Genuardi's

Started by storehistoryguy, July 29, 2005, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

Quote from: FitchMike26 on May 14, 2015, 11:01:52 PM
I'm saddened to report that the very last Genuardi's store still operating, in Audubon PA, is having a going out of business sale.

While Genuardi's technically disappeared almost 3 years ago, this sole location stayed open with the Genuardi's name outside all this time.

I was wondering how long that store was going to stick around for. I was hoping it would have stuck around a little longer through the Albertsons/Safeway merger, and maybe it would have reopened as an ACME.

JoshAustin610

The chances of it becoming an Acme were slim, since it's so close to the existing Acme in Trooper.  I wonder if that's even why they're closing the store now as opposed to when the lease is actually up in 2016; so they're not competing with each other.

FitchMike26

I highly doubt the Audubon location will ever become another grocery store, period.

Giant-Carlisle, Walmart Supercenter, Aldi, and ACME are all on the same road, a mile or two east.

Target P'fresh and BJ's Wholesale Club are on the same road, a mile west.

Wegmans is on a different road, two miles north.

And to round out the party, Redner's also operates a store a mile from the Wegmans.

store215

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/2015/05/18/bucks_news/business/doc5557483652d6c248774570.txt?viewmode=2

Here's an article on the closing...there is a part that says they are leaving but 'there’s an opportunity to get another operator in here', but it's a pretty vague sentence coming from a Safeway higher-up. Maybe Weis would be interested in such a store to increase their market presence?

Nice to know all employees there were offered positions with Acme (or Safeway, but probably doesn't make sense unless employees want to commute to Delaware).

JimSawhill

Quote from: store215 on May 18, 2015, 11:14:54 AM
http://www.buckslocalnews.com/articles/2015/05/18/bucks_news/business/doc5557483652d6c248774570.txt?viewmode=2

Here's an article on the closing...there is a part that says they are leaving but 'there’s an opportunity to get another operator in here', but it's a pretty vague sentence coming from a Safeway higher-up. Maybe Weis would be interested in such a store to increase their market presence?

Nice to know all employees there were offered positions with Acme (or Safeway, but probably doesn't make sense unless employees want to commute to Delaware).

How is Weis doing? Is it family owned?

Bobsketball

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 19, 2015, 06:00:34 PM

Weis seems to be doing fine, but only has a tiny handful of stores in Greater Philadelphia, sticking only to Montgomery County and Bucks County. They have an almost new flagship store in Huntingdon Valley that opened in the last year or two. It used to be a Super Fresh and later a Pathmark.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Bobsketball on May 19, 2015, 06:08:26 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on May 19, 2015, 06:00:34 PM

Weis seems to be doing fine, but only has a tiny handful of stores in Greater Philadelphia, sticking only to Montgomery County and Bucks County. They have an almost new flagship store in Huntingdon Valley that opened in the last year or two. It used to be a Super Fresh and later a Pathmark.

Thanks...for the info.

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 21, 2014, 02:49:59 PM
The Marlton, NJ Genuardi's reopened today as Rastelli Market Fresh. This is the second location for the chain, after operating a very successful location in nearby Deptford for many years.

This location also offers a full-service wine, beer and spirits selection, a rarity in New Jersey.

Story here:
http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2014/07/new_rastelli_market_fresh_in_marlton_an_expansion_of_deptford_store.html#incart_more_entertainment

Rastelli's only took up half of the store. A Marshall's took up the second half of the former Genuardi's store. Rastelli's didn't qualify as a small business through the American Express Small Business Saturday.

There are still vacant Genuardi's in Voorhees, Egg Harbor and Barnegat. I would have thought the Voorhees and Barnegat stores would eventually find new occupants by now.

JimSawhill

Quote from: mixedday on July 10, 2015, 11:16:42 PM
The Marlton, NJ Genuardi's reopened today as Rastelli Market Fresh. This is the second location for the chain, after operating a very successful location in nearby Deptford for many years.

This location also offers a full-service wine, beer and spirits selection, a rarity in New Jersey.

Story here:
http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2014/07/new_rastelli_market_fresh_in_marlton_an_expansion_of_deptford_store.html#incart_more_entertainment

Rastelli's only took up half of the store. A Marshall's took up the second half of the former Genuardi's store. Rastelli's didn't qualify as a small business through the American Express Small Business Saturday.

