Jubilee Foods in Ogdensburg NY

Started by Jag67, May 01, 2005, 02:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag67

They are a local supermarket chain that's going through BIG financial troubles. This location opened around 1976 and closed in May 2004. This location was VERY small. The newer ones were a bit bigger. But when this was built, Clarence was still just a litte rural town, so there was no need for a huge megasupermarket.

amesman

I remember seeing the one in Orchard Park. Id that one still there?

jmn3

No, the ORchard Park Jubilee has been closed for a couple of years as well.  

There's a handful of individually owned stores left locally but most of the stores were closed a few years ago when their corporate parent (I think Scrivner's) sold off the stores or closed them.

Jubilee's are pretty new to Buffalo, relatively speaking.  They didn't show up until about 1992 or 93 when all of the former Super Duper's were changed over to Jubilee's.  

Heh...either way, Super Duper (Repus Repud backwards) and Jubilee were usually small, older stores that were often without many products and were typically quite dirty.

Jag67

Yep. This one was a super-duper and before that, a Bell's.:dizzy:

Jag67

here's another old Jubilee. This became Sears hardware around 1995 or so.:roll:

Caldor1999

i think ive seen them around ??????
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

mikey1972

Does anyone remember the Jubilee Foods chain?:huh:  There were 2 or 3 stores in Northern New York (Ogdensburg, Canton and Carthage).  I live in Ogdensburg and we had one for about 3 years.  Jubilee was part of the IGA chain and I remember on the store's sign, there was a miniature IGA logo above the letter "i" in the name Jubilee.

amesman

There were many locations in the Buffalo area as well. They are, or were, owned by the Penn-Traffic Company, who own Syracuse based P&C Supermarkets. Many of the Buffalo locations are now closed.

mikey1972

Does anyone know how to insert attachments to posts?  I have some articles that I would like to include.

amesman

Go to "Post Reply" at the bottom right corner of the page(before the Quick Reply box. Go down to the box where it says "Attach File", and click "Browse" to search your computer for the file or picture you want to include. But please make sure the picture is 640 x 480 resolution. Thanks!

store215

This "chain" is still around. It seems to be a CO-OP like IGA (and it looks like some stores are branded IGA as well)

mikey1972

Here is an article from my local newspaper, the Ogdensburg (NY) Journal from September 1992 when our local Super Duper was renovated and renamed Jubilee Foods.  Notice the miniature IGA logo above the letter "i" in Jubilee.  This store closed down in the summer of 1996 and has been vacant since.  The entire plaza is abandoned and slated for demolition next year.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
They are a local supermarket chain that's going through BIG financial troubles. This location opened around 1976 and closed in May 2004. This location was VERY small. The newer ones were a bit bigger. But when this was built, Clarence was still just a litte rural town, so there was no need for a huge megasupermarket.

Here is an ad from a book dated 1993 for our local Jubilee store in Ogdensburg NY.  It was formerly an Acme, then Chicago Markets, then Super Duper before Jubilee.  It was a Jubilee from 1992 until 1996, when the store closed.  It has been vacant ever since.