Your Super Market

Started by jmcnamara96, September 17, 2009, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your Super Market

Total Members Voted: 0

jmcnamara96

Whats your favorite one? mines market basket discuss your favorite and your least favorite hear

wwefan101

price chopper cause of the gas  savings are the best  market basket is comeing to oxford  so i wont know what i think until it opens

jmcnamara96

market basket has great low prices

videogamer75

ACME all the way for me!!! :D :bouncing:

wwefan101

at price chopper u  get the best deals

videogamer75

We don't have those in NJ, but I like Acme for their quality and not their prices anyway. Shop-Rite may have cheaper prices but their products are much lower quality than Acme's. I once saw rotten onions at Shop-Rite! I really don't get why Shop-Rite is becoming so popular because Acme is truly better.

jmcnamara96

yea Market Basket is better then Price Chopper

Caldor1999

by me we motley have stop & shop a&p and shop rite we also have pathmark but its kinda a ghetto super market least the ones by me are we also use to have grand union till they closed all of the ones down there and converted them waldbams also use to be all over Westchester county till they turned them all into a&p's you can still find them all over long island though

personal i like stop & shop out of all of them they always have everything i need i also like there prepared foods they have there always really good and i like the set up of there stores and there new logo
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

gu4ever

Hannaford's is my local store that I shop at weekly, I do take special trips to Trader Joe's for my favorites and of course the occasional trip to Grand Union in Vermont and New York, but that is more for photo's then food.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

dmx10101

Other, because we dont have any of those on your list here in the South. Never been to or seen any of them.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

wwefan101

i cant waite to see market basket open

nims57

I would like to list my top 5 (in no particular order):

1. Albertsons

2. Safeway

3. Kroger

4. Super Fresh

5. ShopRite

DerangedHermit

It's a mixed bag.

Stop and Shop has the cleanest and biggest stores with decent selection, but their sales are pretty blah. Their regular prices are for the most part lower than any other supermarket besides Shoprite. They have lots of gadgets (Scan-It and the deli kiosk) that other stores would never have.

Waldbaums has good sales, but their stores vary wildly. Very few are as good as Stop & Shops, some are decent, and the rest are terrible. Their regular prices are bad. What do you expect? It's an A&P company.

Pathmark has good sales and decent regular prices, but their selection is bad and most of their stores are dirty. I may be lucky enough to live near the only clean Pathmark. Surprisingly, A&P hasn't ruined Pathmark yet.

King Kullen is basically a joke.

Shoprite is weird. They have very few locations around on Long Island, and they usually have the best sales and regular prices. But their stores can be much different from each other (due to being owned by different owners), and are usually run down.

Target is a much better choice than Walmart around here, but since neither have supercenters on LI, I do most of my shopping at supermarkets.

Overall, I think it's a tie between Stop & Shop and Pathmark.

store215

Wegmans is the best around here. Many don't shop there because they think the prices are high, but for everyday grocery items, they are much lower than other stores. What other supermarket has over 600 employees for a single store?

ShopRite is my 2nd pick for my area and shopping. Store isn't anything special, and looks pretty outdated (but clean) even though it is only 11 years old. Very poor everyday pricing though, I only go there for the sale items, which are the lowest around.

We have a local chain called Redner's here, which is your basic store..no real fancy displays or anything like that. Some of the prices are lower than the above, some are higher. I avoid anything "fresh" from this store. Very scary (and rude) employees as many are on some kind of work-release with a minimum-security prison across the street.

There is also Giant, SuperFresh, Acme, and a newer (fomer SuperFresh) Pathmark around here, but they aren't anything special and rarely shop at those unless there is a really good sale. There is also a Super Walmart opening soon, but I will probably not be shopping there.

MikeRa

"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Marc82

I shop whoever had the best deals on what I need. This weeks shopping for example will be done at Price Chopper. Price Chopper's the closest. I can't stand The Discount Food Outlet (which is actually closer than PC). Too crowded. Only 3 registers. And it smells funky in there. Even tho there's one in my city Shoprite in Waterbury is easier to get to. Sometimes I go to Stop & Shop. And I hate Aldis. I miss Shaw's.   :'(

Bdubs

I prefer stop & shop.  I find their produce to be the freshest, and prices not all that bad. 
Of course, there really isn't anything else within 10 mins. from me other than Shaws, and there really is no price difference between them and stop and shop. 