There are still vacant Genuardi's in Voorhees, Egg Harbor and Barnegat. I would have thought the Voorhees and Barnegat stores would eventually find new occupants by now.

I'm surprised too.. what supermarkets are in those town?

By the way, welcome mixedday

mixedday

Quote from: JimSawhill on July 11, 2015, 07:08:34 AM
Quote from: mixedday on July 10, 2015, 11:16:42 PM

Story here:

I'm surprised too.. what supermarkets are in those town?

By the way, welcome mixedday

Thank You.

As far as the Marlton site where it's now Rastelli's and Marshalls combination, I was originally surprised that Acme didn't pursue this site. Acme doesn't have a store in Marlton itself, and the nearest competition (a ShopRite) is off Route 70, a different highway, where there is a busy intersection that separates the areas. There is also a TJMaxx in Marlton, so this Marshall's doesn't add much new, but I digress. I would have preferred seeing a ToysRUs/BabiesRUs since the area lacks this entirely.

As far the the Voorhees site, Genuardi's closed this store a year or two prior to it'd decision to close the CH, Marlton and shore stores. I think when Target expanded their food selection across the Philly stores, it really hurt this store. A Target is directly across the street from this Genuardi's. This store remains empty as noted. The demographics are decent in the area as well, but it's not as prime of a location as the Marlton site or Cherry Hill site (which is now Whole Foods). There is an Acme and ShopRite not too far away from this former Genuardi's building. I'd think if Wal-Mart ever decides to do Neighborhood Markets in South Jersey, this could be a good location, or if Weis comes to South Jersey, or if another chain comes in. Aldi or Whole Foods might consider this location. One thing that I do not like is there a freestanding Dunkin Donuts building that obstructs the view of the grocery store. I think the plaza owner should end the Dunkin Donut lease or work with them for relocation elsewhere, and figure out how to fill the grocery site pad as that is much larger. This former Genuardi's site was actually once a Superfresh many years ago.

As for the Egg Harbor site, the Egg Harbor area is economically depressed. I'm not sure what could replace this site.

The Barneget area seems wealthier. This store seems its closer to residential areas and it falls in the southern part of the NY region area where Stop&Shop also competes. Probably the nearest ShopRite isn't too far away but it's not in immediate vicinity as far as I know. I'd like to revisit this area again maybe this summer.

It's too bad that A&P (through Superfresh or Pathmark banners) is a disaster and couldn't assume these better locations in general. It's also a shame that the parent owners of Acme is also not really in a mode for store growth unless it's merger oriented.

mixedday

FitchMike26

JimSawhill

Quote from: mixedday on July 12, 2015, 08:50:55 PM
Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 11, 2015, 04:15:55 PM
The Egg Harbor Township, NJ location has already been bought. Details here:

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/egg_harbor_township/attention-shoppers-new-grocery-store-moving-into-old-genuardis-location/article_bcf8c14e-20e2-11e5-a0f2-07569dd885fe.html

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/new-egg-harbor-township-supermarket-offers-jobs/article_f2bc30ba-2400-11e5-91cb-b35fc7b4352a.html

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/egg_harbor_township/jr-s-fresh-market-to-hire-up-to-people-open/article_b77daa18-242f-11e5-a34a-6bb32d064003.html

Well, I'm glad that a new operator will run this store and fill into Atlantic County as  A&P (via Pathmark/Superfresh) might call it quits there. Genuardi's closed, but it's buildings and shopping centers that it left were in general good condition, unlike Kmart and A&P.

I hope that new store is doing great. Anyone knows how it's doing?

I hope Keller's will be successful, too.

mixedday

Quote from: FitchMike26 on July 11, 2015, 04:15:55 PM
The Egg Harbor Township, NJ location has already been bought. Details here:

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/egg_harbor_township/attention-shoppers-new-grocery-store-moving-into-old-genuardis-location/article_bcf8c14e-20e2-11e5-a0f2-07569dd885fe.html

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/new-egg-harbor-township-supermarket-offers-jobs/article_f2bc30ba-2400-11e5-91cb-b35fc7b4352a.html

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/egg_harbor_township/jr-s-fresh-market-to-hire-up-to-people-open/article_b77daa18-242f-11e5-a34a-6bb32d064003.html

I had a chance to visit the Egg Harbor JR's Fresh Market. Inside, it seemed as if I was back in Genuardi's, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Most of the other Genuardi building takeovers have had more serious transformation, especially the Cherry Hill Whole Foods which doesn't have any resemblance to Genuardi's.

