Rite Aid

Started by Caldor1999, May 02, 2005, 04:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

Quote from: Marc82 on May 09, 2008, 01:31:45 PM
We're getting a new RITE AID in Southington. It's gonna be located directly off Exit 32 from I-84 East on the property where the building that used to be Southington Chevrolet is located. No word on what's gonna happen to the Rite Aid in downtown Souhtington or the one further up Route 10 in Plainville.

What happened to "Rip Off Southington Chevrolet"?? Did they go out of business.... (I hope so!!!)

JimSawhill

Quote from: gu4ever on October 01, 2009, 10:36:33 PM
The former Wilmington, VT store with it's classic orange striped floors and vintage striped wall color in yellow, orange, blue and green.

That was next to a Grand Union if I recall... (I used to shop at both the Grand Union and Rite Aid when I was visiting the Ledges and camping!!)

BillyGr

Yes - that is now a Shaw's (the Grand Union). 
Wilmington government was recently using the old Rite Aid for offices after theirs were flooded by Irene last year.

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2012, 04:18:04 PM
The former Wilmington, VT store with it's classic orange striped floors and vintage striped wall color in yellow, orange, blue and green.

That was next to a Grand Union if I recall... (I used to shop at both the Grand Union and Rite Aid when I was visiting the Ledges and camping!!)

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on April 23, 2012, 08:31:59 PM
Wilmington government was recently using the old Rite Aid for offices after theirs were flooded by Irene last year.

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2012, 04:18:04 PM

Nice... So Shaw's is in Wilmington....I wonder how long it'll be there....I think Shaw's will be out of business soon..

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 23, 2012, 04:14:48 PM
What happened to "Rip Off Southington Chevrolet"?? Did they go out of business.... (I hope so!!!)

They got bought out by Richard Chevrolet out of Cheshire and closed it down.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc82 on June 21, 2009, 09:04:50 PM
A Rundown Rite Aid in the Northside Plaza in Bristol, CT.

They redid the exterior of Northside Plaza in Bristol last Summer. It looks nice. The Rite Aid still looks crummy. They're sprucing up the property because of the revitalization of downtown Bristol will supposedly happen soon. And more good news. CVS is looking to open across the street from this Rite Aid on the Route 6 side of the plaza.

specialdad

What other drugstore chain did the Rite Aid in Massena, NY used to be part of? Based on its signage it appears to have been either an Eckerd or a Brooks but I can't tell which. If it was an Eckerd, it most likely was a Fay's (and a Thrift Drug in all but name at one point) before that. Anyway, I found this now-closed Rite Aid pretty interesting... it took up part of a former Jamesway!

BillyGr

Quote from: JimSawhill on April 24, 2012, 03:42:34 PM
Quote from: BillyGr on April 23, 2012, 08:31:59 PM

Nice... So Shaw's is in Wilmington....I wonder how long it'll be there....I think Shaw's will be out of business soon..

Realized I never replied to this - I'm not totally sure, but I think they picked up that one (along with other former Grand Union stores) around the time of GU's bankruptcy, or shortly thereafter.

I would assume this store would do a fairly good business, given that they are the only "grocery" store in that area and the distance of 20 miles +/- to either Bennington or Brattleboro for other shopping options - even if Shaw's were to go out of existance completely, it would seem likely that someone else would pick up the spot.

Quote from: specialdad on April 14, 2013, 01:57:25 AM
What other drugstore chain did the Rite Aid in Massena, NY used to be part of? Based on its signage it appears to have been either an Eckerd or a Brooks but I can't tell which. If it was an Eckerd, it most likely was a Fay's (and a Thrift Drug in all but name at one point) before that. Anyway, I found this now-closed Rite Aid pretty interesting... it took up part of a former Jamesway!

No idea personally, but Eckerd was the more prevalent name in NY (though there were some Brooks many years ago in Albany which were sold to Revco then to CVS - unless Brooks stayed in the northern areas?).  Any pictures that might help?

JoshAustin610

The Massena, NY Eckerd was originally a Fay's; it's Eckerd store number was #5076 (Eckerds starting with 50, 57, 58, and 59 were Fay's stores).

MikeRa

There is a Rite Aid in Philadelphia that is in an old H. L. Green/McCrory's store at 1000-1008 Market Street
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

giantsfan2016

The Rite Aid at 500 Queen Street in Southington which opened in 2009 now features a Walgreen's Pharmacy inside the store. The rest of the store will eventually become a Walgreen's too.

standa

Is there a list of the Rite Aid stores that will be closing, and of the ones that will become Walgreens?

giantsfan2016

I haven't seen a list. I only know about Queen Street Southington because my Mom and I went shopping there on Tuesday. There were signs that says Walgreens Pharmacy Now Open, a Now Hiring Sign that said visit WALGREENS.COM, the Walmart Pharmacy signs over the pharmacy. Plus the cashier that rang us out told us.

