HomeTown & Old Country Buffet

Started by d_fife, January 11, 2006, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawford

The Old Country Buffet in Seekonk closed up at some point last week. I'll miss this place, when I was a member of the Assemblies of God my youth group would go here twice a month. Several local restaurants have already put up fliers on the building directing traffic to their establishments. No idea what is anything is going here, the Tweeter next door is still vacant after the chain's bankruptcy.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 21, 2012, 08:25:03 PM
So with Waterbury closed, the list shows that the one in West Hartford closed on the 19th. That sucks!

jeez, the OCB in West Hartford used to be a hangout for me and a local group that used to use the YWCA in Hartford. That place was busy when we came there monthly.

Zayre88

Is there a difference between HomeTown & Old Country Buffet ?

Maine Mall's Old Country Buffet is now a HomeTown Buffet.

ynkeesfn82

I don't think so. Both are part of BUFFET INC. Although I never went the one in Manchester, CT was originally Old Country Buffet, but has since switched banners to Hometown.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 10, 2012, 03:41:57 PM
I don't think so. Both are part of BUFFET INC. Although I never went the one in Manchester, CT was originally Old Country Buffet, but has since switched banners to Hometown.

They were almost all originally Old Country Buffet when they opened in the mid-90s, at least in CT. Wethersfield was at least. I never understood why they switched names. To this day, I thought of them still as the "Country Buffet".

ynkeesfn82

There was an Old Country Buffet very briefly in New Britain some time in the 90s. It didn't last very long. I think before that it was Abdow's Big Boy's. Then after OCB it became a Hollywood Video. Somewhere in the same area today is a very disgusting (at least according to my parents) Chinese Buffet.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on July 10, 2012, 06:37:42 PM
There was an Old Country Buffet very briefly in New Britain some time in the 90s. It didn't last very long. I think before that it was Abdow's Big Boy's. Then after OCB it became a Hollywood Video. Somewhere in the same area today is a very disgusting (at least according to my parents) Chinese Buffet.

Oh I know where that is. It's in Downtown near the NewBrite plaza. Even back in the 90s, that plaza was dangerous. Isn't the chinese buffet called Super Buffet or something?

retailisking

Do you get the feeling that BUFFETS isn't long for this world? They've gone through bankruptcy twice and are still closing locations.

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on July 10, 2012, 07:11:30 PM
Do you get the feeling that BUFFETS isn't long for this world? They've gone through bankruptcy twice and are still closing locations.

I heard the main reason they shut down West Hartford and Wethersfield was because of patrons letting in family members through the Exit doors, therefore having them eat for free. I don't know how the cashiers or other employees never saw this. One of my dad's co-workers saw something like this happen in Wethersfield. No doubt it happened in West Hartford. I wonder how the new Hibachi Buffet will do in that spot when it opens.

retailisking

Quote from: AmesNewington on July 10, 2012, 09:31:09 PMI heard the main reason they shut down West Hartford and Wethersfield was because of patrons letting in family members through the Exit doors, therefore having them eat for free.

That sounds almost like an urban legend; I find it hard to believe that Buffets wouldn't clean house and hire new management if this was going on. Buffets is still looking to emerge from its latest Chapter 11, and there are some eye-opening disclosures in their latest filing that make it plain that the buffet concept has lots of inherent pitfalls.

http://nrn.com/article/buffets-inc-discloses-details-ch-11-exit-plan

ynkeesfn82

BUFFET INC (Hometown Buffet, Old Country Buffet, etc) will be featured on Undercover Boss on Friday October 18th at 8PM on CBS.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on October 04, 2013, 08:21:44 PM
BUFFET INC (Hometown Buffet, Old Country Buffet, etc) will be featured on Undercover Boss on Friday October 18th at 8PM on CBS.

I watched Undercover Boss BUFFET Inc. This is a new CEO that took over at then end of 2012. They are currently working on upgrading the restaurants - food, decor, people, etc. Something is seriously wrong with the company. They went from several billion dollars in sales in 2006 to filing for bankruptcy less than 3 years later! And of course they filed again and now they are out. They did not say whether or not they are opening new locations or not.

The 2 locations in left in Connecticut remain open in Manchester and Milford.

