Store-Brand (Off brand) Products

Started by Jag67, May 03, 2005, 05:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag67

Remember when Department stores had their own brand of electronics, toys, etc.?

Penney's did untill the late 80's I think, Sears untill the Mid-late 90's, K-Mart until the early-mid 90's, and Mal-Wart still does (Durabrand). You guys would know better than me.

I'll start. Here's a K-Mart brand Focal (Remember Focal?) blank tape from around 1992. Meemories..

At one point I had a 1976 Sears Free Spirit 10-speed with bicentennial trim that I picked from the garbage, but a neighbor wanted it so I sold it to him. I may have a pic of it somewhere, I'll have to look.
Please post your products.

Caldor1999

i remebr Caldor sold stuff like that ike Caldor Loshtion and Shampoo and such

i dont like the store brand food like Stop & Shop soda or milk ect
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

this may not count as a "department store" but Big Y world class markets have their own brands AND the brands have TV commercials advertising VERY convincingly to chose "Big Y Brands"

and yes the brand is called Big Y brand :cool:

Zayre88

Don't forget the K-Gro garden products sold by Kmart.  :roll::roll:

Jag67

Ohh K-Gro. just the other day when I was at my Uncle's house I spotted a packet of some thingys made by K-gro. BTW, he also has a K-Mart brand Clock/AM radio he bought in 1972. And it still works!! (Barely). It' a mess- the hands broke off of the clock years ago, the radio appuratus is jingling around inside, even a big chunk of the corner has been taken out. Despite all this, it STILL works. Hee keeps it in his garage. Next time I'm over I'll get a pic of it.

Jag67

Here's a K-Mart cassette. (BTW, "The Sleepwalker" is one of the great 39 episodes of 'The Honeymooners" I teped them for listening to in the car)

store215

Kmart used to put their name on everything, but quality issues had them stop the practice. I remember reading about this in one of the Kmart books that was sold on Amazon (it gave you a preview of the 1st few chapters)

Zayre88

White-Westinghouse kitchen electrics were made only for Kmart in the past years.  I don't know if it's still that way today ?

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
Here's a K-Mart cassette. (BTW, "The Sleepwalker" is one of the great 39 episodes of 'The Honeymooners" I teped them for listening to in the car)

AW COOL! THAT SHOWS THE OLD KMART 1970s LOGO!

THE BEST OF THEM YET!

AND I think Kmart still sells KGRO because that logo's familar

Kmart was very clever with their brands

OH OH AND DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE "ONLY AT AMES" BRANDS TOO YOU KNOW!!!!!:bigsmile:

Jag67

Yep...I like old exclusive K-Mart merchandise. You know the Focal tape I posted? There's an older one at my school that has the old k-Mart logo on the back..where it "now" says K-Mart corporation. I wish they still sold them. K-Mart quality..

C. Fontaine

Jag67

Quote*Krap-mart quality

I was being sarcastic lol:insane:. Everybody used to make fun of K-Mart for the cheapness of their "off-brand" stuff. But still, they're better than Sprawl-Mart:roll:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

how about this for a new name?

Kres-mart     Kresge mart

AND THE BRANDS WOULD BE Kres-mart brands

:cool:

GO Krap-mart! lol :insane::insane:

Actually GO Kres-mart LOL LOL LOL LOL :insane::insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

Penney's did untill the late 80's I think, Sears untill the Mid-late 90's, K-Mart until the early-mid 90's, and Mal-Wart still does (Durabrand). You guys would know better than me.

I'll start. Here's a K-Mart brand Focal (Remember Focal?) blank tape from around 1992. Meemories..

At one point I had a 1976 Sears Free Spirit 10-speed with bicentennial trim that I picked from the garbage, but a neighbor wanted it so I sold it to him. I may have a pic of it somewhere, I'll have to look.

OMG they started making things in china as early as 1992?!:o:o:o:o:o:o

Jag67

Yeeeep. That must've been even weirder at the time, because in 1992 most blank VHS tapes were still made in Japan. I guess that's what our friend C. Fontaine meant by "Krap-mart quality"..heheh, just kidding. It' a good tape. I think the older one at my school library was made on Korea.

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
hear a Caldor Match thingy

its called a match box lol:insane:

CALDOR WAS THE ULTIMATE IN MODERN STORE DESIGN!

IT WAS ART!:holysh::cool::bigsmile:

C. Fontaine

I have an Ames matchbook:D

By the way, I don't hate Kmart, all off-brand stuff is humorous, especially the ripoff names they make for them... like Nutty Nuggets!

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
I have an Ames matchbook:D

By the way, I don't hate Kmart, all off-brand stuff is humorous, especially the ripoff names they make for them... like Nutty Nuggets!
my guess is that the Caldor & Ames machies bouth must have been mad some tiem in the late 70's im saying that cause they bouth look dated
Caldor Forever!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

heres something Caldor pools!!

:bigsmile::D

Jag67

Jeez at last Caldor's stores had DECOR unlike Hel-Mart here...:mad:

BTW My dad just bought a very old K-Mart timer at a garage sale today. There was also an old K-Mart box fan

Jag67

Ohh K-Gro. just the other day when I was at my Uncle's house I spotted a packet of some thingys made by K-gro. BTW, he also has a K-Mart brand Clock/AM radio he bought in 1972. And it still works!! (Barely). It' a mess- the hands broke off of the clock years ago, the radio appuratus is jingling around inside, even a big chunk of the corner has been taken out. Despite all this, it STILL works. Hee keeps it in his garage. Next time I'm over I'll get a pic of it.

here's the radio

Caldor1999

Target has there own brads of food too
Caldor Forever!

Anonymous

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB

OMG they started making things in china as early as 1992?!:o:o:o:o:o:o

They made chinese junk even before this...and that has to be older than 1992......

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Even Hills Department Stores used to have their own Hills Brand Items as well. Does anybody happen to have any Hills Brand Items at all that would happen to be from their health & beauty department that are still brand new and have never been used that they would be willing to sell to me? I would be very interested in purchasing them from anybody interested. I have tried searching for them on Ebay as well as amazon.com, but there never seems to be any available. If anybody is interested please feel free to send me a message through the message-board.

Here is a picture of some of the Hills Brand health & beauty items that I am talking about. I must give credits to the http://tokensafari.com/hillsstores/ website, due to the fact that this image is from their website.

Please keep in mind that there are a lot more items than this, but these are just a few examples.

shore72

It won't hurt my feelings if you tell me I collect too many things! Here's some stuff I have around the house, starting with Kmart:
Some cassette tapes from about '85-86. These were recorded by some unknown lady, part of a set of maybe 6 tapes, all from Kmart.

A Kmart radio from my collection, still in the box. My wife picked this one up for me at a thrift store.

Service manuals for Kmart TV sets made by Admiral:

Rubbing compound, found in a house we used to rent:

shore72

IGA? Gotcha covered:

Acme? I'll start with this can from the early American Stores Company days:

A couple other things to throw in:

zonemad96

Quote from: Zayre88 on May 03, 2005, 06:56:35 PM
Don't forget the K-Gro garden products sold by Kmart.  :roll::roll:

I remember kgro! could they have chosen a more generic crap sounding name?

I would really like to see some more of these if anyone has pictures

zonemad96

Here is a interesting one a korvettes box fan from a "Abandoned Isolation Hospital" in new jersey

the video i caught this in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZHY4_uWEv8