Main Menu

CVS

Started by Caldor1999, May 02, 2005, 04:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jason83080

Our local CVS/pharmacy store in Sheffield Village, Ohio, closed this past February 3rd with very little fanfare, and nothing indicating a closure outside of a little yellow note on the front door. I saw that it was closed a couple of days ago, and went to check for myself tonight. The lights are on inside, and 99% of the fixtures/decor appear to be intact. It's as if they just closed the doors one day and didn't look back. (Yes, all of the merchandise inside is gone, but there wasn't any sort of yellow-banner STORE CLOSING sale, so I presume it was transferred to other stores.)

This is a picture of the CVS in the plaza, which opened as a Revco drugstore after relocating from a smaller store across the street, about the same time that Rini-Rego Stop-n-Shop (now Giant Eagle) opened their store, seen on the left side of this picture:

Further bad news for the plaza, as the Dollar Tree (which started out its life as an American Greetings store and, in the space behind that, a Sips & Nibbles eatery) recently moved up the street into a portion of the old Carpet & Tile Liquidators building. I don't expect the CVS to be empty for long, since Giant Eagle could move forward - like they did with their Amherst, OH location - and knock down the wall and expand the Pharmacy/Drugstore into the vacated space. We don't have a lot of other drugstore options - there's a large Drug Mart across the street, and I doubt Rite Aid or Walgreens would look into an in-plaza location without any drive-thru access - so that kind of limits the possibilities for what it could become.

The plaza's history goes like this:

1: Rini-Rego Stop-n-Shop / moved from a smaller store across the street, which is now subdivided into a Discount Drug Mart and a spot that's been vacant for years; became Giant Eagle after the buyout; has had 4 different banks in-store; GetGo Gas Station built in adjacent parking lot area near (5) in 2008(?)
2: Revco / moved from a smaller store across the street (next to Rini-Rego), which is now a Dollar General; became CVS/pharmacy after the buyout; now vacant as of February 3, 2013
3: HC3 Hair Colour Superstore Salon / opened as a new store; now SVS Vision
4: Broadway Video: relocated from a smaller store across the street, which was a karate studio and is now "Ctrl-Alt-Elite Gaming"; after BV closed, sat empty for years before recently becoming a Verizon Wireless
5: Just For You Cards & Gifts (corner anchor) / American Greetings store; closed and sat empty for a while; became Dollar Tree after absorbing (6) into more sales floor space and back-room storage; now vacant as of mid-January 2013 with Dollar Tree relocating
6: Sips & Nibbles / small eatery; closed after about a year and sat vacant until becoming part of Dollar Tree
7: Northern Lights Tanning Company
8: Great Clips
9: The UPS Store / recent open; this portion of the construction sat unoccupied since the plaza was built
10: Edward Jones Investments / recent open; this portion of the construction sat unoccupied since the plaza was built

---

An update: As of this past Monday, the fixture liquidation (one week only - oddly, that's all it took) is over, and the store is EMPTY. As of today, the lights aren't even being turned on. (Ironically, the old Dollar Tree still has 'security system mode'/'closed for the day' lighting, with the "office" visible from Detroit Road nearby.) Also, I think the old Dollar Tree took up THREE locations - Just For You, Sips & Nibbles, and one space down - since there are three doors on the side facing Abbe Road.

ynkeesfn82

CVS is refusing to sell Rolling Stone Magazine with the Boston Marathon Bomber on the cover. CVS is based in neighboring Rhode Island.

MikeRa

Unusual CVS building design, which was used by Revco:

Mansfield, OH

Lodi, OH

And a CVS that is in a former movie theatre:

Philadelphia, PA.  As a movie theatre, known as Felt's/Stanley Warner's Aldine Theatre, Viking Theatre, Rugoff's/Cinema 5's Cinema 19 Theatre, and Sameric/United Artists Theatres Sam's Place Twin Theatre.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

BillyGr

Quote from: MikeRa on September 28, 2013, 05:11:23 PM
Unusual CVS building design, which was used by Revco:

Mansfield, OH

I know there's at least one of those in Scotia (NY) - just outside Schenectady.  If I remember correctly, it was built not too long before CVS bought out the Revco chain, so it was probably their last building style (and also, at least here I think was their only free standing store - the other couple I can think of were former Brooks that Revco took over, both in shopping centers).

