BLOCKBUSTER..

Started by TRU7536, September 15, 2009, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ22487

Keene, NH will be gone next week. Store is almost empty already.

Whoever sells those yellow Store Closing banners must be making bank.

AmesNewington

I was shocked to see that Blockbuster is closing their Bishop's Corner/West Hartford store on N. Main Street. They are doing a store closing sale now.

ynkeesfn82

I heard there's not a whole lot in that plaza. What's left?

AmesNewington

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on June 14, 2010, 05:01:15 PM
I heard there's not a whole lot in that plaza. What's left?

Marshall's, D'Angelo (just opened), Iparty, and a number of small shops including Subway, Sleepy's, etc. There's not many big retailers in the Waldbaums plaza either.

d_fife

why is Block buster closing so many stores, I saw that the ones in North REading Mass is gone, what others are gone

and of that dream I had of throwing a book at someones arm there, what if I Did that in real life, what would happen to me?

DerangedHermit

Quote from: d_fife on June 16, 2010, 12:50:30 AM
why is Block buster closing so many stores

Netflix and Redbox are destroying their business model. One has an infinitely huge library of DVDs to rent, the other is even more accessible and cheaper than Blockbuster.

Blockbuster is a retail dinosaur.

ynkeesfn82

Plainville, Connecticut store is closing. Store is located at the at Route 10 and Farmington Avenue in a building (shared with CVS) that used to be Greenfield's Supermarket which became BIG Y. Big Y moved to New Britain Avenue in 1993 becoming the first World Class Big Y in Connecticut.

They must've told the landlord they were closing long before the store closing signs went up because there has been a sign up from a real estate company on the property for a few months now.

ynkeesfn82

Plainville is closed. Sign is even off the building.

d_fife

Quote from: ynkeesfn82 on August 05, 2010, 07:36:01 AM
Plainville is closed. Sign is even off the building.
will they really go out and what I do grab a book in the store and throw it at the random person's arm

can they adapt to compete with Netflix and stuff?

retailfan

They already have  they are putting blocbuster express kiosks all over indiana  now 

store215

Rumor has it they are only a few weeks away from a bankruptcy filing (they have been pushing it off for years now)....expect many more store closures, if they don't fold completely. I doubt they make much money from the Blockbuster Kiosks....from what I understand, they are handled by an outside company anyway.

CTAmeshopper

This chain is getting hit hard by Redbox and Netflix, just recently they closed a Blockbuster in the Stop & Shop plaza, only one left is the one on East Main Street! :(

EddieJ1984

On September 23, 2010, Blockbuster filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection, due to challenging losses, $900 million dollars in debt, and strong competitors from Red Box, Netflix, and cable on-demand. Blockbuster says they will keep their 3,300 stores up and running for the time being. Hollywood video filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year with a similar reason to Blockbusters

The end seems to be near.
Sure they say they will keep their stores open, but lets see how long that lasts.
As of right now the 3 blockbusters that I knew near me, 1 is still open, 1 is a moviestop and the other one is now becoming an advanced auto parts.

zonemad96

i have been to 4 blockbusters and they all were dead no one in their and they were in high populated areas except one one had a few people and its the only one still open the reason is most people dont need blockbuster theirs those 1 dollar dvd rental machines in a crap load of supermarkets and the local library has alot of games and dvds for free not to mention all of the movies free to watch online and on demand and ... im going to stop their you get my point why would anyone want to pay for over priced dvd rentals with all the much better options?

ynkeesfn82

The one in New Britain, CT closed down. Not sure when. I don't get to New Britain very often and never went to the shopping center where they were located - The Columbus Plaza on Columbus BLVD.

Meanwhile with the closure of the Plainville, CT store they have put a kiosk at both Big Y Supermarket on New Britain Avenue and the XTRA MART Conveinence store also on New Britain Avenue. This is according to their website. I haven't been to Big Y in a while, so I've never seen it.

There's also one in Kensington at Roger's Marketplace IGA grocery store on the Chamberlain Highway.

Bristol and Southington both remain open. But for how long? Bristol opened in 1991 so if they signed a 20 year lease they could close next year. I don't know for sure how long their lease is for. Just speculation on my part. The strange thing they did in Southington (and this was years ago) was move from Queen Street (Route 10) to downtown (still on Route 10 though) on Main Street.

Meanwhile they just put in a Redbox at the new Shoprite on Queen Street in Southington, but as of 11PM Monday it hadn't been hooked up. Maybe it's hooked up now since new DVDs come out on Tuesdays. Walmart had "Bluebox" but it's gone now. So now the 3 major grocery stores on Route 10 in Southington all have Redbox - Shoprite, Price Chopper, and Stop & Shop.

CTAmeshopper

It's official the remaining Blockbuster on East Main street is now also closed, sad. That store lasted a long time and now it's gone! :-[

retailisking

The North Windham, ME location is closing.

wwefan101

they just did blockbuster over in my town stoped renting playstation 2
games uggg ther probley wont last long

Bdubs

Blockbuster of Colchester, CT is closing.  Just announced last week.  That was a busy store too.  Probably one of the very few that were still turning profits.

katnapped

Is there a list of which ones are closing this round?  Two around here are closing...wondering if there's any more.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

MikeRa

The Blockbuster near me in Bensalem, PA closed last week.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

retailisking

186 more Blockbuster locations are closing starting next week, bringing the total since last September's bankruptcy filing to 1,145.  Has anyone come across a revised list of store closures?  If Costar publishes one tomorrow I'll revise this message with a link.

Lastdaysofrain

Are there any even still open? I can't think of a single location in the greater Boston area that hasn't closed.

TRU7536

Quote from: Lastdaysofrain on March 30, 2011, 09:43:18 AM
Are there any even still open? I can't think of a single location in the greater Boston area that hasn't closed.

The only one i seen around the Hartford area is Manchester CT

ynkeesfn82

Bristol, Connecticut is still open.

retailisking

Well, it took a while, but here's the new list (starts on page 15)
http://www.costar.com/webimages/watchlist/WL4-7.pdf

jmcnamara96

There going to auction i heard Dish Network was intrested in them

ynkeesfn82

Joe, you're a several days late. It was announced Dish Network won the bidding several days ago. (Late last week).  :)

ynkeesfn82

Part of the former Blockbuster Video in Plainville, CT is now a Verizon Wireless store.