Genuardi's

Started by storehistoryguy, July 29, 2005, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeRa

The Genuardi's in Conshohocken, Feasterville, and Langhorne, as well as the Shop Rite in Bensalem (former Genuardi's) has the same design for the buildings, which is a mid-to-late 1990's design
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

MikeRa

Found out, over @ Grocerita.com's message board, that the Lansdale Genuardi's is closing almost 20 years to the day next month

MikeRa

The Genuardi's in Feasterville and Warrington closes for good as Genuardi's this saturday, November 13, at 6PM, and next year will reopened as Giant [PA]

EddieJ1984

The feasterville one was the genuardi's i went to most, which was for almost 3 months when I worked for the census this past summer.

Interestingly I have never been in a giant store, I know they are gonna build one at grant ave near the boulavard.

MikeRa

Quote from: MBZ321 on July 29, 2005, 02:14:48 PM
Old Logo:

Notice (if you can see) the lack of the 's in the logo. This was added into the new 1998+ logo.
Mystery solved as to this Genuardi's location.  This was Genuardi's #24, in Landsdale, at 1758 Allentown Rd; opened in October 1990 and closed in October 2010.

retailisking

JoshAustin610

I had been seeing that popping up as a rumor in various message board comments and so on from people supposedly "in the industry", but nothing substantial about a possible sale until this article.  The most common speculation seems to be that they would sell all the stores to Giant (since they already bought two last year), but that definitely wouldn't happen as a full sale - between small size, low volume, and proximity Giant wouldn't want many of the stores.  The other (looking on Google) seems to be the stores being sold to Weis, but they've never made an acquisition of that size before (usually they don't acquire more than 15 stores at a time), and I don't know if they'd want to go further into the Philly area unless they're going to be really competitive with Giant and Shop-Rite.

I could definitely see Giant picking a few more stores - absolutely Wynnewood and Radnor, since they're apparently still high volume stores and I'm sure Giant would love a foothold on the Main Line (although I think they still own the gourmet Foodsource store in Bryn Mawr that was part of Clemens).  They could also do some relocating like they did with some of the former Lanecos, like move their Abington store to Roslyn to get it further away from Willow Grove, or move the Conshohocken store across the intersection.  A few other towns like Springhouse and Jamison don't seem to have any really close competition, so they could probably work too (Maple Glen might be considered too close to the Horsham store though; same with Chalfont and the New Britain Giant). 

retailisking

Great analysis.  The feeling I get is that Safeway is pursuing this now because their window of opportunity is shrinking and they don't want to wait for the remains of A&P to implode flooding the market with scores of empty supermarket-sized storefronts.

store215

Doesn't surprise me that they are trying to sell. The stores are too far from their other operations (closest would be their Union-operated Safeway stores in DE/DC/MD area), and their pricing has not been competitive (the ads tend to be exactly the same for their California stores...prices and all). Even Acme, which has its own issues, is more price competitive. Now Genuardi's has all nice, modern stores, but that is about it. (Safeway did invest in some of the stores with a "lifestyle" remodel package, although I think they borrowed some ideas as even 10 years ago, the stores were quite modern). I think Safeway opened one new store under their ownership, but that is about it for growth.

They do have some very good locations in terms of demographics, but the area is becoming quickly over-Giant'ed. There are a few locations that may interest them, but most of them are already close to existing stores. ShopRite (independent owners) may acquire a few. They have a weak presence in the suburbs, but have a loyal following.

Weis would be interesting to see. They definitely have much better pricing than Genuardi's. The closest Weis to the Philadelphia-area is a lonely old store in Lansdale (Montgomery County..suburbs) that dates from the 70's. (How this store has survived all these years is puzzling...it is a good distance from Weis' main focus of the Lehigh Valley/more western PA). Lansdale was once home to a Genuardi's until a few years ago, and was the headquarters for Clemens (which Giant and SuperFresh bought out in 06). Weis used to have another store a few miles closer but it closed down in 2000, in a dead shopping center, for a new Lowe's. They are really the option for taking the majority of the stores...otherwise it may seem many of the stores will sit empty.

store215

Quote from: JoshAustin610 on September 06, 2011, 10:59:02 PM
They could also do some relocating like they did with some of the former Lanecos, like move their Abington store to Roslyn to get it further away from Willow Grove, or move the Conshohocken store across the intersection.  A few other towns like Springhouse and Jamison don't seem to have any really close competition, so they could probably work too (Maple Glen might be considered too close to the Horsham store though; same with Chalfont and the New Britain Giant). 

Giant would love to get their hands on Chalfont. The New Britain store is very small and still decked out in Clemens old decor. They want to expand this store badly and add gas pumps, but the township is giving them issues. Which makes no sense since the center is huge and has many vacancies. If they do, it will greatly impact the Chalfont Acme.
Jamison..the store i'm most familiar with is actually fairly busy, and Genuardi's even remodeled the store a few years ago and added a Pharmacy (since then, Walgreens opened in the same center and a CVS is under construction down the road...too many pharmacies for a small town). Giant may work. It is close to their other stores, but they don't seem to have issue in doing that. This area is fairly well-off so really anything could work here.

