Webster Square Plaza Berlin, CT

Started by Marc82, November 15, 2009, 02:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

I've been looking at the wooded lot across the street from the Webster Square Plaza (between Schaller Subaru and Connecticut Tire) which is listed for sale. I'm not sure how far back it goes, but it would be perfect for Hobby Lobby to construct a free-standing building. They had said how they wanted to locate a store in the Newington area in the future. Since there are really no large vacancies on the Berlin Turnpike, Webster Square would be great.

It is my hope (just imagining) for a ShopRite in the Webster Square Plaza, with Hobby Lobby across the street. I don't care how out of the way this street is from the turnpike, if these two stores opened, people would come. It would be a huge draw.

So within this area would be:

Webster Square Plaza (in order):

Ocean State Job Lot
Harbor Freight Tools
Aculer Furniture
ShopRite
Family Dollar (if they want to stay)
Wah-Wah Kitchen
Tandy Leather
(with possibility of additional tenants)

On Webster Square Road between Woodlawn Road and Route 9 underpass:

Acura of Berlin
Tasca Ford
Schaller Subaru
Hobby Lobby
Powerhouse Gym
Connecticut Tire and a neighboring business.

Hobby Lobby could even place a tall pylon sign visible to Route 9, and other interested tenants could put their name on it.

ynkeesfn82

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on March 25, 2015, 04:38:15 PM
They're going to be building a medical building somewhere in the Webster Square area.

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/news/article_59dcff08-d286-11e4-a727-cf7d160c5194.html

Interesting. The article says "adjacent to Webster Square". I have no idea where that would be within Webster Square. They would have to begin some construction if they are to open in the summer.

Unless, they are purchasing the Powerhouse Gym building, as LoopNet has had it listed for sale for a number of years, yet it is still in operation. Maybe "Webster Square" is being referred to as the shopping center. If not, it would be the street. The lot I mentioned across from the plaza isn't adjacent. It sits fully on Webster Square Road. They could also be talking about property on Woodlawn Road, which connects Webster Square to the Berlin Turnpike. I'd love to find out the exact location.

AmesNewington

Tandy Leather opens June 29. It was posted on their website. The sign is already on the building. It seems that they are moving from their only CT location in East Hartford to the new Berlin store. So this isn't an added location, it's just a replacement.

No word on when Aculer Furniture is opening, but it was supposed to be this month as well. Both storefronts are currently being refurbished, one previously fire damaged and the other next to a completely destroyed Woolworth. Remarkable. Now all we need is ShopRite.

AmesNewington

The LoopNet listing for the Webster Square Plaza only lists 5,787 sq. ft. for lease. That is the former space occupied by H&H Linen/Express Coin Laundry. I'm trying to figure out why the remaining vacant space is not listed. Besides the huge space in the middle (roughly 60,000 sq. ft) there is only a 4,100 sq. ft. space vacant (between Wah Wah Kitchen and Family Dollar) and the 20,000 sq. ft. spot Job Lot didn't use of the old A&P (they still use it for offices, restrooms and storage). Everything else is leased. Is there a taker for the middle portion? This listing was updated 13 days ago, so it's very recent. In a perfect world, ShopRite got the spot (but I wish for too much).

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19259657/119-Webster-Square-Road-Berlin-CT/

Jstar1994

A Dollar Tree will be opening in the plaza to the right of the relocated Ocean State, completely filling the old A&P. The other retail spaces remain vacant, I wonder if they will close the Family Dollar since Dollar Tree owns them. It would be nice if they could get better tenants moving into this plaza to really revitalize it. Heres the link to the leasing brochure. http://oceanstatejoblot.com/realestate/pdf/1_Berlin-14.pdf

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on August 06, 2017, 08:04:16 AM
A Dollar Tree will be opening in the plaza to the right of the relocated Ocean State, completely filling the old A&P. The other retail spaces remain vacant, I wonder if they will close the Family Dollar since Dollar Tree owns them. It would be nice if they could get better tenants moving into this plaza to really revitalize it. Heres the link to the leasing brochure. http://oceanstatejoblot.com/realestate/pdf/1_Berlin-14.pdf

This has been my question ever since I found out Dollar Tree was going in. I bookmarked the real estate page a while back and check it often. I don't think Berlin has a Facebook page where people talk, as I would have asked there. I can't see how both stores would operate in the same plaza especially because of their ownership. The Family Dollar has been there for 16 or 17 years and is kind of run down inside. I can bet they will have the FD employees move over to Dollar Tree. If they DO close it, they have an even bigger gap between that space and Aculer Furniture where the other half of the plaza starts again. There is plenty of room for a supermarket or other stores.

giantsfan2016

It's definitely an interesting situation seeing how in nearby Southington the brand new Family Dollar (barely open 2 years I believe at the time of the marriage) became a second Dollar Tree. It's possible they can keep both stores in Webster Plaza since they are 2 different types of retailers. Sometimes businesses with common ownership located in the same shopping center together. Bed Bath Beyond and Buy Buy Baby are co-located in many plazas. I think one also has Harmon's too. (Which is their beauty chain). At the Crystal Mall Bed Bath Beyond and sister chain Christmas Tree Shop share the former Filene's.