I'll admit, sometimes I buy all my non meats/produce items at Wal Mart SuperCenter. lol. 

AmesNewington

This is a complex subject matter for me. Grocery stores are my thing. I even work at one, so it's obvious.

I work at Waldbaum's, and have always liked them. I knew the chain better as Waldbaum's Foodmart. I just convinced my mom to start shopping at my place of work (in W. Hartford), even though it's not in the town I live in (Newington). I have no idea if she'll go every week, but I'm loving it for now. We used to go to another Waldbaum's (which is labeled as A&P) in Berlin, CT, however we do not shop there anymore for many reasons. I only go there for odds and ends because I like the store itself (minus the associates). I do not like how A&P let the Foodmart chain diminish in to a handful of stores. I miss our little store in Newington Center. 

Shaw's in Newington has been our primary grocery store for many years. It seems as if everytime we shop elsewhere, we seem to always end up back at Shaw's. It's such a simple store with plenty of room to get around and get your shopping done. They have the gas rewards program. Rumors have swirled around that this Shaw's will close. I sure hope not.

Price Chopper is another favorite. However, my mom refuses to shop at the Newington store. I can see why, as we tried shopping there a few weeks ago. The customer service is terrible. If ever my dad is not working, he'll drive us up to the Southington store. He likes the gas program and he likes their bakery. I will still go to the Newington store for lunch and odds and ends, but no weekly shopping. 

That's about it as far as weekly shopping goes. On days off from work, I'll rotate between stores to pick up lunch. I'll go to Stop and Shop once and a while, although the Newington one is too busy. I'll also go to Stew Leonards in Newington and Big Y in Rocky Hill.

Marc82

Quote from: AmesNewington on January 28, 2010, 09:59:51 PM
We used to go to another Waldbaum's (which is labeled as A&P) in Berlin, CT, however we do not shop there anymore for many reasons. I only go there for odds and ends because I like the store itself (minus the associates).

I've been there twice. The store is kind of dirty. Plus the plaza where it's located is run-down. It's a bad thing when they had a fire 13 years ago and today in 2010 you can still tell they had a fire. My friend Brian has worked there for 11 years. He doesn't work a lot of hours because he works full time elsewhere, but I know he's usually there 8AM-Noon on Sundays. He's one of the Front End Supervisors.

Quote from: AmesNewington
Shaw's in Newington has been our primary grocery store for many years. It seems as if everytime we shop elsewhere, we seem to always end up back at Shaw's. It's such a simple store with plenty of room to get around and get your shopping done. They have the gas rewards program. Rumors have swirled around that this Shaw's will close.

It is what it is man. Truthfully when J. Sainsbury out of The UK owned Shaw's/Star they ran under-performing stores for too long it started hurting the more successful  stores like New Britain (which is why they closed). Price Chopper is what's killing The Shaw's in Newington and what killed Shaw's in Bristol. I worked at Shaw's from 2001-2006 (in Bristol and later Southington) and before Price Chopper opened in 2004 The Newington Shaw's was their highest grossing store in sales in the state. I predict Shaw's will be gone from Connecticut before the end this decade which ends 12/31/19.

Quote from: AmesNewington
Price Chopper is another favorite. However, my mom refuses to shop at the Newington store. I can see why, as we tried shopping there a few weeks ago. The customer service is terrible.

When I worked in The Southington PC I used to get customers from Berlin, Newington, etc who used to tell me the same thing. They used to tell me the employees at the Southington store were much friendlier.

Rant: It's a good store to shop at, but horrible to work at. They treat the employees like kindergarteners and come up with the most idiotic rules. The latest - It must be 85 degrees or warmer for the cart boys to wear shorts. When my friend told me that rule I was like "Is Kim (his supervisor) gonna stand outside with a thermometer and make sure it's not 84?" The employees are much friendlier at the Bristol store than they used to be. I think that the new manager (formerly the manager in Southington) is responsible for that. Some of the customer's there are a-holes, however. 2 weeks ago some a-hole customer tried to start a fist fight with me because I was wearing a New York Yankees Baseball Cap and he was wearing a Redsox one.

JimSawhill

In New England it is Geisslers or IGA. In Florida, Public...(by default since it is the 800 pound gorilla).