard they are doing only half-assed remodel jobs in some of the stores, leaving some of the store looking stuck in the 70's, and a moosh-mosh of Wal-Mart and target elsewhere in the store.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
JCPenney makes sense, with Kohl's and Target opening everywhere, outdated JCPenney stores are facing tough competition.  Most stores located in malls like Sears & Penney are in trouble.

i would also say because they just lost there way like sears did JC Penny can compeat with Macys Filenes Bloomingdails and then Target Wal Mart and Kohls doset help JC Penny's problme eather
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Jag67

QuoteI have heard they are doing only half-assed remodel jobs in some of the stores, leaving some of the store looking stuck in the 70's

I like dated stores!!!:bouncing:

C. Fontaine

I would have to agree.  JC Penney seems likely to be next.  I know the last time I went to one of their stores the entire thing seemed like an oversized clothing department with some jewelry in the middle.  I think they may need a little more to keep the customers coming.

Jag67

Like I said on the JCP bashing page..Penney's is NOT a department store anymore. All they are now is a clothes store that just LOOKS like a department store. They shouldn't even call themselves a department chain. All they sell now are clothes, clothes, clothes CLOTHES!!!!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Like I said on the JCP bashing page..Penney's is NOT a department store anymore. All they are now is a clothes store that just LOOKS like a department store. They shouldn't even call themselves a department chain. All they sell now are clothes, clothes, clothes CLOTHES!!!!

this is too bad to see Penny's (what they used to call themselves)
go from a department store to clothing store sigh:(

I NEVER KNEW JCPENNY WAS A DEPARTMENT STORE!:o

MAN THEIR ADS SUCK:P

AT LEAST THE SALE ONES:bouncing:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

this is too bad to see Penny's (what they used to call themselves)
go from a department store to clothing store sigh:(

I NEVER KNEW JCPENNY WAS A DEPARTMENT STORE!:o

MAN THEIR ADS SUCK:P

AT LEAST THE SALE ONES:bouncing:

OHH BUT WAIT HOLD ON I KNOW OF TWO OH WAIT A MINUTE 3 JCPENNY STORES THAT SELL MORE THAN CLOTHES

1 Westfarms Mall also sells beds & other stuff been in their alot
2 Torrington sells some furtinture stuff AND jewery
3 Brass Mill Mall IT SELLS MORE THAN JUST CLOTHES !

SO THERE JCPENNY IS A DEPARTMENT STORE!

MAYBE YOUR GETTING CONFUSED BECAUSE THEIR ADS ADVERTISE CLOTHES MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE

BTW is TJMAXX a department store?

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteI have heard they are doing only half-assed remodel jobs in some of the stores, leaving some of the store looking stuck in the 70's

yeah but that doesn't help the company it makes them look behind the times JUST LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO Ames and Caldor! they had dated stores and went GOB

Kmart has dated stores and closed many locations

I LIKE DATED STORES TOO!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

yeah but that doesn't help the company it makes them look behind the times JUST LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED TO Ames and Caldor! they had dated stores and went GOB

I LIKE DATED STORES TOO!

MAYBE THEY SHOULD GO RETRO ON PURPOSE? eh?

Caldor1999

I LIKE DATED STORES TOO!

Many of Caldors Store were not out dated mine wsent and it was bult in the 1960's Caldor really keeped more of there stores up to date they had some that were out dated the resion they went out is because ive seen Wal Mart opening near them and Bradlees and Ames were the out dated type stores well it was Ok fro Ames to do it and they got away with it but anyways ive seen JC Pennys with outher stuff besides clothing but they sell Jewelry Bathroom stuff and some strores have Furnter and Bedding stuff too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Of Couse Kmart might go to cause of the merger not to mention the Sears stores that moved ionto Kmart stores did not do anything to chang the look off there stores too so theyy still looked out dated it's like some old Service Merchandise or Montgomery ward store or like Caldor Bradlees moving into a Old Woolco and Ames and Zayre and how they nevre changed the look oif the store that  much so Sears and Km art might go before JC Penny
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
Of Couse Kmart might go to cause of the merger not to mention the Sears stores that moved ionto Kmart stores did not do anything to chang the look off there stores too so theyy still looked out dated it's like some old Service Merchandise or Montgomery ward store or like Caldor Bradlees moving into a Old Woolco and Ames and Zayre and how they nevre changed the look oif the store that  much so Sears and Km art might go before JC Penny

YESH!

