BLOCKBUSTER..

Started by TRU7536, September 15, 2009, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTAmeshopper

Quote from: Marc B on April 07, 2012, 01:05:45 PM
Took some shots of the former Bristol, CT Blockbuster. All exterior and interior shots were taken from the outside. The store closed the last week of March 2012. Two other photos didn't come out. And I didn't get the other side of the building due to 2 large dumpsters being there. The return slot has been removed as well.

Notice how in the 4th photo the Blockbuster sign is missing from the sign in front of the plaza. It was a sign that had the ticket shaped logo.

Dang, what a shame I was hoping this location would last through the closings, I guess not now. I bet within 10 years all video stores will be closed. :-[

TRU7536

Quote from: CTAmeshopper on July 26, 2012, 09:36:32 PM
Quote from: Marc B on April 07, 2012, 01:05:45 PM
Took some shots of the former Bristol, CT Blockbuster. All exterior and interior shots were taken from the outside. The store closed the last week of March 2012. Two other photos didn't come out. And I didn't get the other side of the building due to 2 large dumpsters being there. The return slot has been removed as well.

Notice how in the 4th photo the Blockbuster sign is missing from the sign in front of the plaza. It was a sign that had the ticket shaped logo.

Dang, what a shame I was hoping this location would last through the closings, I guess not now. I bet within 10 years all video stores will be closed. :-[

10? I say 3 to 5 years top!

Pikapower

^ I say by 2014 all Blockbuster stores would be gone!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

CTAmeshopper

I think by late 2013 all vestiges of Blockbuster will be gone!!!!!

This is sad, it's the same chain that was booming from the early to late 1990s!!!

The DVD killed them. 

Pikapower

^ I say YouTube killed Blockbuster!

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

Lastdaysofrain

I don't think most people use YouTube.

Redbox is what REALLY killed blockbuster. Your average consumer, the people who would shop at Blockbuster, are not very tech savvy, so even something like Netflix is a bit complicated for them. Most people don't even have computers still. But something like Redbox, which is at the supermarket already, is super convenient and cheaper than Blockbuster is really appealing to people.

Netflix, streaming, Amazon, cheaper purchases prices for media all were a factor, but since Redbox came into being, that really sped up Blockbuster's death.

retailisking

With this string of closures, Family Video becomes top US video rental chain
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/blockbuster-close-300-stores-continues-offer-online-video/story?id=18285591

EddieJ1984

Funny I took these pics the other day, to post here saying how I always wonder how this is still open when I pass it.
The lettering once upon a time was yellow.

The aquarium and pet center is closing in the background (it has the teal awning), so if this blockbuster is one of the 300 locations to close, that would only leave "the works" hoagie place in the shopping center open. How even more sad!

Pikapower

Quote from: retailisking on January 22, 2013, 02:16:02 PM
With this string of closures, Family Video becomes top US video rental chain
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/blockbuster-close-300-stores-continues-offer-online-video/story?id=18285591

Looks like Family Video is going to be the only video rental store chain left!

Hudsons81

Our Blockbuster in downtown Wyandotte, MI, which closed in early 2011, is now a medical office (sadly, Wyandotte already has too many of these) and the one in neighboring Southgate at a strip mall (anchored by a CVS (former Arbor Drugs)), which closed around the same time as the Wyandotte store, has been divided into a Wild Bill's Tobacco and another store whose name I forgot. The Downriver area of Michigan is now down to just three Blockbusters, according to my 2012-13 Yellow Pages.

jason83080

I checked the store locator on blockbuster.com, and found that there's ONE location near me, and that's about 14 miles away. I'm surprised they're still around!

d_fife

I saw a lot of them in alaska

ynkeesfn82

Dish Network has announced it is shutting down all remaining Blockbuster Video Locations and will also stop their Blockbuster by Mail Service.

http://www.wggb.com/2013/11/06/dish-to-close-rest-of-its-blockbuster-stores-in-us/

Pikapower

^ I was expecting the Blockbuster Video chain to close since many of their stores have closed in the last 5 years or so. I blame the presence of Redbox machines that are in stores like Wal-Mart, Wegmans, Walgreens, etc. for putting Blockbuster Video out of business.

EddieJ1984

And just the other day when I went to shoprite near me, passing the blockbuster I thought "How is it still open?"
Well seems like the end of the line has finally come.

EddieJ1984

Quote from: EddieJ1984 on January 22, 2013, 04:06:32 PM
Funny I took these pics the other day, to post here saying how I always wonder how this is still open when I pass it.
The lettering once upon a time was yellow.

The aquarium and pet center is closing in the background (it has the teal awning), so if this blockbuster is one of the 300 locations to close, that would only leave "the works" hoagie place in the shopping center open. How even more sad!
Oh yea just an update the aquarium is now a Save A Lot. Will be interesting to see what becomes of the blockbuster and when that happens.

retailisking

About 50 franchised Blockbuster locations will remain, but you have to wonder for how much longer.  I wonder what Dish got out of operating a network of retail stores. It couldn't have been a very attractive vehicle for cross-selling its DBS service or they would have kept the remaining stores open. The DVD-by-mail service either wasn't profitable or wasn't complementary to Dish's core business. I question the brand equity the Blockbuster name still had, even as a VOD service for Dish. All in all, a big waste of time and money.

zonemad96

Quote from: Pikapower on November 06, 2013, 02:53:24 PM
^ I was expecting the Blockbuster Video chain to close since many of their stores have closed in the last 5 years or so. I blame the presence of Redbox machines that are in stores like Wal-Mart, Wegmans, Walgreens, etc. for putting Blockbuster Video out of business.

