Main Menu

CVS

Started by Caldor1999, May 02, 2005, 04:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Front end sales are suffering a bit, but the gains in the back end (pharmacy) are more than making up for it on the earnings front. None of its major rivals have followed suit in eliminating tobacco from their stores AFAIK.

TheFugitive

I thought the rationale behind ever-bigger stand-alone drug stores was that insurance companies were increasingly putting the squeeze on pharmacy profits.  Hence they were counting on customers to wander the aisles and buy more and more stuff as they waited for their prescriptions.

JimSawhill

Quote from: jason83080 on May 03, 2015, 11:25:55 AM
The newscasters on ABC2 there called that shortly after it was set ablaze. Personally, I think it's become such an icon of what happened, it should just be reopened as a memorial/museum to what happened. Someone already tagged the side of the building. Why not turn it into something positive?

Yes, a museum of what happens when people riots -- businesses flee the area.... Hartford's north end hadn't had a major supermarket since. Now, Shop-Rite is going into the area. It was 45 years since Stop&Shop and Finast burned down in the 68 riots.

Hudsons81

Quote from: JimSawhill on August 15, 2015, 10:00:58 PM
Quote from: jason83080 on May 03, 2015, 11:25:55 AM
The newscasters on ABC2 there called that shortly after it was set ablaze. Personally, I think it's become such an icon of what happened, it should just be reopened as a memorial/museum to what happened. Someone already tagged the side of the building. Why not turn it into something positive?

Yes, a museum of what happens when people riots -- businesses flee the area.... Hartford's north end hadn't had a major supermarket since. Now, Shop-Rite is going into the area. It was 45 years since Stop&Shop and Finast burned down in the 68 riots.

That actually reminds me of how much of Detroit ended up into what it is today, although it now has two Meijer stores-and believe me, this is after a long period of supermarket chains failing in the city ever since a few A&P stores were burned down during the riots of 1967-which were, in fact, the most destructive in American history prior to the 1992 unrest in Los Angeles.

TheFugitive

The Hill District of Pittsburgh also had riots and burnings in '68.
Residents have long complained about being in a "food desert" with no
grocery stores within easy commuting distance.  Particularly if you don't own a car.

After 45 years of pressing this issue a Shop n' Save location finally opened a couple
of years ago.  MASSIVE public subsidies went into enticing them to come here.  Several
other chains had bailed on the idea.

I am guessing the Meijers stores in Detroit were enticed to come in with
similar taxpayer-funded incentives.

Hudsons81

Quote from: Hudsons81 on October 08, 2014, 03:37:02 PM
The first is in the Southgate Shopping Center, but in it's own separate building not attached to the center itself located at the Eureka Road traffic light entrance. It opened in 1998 and may have been the very last Arbor Drugs ever opened, along with the CVS in the outlot of the Model T Plaza on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park, Michigan.

The exterior of the same store. Photo taken by Google in July 2015.

ynkeesfn82

The new CVS on North Street (Route 6) in Bristol, Connecticut is almost finished. It's replacing the store round the corner at 59 North Main Street across from the site where The Bristol Center Mall used to be located.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The CVS locations in my area were former OSCO Drug locations.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 05, 2015, 12:16:14 PM
The CVS locations in my area were former OSCO Drug locations.

Bristol, Connecticut

839 Farmington Avenue - built from the ground up on the site of the former LaMonico's Pizza
60 Middle Street - Built from the ground up where there was an old historic house
59 North Main Street - Built from the ground up when the built/rebuilt Park Plaza (closing soon)
North Street - Built from the ground up replaced a rundown strip of building and a former Jiffy Lube which part of became Enterprise and a house that used to be home to Century 21 A-Gold Realty. *Opening Soon*

Southington, Connecticut

724 Queen Street - In Shoprite Plaza. Not sure when it opened. The part of the plaza it is in was built in 87 I believe.
326 Main Street - Built from the ground up in 2000 where Mitchell Ford used to be.

*Old Location closed when the 326 Main Street Store open* 200 Main Street. Was First National Grocery Store until 72. Then was Guido's Super Market until '86. Sat empty for a few years before CVS took 8,000+ Square Feet.

Farmington, Connecticut
*Orignal Location. Closed a few years back.* 188 Main Street Post Office Square Plaza. Built from the ground up when they built a new building in the plaza housing a couple other stores besides CVS

*Current Location* 330 Main. Built from the ground up on the site of the former Silo Restaurant.

Plainville, Connecticut

14 Farmington Ave - Was Greenfield's Supermarket and Later Big Y.

New Britain, Connecticut
177 Columbus Blvd. - Built from the ground up on the site of the former courthouse. (Originally located across the street in Columbus Plaza)

713 West Main - CorWest Plaza. Not sure if they rebuilt it when they redid the plaza in 1999 or 2000.

busman_49

Here's a little something to lighten up your Friday:

California man dresses as CVS receipt, redeems discount

:D

giantsfan2016

The CVS on East Main Street in Meriden has moved to a brand new location on Broad Street.

From MYRECORDJOURNAL.COM

CVS moves from East Main to Broad Street in Meriden
By Mary Ellen Godin Record-Journal staff

MERIDEN â€" The East Main Street CVS has moved to its new home on Broad Street.
The new CVS, at 143 Broad St., opened this week. It has two drive-through windows. A new left-turn lane was created to move traffic through the intersection that connects Broad Street, Ann Street and Gale Avenue. The former CVS, at 679 E. Main St., closed recently and moved its employees and merchandise to the Broad Street CVS. Prior to becoming a CVS, the East Main Street store was Kaye’s Pharmacy, founded by Samuel Kalmanowitz, who ran it independently until it was sold to CVS in 2003. The chain kept the Kaye’s name on the building and prescription labels for some time to benefit from the customer loyalty that Kalmanowitz built at the store. The Broad Street CVS is 14,000 square feet and spans three parcels â€" 167, 153 and 143 Broad St. Several buildings were demolished to make way for the pharmacy. The store has parking for 68 cars.

retailisking

Reading between the lines, it appears that its decision to get out of the tobacco business is proving costly to the retail side of CVS
http://www.retaildive.com/news/strong-cvs-pharmacy-results-belie-retail-weakness/435834/

TheFugitive

My employer recently changed health insurance plans.

The new insurer apparently has negotiated a pricing deal with CVS on prescriptions.
They are trying to encourage us to have our scrips filled there.

As part of that campaign CVS just sent me a new version of their rewards card that
I've had for years.   This one claims to get me additional discounts as a customer of
that insurance company, provided I get both my prescriptions AND general merchandise
at CVS.  It is specifically branded and linked to my health insurer.

I for one am not comfortable with the whole arrangement.

That data from the POS scans is going somewhere.
What if I buy things from CVS that are not necessarily healthy choices?
A few bags of candy?  Two-liter bottles of Coca-Cola?  God help me if I smoked
and they still sold tobacco.

And what if I buy over-the-counter meds?  If I buy an antacid 3 times, does that
point to some underlying health issue that my insurer is going to want to start digging
into?

This looks to me to be just another way to rat out our lifestyle choices to health insurers.
I for one have completely stopped shopping at CVS as a result.

Chuck E. Cheese

They've made it mostly a convenience store now..

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on February 10, 2017, 09:13:25 AM
As part of that campaign CVS just sent me a new version of their rewards card that
I've had for years.   This one claims to get me additional discounts as a customer of
that insurance company, provided I get both my prescriptions AND general merchandise
at CVS.  It is specifically branded and linked to my health insurer.

Unless they've changed it, that card is only good for a bit of an extra discount on CVS branded items. 

You can still use your regular red card for normal deals as there is no link between the two.

retailisking

CVS is cutting hours at their location at the struggling Pine Tree Shopping Center in Portland, ME. It's a tiny, low-volume store to begin with. I imagine they won't renew their lease when it's up. At one point I thought they would relocate to a larger space at the plaza (Lord knows there are plenty of those) but it appears they've given up entirely on this location.

Zayre88

Quote from: retailisking on February 23, 2017, 09:30:13 PM
CVS is cutting hours at their location at the struggling Pine Tree Shopping Center in Portland, ME. It's a tiny, low-volume store to begin with. I imagine they won't renew their lease when it's up. At one point I thought they would relocate to a larger space at the plaza (Lord knows there are plenty of those) but it appears they've given up entirely on this location.

So many pharmacies are leaving shopping centers for new freestanding buildings located on street corners.

Pikapower

Quote from: Zayre88 on February 24, 2017, 05:52:01 PM

So many pharmacies are leaving shopping centers for new freestanding buildings located on street corners.

I think it so that they can have a drive-thru pick up window for people to pick up their prescriptions.
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

retailisking

Quote from: Pikapower on February 24, 2017, 09:21:09 PM

I think it so that they can have a drive-thru pick up window for people to pick up their prescriptions.

I'm now hearing that they'll be closing when their lease is up.

Bdubs

I'm not sure if there are any CVS's left here in CT that are in strip malls. The have all moved to free standing locations. All of their mall locations have been long gone as well.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: Bdubs on February 25, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
I'm not sure if there are any CVS's left here in CT that are in strip malls. The have all moved to free standing locations. All of their mall locations have been long gone as well.

Off the top of my head in Connecticut I know Southington, Unionville and Plainville all have locations in strip malls.

Southington in the Shoprite Plaza. Unionville in that plaza near that Green Bridge. Plainville it's on an end cap of the plaza that includes a Verizon Store and Vacant Space. The building used to be Greenfield's and until 93ish Big Y.

Other plazas such as Centennial Plaza in Meriden and Cor-West Plaza in New Britain have free-standing CVS locations.

MikeRa

The CVS on Bristol Road and Hulmeville Road [PA Route 513] has the current interior facade and new exterior signaage with the CVS "Heart" logo
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

At over 60,000 square feet the former Katz Drugs was several times larger than their typical 12,000 sq. ft. It also had a distinctive zig-zag roofline. Years of neglect really show in the condition of the roof.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2019/03/04/cvs-store-location-glenstone-close-april-fools-day/3054796002

Retail Regents

The Scotia one was replaced last year. The Revco convert was torn down to make room for the new one built next to it.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 18, 2019, 11:50:25 PM
The Scotia one was replaced last year. The Revco convert was torn down to make room for the new one built next to it.

Odd, since that Revco was one of (if not the) only one in the area that was a newer store not part of a shopping plaza to begin with...

Everything Community

Here's a CVS pharmacy in the Rockville section of Vernon, CT! This building & the interior looks to be from the early 2000s (in our opinion). The one on the other side of Vernon (Rte. 83) still preserves the exact building on the exterior with those signs still intact but renovated on the inside.

Retail Regents

What's the story with this location? It's clearly a former Rite Aid, and it's quite obvious with the blue trim and ceiling.

buzz86us

Could it have been an Eckerd?

Retail Regents

This one was built as Rite Aid, sometime in the late 1990s. Has the diamond windows like a typical late 1990s Rite Aid. The restrooms have the original white vinyl tile with the occasional light blue tile(s).

BillyGr

Built as Rite Aid and then closed when they were having financial issues - hadn't been around too long as I remember.

CVS used to be down 146 in the small shopping plaza (the one that was in the news this week for a gas leak) and moved in shortly after Rite Aid closed up and has been there since.

Around the same time Rite Aid was building a store on Central Avenue and Fuller in Albany - that one never opened, and was taken over by the current tenant (Goodwill).

Can't remember exactly when this was, but probably either very late 1990's (like 1999) or early 2000's - somewhere between their acquisitions of Thrifty in 1996 and Brooks/Eckerd in 2007.