IT ACTUALLY SEEMS THAT WAY SO FAY KMARTS GOING THE EXACT PATH AMES DID SORT OF

remember?

Ames first got into bankrupcy closed some stores and then in 1996 they re-emerged remarkably then to only few years later in 2002 they went out of business

so far Kmart did get into such trouble and their store shelves were ALMOST empty I COULD OF SWORN THEY WOULD CLOSE then I think around 1999 they emerged from bankrupcy and now their store shelves are full and their doing good now so far but who-knows?

in order to save themselves they need to fix their image so they stick out as a one-of-a-kind store from everybody else and that may bring back shoppers to good ol' Kmart

Anonymous

I think Friedman's Jewelers will be next to go out of business. Do you think so?

Caldor1999

YESH!

IT ACTUALLY SEEMS THAT WAY SO FAY KMARTS GOING THE EXACT PATH AMES DID SORT OF

remember?

Ames first got into bankrupcy closed some stores and then in 1996 they re-emerged remarkably then to only few years later in 2002 they went out of business

so far Kmart did get into such trouble and their store shelves were ALMOST empty I COULD OF SWORN THEY WOULD CLOSE then I think around 1999 they emerged from bankrupcy and now their store shelves are full and their doing good now so far but who-knows?

in order to save themselves they need to fix their image so they stick out as a one-of-a-kind store from everybody else and that may bring back shoppers to good ol' Kmart

ames filed for ch 11 in APRIL 1990 then emrged in DEC 1992 and 9 years lattr they filed for ch 11 again in AUG 2001 and closed down in NOV 2002

Kmart filed fro ch 11 in JAN 2002 and emrged in MAY 2003

Caldor filed for ch 11 in SEP 1995 and closed for good in  MAY 1999 nevre emergan

Service Merchandise filed for ch 11 in APRIL 1999 and closed for good in MARCH 2002

Montgomery Ward ch11 in JULY 1997 emarged in AUG 1999 filed again in DEC 2000 closed in APRIL 2001

Bradlees filed for ch 11 in June 1995 emarged in Feb 1999 filed again in DEC 2000 closed in MARCH 2001

ECT lol
Caldor Forever!

HoJofan206

I think Toys R Us days are numbered.

truviking05

Nooooo! It's Toys R Us that started my interest in old stores! Not to mention that I spent a good bit of my early childhood in our long-lost retro store. BTW--my JCPenney's is a true department store, at least in my opinion. It sells everything.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

well at least for now we don't know whos going out next enjoy this time when no GOB sales are going on :)

powersbt

When I saw the subject of this thread, Toys 'R Us was my first thought. You'd never tell if you saw the Toys 'R Us in Times Square, New York, but just looking at what I have seen, I know a lot of their future banked on their sales last Christmas, and I know the sales weren't spectacular last Christmas.

It appears that the Company Toys 'R Us is doing fairly well, however the actual toy division is what is struggling. Other divisions like Babys 'R Us do well for the company, and there were a couple of other subdivisions which help the company out.  

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
I think Toys R Us days are numbered.

HoJofan206

Yes, I agree with the last post, Toys R Us is loosing money, just as Kids R Us did and we know what happened to them.
I think Wal-Mart will amlost single handedly cause TRU to go out of business in the next few years.  Kinda sad, I too, like the old buildings.

store215

Yes, I agree with the last post, Toys R Us is loosing money, just as Kids R Us did and we know what happened to them.
I think Wal-Mart will amlost single handedly cause TRU to go out of business in the next few years.  Kinda sad, I too, like the old buildings.

