HomeTown & Old Country Buffet

Started by d_fife, January 11, 2006, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoGuysJerseyGirl

Multiple Old Country and Hometown Buffets closed a few years back, leaving only 5 in NJ. We joined the eClub but failed to receive the usual October coupon for my husband's birthday. I emailed them several times and tried to call the 800 number, but kept getting a recording. After complaining directly on their web site, I received an email apologizing and saying they were "in transition". They said a coupon was attached, but it wasn't.

Anyway, this makes me wonder if the chain(s) are closing soon. Anybody hear any news?

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
The location near me in the Philly 'burbs opened in 2000, and closed a few months ago. I'm not too sad..while the food was edible, it was a pretty disgusting atmosphere and smelled badly (eg. unwashed overweight people)

Which one was that?

I think they were started by Dayton Hudson Corp.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoGuysJerseyGirl
Multiple Old Country and Hometown Buffets closed a few years back, leaving only 5 in NJ. We joined the eClub but failed to receive the usual October coupon for my husband's birthday. I emailed them several times and tried to call the 800 number, but kept getting a recording. After complaining directly on their web site, I received an email apologizing and saying they were "in transition". They said a coupon was attached, but it wasn't.

Anyway, this makes me wonder if the chain(s) are closing soon. Anybody hear any news?

In January 2008 Buffet Inc. Filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection. As part of a restructuring plan they closed several locations. I'm not sure how many. I believe they are out of Chapter 11 now.

gu4ever

The Old Country Buffet in Medford, MA.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

At the Old Country Buffet.

gu4ever

This is another buffet restaurant chain that's really good. They have locations a lot closer to New Hampshire. I visit the Old Country Buffet location in Medford, MA.
It's really yummy. :D

http://www.oldcountrybuffet.com/

gu4ever

The South Portland, ME Old Country Buffet at the Maine Mall.

TwoGuysJerseyGirl

Haven't gone in a while since they've closed most of their locations in NJ. It goes down a notch each time we go since the bankruptcy, so on the way up the Parkway my hubby predicted that the next change they'd make would be to charge for drinks, like Golden Corral. We got there and, sure enough! They lowered the price for breakfast a buck but added a buck fifty for coffee. I just shook my head and mourned the loss of the old, great Old Country Buffet. I miss them! I think we won't be going back, as it's a bit of a trek to drive up there in the AM, for such little reward.

gu4ever

Quote from: TwoGuysJerseyGirl on July 24, 2010, 10:36:14 AM
Haven't gone in a while since they've closed most of their locations in NJ. It goes down a notch each time we go since the bankruptcy, so on the way up the Parkway my hubby predicted that the next change they'd make would be to charge for drinks, like Golden Corral. We got there and, sure enough! They lowered the price for breakfast a buck but added a buck fifty for coffee. I just shook my head and mourned the loss of the old, great Old Country Buffet. I miss them! I think we won't be going back, as it's a bit of a trek to drive up there in the AM, for such little reward.
I guess I'm lucky, only a 45 minute drive to a pretty decent ocb in Medford, MA. Usually go twice a month with friends. Interestingly they are charging for drinks... I'm still okay with that because the drinks are straight up self serve. When my friends and I hit the Golden coral in Springfeild, MA... The food is much better, however the drink station is held hostage by the waitstaff that MIGHT stop back by to see if you need a refill before you leave.....

ynkeesfn82

My friend Jeff and I went to the one in Waterbury, Connecticut on Friday. It was good. They now charge $1.39 for unlimited beverages - (soda, coffee, cappichino, milk, icees) at Lunch and $1.99 at Dinner. Going for lunch it now comes to $8.88 for one person. It's not bad. I've paid more than that at the Chinese-American Royal Buffet in The Shoprite Plaza in Waterbury.

ynkeesfn82

Hometown Buffet in Waterbury, CT closed for good.  :'(

gu4ever

Quote from: Marc B on November 28, 2011, 06:33:42 PM

No more all you can eat buffet?!!  >:(
My favorite is still Golden Corral in Springfeild, MA.
So worth the drive from NH.

retailisking

The Old Country Buffet in South Portland, ME closed for renovations recently and reopened under the HomeTown Buffet banner.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: gu4ever on November 28, 2011, 10:34:17 PM
No more all you can eat buffet?!!  >:(
My favorite is still Golden Corral in Springfeild, MA.
So worth the drive from NH.

Sorry Chuck, I'm not going to cross state lines just for lunch (or dinner).   ;)

Hometown in Waterbury was just 25 mins from me. I live right off Route 69 in Bristol so at The end of my street I would just turn left onto Route 69 follow it through the rest of Bristol, Wolcott, and Waterbury and then make a left onto Brass Mill Drive and a Right into the parking lot of The Brass Mill Commons.

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: Marc B on November 28, 2011, 06:33:42 PM

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

dang it I thought they would stay there forever!!!!

Any idea whats replacing it?