If I were to guess in my area I would say Closing: 52 East Street Plainville, 430 North Main Street Bristol, and 167 Main Street Southington. All 3 are small ancient stores.

AmesNewington

Quote from: standa on January 05, 2018, 09:07:41 AM
Is there a list of the Rite Aid stores that will be closing, and of the ones that will become Walgreens?

Newington (40 Cedar Street) will become Walgreens. My family has used this Rite Aid for prescriptions since it was Brook's. They just remodeled the inside. This one should have stayed as Rite Aid. I'm curious as to if the New Britain (Stanley Street) and Berlin (Farmington Avenue) stores will change over. Berlin may close as there is a Walgreens one block over. The Newington store is down the road from the Berlin Turnpike Walgreens and also the Elmwood one. New Britain has a few Walgreens already.

BillyGr

Don't forget, there is a 3rd option - some of those stores may remain as Rite Aid stores.

In the final version of the purchases, 34 out of 77 existing CT Rite Aid stores will stay as Rite Aid (so nearly 1 out of every 2). 

Same goes for those stores in NY (323 of 596 remain Rite Aid), 62 of 68 in NH stay.

However none in ME or RI will remain Rite Aid, and only 10 of 144 in MA will, along with 6 of 37 in VT.

So it would seem likely that some in areas where they currently exist close to each other are the likely candidates for staying as Rite Aid, but no guarantee that will happen in all cases.

http://couponsinthenews.com/2017/06/29/what-will-happen-to-your-rite-aid-store-the-latest-list/ has the list I got those numbers from, along with counts for all the states Rite Aid has stores in currently.

giantsfan2016

I know Walgreen's bought Rite Aid, but it's too bad CVS couldn't have gotten the 500 Queen Street store. It could have replaced their old and small store next to ShopRite in the ShopRite Plaza. That CVS is the reason Shaw's (and now ShopRite) could not have a pharmacy. (It's all how the leases are written I guess). In Bristol the Dollar Tree was a CVS and the old Stop & Shop (that is TJ MAXX/SAVERS now) had a pharmacy. But with Stop & Shop Dollar Tree isn't allowed to sell frozen food. The same in New Britain. That Dollar Tree isn't allowed to sell frozen food because of Price Rite. I think the whole plaza is sub-leased from Stop & Shop, which was where Price Rite is now. On the opposite side of coin the Pine Plaza on Pine Street in Forestville (Bristol), which featured a Brooks Pharmacy was demolished in the mid-1990s and was replaced with the Forestville Commons plaza in 1998 and anchored by Stop & Shop - Brooks was not allowed to be part of the new plaza because Stop & Shop has a pharmacy.

AmesNewington

Quote from: BillyGr on January 06, 2018, 12:09:02 PM
Don't forget, there is a 3rd option - some of those stores may remain as Rite Aid stores.

In the final version of the purchases, 34 out of 77 existing CT Rite Aid stores will stay as Rite Aid (so nearly 1 out of every 2). 

Same goes for those stores in NY (323 of 596 remain Rite Aid), 62 of 68 in NH stay.

However none in ME or RI will remain Rite Aid, and only 10 of 144 in MA will, along with 6 of 37 in VT.

So it would seem likely that some in areas where they currently exist close to each other are the likely candidates for staying as Rite Aid, but no guarantee that will happen in all cases.

http://couponsinthenews.com/2017/06/29/what-will-happen-to-your-rite-aid-store-the-latest-list/ has the list I got those numbers from, along with counts for all the states Rite Aid has stores in currently.

So you are saying that even if certain Rite Aid stores that are now d/b/a Walgreens can maybe remain Rite Aid in the end?

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 07, 2018, 11:37:15 AM

So you are saying that even if certain Rite Aid stores that are now d/b/a Walgreens can maybe remain Rite Aid in the end?

No, I would expect that any that say that are ones that are actually converting to Walgreens at some point. 

I was thinking more along where others said that they figured a particular Rite Aid would likely close as it was close to an existing Walgreens, but those "close" stores might turn out to be some of the ones that stay as Rite Aid rather than closing outright.

They have been pretty quiet about which ones are doing what (aside from the few places people have seen these pharmacy switching signs, so it may take a bit before anyone can figure out exactly which stores are doing what.

JJBers

Quote from: BillyGr on January 07, 2018, 07:35:26 PM
Quote from: AmesNewington on January 07, 2018, 11:37:15 AM

No, I would expect that any that say that are ones that are actually converting to Walgreens at some point. 