JoshAustin610

That makes sense that Giant's looking to expand; everything to the left and right of the Rite Aid in that center is vacant, implying they're just waiting for Rite Aid to either close or relocate.  I do remember reading about a Rite Aid in Chalfont that they apparently pulled out of; I wonder if that was supposed to be a relocation of that store.  Looking at articles about the denial of the gas pumps, it seems the shopping center owners really want to placate Giant so they don't leave; I guess they must really have a reputation for being a company that will relocate if needed (look at Pottstown Plaza; that was a Giant that expanded and added gas pumps over the years, yet still moved across the highway anyway when a bigger center was built).

retailisking

Supermarket News reports that Ahold's Giant Food banner is likely to take over several Genuardi's units
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/giant_genuardis_deal_0929

This news comes a couple of weeks after news of co-founder Charles Genuardi's death at 102
http://best-met.com/news/charles-genuardi-patriarch-of-genuardis-family-markets-dies-at-age-102/

store215

Quote from: retailisking on September 30, 2011, 01:39:47 PM
Supermarket News reports that Ahold's Giant Food banner is likely to take over several Genuardi's units
http://supermarketnews.com/retail_financial/giant_genuardis_deal_0929

Just came here to post this....will be interesting to see what stores they take over given there is a lot of Genuardi's/Giant overlap in many places. I wouldn't be surprised if they close or sell of the other stores real soon either.

retailisking

Eagleville closes tomorrow upon expiration of their lease; rumor has it Bottom Dollar is interested in this location
http://www.timesherald.com/articles/2011/09/20/business/doc4e77e3ba22e9a516362102.txt

Phoenixville (Kimberton) is closing October 15
http://phoenixville.patch.com/articles/genaurdis-on-kimberton-road-to-close

store215

This was announced today, and not much of a shock given the rumors and closings
going on in the last year. All Genuardi's stores (PA and the few in NJ) are
closing. 16 of the locations are becoming Giant (who already took over two
stores in a separate deal last year).

"The stores to be sold to Giant include those in Warwick, Newtown Township,
Middletown, New Britain Township, Lower Moreland and Upper Gwynedd. They and the
other stores â€" in West Chester, Marlborough, St. Davids, Springfield, Wynnewood,
Flourtown, Spring House, King of Prussia, Maple Glen and Roslyn â€" will become
Giant markets once the sale closes later this year.

Safeway said it will seek to sell eight stores, including Doylestown and
Evesham, N.J., to other buyers, and will close stores in Exton, Norristown and
Royersford."

Some of the stores are already in towns with an existing Giant, but Giant isn't
phased by operating stores so close together. They will likely convert them all,
wait a few years, and close a couple that do less business as they did when they
took over Clemens back in 2006.

Not really sure what is to come of the ones that they did not buy. I could see
Doylestown and a few others becoming a Whole Foods...the demographics would
definitely support it (this would have become a Giant too if they didn't already
buy up a former SuperFresh in the same town).

Safeway never even tried to be competitive in this market...using the same exact
sales flyers (prices and all) as their stores around D.C. and out west. Such a
shame that they ruined a once well-respected family owned chain. All I can say
is good riddance.

retailisking

The Genuardi family must bear some blame for this outcome; nobody held a gun to their head and forced them to sell to Safeway.  Anyway, it's a shame that a venerable banner will soon disappear from the scene.  RIP Genuardi's.  I wonder if Burkle will pick up one or more of the orphaned Genuardis...time will tell...

nims57

I saw Safeway brand spumoni ice cream at the Genuardi's in Eagleville during their closing sale a few months back. Actually looked like a quality product but I live 20 miles from there so I couldn't buy any. Strangely I checked the Genuardi's in Springfield close to home and they didn't have it. Over Christmas I was in Texas and stopped at the Randalls (also owned by Safeway) near where I USED to live, and they had tons of it! Personally I don't get why Randalls hasn't already ended up like Genuardi's. The Randalls I went to on my trip was a former Albertsons, but it replaced the "ancient" Randalls from the early 80's down the road when Safeway bought them. I couldn't believe this store at the end of 2011 still didn't have the "Lifestyle" look. Seems small for a Safeway-owned store too. They also have a full selection of beer and wine (this is Texas) but still can't sell spirits due to state law. I looked in a liquor store next door which had all kinds of booze, and their beer/wine prices were all lower than Randalls!

acme style

Take a tour of the changes Giant made to the interior of the Feasterville store over at Acme Style...

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2012/01/giant-feasterville-pa.html

Check it out... Acme Style!

