Discount stores

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, May 03, 2005, 05:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

There are some good stores out there  but unfortunately some have really cheap sounding names which really puts down their image.

My list

Kmart -I know,I know its a really good store but to me whenever I hear "Kmart" I get ideas of a real ghetto looking store with merchandise piled on top of each other unorganization,outdated things medicore service and hearing "kmart" doesn't speak real quality to me and makes me think  a company  wasn't creative enough to make a unique name instead just took out all the letters of "Kresge" except for "K" and added an overused word "mart" sigh:(

Ocean State Job Lot -NOT a very EXCITING name it just speaks volumes of a store with not much in it THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THEIR OWN CARTS! they should just rename themselves to Ocean State Savings Salvage lol:insane:

BIG LOTS!/ODD LOTS - terrible name has no uniqueness to it speaks limited variety NOT MUCH name brand stuff
and even if they say "there's new stuff coming in everyday"  IN REALITY its "new stuff" from other stores that is either outdated or of little selling value again lack of name brands! even WITH their "orange exclamation point" it still doesn't save them from cheapness!

Wal-Mart-I hate this store once again this reflects a company that lacks creativity they just took Sam Walton's name took all the letters except"Wal" and put it with the most overused word "mart" SORRY GUYS, NOT CLEVER ENOUGH, AS CALDOR ,AMES,OR BRADLEES!

FYE- this is a music store BUT I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT "FYE" means the letters "F" "Y" "E" have periods at the end

OH WAIT A MINUTE NOW I KNOW its "For Your Entertainment" never mind still sounds silly to make a name from that

Service Merchandise-your going to hate me for this one I try and try but every time I think the name "Service" it automatically goes to "cheapness" IT WASN'T IT WAS A STYLISH STORE its problably their last recent logo or those off-the-wall-commercials they had lol :insane:

Family Dollar -WHAT THE HECK IS A FAMILY DOLLAR? THIS NAME MAKES NO SENSE AT ALL PLUS IT REFLECTS AN IMAGE OF A CHEAP "EVERYTHING'S A BUCK" STORE! are they trying to emphasize that they're a "family" store?

Grossman's Bargain Outlet- it just speaks "cheap cheap cheap little variety of products lack of creativity" store

tokensafari

Anything with the word "dollar" in it... it's old, something else. It's like the word mart. Can no one else come up with something original?

store215

Value City Anything with the word "Value" or "Valu" in it always makes something sound cheap. When Value City started out, the were pretty much a really junky Big Lots or Job Lot or whatever. Their stores are a lot nicer now though.

Caldor1999

Anything with the word MART usaly means cheep crap
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Anonymous

Dollar Tree, Dollar-ama, Family Dollar, Dollar general, Supervalu, Value City, anything that has a word relating to money in it cries cheap cheap. Let's not forget Wussy and Laughable Mega Achy Retarded Tacky- aka W.A.L.M.A.R.T!

Caldor1999

theres also TJ Maxx Marshells and Berlintion coat factory i mean come on who woul;d hav a store with teh word factory in it wehen all they sell is crappy beet up clouths dept store dont want any more the same gos for tj maxx and marshless there stores are so dumpy messay and teh merchandsie sucks your better off going to a dep store to get stuff like that inside of going to one of these stores there names live up to the crap they sell
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

beachgal26

I hate to admit it, but any store that has "discount" or "factory" in its name automatically makes me think that it will be junky and run-down.

Having "Mart" in the store name in the 1970's made it sound kind of new and having alot variety, but now it's so watered down, who knows what it means.  (Especially since everyone thinks of Wal-Mart as the ideal store.  Sighs......)

:insane: :insane: :insane:

SomeBeach

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
theres also TJ Maxx Marshells and Berlintion coat factory i mean come on who woul;d hav a store with teh word factory in it wehen all they sell is crappy beet up clouths dept store dont want any more the same gos for tj maxx and marshless there stores are so dumpy messay and teh merchandsie sucks your better off going to a dep store to get stuff like that inside of going to one of these stores there names live up to the crap they sell

I've never heard of the Marshless or Marshells chains. Nor have I heard of "Berlintion" Coat Factory. I've never bought "clouths" or "merchandsie" at a "dep store" either.

U-save

C-Town, It has no class, no meaning

Ameskid

Ollie's Bargain Outlet.  It's a junky store with bad paint, bad looks, and- get this- an OLD HILLBILLY for a mascot.  That's waaay off the image I'd want to reflect upon my store.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

beachgal26

Somebeach, you are not missing a thing by not having those 2 chains in your area.  Both are over-rated and have nothing but recycled junk in them.

:insane:

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by Ameskid
Ollie's Bargain Outlet.  It's a junky store with bad paint, bad looks, and- get this- an OLD HILLBILLY for a mascot.  That's waaay off the image I'd want to reflect upon my store.