I was thinking more along where others said that they figured a particular Rite Aid would likely close as it was close to an existing Walgreens, but those "close" stores might turn out to be some of the ones that stay as Rite Aid rather than closing outright.

They have been pretty quiet about which ones are doing what (aside from the few places people have seen these pharmacy switching signs, so it may take a bit before anyone can figure out exactly which stores are doing what.
Maybe not, it wouldn't be wild for Walgreens to purchase nearby Rite-Aid's, and shut them down to lower competition for their stores.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

MikeRa

MikeRa

Plenti program is ending in June.  as of right now, Rite Aid will still use the combo Plenti/Wellness + card for just Wellness +, at least until the merger with Albertsons is completed, and then I suspect they will migrate to the My Mixx/Just For U program

Bdubs

The Rite Aid in Norwich is closing as of June 1st. Pharmacy has to remain open for another couple weeks due to federal regulations.
This Rite Aid is an old Brooks, in a strip mall between TJ Maxx and Shop Rite among a few other small retailers. It doesn’t have a drive thru, and hasn’t been touched since it converted from Brooks. There’s also a large stand alone Walgreens a mile down the road, so it doesn’t surprise me this store was on their chopping block.
No clearance sales or anything, but the store is stocked with very limited inventory. Only 1 or 2 items of everything in the store pretty much.

JJBers

Quote from: Bdubs on May 17, 2018, 08:34:54 PM
The Rite Aid in Norwich is closing as of June 1st. Pharmacy has to remain open for another couple weeks due to federal regulations.
This Rite Aid is an old Brooks, in a strip mall between TJ Maxx and Shop Rite among a few other small retailers. It doesn’t have a drive thru, and hasn’t been touched since it converted from Brooks. There’s also a large stand alone Walgreens a mile down the road, so it doesn’t surprise me this store was on their chopping block.
No clearance sales or anything, but the store is stocked with very limited inventory. Only 1 or 2 items of everything in the store pretty much.
Awww, that was the one nearby the Five Guys. I thought the area would be spared from closings.
My Flickr

In the backcountry of Connecticut (aka Willimantic)

retailisking

AmesNewington

The Rite Aid in Berlin, CT is closing. The larger Walgreen's a block away picked up Rite Aid's prescriptions. It's no longer on the store locator on the website, however when I drove by, it looked like the actual store was still open. Perhaps they will liquidate shortly. Lights were on and the signs were still up. A sign on the building was installed indicating the moving of prescriptions to Walgreen's.

I always imagined this would happen. This Rite Aid was small and outdated from the Brook's Pharmacy days (I assume it was another small pharmacy before that), however, it did have a drive through. I think Family Dollar should relocate from Webster Square to here and either stay FD or change to a Dollar General. It's about the same size store if not a bit larger. 

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on June 10, 2018, 11:58:06 AM
I think Family Dollar should relocate from Webster Square to here and either stay FD or change to a Dollar General. It's about the same size store if not a bit larger. 

Kind of unlikely it would change from one chain to another just by moving...

(Dollar General is a separate chain - Family Dollar and Dollar Tree are under the same ownership).

Jstar1994

I think it would be a poor decision to move a dollar store to the center of the town. They are working on rebuilding the downtown area now that the train station renovations are completing. Not to mention that the dollar stores in town barely get business beyond movie theater customers and people coming off of the CT transit busses. They should subdivide that space and work to get a Starbucks or other business that will attract customers to the area.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Jstar1994 on June 10, 2018, 12:36:47 PM
I think it would be a poor decision to move a dollar store to the center of the town. They are working on rebuilding the downtown area now that the train station renovations are completing. Not to mention that the dollar stores in town barely get business beyond movie theater customers and people coming off of the CT transit busses. They should subdivide that space and work to get a Starbucks or other business that will attract customers to the area.

Well then they should close FD. It's always dead there compared to Dollar Tree. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of what I think they would do there. I'd love it if they put something else there.

giantsfan2016

The Rite Aid at 52 East Street in Plainville,  CT closed. They are no longer on the store locator. There is a sign on the pylon sign at ShopRite Plaza on Route 10 in nearby Southington that says "CVS welcomes Rite Aid Customers."

11:40PM edit. This property, which also includes an adjacent branch of Liberty Bank went on the market in December. Asking price is $1,459,199. The former Rite Aid is a little over 6,000 square feet and was originally Appel's Pharmacy.

http://files.constantcontact.com/011cb4c9501/5eb3981a-f3e5-4306-92d2-6a75a284ff1f.pdf

giantsfan2016

Went by the old Rite Aid in downtown Southington today. The grass is very overgrown. Didn't have my cell camera with me. You think I would always bring it with me when I go downtown.