EddieJ1984

Probably my favorite post you have done...of course I am biased cause I worked at the giant in feasterville for 4 months :) (I transferred to their philly grant ave location)

retailisking

store215

Quote from: retailisking on February 13, 2012, 02:20:53 PM
The nonunion grocer enters Bucks County and buys market share in Montgomery County
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local/money/weis-markets-to-buy-doylestown-genuardi-s/article_5efe09b6-62ed-5feb-a916-7f69739244af.html

Genuardi's was never Union either, so they won't have any issues. Actually none of the chains in Genuardi's areas, except for Acme, some ShopRite's, and the (very) few remaining SuperFresh/Pathmark, are union. (This area has Wegmans, Redner's, and Giant, Bottom Dollar Food (Food Lion), and a few Super WalMart's....all being non-union).

I hope Weis makes it in this highly-competitive area. Some people around here do not really know Weis but have a perception of it being a "hick store", to not being impressed with the fresh/organic offerings (around here, people will generally pay more for healthy food. Weis has to have more than price going for it if they want to survive and please former Genuardi's customers)

retailisking

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I just assumed because it was Safeway that it was unionized. Bad assumption anyway since I already knew Giant-Carlisle was nonunion too although many other Ahold banners are union.

MikeRa

Here is the complete list of when these stores will close as Genuardi's and re-open as Giant [PA]:

Phase 1 stores close June 28 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 8 at 8 a.m.

•1375 Boot Road, West Chester
•737 Huntingdon Pike, Huntingdon Valley
•2395 York Road, Jamison
•830 E. Baltimore Pike, Kennett Square
•467 Sumneytown Pike, North Wales, PA
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. on June 28 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on June 30

Phase 2 stores close July 5 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 15 at 8 a.m.

•50 E. Wynnewood Road, Wynnewood, PA
•1121 Bethlehem Pike, Spring House
•950 Baltimore Pike, Springfield
•310 S. Henderson Pike, King of Prussia
•2350 Susquehanna Road, Roslyn
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. July 5 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on July 7

Phase 3 stores close July 12 at 6 p.m. and re-open July 22 at 8 a.m.

•1844 Bethlehem Pike, Flourtown
•1925 Norristown Road, Maple Glen
•168 N. Flowers Mill Road, Langhorne
•4275 County Line Road, Chalfont
•550 E. Lancaster Avenue, St. Davids
•Pharmacies will close at 6 p.m. July 12 and will re-open at 1 p.m. on July 14

MikeRa

As of 8/5/12, these will be the last 4 Genuardi's locations:

• Barnegat, NJ: 912 West Bay Avenue
  • Egg Harbor Township, NJ: 3121 Fire Road (Opened 2001)
  • Marlton, NJ: 710 Route 73 South (Opened 1998)
  • Audubon, PA (Genuardi’s #04): 2850 Audubon Village Drive (Egypt & Pawlings Road) (Opened 11/2/1965.  Closed 1995 and moved to other end of shopping center.)

MikeRa

Quote from: MikeRa on July 31, 2012, 06:36:23 PM
As of 8/5/12, these will be the last 4 Genuardi's locations:

• Barnegat, NJ: 912 West Bay Avenue
  • Egg Harbor Township, NJ: 3121 Fire Road (Opened 2001)
  • Marlton, NJ: 710 Route 73 South (Opened 1998)
  • Audubon, PA (Genuardi’s #04): 2850 Audubon Village Drive (Egypt & Pawlings Road) (Opened 11/2/1965.  Closed 1995 and moved to other end of shopping center.)

These stores will most likely be closed by the end of 2012, with either the stores being acquired by someone, or Safeway shutting them down

retailisking

Egg Harbor and Barnegat are toast...notice in the main photo that they're using Safeway bags now...I wonder how much longer Marlton and Audubon will remain open...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/communities/eht/genuardi-s-in-egg-harbor-and-barnegat-townships-to-close/article_59086d0a-17a9-11e2-9ccc-0019bb2963f4.html

retailisking

This remaining store is a Safeway in all but name; Marlton is said to be closing by the end of December, but there is no formal confirmation that I know of.

http://www.timesherald.com/article/20121101/FINANCE01/121039904/genuardi-s-supermarket-still-standing-in-audubon

FitchMike26

FitchMike26

The Marlton, NJ Genuardi's reopened today as Rastelli Market Fresh. This is the second location for the chain, after operating a very successful location in nearby Deptford for many years.

This location also offers a full-service wine, beer and spirits selection, a rarity in New Jersey.

Story here:
http://www.nj.com/food/index.ssf/2014/07/new_rastelli_market_fresh_in_marlton_an_expansion_of_deptford_store.html#incart_more_entertainment

FitchMike26

I'm saddened to report that the very last Genuardi's store still operating, in Audubon PA, is having a going out of business sale.

While Genuardi's technically disappeared almost 3 years ago, this sole location stayed open with the Genuardi's name outside all this time.

No formal announcement has been made of the actual closing date yet.

Two stores in Northern Delaware (North Wilmington and Glasgow) built as Genuardi's stores remain open, with the Safeway name on the outside.