ynkeesfn82

That CVS looks really cool.  8)

jason83080

There's one in Elyria, OH, on Cleveland Street. It's the only one that I've seen around here.

ynkeesfn82

CVS plans to stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products in all their stores nationwide by October 1st.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/02/05/cvs-to-stop-selling-cigarettes-tobacco-products-at-its-stores-nationwide/

bubcolbert1952

Quote from: Marc B on February 05, 2014, 10:32:32 AM
CVS plans to stop selling cigarettes and other tobacco products in all their stores nationwide by October 1st.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2014/02/05/cvs-to-stop-selling-cigarettes-tobacco-products-at-its-stores-nationwide/

Wow... Target did this way back in 1996, but only due to profitability that was shrinking. Wegmans did more recently but that also was likely due to profits. I wonder if Walgreens and Rite Aid will follow suit. In fact, the other night I discovered a big, modern CVS in the parking lot of an old, outdated Rite Aid. Maybe the CVS will end up closing because a lot of smokers seem to be in the area?

Also, here's something interesting about the recent history of CVS: they just opened a regional office in a small portion of the former Acme supermarket in Ambler PA, most of which already became a CVS store over 8 years ago. Many former Acme stores have ended up as nine-tenths a CVS but with a small portion empty.

Bdubs

Quote from: Marc B on February 05, 2014, 10:32:32 AM

Now, Im not a smoker, but Im going to miss the smell of the pipe tobacco as I walk in the door.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on February 05, 2014, 02:15:58 PM
Wow... Target did this way back in 1996, but only due to profitability that was shrinking. Wegmans did more recently but that also was likely due to profits. I wonder if Walgreens and Rite Aid will follow suit.

I remember a few years before they went under, Bradlees did this. As for Walgreens, when I caught the story on CNN and FOX News Channel both reported Walgreens was currently re-evaluating the sales of tobacco sales. Back to CVS, they said CVS will lose $2 Billion in sales.

As of June 2010 Drust Family Shoprites (Southington and Wallingford, Connecticut) do not sell cigarettes and tobacco products. June 2010 is when they moved the store 3 miles down Route 5 from Meriden to Wallingford and when they opened in Southington that November they followed they same policy.

Because of this people I used to work at at Shoprite in Southington would go to the CVS next door to buy their cigarettes. It was a running joke that the Shoprite employees were the only ones keeping that CVS open since it does not perform well. Now the Shoprite employees will have to go to the adjacent Exxon Station.

bubcolbert1952

I personally don't smoke but I must say I disagree with this decision. Not only does it give the consumer less choice of where to purchase a LEGAL product, but also, if you're going to ban a legal product from your stores to protect customers' health, why not ban alcohol? CVS stores in a number of states (California one of them) sell alcohol, and not just beer or wine, but those two along with spirits, also known as hard liquor. And why not ban soda with sugar or baked goods with a certain amount of saturated fat? It's not only trans fat that kills.

TheFugitive

I would say as a private company, that decision is wholly up to them.
They must feel very strongly about it if they are willing to walk away from
$2 bil. in revenue.

People who feel strongly otherwise will go and shop elsewhere.

zonemad96

That seems like an incredibly stupid move not only are you going the sales of tobacco but your also going to lose sales in pharmacy and other good's. People aren't going to want to have to stop at a separate shop to pick up tobacco if they can switch to Rite-aid or Walgreens and only have to make one stop. Not only that but the fact that they are so incredibly insane to think this is going to "improve customers’ health.". Seriously anyone who is stupid enough to think that if you stop selling a product at a store that people use on a regular basis they will for some reason not go to another store and get it needs to be locked up in a mental hospital. They better not ever stop selling liquids and food otherwise people will never drink or eat again.

Maybe if Walgreens stops selling tobacco products too it could give Rite-aid the boost that it needs to get back in the game.

bubcolbert1952

Actually I am an occasional smoker (who smokes mostly on weekends at bars and clubs) and honestly, the only places with a decent selection of tobacco items are dedicated smoke shops. If you only smoke the most popular cigarette brands, or like to try all the new Marlboro flavors as they hit the shelves, you can buy what you want almost anywhere. But if you want more exotic cigarettes or if you want cigars that are decent at all, the selection at most drugstores is very minimal. The convenience of buying the few items CVS does sell must be painful for some people to lose though.

