Rite Aid

Started by Caldor1999, May 02, 2005, 04:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc82

A Rundown Rite Aid in the Northside Plaza in Bristol, CT.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Here's the new Rite Aid under construction on Queen Street in Southington, CT. I took this picture yesterday while stopped at a red light. The site was home to a Chevy Dealership under various names until 2007. The building was painted ORANGE for Halloween 07 and they sold Halloween stuff there. The older Rite Aid in Southington downtown will reportedly stay open.

The new Rite Aid in Southington will have it's Grand Opening on September 3rd according to information that was scrolling on its electronic sign on Thursday. As of last night the sign was turned off. :huh:

jmcnamara96

does any one know why rite aid takes jc penny cards?

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96

it vaguely has something to do with Rite Aid buying Eckerd

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57
QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96

it vaguely has something to do with Rite Aid buying Eckerd

Yes it was because JCP used to own Eckerd's and when Rite Aid bought them they continued to accept JCP cards.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

gu4ever

Attached is a photo of the closed store in Goffstown, NH.
You can see orange striped floors running through the store. This was their standard floor pattern from the late 70's through the 80's.
The floor style was changed to a standard off white tile with occasional areas of thin stripes in red and blue.
This color pallet was choosen from the colors of the sheild store logo.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

gu4ever

The stores from the 70's and 80's had the exact same stripes on the walls except they were in a rainbow of colors to include, blue, green, yellow, orange, red. It was quite colorful.
Now you'll notice this location has blue and green stripes, this was done during the renovations of this store. They utilized the green because they felt it would complement the orange in the floor.
The newer stores in the 90's had the same stripe except it was Blue and Red.

gu4ever

In the 90's they launched the great idea of Rite Express. You could mail everything you needed to right from you local drugstore. Airborne Express, UPS and USPS was offered along with photocopies, fax service and passport photos. This location originally had mailbox rentals too.
The plaza already had a photoshop store in it that offered one hour photo. So this Rite Aid did not have the photo machine. Pictures were sent out daily through Qualex services.
Rite Express was short lived and quickly replaced in new stores exclusively to the 1 hour photo.

gu4ever

This store had the traditional blue Aisle Marker. It ran through the center of the store from left to right. This was standard in all renovated stores as well as all the stores opening during the early 90's.
It often was done in blue, however it was also done in the red color "same as the express canopy". This color proved hard to read from the white and light redish hughes that where used.
You will also notice that a deep blue stripe runs painted across the back of the entire store. in the traditional stores of the 70's and 80's, both the front and back of the store would have built in canopy mirrored valances. This ran the entire lenght of the back and front of the store. It had signs in green letters posted over the "Pharmacy" and up front at the "Cashier" station.

gu4ever

And here is a picture of the brand new store that has been long awaited...

mikey7290

The store with the blue aisle marker and the green and white stripes reminds me of the Rite Aid in Canton, NY.  The store is in the Midtown Plaza and is about 6,000 square feet.  It looks just like that inside except there is no Rite Express.  Here is what it looks like from the outside.

gu4ever

Here is the Nashua, NH store. In most locations they have a higher ceiling so the striped walls are more apparent.

gu4ever

The Nashua location opened during the early 90's, one of the few remaining Rite Express canopy's with a 1 hour photo lab included.

gu4ever

The red and white version of the aisle marker.

gu4ever

Not a very exciting photo, but it shows the blue and red stripe together in the front of the store, and also repeated in the back of the store. A solid red stripe is repeated throughout the aisles of the rest of the store.

gu4ever

This store opened in the late 90's or tried to. It completed it's construction and then sat completly finished, with store sign attached for a year before it finally opened it's doors.  After several years of poor performance Rite Aid sold this location to Osco Drug, who moved from it's former location further down on South Willow St.
Osco Drug spent alot of money renovating the store and removing the RA-1 concept "aisles going in every direction, with a main street Aisle looping through the center of the store". Within a few years Brooks stepped in and once again, the store was transformed and a new sign attached to the exterior.
Everytime I drive by this location now, and see the new Rite Aid Banner on the store sign I shake my head and wonder...
That is a ton of money to spend on transforming it to look like an Osco, to look like a Brooks and again back to a Rite Aid. :huh:

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever

I like the looks of that new one store better than the new on they just built in Southington. I still gotta get pics of the new store now that it's been completed, but not yet opened. (I also gotta get pix of Taco Bell's New Paint Job and BK's new paint job. Boy am I lazy).

Zayre88

A similar Rite Aid in North Hampton NH (Opened in 2008 I think):

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88

A similar Rite Aid in North Hampton NH (Opened in 2008 I think):
Wellby Superdrug sat across the street in the shopping center "this was the store that I spent a week training at before the Milford, NH store opened."  In 1992 they were taken over by Rite Aid and eventually expanded the store by moving down to the corner of the shopping center. Now they have the free standing store shown by Zayre88's photo in the previous post.

gu4ever

Here's the Rite Aid in Wilmington, VT. You can see the label scar on the building from the former sign. This location has moved into a brand new free standing location a block away.

gu4ever

The former Wilmington, VT store with it's classic orange striped floors and vintage striped wall color in yellow, orange, blue and green.

gu4ever

The interior view of the empty store, you can see the mirrored valance that runs along the back wall of the store. This was a traditional piece of architecture along with the orange striped floors. The pharmacy sits in the back left corner and the managers office is located in the front right corner out of view.

Marc82

The new Southington Rite Aid is really nice. Surprisingly it's not open 24/7.

ameskmart1

Boise, ID (now closed) formerly Skaggs, Osco, PayLess
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

nims57

Rite Aid likes to close ex-Eckerd stores when their leases expire. They lie and say "we've moved".

jmcnamara96

When was this design introduced? Theres one in Pelham NH photo credit is to d_fife

retailisking

http://www.drugstorenews.com/article/report-walmart-may-be-eyeing-rite-aid

Crain's New York Business (referenced in the above linked story) is reporting on rumors that Walmart might buy troubled Rite Aid to kick its small store strategy into high gear, get into more urban areas and grow its stagnant US business. There are a few issues with this:

1.  Rite Aid is union, while Walmart is not
2.  Integration that could take years to sort out (not every acquirer is as adept as CVS)
3.  Walmart hasn't exactly hit a home run with smaller format stores as of yet
4.  Rite Aid is in a lot of strip centers where there are restrictions as to what it can carry due to competing retailers in the same center; Walmart would inherit these restrictions even as it tries to alter Rite Aid's merchandise mix

Thoughts???

MikeRa

Here's a Rite Aid that's in a building that was built for Eckerd Pharmacy, but the merger took place before this location opened.  This location is at 9910 Frankford Avenue, in Philadelphia, PA
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JoshAustin610

This store was actually under construction as an Eckerd, but was already a Rite Aid by the time it opened; as a result it has a Rite Aid layout inside (the prototype with cosmetics in the middle of the store), but an Eckerd exterior.  The shopping center seemed like it was demolished and rebuilt in pieces; everything around Rite Aid and Blockbuster was knocked down, then once those stores moved the old stores were demoed and new stores were built in their place connecting the already built sections.  I believe it ended up being the first Eckerd to relocate post-Rite Aid.