Former CT Locations:

Waterbury: Buffalo Wild Wings

West Hartford: Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet (Chinese Buffet)

Wethersfield: World Buffet (Chinese Buffet)

New Britain: (Closed Years ago) Kool Smiles Kid's Dentist

Hudsons81

The Old Country Buffet at the Southgate Shopping Center in Southgate, Michigan opened in probably the early 1990's in what was originally Kresge. It briefly became Hometown Buffet in the mid-2000's before reverting back to Old Country Buffet only to close in early 2012. It is now All American Buffet.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Marc B on October 30, 2013, 05:41:38 PM

Former CT Locations:

Waterbury: Buffalo Wild Wings

West Hartford: Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet (Chinese Buffet)

Wethersfield: World Buffet (Chinese Buffet)

New Britain: (Closed Years ago) Kool Smiles Kid's Dentist

The former Hometown Buffet in Wethersfield which became World Buffet is now Buffalo Wild Wings.

TheFugitive

The Old Country Buffet in the Southland Shopping Center near Century III Mall became
the Old Towne Buffet.  Locally owned by a Chinese family, it was an eclectic mix of
Chinese food plus all of the standard fare that you used to find at Old Country.

Recently they moved up the road to the former Tambellini's (a VERY elegant and famous
local restaurant in its day), so the original Old Country space is now vacant.

ynkeesfn82

74 more locations across the country closed abruptly on Thursday 2/4/16. I couldn't find a complete list but I know Pittsfeld, Mass closed.

Chuck E. Cheese

I go to HomeTown in Milford occasionally; They haven't changed in all the years I've been there.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on February 04, 2016, 09:04:41 PM
I go to HomeTown in Milford occasionally; They haven't changed in all the years I've been there.

I used to go to the one in Waterbury a few times a year. The last time I went was on May 24th, 2011 seven months before they closed. (I went by myself for my 29th birthday, which was May 23rd). I used to live in the West End of Bristol and it was about a 15 or 20 minute drive up Route 69 for me.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on February 04, 2016, 09:03:15 PM
74 more locations across the country closed abruptly on Thursday 2/4/16. I couldn't find a complete list but I know Pittsfeld, Mass closed.

I use to go to Wethersfield and than Manchester, that sad they all closed.

ynkeesfn82

Manchester and Milford CT remain open. Found another one that closed. - Catonsville, Maryland just outside of Baltimore.

TheFugitive

Industry analysts claim that these chains "cater too much to an older clientele" and "are ill-suited to provide younger customers with the fresh, organic, healthy, upscale cuisine they are seeking".

Once you turn 50 in this society nobody wants your money I guess.

JimSawhill

Quote from: TRU7536 on February 05, 2016, 12:59:25 PM
Quote from: Marc B on February 04, 2016, 09:03:15 PM

I use to go to Wethersfield and than Manchester, that sad they all closed.

The group I used to go swimming with used to go to the one on Kane Street...I miss it...

buzz86us

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 08, 2016, 12:11:39 PM
Industry analysts claim that these chains "cater too much to an older clientele" and "are ill-suited to provide younger customers with the fresh, organic, healthy, upscale cuisine they are seeking".

I would seriously have gone to one of these a lot if the one in Schenectady was still open. What do they mean fresh organic healthy.. last I was at an Old Country Buffet they had the best salad bar..

Oh well Old Country Buffet we hardly knew yee

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/07/owner-of-old-country-hometown-buffets-closes-restaurants-files-for-bankruptcy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Pikapower

Quote from: buzz86us on March 07, 2016, 03:56:28 PM
Quote from: TheFugitive on February 08, 2016, 12:11:39 PM

I would seriously have gone to one of these a lot if the one in Schenectady was still open. What do they mean fresh organic healthy.. last I was at an Old Country Buffet they had the best salad bar..

Oh well Old Country Buffet we hardly knew yee

https://consumerist.com/2016/03/07/owner-of-old-country-hometown-buffets-closes-restaurants-files-for-bankruptcy/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

It's a good thing I went to my local Old Country Buffet last week, It could have been my last time eating there!  :(
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Old Country Buffet in Green Bay, Wisconsin closed without notice recently.

Chuck E. Cheese

Hometown in Milford closed. :-/ Now There is only one in Manchester and an Old Country in New York.

BillyGr

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on March 19, 2016, 08:58:30 AM
Hometown in Milford closed. :-/ Now There is only one in Manchester and an Old Country in New York.

And the only one in NY even close appears to be on Long Island (the other two are Buffalo and Elmira, both farther west).

Chuck E. Cheese

I was in Milford for a while recently so I snapped a photo of the exterior of one of my favorite (now closed) eateries. How interesting, lol.
http://i.imgur.com/GHLT0ZRh.jpg

JimSawhill

Quote from: Patrick Boots CEC on March 19, 2016, 08:58:30 AM

When did Wethersfield Old Country Buffet closed? Does anyone know what's there now...

Chuck E. Cheese

I wasn't even aware there was one there, only NY and Milford. Hmm..