Maybe the owner Joe Rauh Jr. could open another store in the former Voorhees Twp. Genuardi's location, if Safeway/Acme chain would lease that building to it. An Acme however isn't too far away in Voorhees however. It's mentioned in the Press of AC article that he is from Williamstown which is somewhat halfway between Voorhees and Egg Harbor Twp.

mixedday

It's somewhat interesting that Acme isn't running an Acme in the Genuardi's building in Egg Harbor Twp. but permitting JR Fresh Market to operate there. From acme.com, the nearest other Acmes are 5.6 miles in Somers Pt., and another one that is 8.5 miles in Mays Landing. Theoretically, an Acme could operate there, but at the time, it is subleasing the building to JR.

store215

Quote from: mixedday on April 15, 2016, 12:35:57 PM
It's somewhat interesting that Acme isn't running an Acme in the Genuardi's building in Egg Harbor Twp. but permitting JR Fresh Market to operate there. From acme.com, the nearest other Acmes are 5.6 miles in Somers Pt., and another one that is 8.5 miles in Mays Landing. Theoretically, an Acme could operate there, but at the time, it is subleasing the building to JR.

I believe the agreement with JR'S was made before Safeway and Albertsons/Acme officially merged, so Safeway didn't really care who they leased it to at that time. But theoretically, yes, Safeway could choose not to renew their lease whenever it comes due and make it an ACME.

MikeRa

Quote from: store215 on April 18, 2016, 12:15:37 AM

I believe the agreement with JR'S was made before Safeway and Albertsons/Acme officially merged, so Safeway didn't really care who they leased it to at that time. But theoretically, yes, Safeway could choose not to renew their lease whenever it comes due and make it an ACME.
Who knows how long the lease is?  Cold it be 5 years, 10 years, or 15 years?
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

JoshAustin610

A similar thing happened in West Caldwell, NJ; Stop & Shop had a store there that closed when they left NJ in 1980, so they rented out the space to Kings, a local upscale chain.  When Stop & Shop returned to the state in 2000, they forced Kings out and opened a new, larger store on the same site.

mixedday

Quote from: MikeRa on April 18, 2016, 08:29:46 PM

Who knows how long the lease is?  Cold it be 5 years, 10 years, or 15 years?

I don't know the lease term, but I'd be surprised if Acme really wanted that location to put in an Acme. It's somewhat in a challenged area, and there is room for entry for competition, in a relative very nearby area. Plus, labor might also be an issue. Acme would also be in a situation where those employees might become Acme employees and it'd cost more for Acme.

There is a pretty large mostly vacant eyesore shopping center, Cardiff Center, nearby, with a vacant Pathmark and mostly garbage tenants:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/contractor-repairing-cardiff-shopping-center/article_ba6f38c4-71b2-11e5-95d0-4f7c2af6fc37.html

If that site could be demolished, and then the Harbor Square (former Shore Mall) Frank Theatres movie theater would relocate there, that would create space at Harbor Square. Maybe for a Wegmans that would be adjacent to the Boscov's store that is there.  I don't see Wegmans very interested in Cardiff Center, but I could see Wegmans working along side, with conducive traffic, with the Boscov's, and both would front the highway well. A Burlington Coat Factory store is also in operation in Harbor Square. Of course, that is pretty idealistic and visionary on my part that Wegmans would even have interest in Atlantic County, and that specific area, and assuming the movie theater could be moved across the street to the Cardiff Center to make room for Wegmans at the Harbor Square. More likely Aldi will come to Atlantic County first.

