28 Kmart stores closing in 2009

Started by Zayre88, September 10, 2009, 11:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayre88

I think I missed that one in August:

QuoteTwo suburban Kmart stores to close by mid-November

September 9, 2009 2:13 PM CDT
Finance & Commerce

Retail giant Sears Holdings Corp. is closing two local Kmart stores in Richfield and Minnetonka.

The two stores were on a list of 28 store closing announced across the country on August 20 in conjunction with the company's second-quarter earnings release.

The Minnetonka store, at 17501 Highway 7, is slated to close on Sept. 20. The 95,000-square-foot store has been operating since 1972, according to Kim Freely, spokeswoman for Sears Holdings Corp., based in Hoffman Estates, Ill.  (...)

http://www.finance-commerce.com/article.cfm/2009/09/10/Two-suburban-Kmart-stores-to-close-by-midNovember

HeatherM

I wish they'd provide a list...the one here is just hanging in there by the skin of its teeth. Not surprised at all by this since on the main page of Yahoo they talk about how it may be too late to save Sears....

dmx10101

The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Marc82

I'm surprised they're keeping the KMART in Waterbury, CT open. That store has been on life-support for year. Will someone put it out of its misary and pull the plug already?

NJxxJon

I can promise pics of the burlington NJ store near the end of sept......  ;)
JN

beachgal26

Wow!  I used to live in FL, so I am really sorry to see so many of them go.  We have no K-Marts in our area, but the Sears that I used to love looks more "K-Martish" every week.

wwefan101

:bouncing: im glad the  none in ma are closeing

HeatherM

Thanks for the list! I'm shocked ours isn't on it. My dad went there a couple weeks ago and said every other bank of lights was off....and it was in the middle of the day. He said it had a closing type feel.

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by HeatherM
Thanks for the list! I'm shocked ours isn't on it. My dad went there a couple weeks ago and said every other bank of lights was off....and it was in the middle of the day. He said it had a closing type feel.  
Kmart does that on purpose.  Apparently, during "peak energy hours", they shut off many of the lights in the store to save electricity.  They did this in mine, too, and it was eerie, like you described.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

KmartDanny09

Glad I have job security!!! Looks like my store is gonna finish the year in the BLACK... if we keep doing the same amount of business as we're doing now, we'll be pulling DOUBLE DIGIT gains!!

We pulled double sales on Friday (doubling last year's sales of $71,560), were 25% to year's sales on Saturday, and finished 30% over last year tonight (Sunday)...

Rumor is if our store keeps pulling these numbers, we'll be in the running for remodeling... let's go KMART!!

katnapped

Eastwood Dr, Woodstock, Il 05/09/2010
18th Avenue, Austin, MN 05/09/2010
Shotwell Street, Bainbridge, GA 05/09/2010
Main Street, Longmont, CO 05/09/2010
Greenpoint, Houston, TX (unknown format)
Sears Store, Columbia, TN 05/09/2010
Great Oaks Trail, Wadsworth, ohio
Eastlake , Ohio
West 65th, Ohio
Wheaton Way, Bremerton, WA 05/09/2010

The always (perhaps) odd thing...the northeast usually survives relatively unscathed in most of these lease terminations.  Guess we're the stronger market or something....

MikeRa

Sears announced on 2/24 that they are shutting 21 stores.  Stores that are slated for closure include 13 Kmarts, four Sears Depatment Stores and four Sears Essentials locations
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"