As for Webster Plaza it is my opinion that someone needs to buy the plaza from Job Lot. And maybe that someone should buy the neighboring vacant car dealership, demolish it and make it part of the plaza as well.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Brammy on August 07, 2017, 09:26:33 AM
It's definitely an interesting situation seeing how in nearby Southington the brand new Family Dollar (barely open 2 years I believe at the time of the marriage) became a second Dollar Tree. It's possible they can keep both stores in Webster Plaza since they are 2 different types of retailers. Sometimes businesses with common ownership located in the same shopping center together. Bed Bath Beyond and Buy Buy Baby are co-located in many plazas. I think one also has Harmon's too. (Which is their beauty chain). At the Crystal Mall Bed Bath Beyond and sister chain Christmas Tree Shop share the former Filene's.

As for Webster Plaza it is my opinion that someone needs to buy the plaza from Job Lot. And maybe that someone should buy the neighboring vacant car dealership, demolish it and make it part of the plaza as well.

The dealership isn't vacant yet. Acura is still there as they very slowly complete the new location (which is beautiful). I was thinking another dealer or the Used Truck division of Tasca Ford which took an old factory building in back of their property could open there. Would be a shame to tear it down.

I would only hope someone would buy the plaza from Job Lot. However, I doubt Job Lot would give it up. Not sure how they work, but aside from the small improvements they did to the shopping center, it still needs A LOT of work and more tenants. Woolworths burnt down over 20 years ago and the empty space in its place has never been rebuilt. I can't understand why. Perhaps people would want to go there if there was something worthwhile.

Jstar1994

I think the old Woolworth's location would be a great spot for a Lidl's as they expand more, or a larger chain if they combine the old woolworths and Ocean State into one space. Either way, more retail in that area can really change the current vibe.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: AmesNewington on August 07, 2017, 11:18:13 AM
The dealership isn't vacant yet. Acura is still there as they very slowly complete the new location (which is beautiful).

Funny you should mention it. There is a now an article on the Meriden Record Journal's website (they put out the Berlin Citizen newspaper) than the new dealership is opening at the end of the month and the adjacent retail project by the end of the year.

FROM MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

Berlin auto dealership to open this month, neighboring development nears completion
By Ashley Kus The Berlin Citizen

BERLIN â€" Acura of Berlin is set to open before the end of the month with a neighboring retail building to open its doors by the end of the year.

“We are very excited,” said Chris Edge, economic development director for the town.

The Executive Auto Group dealership, owned by John Orsini, was first approved by the Planning and Zoning Commission in January 2016. Work began late last summer on the 8-acre parcel just north of CVS and across the street from a shopping plaza.

“We’re getting the systems up and running,” said Tony Braglia, general manager of Acura of Berlin.

Acura will move from Webster Square Road to the new 29,000-square-foot building. The dealership, the largest in the state, will feature expanded auto service and a bigger showroom.

Braglia said final paperwork has been pending and ultimately contributed to a delay in opening. Originally Acura was slated to open at the beginning of summer.

Paving and landscaping was recently completed.

The 17,250-square-foot building next door, also developed by Orsini, is in the process of being completed inside. Three retail businesses will be housed there so far.

Construction will start on a second retail building as early as late fall.

“I would love to see additional development,” Edge said.

A grand opening for Acura will be held next month. The entire plaza will be called “Berlin Plaza at 224” with signage expected in the fall.

Entry to the dealership and retail building will be off Berlin Turnpike, as well as Episcopal Road.

akus@record-journal.com 203-317-2448 Twitter: @KusReporter

AmesNewington

Wow. I guess the developers have high confidence in this project. I wonder what the three businesses set to open are going to be. This area of the Turnpike was once dead and now it is really starting to boom. It's too bad we can't get new businesses on Webster Square Road. Instead, we are losing them. There is also a proposed shopping center half way between the new plaza and the road that leads to Webster Square. If this all happens, Berlin will be catching up to Newington on the retail spectrum.