Considering how many people I see using those redbox machines I can tell you dvd/blu ray rentals are still alive and doing well. I don't understand why people blame netflix and other online streaming sites for blockbusters demise it's simply not the case, if that was true redbox machines wouldn't be at every gas station, supermarket, or McDonald's in the neighborhood.

EddieJ1984

Yesterday was the last day for the one near me.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Only 51 franchised Blockbuster locations remain. They are located in Texas and Alaska.

TheFugitive

Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 29, 2015, 08:12:36 PM
Only 51 franchised Blockbuster locations remain. They are located in Texas and Alaska.

I guess these "off the grid" people in Alaska go home with a stack of DVD's whenever they
come into town to do their shopping.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on October 30, 2015, 10:12:48 AM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on October 29, 2015, 08:12:36 PM

I guess these "off the grid" people in Alaska go home with a stack of DVD's whenever they
come into town to do their shopping.

Actually the surprising part is that there are places up there where they have electric and internet but still use outhouses!

I would guess possibly that the issue is that the internet is not as fast, so it works well for communication but not as well for things like watching a movie that require a higher speed?  Also not likely that many areas outside the few "cities" would have cable due to the distances involved, so most probably have to use satellite if anything.

TheFugitive

My wife has extended family in rural Alabama where their only internet choices are (incredibly expensive) Hughesnet satellite service, or dial-up.

I once rented a house in Michigan that had well water, but was on a city sewer line.
They actually strapped a meter to the well!  That's the only way to figure out your sewer charge.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 02, 2015, 01:42:43 PM
My wife has extended family in rural Alabama where their only internet choices are (incredibly expensive) Hughesnet satellite service, or dial-up.

I once rented a house in Michigan that had well water, but was on a city sewer line.
They actually strapped a meter to the well!  That's the only way to figure out your sewer charge.

That makes some sense (the well and sewage) as finding the water is likely easier than disposing of the waste in some places.
Now why they don't just charge a flat fee per house/family or whatever instead of the meter thing, I don't know (as there are places that do that for both).

mvcg66b3r

Quote from: TheFugitive on November 02, 2015, 01:42:43 PM

Where exactly in rural Alabama? And did they have cable TV?
James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

One of the former Blockbuster locations was big enough to be divided into three smaller spaces. The location on Mason Street in Green Bay was divided into Qdoba Mexican Grill, Noodles & Company, and Smart Cow Yogurt Bar.

Family Video has finally overtaken Blockbuster as the largest brick-and-mortar video store chain in the United States and Canada.

Number of locations for each store:

*Blockbuster: 51

*Family Video: 775

Bdubs

The former Blockbuster in Colchester CT was also a huge location. They are dividing into 3 units, a Starbucks is relocating from another location in town, an AT&T retailer and another store will open by end of winter.

mixedday

Quote from: retailisking on November 07, 2013, 02:27:24 PM
About 50 franchised Blockbuster locations will remain, but you have to wonder for how much longer.  I wonder what Dish got out of operating a network of retail stores. It couldn't have been a very attractive vehicle for cross-selling its DBS service or they would have kept the remaining stores open. The DVD-by-mail service either wasn't profitable or wasn't complementary to Dish's core business. I question the brand equity the Blockbuster name still had, even as a VOD service for Dish. All in all, a big waste of time and money.

Yeah, I also didn't see what Dish got from it. I don't think Dish had intention of keeping stores open or dvd-by-mail. After all, this was unwinding already from Blockbuster.

And, Dish couldn't make Blockbuster rival or overtake Netflix or Amazon in the streaming or VOD space, but perhaps that was the perceived intention of the purchase. But for Charlie Ergen, it was probably all chump change.

mixedday

Quote from: zonemad96 on December 18, 2013, 03:40:27 PM
Quote from: Pikapower on November 06, 2013, 02:53:24 PM

Considering how many people I see using those redbox machines I can tell you dvd/blu ray rentals are still alive and doing well. I don't understand why people blame netflix and other online streaming sites for blockbusters demise it's simply not the case, if that was true redbox machines wouldn't be at every gas station, supermarket, or McDonald's in the neighborhood.

I think it's a combination of factors, with Redbox more like a final nail in the coffin. Several Blockbusters and other rental retail stores (e.g. West Coast Video, Hollywood Video) were closing stores even before Redbox became so available. Years earlier: Blockbuster was doing fine, and opening new stores, even when PPV from cable was available.

I do think digital cable PPV, and VOD, must have hurt Blockbuster probably the most, and of course, much more than analog cable PPV. Likewise Amazon and Itunes selling new movie rentals probably hurt more than Netflix streaming (which doesn't have new movie rentals). The DVD mail in service might have hurt but this has now has less marketshare than before.