But it just seems that even if Acme opens at the former Genuardi's space, there is always a remote possibility that some new competition will come one day. Maybe it's better to continue to sublease the space to JR over longer periods.

store215

There is a pretty large mostly vacant eyesore shopping center, Cardiff Center, nearby, with a vacant Pathmark and mostly garbage tenants:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/business/contractor-repairing-cardiff-shopping-center/article_ba6f38c4-71b2-11e5-95d0-4f7c2af6fc37.html

If that site could be demolished, and then the Harbor Square (former Shore Mall) Frank Theatres movie theater would relocate there, that would create space at Harbor Square. Maybe for a Wegmans that would be adjacent to the Boscov's store that is there.  I don't see Wegmans very interested in Cardiff Center, but I could see Wegmans working along side, with conducive traffic, with the Boscov's, and both would front the highway well.

I don't think Wegmans would ever open up in that area...the demographics they looks for (to be blunt, white, wealthy people) just aren't there...that whole area of South Jersey is a huge cesspool. I'm really surprised Genuardi's even made a go at it back in the day. A Wegmans could get a lot of traffic from people going to the shore in the summer, but that isn't enough to keep a diverse store like Wegmans operating.

mixedday

Quote from: store215 on April 21, 2016, 10:51:43 PM
that whole area of South Jersey is a huge cesspool. I'm really surprised Genuardi's even made a go at it back in the day. A Wegmans could get a lot of traffic from people going to the shore in the summer, but that isn't enough to keep a diverse store like Wegmans operating.

I'm not sure about the area as a whole. It's challenged as I mentioned. Atlantic County does support a decently run Macy's in Hamilton Mall, and even destinational stores like the Apple Store in Caesars. There are the normal chains like Best Buy and Kohl's as well, that one might not see off of Route 130 in NJ.

Supermarket competition is a bit limited in Atlantic County. It's really limited to ShopRite vs. Acme there, and not much variety. Not even Aldi yet, which is somewhat surprising. Nearest Aldi is in Vineland, NJ.

Everything is spread out, and there are nice areas, and not so nice areas. Areas in Northern Delaware looks like a cesspool, good school district areas are limited (like in Atlantic County), but wealth is around to make several stores work there.

mixedday

I had a chance to visit the area again today, and look at things closely. What is interesting is the sketchy or challenged area is just west of the Parkway bypass. It's particularly cesspool looking because of the old Cardiff Center, and another semi run down center also named Cardiff Plaza.

http://www.benbrooke.com/pdf/CardiffLeasingFlyer2013.pdf

It's sad that these two centers are in existance.

Just east of the Parkway bypass is where the Genuardi's (now JR Fresh Market) store was located, and the area get much nicer as one gets closer to US 9 and follows south towards Linwood. Linwood is a nice area in Atlantic County.

Also a correction to a previous post. There are two movie theaters in that area. One is the Frank Theatres Towne Stadium 16 which is West of the Parkway bypass, and other is the Frank Theatres in Tilton which is East of Parkway bypass. The two are are a mere two miles apart but are co-owned by Frank Theatres.

My thoughts:
1. Aldi could probably go into the Harbor Square (former Shore Mall). It's anchored by Boscov's and Burlington Coat Factory, and the former Value City space remains vacant, although a Halloween store temporarily uses this space. All three sites face the Black Horse Pike highway well and there is a traffic light into the plaza, which provides good access into the center. Aldi could assume the Value City space with some redevelopment done prior to going there.
2. Cardiff Center needs to be demolished. Any tenants that are there should be relocated out. Cardiff Plaza is sad enough as it is already, although it's actually healthier of the two.

Atlantic County does have stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, Pier 1 Imports, Best Buy, and the like. Perhaps stores like Stein Mart and Buy Buy Baby could be lured into the area. I don't think the area is ready for Whole Foods or an upscale department store, but some more mid-range stores could work. Wegmans might not work in the Harbor Square area, and the Cardiff centers really need to be demolished before better usage can be even be considered most likely. I think a smaller sized Wegmans store like the one in Downingtown, PA might work somewhere in Atlantic County, but I'm not sure where. Maybe if Sears closes in Hamilton Mall, it could go there, although I'd prefer if JCPenney could upgrade to that anchor site, as it faces the highway and it's current anchor site doesn't and is the weakest positioned of the three anchors at that mall.