Stork of The Weak

It would have been more reasonable if CVS had decided to stop selling cigarettes by the pack, and started only selling by the carton (or maybe they could have done the opposite, discontinue cartons and only sell packs). Or they could have stopped selling cigarettes but kept selling cigars.

Stork of The Weak

Someone just happened to get a CVS that was obviously a former Revco in the picture at the bottom of this page: http://www.gassigns.org/crystalflash.htm

Also, the Eckerd in these two photos has been a CVS for the past ten years: http://www.gassigns.org/minstop.htm

TheFugitive

CVS built a new store at the far end of my street.
In order to build it they bought 3 houses and demolished them
to make way for the parking lot.

They paid about triple the going rate for each.
Figures they did not want to build the store on MY block.   :-\

Stork of The Weak

The FTC made CVS sell the Revco stores they had already bought in Virginia to Eckerd (then owned by JCPenney) because CVS already had a big presence in Virginia due to their acquisition of the Peoples Drug chain. A lot of the Revco stores were newer and nicer than the many very old Peoples stores, so it's a shame CVS couldn't have moved the CVS stores that were once Peoples to former Revco sites. I know of at least one former Revco/Eckerd in the Richmond area that closed as Eckerd before Rite Aid bought that chain that still is empty.

Stork of The Weak

Could anyone who would know please tell me if the CVS next to Hersheypark in Harrisburg PA is still open? I'm thinking this CVS was once a Revco or maybe a Peoples Drug (possibly under the Rea & Derick banner, which was first owned by Acme Markets Inc) before it was a CVS.

JoshAustin610

The CVS on Chocolate Ave in Hershey was originally on the other side of town closer to the newer Giant (as opposed to the current location which is near the older Giant).  It was originally a Peoples Drug, in a shopping center with an A&P.  Both it and the Rite Aid in town are open and pretty busy due to the town's tourism.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on April 25, 2014, 06:41:29 PM
The CVS on Chocolate Ave in Hershey was originally on the other side of town closer to the newer Giant (as opposed to the current location which is near the older Giant).  It was originally a Peoples Drug, in a shopping center with an A&P.  Both it and the Rite Aid in town are open and pretty busy due to the town's tourism.

Thanks. I'm thinking if either the Staples (was Giant) or Karns in Hershey close, Pronio's (a very old small independent supermarket in the heart of Hershey) will move to one of those sites. Then the current Pronio's could become a Walgreens, making for all three big drugstore chains being in Hershey.

JoshAustin610

Walgreens doesn't seem to have any interest in central PA; they have a few stores in Lancaster, York, and Chambersburg, but none in greater Harrisburg at all.  They've still only been in PA for less than 20 years, so they most likely prefer to focus on the high-population areas of Philly and Pittsburgh, with time to expand later.  Even if they were interested in Hershey Pronio's isn't on the main road; they would need a major intersection where they could build a brand new store.

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on April 25, 2014, 06:41:29 PM

Any idea when the A&P (now Cocoaplex Cinema) in Hershey closed, next to the former CVS and near the current Giant? Because if it were around 1982 at the same time as the Philadelphia division of A&P closed, I'm wondering if Peoples would have moved to that site, leading to CVS ending up with a store large for its time. Rea & Derick (not sure when it broke off from American Stores to join Peoples) had at least one store that was huge for its time in Gettysburg that opened around 1982 as Acme left Central PA along with Baltimore and the Maryland/Virginia suburbs of Washington DC.

MikeRa

My local CVS has just recently redone their isle arrangements.  The CVS (Store #1731) is located at 3811 Neshaminy Boulevard, Bensalem, PA.