EddieJ1984

81 locations are closing as buffets inc filed for bamkruptcy.
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2012/01/18/buffets-file-bankruptcy-again.html

Specifically for me I am affected by this one
http://www.examiner.com/in-pictures-in-philadelphia/old-country-buffet-shuts-bensalem-location

The Old Country Buffet in Bensalem on street road closed
That sucks, as it was the only ocb I would go to. Hell I was JUST there 2 weekends ago, crazy it closed, it surely got business.
The one near adams ave is too close to olney (ghetto) of philly, so I never want to go there.

I even took a quick crappy pic with my cell phone 2 weekends ago!

Zayre88

Is there a list of the 81 locations closing?

gu4ever

Quote from: Zayre88 on January 21, 2012, 09:17:44 AM
Is there a list of the 81 locations closing?
Click on the attachment to open the pdf file of closing locations.

TRU7536

So with Waterbury closed, the list shows that the one in West Hartford closed on the 19th. That sucks!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: TRU7536 on January 21, 2012, 08:25:03 PM
So with Waterbury closed, the list shows that the one in West Hartford closed on the 19th. That sucks!

Son of a.......

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on January 21, 2012, 09:39:43 PM
Son of a.......

Looks like there are 3 left in CT, from the website (all under the HomeTown Name):
http://www.oldcountrybuffet.com/locations?state=CT

Manchester, Milford and Wethersfield (which appears to be between Waterbury and Hartford, no?).

Now, how they wound up leaving the one in Pittsfield, MA I don't know. 
They had closed the couple in the Albany (NY) area in the past few years and now with closing the West Springfield one as well it leaves that one kind of by itself (all the rest remaining in MA appear to be east of Worcester).  http://www.oldcountrybuffet.com/locations?state=MA

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on January 22, 2012, 03:01:28 PM
Quote from: Marc B on January 21, 2012, 09:39:43 PM
Son of a.......

Looks like there are 3 left in CT, from the website (all under the HomeTown Name):
http://www.oldcountrybuffet.com/locations?state=CT

Manchester, Milford and Wethersfield (which appears to be between Waterbury and Hartford, no?).

All 3 are too far for me. The Waterbury one which closed in December was the closest and then the West Hartford one was the next closest.
Now, how they wound up leaving the one in Pittsfield, MA I don't know. 
They had closed the couple in the Albany (NY) area in the past few years and now with closing the West Springfield one as well it leaves that one kind of by itself (all the rest remaining in MA appear to be east of Worcester).  http://www.oldcountrybuffet.com/locations?state=MA

ynkeesfn82

The Waterbury one, which closed in December already has a new tenant in the works - Buffalo Wild Wings!!!!!!  :) :) :) :) Tentatively scheduled to open on 5/19/12.

buzz86us

yeah both the Albany and Schenectady ones shut down. I hadn't eaten there in a long time.

GothicPrincess

Ok, you all know I went to OCB quite a few times, but since the last time I posted in this thread, in 2008...those sons of biscuits CLOSED my OCB!!!!! Dam crackheads don't know what they are doing. Our place was clean, service was incredible, people were awesome, and it was always pretty busy. And they closed. I found out the day AFTER they closed, when I was planning on going there to eat. Jack holes. I have now moved across the highway to the NEW IHOP, next to Barnes & Noble. I'm still pissed though...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

ynkeesfn82

According to the landlord's website a new place called Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet opened in the former Hometown Buffet in the Prospect Plaza on Kane Street in West Hartford.

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on June 26, 2012, 12:57:51 PM
Dangumit. Hometown Buffet in Wethersfield, CT has closed.  >:(

http://articles.courant.com/2012-06-25/business/hc-hometown-buffet-wethersfield-20120625_1_hometown-buffet-bankruptcy-protection-bankruptcy-filing

Are you kidding me! :(

Now where am i going to go for a secret meal!
This blows! Are they really doing this bad?

MikeRa

There are only 3 Old Country Buffets left in SE Pennsylvania:

• 1090 EAST LANCASTER AVENUE DOWNINGTOWN, PA 19335
  • 650 COMMERCE BOULEVARD FAIRLESS HILLS, PA 19030
  • 4640 ROOSEVELT BOULEVARD PHILADELPHIA, PA 19124

And 2 in all of New Jersey:

• Old Country Buffet: 1350 HURFFVILLE ROAD DEPTFORD, NJ 08096
  • Hometown Buffet: 561 U.S. ROUTE 1 SOUTH EDISON, NJ 08817
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on June 26, 2012, 12:57:51 PM
Dangumit. Hometown Buffet in Wethersfield, CT has closed.  >:(

http://articles.courant.com/2012-06-25/business/hc-hometown-buffet-wethersfield-20120625_1_hometown-buffet-bankruptcy-protection-bankruptcy-filing

This is sort of sad for me. This is where my family used to go since it opened as "Old Country Buffet". We haven't been there in a long while (I'd say since late 2008). So maybe it had went downhill. But, I remember the Wethersfield one being pretty popular (almost an institution) and ALWAYS busy. Tons of memories here. It's hard to believe they actually closed. Nothing from my childhood is left anymore, and that was just the 90s.   :-[

I also am not sure what's going on at the former West Hartford location. I did find the site plan saying that Hibachi Grill is going in that spot, but I don't see anything going on there. I did notice they covered up the doors in some sort of wrap and through the plastic and the blinds in the windows I saw the lights were still on inside. Maybe they are working inside.