ValleyUnfair

I thought the rundown Cardiff Plaza you mentioned was the one with the old Pathmark/Bradlees...but I see now that there is a whole second plaza that seems even worse than the Pathmark one.  Wow-Goodwill, Aaron's, Save-A-Lot...that is a pretty bleak shopping center.  This area used to be a pretty decent middle class suburb, with the mall and places like Genuardi's...even the Pathmark mall was OK after Bradlees closed, but on my last trip there, I saw that it has taken a nose-dive.  In particular, the heroin is everywhere now.  Atlantic and Cape May counties are second only to Camden when it comes to heroin in Jersey. You see junkies everywhere in Egg Harbor...young white kids.  They live with their parents and grandparents and with the job situation in South Jersey, they don't have much to look forward to.  It's sad and kinda ironic...during the 80's and 90's, white people fled from areas around Camden, Philly and Newark down to the shore to escape the urban problems and they ended up bringing them with them.  Now the generation that fled is retiring and their kids have nothing to look forward to.  To top it off, the cities they fled are now gentrifying and young people are starting to move back and invest there.  But no one is investing in places like Egg Harbor, Neptune, Hazlet, Brick.  These places are the new suburban slums.   

mixedday

The Cardiff Center (with vacant Pathmark) is still worse of the two. From that Press of AC article (5 posts up), I'm not sure why the roof is being fixed on a vacant Pathmark. The site should just be demolished.

Closer to the Cherry Hill area, in Maple Shade which is also a challenged area with a lot of run down motor lodges, CarMax bought the land from a site where a 2 star Quality Inn hotel was located. It's in the process of a opening a new location there. I think something like that needs to happen in Cardiff Center with CarMax or some big business deciding it wants the land, demolish and will build from ground up. It's actually in a good location from the perspective of highway access by being at the intersection of Garden State Parkway and Black Horse Pike.  I don't how complicated it is though when there is a large existing center that is run down, only 10-20% occupied but has 4-5 tenants and the tenants are like Big Lots, Forman Mills - tenants that seem content sticking around in squalid/dilapidated shopping centers, and have leases. With CarMax replacing a Quality Inn, CarMax likely just approached the hotel owner that was willing to sell.

Brick still seems healthier than this area, atleast from the retail side. It has stores like Costco and Barnes&Noble, and several more. There is also greater density and more wealth to pull from in Brick and north.

ValleyUnfair

Yeah that Pathmark Center probably has outlived its usefulness.  I recall it is a U-shaped Center with the stores facing inward, which doesn't seem to be the way developers build these days...but probably the fact that it is so huge, and has so much available space is also part of the problem.  There are only so many Rose's, Forman Mills, Ollie's, PriceRite's and C-class tenants to fill those centers, and it sounds like this neighboring Cardiff Plaza already has a few of them.

I have no clue about the demographics, but how about an ethnic operator like H-Mart or Western Beef?  There was a completely blighted shopping center near New Brunswick that had 2 vacant anchors, and the place was transformed into a very successful Asian-themed strip mall.  The place is booming and has really brought the whole area back.

It's true--Brick is faring better than the others I mentioned due to its proximity to good jobs in the north...but that area---Toms River and those mega-burbs--are not as booming as they once were.  The heroin is also HUGE in these areas and property values are stagnant.  Both the Brick A&P and Pathmark stores lay vacant, as well as a Foodtown and another Pathmark in Toms River.  There is a lot of suburban blight...but you are right--they are nowhere near as bad as Egg Harbor.

mixedday

Quote from: ValleyUnfair on April 27, 2016, 11:10:01 PM
they are nowhere near as bad as Egg Harbor.

Keep in mind there is a difference between Egg Harbor City, and Egg Harbor Twp. Egg Harbor City isn't a good place. Egg Harbor Twp. isn't great, but it's not a place to avoid atleast when it comes to shopping purposes.

This was from last year:
http://patch.com/new-jersey/princeton/100-most-dangerous-towns-new-jersey-0

Regarding this commercially zoned area, it's in Egg Harbor Twp., and Linwood isn't too far from this area and it's near the GS Parkway bypass.

While I think immediate area township/clientele has an effect here, I think the bigger problem is the land owners of these derelict shopping centers, particularly Cardiff Center. Hamilton Mall and the big box stores aren't too far west in the other direction, so it's just a stretch of area that is particularly challenged.