Isles #1-5 to the left of the entrance, Isles #6-9 behind Isles #1-6, Isle 10-12 facing Left & Right walls, Isles #13-16 behind Isles #10-12, Isles 18-20 back by Pharmacy, with end of isles facing Isle #17, and Isles #17, 21-26 to the right of the entrance.  Register to the right of the entrance, facing Isle #26

Isle #1: Cosmetics
Isle #2: Cosmetics
Isle #3: Cosmetics
Isle #4: Skin Care
Isle #5: Shaving and Deodorants
Isle #6: Oral Hygine
Isle #7: Hair Color, Hair Style, and  Hair Accesories
Isle #8: Lotions and Trial Products
Isle #9: Bath soap, Body Wash
Isle #10: Shampoos and Conditioners
Isle #11: Feminine Care
Isle #12: Household Products, Cleaning Supplies, and Paper Products
Isle #13: Allegery and Cold Remedies
Isle #14: Vitamins, and Antacids
Isle #15: Vitamins, and Laxatives
Isle #16: Diet Needs
Isle #17: Foot Care, Pain Relivers
Isle #18: First Aid, Eye Care, and Diabetics
Isle #19: Adult Care
Isle #20: Baby Products
Isle #21: Hallmark Cards and Greeting Cards
Isle #22: Stationery
Isle #23: Seasonal
Isle #24: Seasonal
Isle #25: Groceries and Snacks
Isle #26: Cookies, Gum, and 10 For $10

Left Wall: Beauty Products
Right Wall: Baby, Soft Drinks, Bottled Water, Juices, and Beverages
Front Wall: Cash Registers and Self Serve Photo
Back Wall: Household and Pharmacy

JoshAustin610

Did the Bensalem store get their "Store of the Future" remodel, with the fancier signage and carpeting?  They redid a few of the stores in wealthier areas (Ambler, Lansdale, & West Chester, plus a new store in Chalfont) with that design, but I've heard they've since decided it was too expensive and were slowing down on it.

MikeRa

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on July 22, 2014, 06:01:11 PM
Did the Bensalem store get their "Store of the Future" remodel, with the fancier signage and carpeting?  They redid a few of the stores in wealthier areas (Ambler, Lansdale, & West Chester, plus a new store in Chalfont) with that design, but I've heard they've since decided it was too expensive and were slowing down on it.
They did not get the "Store of the Future" remodel.  They still have the old signs on the walls.  The isle signs are overhead, like before.  They did convert the old Photo area into an self-serve photo section.  They did get new carpeting that is similar to the "Store of the Future"

This store is across from Neshaminy Mall, facing Macy's (former Strawbridge & Clothier)

ynkeesfn82

Construction of a new CVS on North Street (Route 6) in Bristol, Connecticut will begin once they complete demolition of several buildings. This is will be a replacement store for their store in Park Plaza at 59 North Main Street across the street from the 17 acre vacant lot that was once home to the Mall at Bristol Centre. The store opened in the 1990s. The new CVS will be across the street from an ancient Rite Aide store in North Side Square Plaza.

http://centralctpost.com/2014/08/07/downtown-pharmacy-heading-to-rt-6/

JoshAustin610

I'm looking for info on some of the locations of the many former drugstores that used to be in malls, primarily in PA and NJ; I'm asking in this thread since most of them were CVS.  I've found that many of the old 70s mall stores were replaced with larger ones in the early 90s, so many may have had two; if anyone knows where in each mall the stores were and if possible what's there now it would be greatly appreciated.  Here's what I'm looking for:

PA:
Harrisburg: Harrisburg East Mall; opened as Rea & Derick in 69, CVS (store #1628) from 91 to early 00s
York: York Galleria; CVS (store #1157) from 89 to approx. 02

NJ:
Deptford: Deptford Mall; CVS from 75 to approx. 95
Mays Landing: Hamilton Mall; CVS (store #925) from 87 to mid 00s
Paramus: Garden State Plaza; first location opened as Mack Drug in early 60s, became CVS from 77 to approx. 96; second location (store #2181) from 96 to approx. 02
Paramus: Paramus Park Mall; first location (store #176) from 74 to 96; second location (store #933) from 96 to early/ mid 00s
Rockaway: Rockaway Townsquare; first location only, from 77 to 92 (was replaced by store #1162, which I do have a pic of)
Toms River: Ocean County Mall; first location from 76 to approx. 91, second location (store #1295) from 91 to mid 00s
Vineland: Cumberland Mall; first location from 74 to approx. 94, second location (store #1902) from 94 to 02

TheFugitive

There was a CVS store in the Century III Mall in Pittsburgh for many years.
Has been gone for around a decade I think.

There was also a Thrift Drug inside the Parkway Center Mall which later
became an Eckerd.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I hear that CVS will no longer carry cigars and cigarettes behind the counters in their stores as of October 2014.