Toy stores are doing poorly in general because most kids in this 21st century age are not interested in traditional toys like action figures, board games, etc...you get the point. Everything is video games and electronics, and maybe outdoor things like bikes...things that can easily be found at Target, Best Buy,  or Wal-Mart or Kmart, so people no longer have a need to go to a store just for these items. I really dislike when people blame Wal-Mart for TRU's poor sales, even though they are somewhat responsible.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Toy stores are doing poorly in general because most kids in this 21st century age are not interested in traditional toys like action figures, board games, etc...you get the point. Everything is video games and electronics, and maybe outdoor things like bikes...things that can easily be found at Target, Best Buy,  or Wal-Mart or Kmart, so people no longer have a need to go to a store just for these items. I really dislike when people blame Wal-Mart for TRU's poor sales, even though they are somewhat responsible.

Yea but toys r us sells video games and electronics and bikes and out dore stuff to and they have a big and nice slection then Wal Mart dose so yea u can blam them for toys r us fadeing away:(:(:(:(
Caldor Forever!

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Yea but toys r us sells video games and electronics and bikes and out dore stuff to and they have a big and nice slection then Wal Mart dose so yea u can blam them for toys r us fadeing away:(:(:(:(

Part of the Blame can be put on stores like Wal Mart and Target because they are just plain taking away sales from other stores. Not just Toys 'R Us, but other Discount Stores, Mom and Pops, even Grocery Stores. However, Toys 'R Us needs to find out how to diversify better in order to compete better against Wal Mart. I know when they were preparing for Christmas last season, they were planning on working with manufacturers to secure items that would be sold exclusively at Toys 'R Us, hopefully catching an item or two like the Tickle Me Elmo craze a few years back which would help with their sales. In my opinion, it's the inability to diversify their store properly that will probably bring them down.

Caldor1999

Target is manly not to blam Wal mart is NO1 in the toy bizz flowed by Toys R Us and  Target ...............Target DOSE NOT take Buness away from outher stores they dont have there supercenters LOCATED EVREYWERE and most of there stores are small and clean and they did not put Caldor Bradlees Ames Wards an Service Merchandise out of bizz that was Wal Mart's DEPT:mad::hurt::hurt:
Caldor Forever!

powersbt

Target is manly not to blam Wal mart is NO1 in the toy bizz flowed by Toys R Us and  Target ...............Target DOSE NOT take Buness away from outher stores they dont have there supercenters LOCATED EVREYWERE and most of there stores are small and clean and they did not put Caldor Bradlees Ames Wards an Service Merchandise out of bizz that was Wal Mart's DEPT:mad::hurt::hurt:

I don't remember saying that Target put the stores you mentioned above out of business. I did say that Target and Wal Mart have taken business away from Toys 'R Us and that is the truth no matter how you look at it. You're Right, Target hasn't done as much damage as Wal Mart has, but a new Target store opening in a new region, WILL draw business away from the existing stores.

Caldor1999

i add met u do have a point but Target stores also do many mall locations unlike Wal Mart and Target opened in places that have pelenty of retile like in White Planes NY witch is a city near me they have Sears Macys Nordstrom Bloomingdails Filene's Basment Office Max Toys R Us Kmart Barns and Noble Borders and many super markets like Stop & Shop and A&P and theres a Target lkocated in a small center called teh City center witch has Target Filene's Basmet Barns and Noble  office max and these stores nevre take bussiness away from Toys R Us the Toys R Us there get plenty of bizz and now Wal Mart wants to open in a Old Sears bulding wich moved to a diffrent location this old sears bulding is located right next to target and filene's Basment now this is proff that Wal Mart takes bizz away from outher stores and this is a Example of it Wal Mart would crush white planes retile and would not help Toys R Us alone with Filene's Basment and Target and all the Trffaice it would Cause the space should be used for a outher DEPT store or something not SPRALW MART:flaming:

so to sum this all up Target fits in were theres plenty or retile cause it fits with the crowed unlike Wal Mart
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

maybe Walmart'll go out of business before anyone else does!:o:bouncing::bounce::bigsmile: