Main Menu

CVS

Started by Caldor1999, May 02, 2005, 04:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 04, 2014, 02:54:58 PM
I hear that CVS will no longer carry cigars and cigarettes behind the counters in their stores as of October 2014.

Actually they changed it to September. It was done the other day. It was all over The News.

JoshAustin610

They wanted the tobacco being gone to coincide with their new ad campaign and new corporate name "CVS Health"; I wonder if the focus on health means the soda and potato chips will be gone eventually as well.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on September 04, 2014, 06:11:39 PM
I wonder if the focus on health means the soda and potato chips will be gone eventually as well.
I know junk food is considered unhealthy, but I hope not.

retailisking

I wonder how the behind-the-counter real estate will evolve over time.

ynkeesfn82

Without cigarettes I think the CVS at the Shoprite Plaza in Southington, CT will close. Since the Shoprite DOES NOT sell cigarettes all the employees from all the other businesses in the plaza would by their cigarettes at CVS. Now they'll probably go to the adjacent EXXON station.

With this news of CVS discontinuing carriage of tobacco products, I'm pretty everything will still be fine.

Shopko hasn't sold tobacco products since 1994, and they too, still turned out fine (Shopko thanks the Mormon population out in Utah for starting the trend which started in the Utah Shopko stores 1994 and spread to other Shopko stores by 1997).

Quote from: ShopKoFan on September 05, 2014, 09:33:49 PM
Quote from: JoshAustin610 on September 04, 2014, 06:11:39 PM
I wonder if the focus on health means the soda and potato chips will be gone eventually as well.
I know junk food is considered unhealthy, but I hope not.
I think they might just put a "sin tax" on their junk food, if I'm not mistaken.

Hudsons81

Here are pictures I took today of Southgate, Michigan's two CVS locations.

The first is in the Southgate Shopping Center, but in it's own separate building not attached to the center itself located at the Eureka Road traffic light entrance. It opened in 1998 and may have been the very last Arbor Drugs ever opened, along with the CVS in the outlot of the Model T Plaza on Woodward Avenue in Highland Park, Michigan.

The second anchors a strip mall at the northeast corner of Dix-Toledo Highway and Eureka, almost directly across from Walmart. This one opened as an Arbor Drugs in the 1990's.

MikeRa

The CVS that I visited today had both of their Coupons Center machines down as far as retreiving coupons for the ExtraCare card.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

CVS has yet to start construction on their replacement on North Street (Route 6) in Bristol, Connecticut right near the intersection with North Main. When built it will replace the store in Park Plaza at 59 North Main across from the parking lot that used to be The Mall at Bristol Center. The only thing that has happened is they demolished the buildings where the store will be built.

They also want to demolish a bunch of businesses on Broad Street in Meriden, Connecticut to build a new CVS. If they do this, this will make 4 CVS's in that city unless they close one of them. There are 2 near each other on East Main and one on West Main.

ynkeesfn82

What was once a CVS in the Bristol Farms Plaza at 1235 Farmington Ave in Bristol, CT is vacant yet again. CVS closed the store here and in the Stop & Shop plaza in the late 1990s and built a brand new free-standing store with drive-thru next to Dunkin Donuts. The CVS stayed vacant for a few years and then became a Family Dollar for about 5 years. Then it was Aaron's Furniture Rental until 2014 when they moved to Price Chopper Plaza. P.S. The former CVS at Stop & Shop Plaza has been a Dollar Tree for many years.

Bdubs

Are there any strip mall or indoor shopping mall cvs's left? All locations in the eastern part of the state of CT have been moved into free standing locations.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Bdubs on March 21, 2015, 10:32:25 PM
Are there any strip mall or indoor shopping mall cvs's left? All locations in the eastern part of the state of CT have been moved into free standing locations.

There are 4 that I can think of off the top of my head.

1. 59 North Main Street Bristol in the plaza across the street from the now-demolished Bristol Center Mall. - As I mentioned they're planning on building a replacement store on the Corner of North and North Main.

2. 720 Queen Street Southington in the Shoprite Plaza.

3. 45 South Main Street Unionville in the Rivers Edge Plaza

4. 14 Farmington Ave Plainville on the corner of New Britain Ave - Does this one count as a strip mall ? In the late 1990s CVS and Blockbuster Video took over this building that was originally Greenfield's Supermarket and was a small BIG Y until 1994. Now that Blockbuster has closed that space is now a Verizon Wireless Franchise and empty space.

BillyGr

In NY, Crossgates and Colonie Center Malls both still have CVS stores - neither has a pharmacy (Colonie did but closed when a new store opened up Wolf road a few blocks, Crossgates was built without one).

There is also a small store in East Greenbush, NY on Route 9&20 (aka Columbia Turnpike) that remains in a strip plaza.  They built a newer one a few miles away on Route 4 (which ends, after travelling across VT and much of eastern NY at 9&20 across from the entry to the plaza the CVS is in) but kept this one, probably since Rite Aid has 3 stores along the section of 9&20 (2 original, 1 former Eckerd).

One additional is in Ravena, NY - a plaza with a Shop n Save (Hannaford supplied but not owned - former GU) and the CVS is in part of the attached "mini mall" building, which looks like an older supermarket space - at least I think it's still there, haven't been there lately.

Additionally there are a couple in the greater Albany NY area that are "built in" to the city - one on Madison Avenue, one on Delaware, one on Central at least I can think of.  In these areas, there isn't any room for a "freestanding" store to be built.

And finally, an interesting new build also in Albany, on New Scotland Ave (near Albany Medical Center) - it's in a building which has a couple floors and houses some doctor offices, but was built such that there is a drive thru on the back of the building (the front is right @ the street sidewalk), and the majority of the parking is across a side street.  It also has 2 entrance doors, both from New Scotland, but one at each end of the frontage.  So not exactly freestanding, but still the modern style with drive thru.

jamesway_95

There are still shopping center CVS stores in Shrewsbury and Cape May Court House in New Jersey.

ynkeesfn82

My friend posted on Facebook that he was at the Cape Cod Mall in Hyannis, Massachusetts yesterday, so I checked out their store directory and there is still a CVS at this mall which is owned by The Simon Corporation.

buzz86us

Quote from: BillyGr on March 22, 2015, 04:06:32 PM

In NY, Crossgates and Colonie Center Malls both still have CVS stores - neither has a pharmacy (Colonie did but closed when a new store opened up Wolf road a few blocks, Crossgates was built without one).

There is also a small store in East Greenbush, NY on Route 9&20 (aka Columbia Turnpike) that remains in a strip plaza.  They built a newer one a few miles away on Route 4 (which ends, after travelling across VT and much of eastern NY at 9&20 across from the entry to the plaza the CVS is in) but kept this one, probably since Rite Aid has 3 stores along the section of 9&20 (2 original, 1 former Eckerd).

One additional is in Ravena, NY - a plaza with a Shop n Save (Hannaford supplied but not owned - former GU) and the CVS is in part of the attached "mini mall" building, which looks like an older supermarket space - at least I think it's still there, haven't been there lately.

Additionally there are a couple in the greater Albany NY area that are "built in" to the city - one on Madison Avenue, one on Delaware, one on Central at least I can think of.  In these areas, there isn't any room for a "freestanding" store to be built.

And finally, an interesting new build also in Albany, on New Scotland Ave (near Albany Medical Center) - it's in a building which has a couple floors and houses some doctor offices, but was built such that there is a drive thru on the back of the building (the front is right @ the street sidewalk), and the majority of the parking is across a side street.  It also has 2 entrance doors, both from New Scotland, but one at each end of the frontage.  So not exactly freestanding, but still the modern style with drive thru.

I recall CVS in Rotterdam mall and Sangertown mall both closed a while back

HannafordHearts

Quote from: buzz86us on April 05, 2015, 02:57:18 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 22, 2015, 04:06:32 PM

I recall CVS in Rotterdam mall and Sangertown mall both closed a while back

I can confirm that Sangertown did use to have a CVS. The space was remodeled and it's now a Famous Footwear that just opened last year. It moved to the mall from the nearby Orchard shopping center.

Additonal info: between CVS and FF, it was a glow-in-the-dark golf place (which I've been to), and then a couple of independent stores, which all kept the CVS look inside and out. 

ynkeesfn82

In this article about the economic impact of the riots in Baltimore, Maryland CVS states that it does not know if they will reopened the store that was looted and burned on Monday. http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-economic-impact-riots-20150501-story.html#page=1

jason83080

The newscasters on ABC2 there called that shortly after it was set ablaze. Personally, I think it's become such an icon of what happened, it should just be reopened as a memorial/museum to what happened. Someone already tagged the side of the building. Why not turn it into something positive?

Hudsons81

I can't even believe all the effort it took for that community to finally get a CVS-only to watch their hard work undone by hoodlums.

retailisking

For those scratching their heads over why this is happening, USA Today provides some insight. Takeaway #1: the pharmacy business at TGT was losing money.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/06/15/target-cvs-pharmacy-sale/71248932/

Hudsons81

Will they rebrand all Target pharmacies into store-within-a-store CVS stores?

JoshAustin610

That's the plan; it's different from their normal franchise agreements however in that the pharmacies will be completely run by CVS with CVS employees.  Their Starbucks deal for example is licensing only; the in-store Starbucks are staffed by Target employees.

Zayre88

In Canada, Target pharmacies were run by the Brunet Pharmacy chain.

Although the pharmacy aisles had Up&Up brand products, the receipt on a purchase was showing Brunet's logo and you could not get Target's 5% discount with Red Card.

MikeRa

The next question is: Will they rebrand all of Target's Up & Up H&B products to the CVS brand?
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JoshAustin610

It sounds like the rest of the OTC health department is still going to be run by Target; CVS will just be controlling what's within the pharmacy.  I know CVS employees have already been told they won't be getting an employee discount there (unless it's a prescription).

TheFugitive

Apparently that decision to stop selling tobacco products is not working out so well.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/04/investing/cvs-earnings-cigarettes/index.html?iid=EL

store215

Quote from: TheFugitive on August 06, 2015, 02:18:32 PM
Apparently that decision to stop selling tobacco products is not working out so well.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/04/investing/cvs-earnings-cigarettes/index.html?iid=EL

Not really surprised. Cigarettes are a huge convenience item, and however you see it, CVS's (and other so-called Pharmacy chains) are nothing other than glorified 7-11's with a drug counter in the back. People that would stop at the corner CVS are now going to the Rite Aid or Walgreens across the street. And everything else at CVS is so overpriced (including their prescriptions), who really goes in there to pick up more than a few convenience items?