I had never heard of this store so I checked out thier website and it's a pretty cool looking place. Looks like what big lots used to be. To bad they don't have any here in GA.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

The Adamantium Elbow

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I hate to admit it, but any store that has "discount" or "factory" in its name automatically makes me think that it will be junky and run-down.

Having "Mart" in the store name in the 1970's made it sound kind of new and having alot variety, but now it's so watered down, who knows what it means.  (Especially since everyone thinks of Wal-Mart as the ideal store.  Sighs......)

:insane: :insane: :insane:

Roomful Express furniture here in the PA area used to be called Freight Liquidators. To me it sounds like they buy all their stuff at train wrecks or crap that nobody would touch with a 10 foot pole.

Mobil

C3Nostalgia

It is a cheap sounding name, but you can find some good deals in the store.  These photos of the signs are from the store in Belle Vernon, PA which is a former Hills location.  Quite a few of these signs are disturbing.

C. Fontaine

:insane:!!!!!  Looks just like Building 19.  Their stores practically take pride in how ugly and disheveled they are!

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
:insane:!!!!!  Looks just like Building 19.  Their stores practically take pride in how ugly and disheveled they are!

Heh heh yes it looks like a Building 19, agreed! I once heard The theme from "Goldfinger" on the musak system there -- never anywhere have I heard that on a dept. store's musak system. I digress. I like it when these lesser known stores make cheesy ads -- they have a certain charm, and cheap hilarity to them!
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by SomeBeach
QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999

I've never heard of the Marshless or Marshells chains. Nor have I heard of "Berlintion" Coat Factory. I've never bought "clouths" or "merchandsie" at a "dep store" either.

I think Caldor1999 meant to say Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, clothes, merchandise, and department store.

I know that Caldor1999's sentences are full of typos.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by C3Nostalgia

It is a cheap sounding name, but you can find some good deals in the store.  These photos of the signs are from the store in Belle Vernon, PA which is a former Hills location.  Quite a few of these signs are disturbing.

These actually remind me of Trader Joe's in a way.

CTAmeshopper

Ollies mascot is creepy. :no:

XDeSuEhTX

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
stop&shop

I don't find anything particularly "clever" about any stores name really. The whole "mart" thing doesn't bother me, because that's what they are.

Most stores are just based on the founder's last name. Makes sense. The only one that just sounds dumb to me is of course "Wal-Mart". Why shorten a last name down to three letters that everyone is going to assoiciate with walls, not to mention the dash or star thing in between the words has always annoying me in a way.

I think the most creative would have to be Target.

* Didn't mean to quote.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Linens 'N Things - things?! Oh come on! How much more cheap can you get than that! :insane:

I think the most creative names are Target, Meijer, and ShopKo.

videogamer75

Ocean State Job Lot - Why on earth would you name your store JOB LOT? I guess they mean that they hire many people or something, but how would that attract customers to the place exactly? It sounds cheap too.

I think the most creative name is Circuit City. It sounds like the name for an amazing store that truly has everything you need, a one-stop shopping destination. :roll:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
Linens 'N Things - things?! Oh come on! How much more cheap can you get than that! :insane:

I think the most creative names are Target, Meijer, and ShopKo.

eh Linens 'N Things is kinda creative maby not the things part but its not bad as for shop ko  the ko part makes it look better if thet made it shop co then we would have a problem
Caldor Forever!

EddieJ1984

National Wholesale Liquidators sounds really cheap to me.

retailfan

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
stop&shop

I don't find anything particularly "clever" about any stores name really. The whole "mart" thing doesn't bother me, because that's what they are.

Most stores are just based on the founder's last name. Makes sense. The only one that just sounds dumb to me is of course "Wal-Mart". Why shorten a last name down to three letters that everyone is going to assoiciate with walls, not to mention the dash or star thing in between the words has always annoying me in a way.

* Didn't mean to quote.

The Star in between Wal Mart was actually changed after Sam passed on  to represent him  Now there moving it to the end and making it a Zarye logo   not quite sure why thay did that Sam would not be happy with what his empire has become

videogamer75

I don't understand why everyone thinks Wal-Mart is so dumb of a name. All they did was just take the first three letters of the founder's last name ''Walton'' and then put Mart at the end. Simple. Exactly the same way Kmart created their name (take the first letter of Kresge's name and add Mart). It's just like how most stores just take the founder's last name and add ''s'' to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by retailfan
QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
stop&shop

* Didn't mean to quote.

The Star in between Wal Mart was actually changed after Sam passed on  to represent him  Now there moving it to the end and making it a Zarye logo   not quite sure why thay did that Sam would not be happy with what his empire has become  
Sam Walton must be stirring in his grave now that THAT has happened!

Of all the home improvement retailers, I think LOWE's and MENARDS sound far more original than The Home Depot. I think The Home Depot sounds as cheap as anything with "mart" at the end of it.

jmcnamara96

People around here cal Home Depot Home Chepo