price chopper new shoping carts

Started by wwefan101, September 16, 2009, 07:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwefan101

our price chopper    has replaced ther shopin carts with  dar gray  metal ones   has yours  yet  they still got a few green ones left but mostley new ones any one know why and i will have a pic up of the  what ther new ones look like  later one tonight

wwefan101

BillyGr

They've had some of those around here in NY at stores for a while, it seems that they are replacing them on a piecemeal basis, rather than all at once (I can think of one or two stores that still have the blue/green ones).

The only difference is that most of our stores have larger (wider, but not quite as deep) carts, which is similar to the shape of the blue/green ones rather than these narrow but deep style - is this a small store perhaps (with limited space for the larger carts)?

Some of our stores also have a similar gray colored, but very small cart (it's about the size of a handbasket, except that there are two, one over the other) for people just getting a few things.

Now, does anyone remember the black carts (with I think white writing) that came before the blue/green ones?

How about the even older green (a medium shade) with yellow trim/seats - these are probably from the 80's.

All three of those (green, black, blue/grren) were plastic, so I guess they thought it was time for a change to the metal ones.

wwefan101

lol all i rember is the  green carts the new ones  seem to be  the same size i think they got like 10 green ones left

Retail Regents

The only store I know that still has those green Rehrigs is the one in the Westgate Plaza in Albany.

BillyGr

Those that have converted to Market 32 have been replaced with brown plastic carts to match the décor of the new design, but there may still be others with the blue/green ones (one that comes to mind that might, but not sure, would be Catskill).

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on May 15, 2019, 09:11:33 PM
Those that have converted to Market 32 have been replaced with brown plastic carts to match the décor of the new design, but there may still be others with the blue/green ones (one that comes to mind that might, but not sure, would be Catskill).

The 2 inner-city Albany ones (Madison Ave. and Delaware Ave.) surprisingly got converted to Market32. They reverted back to plastic during the shift to Market32, now using dark brown Versacarts (TT-100 for the express ones and V-Series 172L for the full-sized ones).

On the subject of Catskill, I did find a random green Rehrig Vista over at the Walmart, which must have escaped before they got the mandatory grey-trimmed Unarco M90ZXs they use now (there were several of those there as well). There was also an old ShopRite Unarco, which had "Shop Rite #235" on it and a date of 8-02. Here's the picture of that (with the green Rehrig in the background):

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on May 16, 2019, 05:09:45 PM
The 2 inner-city Albany ones (Madison Ave. and Delaware Ave.) surprisingly got converted to Market32. They reverted back to plastic during the shift to Market32, now using dark brown Versacarts (TT-100 for the express ones and V-Series 172L for the full-sized ones).

On the subject of Catskill, I did find a random green Rehrig Vista over at the Walmart, which must have escaped before they got the mandatory grey-trimmed Unarco M90ZXs they use now (there were several of those there as well). There was also an old ShopRite Unarco, which had "Shop Rite #235" on it and a date of 8-02. Here's the picture of that (with the green Rehrig in the background):

I'd suspect all the converted stores have the same ones (they at least sound the same as what I've seen in the couple I've been in).

That ShopRite cart is really odd, as from what I can see that store number is the location in Carmel, NY, which is quite a distance from where it is now, so sort of strange to have just one wind up there... hmm.  Also kind of funny as there once was a ShopRite on the property where Walmart exists now (along with a Jamesway later Ames) but that store was gone before Ames as I remember, so also before this cart was around (so not like they brought old ones from one store to another).

Retail Regents

All the stores that converted to Market32 got the same brown Versacarts.

And as for that ShopRite in Carmel, the fleet now appears to be mostly Unarco PC41Us of varying ages/generations, with a couple Peggs KNM650s and some Technibilt Renaissances sprinkled in. A lot of these stores seemed to have metal way back and then at some point they got a mix of new/used carts, and then added more in at different times. Strange.

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on September 16, 2009, 07:35:16 PM
They've had some of those around here in NY at stores for a while, it seems that they are replacing them on a piecemeal basis, rather than all at once (I can think of one or two stores that still have the blue/green ones).

The only difference is that most of our stores have larger (wider, but not quite as deep) carts, which is similar to the shape of the blue/green ones rather than these narrow but deep style - is this a small store perhaps (with limited space for the larger carts)?

Some of our stores also have a similar gray colored, but very small cart (it's about the size of a handbasket, except that there are two, one over the other) for people just getting a few things.

Now, does anyone remember the black carts (with I think white writing) that came before the blue/green ones?

How about the even older green (a medium shade) with yellow trim/seats - these are probably from the 80's.

All three of those (green, black, blue/grren) were plastic, so I guess they thought it was time for a change to the metal ones.

Speaking of that older green, was it a square-patterned Rehrig with a deep basket? There was one behind the Big Y in Northampton, Massachusetts. And I photographed a large, black Rehrig (without a lower rack) at the Colonie Salvation Army back in 2015 (cart is long gone). Here are those carts:

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on July 21, 2019, 11:48:20 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on September 16, 2009, 07:35:16 PM

Speaking of that older green, was it a square-patterned Rehrig with a deep basket? There was one behind the Big Y in Northampton, Massachusetts. And I photographed a large, black Rehrig (without a lower rack) at the Colonie Salvation Army back in 2015 (cart is long gone). Here are those carts:

Yep, those look like the two I was thinking of - surprising they have been around as long (and particularly that green one not only being older but in Northampton where Price Chopper hasn't ever been, unlike the Berkshires and Worcester areas).

Retail Regents

I also saw a Google street view from Aug. 2018 in which a black version of that tub-like Rehrig appeared in front of the former Walmart Neighborhood Market in Niskayuna. The rear gate was missing entirely.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7730041,-73.8951305,3a,15y,312.35h,63.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFKJEK8s5dgRh_Zn8n49NkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on May 15, 2019, 09:11:33 PMThose that have converted to Market 32 have been replaced with brown plastic carts to match the décor of the new design, but there may still be others with the blue/green ones (one that comes to mind that might, but not sure, would be Catskill).

I was looking at pictures of the Genesee Street store in Utica post-conversion, and it appears they got a set of oddly-colored refurbished Unarco M100Z, which are smaller than the overglorified Walmart carts they replaced. They have this weird dark grey color with lime green trim, and black seat flaps.

Retail Regents

It looks like some of them are in fact, former Walmart carts.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
You cannot see attachments on this board.