Main Menu

Collins, NY

Started by amesguy95, September 09, 2009, 07:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amesguy95

I don't actually live anywhere near there, but this particular Ames caught my attention because it looks like it was built from the ground up specifically to be an Ames. It's a single store, connected to no others, unlike other Ames.

Anyone know of any other Ames like this?

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by amesguy95
I don't actually live anywhere near there, but this particular Ames caught my attention because it looks like it was built from the ground up specifically to be an Ames. It's a single store, connected to no others, unlike other Ames.

Ames store #0386 that opened on 1080 Hospital Drive in ST Johnsbury, VT was also a free standing location. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose or if it was because the size of the lot and the fact it was built on such a steep grade of land.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Ames303

Quote from: gu4ever on September 09, 2009, 07:53:14 PM
QuoteOriginally posted by amesguy95

Ames store #0386 that opened on 1080 Hospital Drive in ST Johnsbury, VT was also a free standing location. I'm not sure if this was done on purpose or if it was because the size of the lot and the fact it was built on such a steep grade of land.

Ames #080 on Rome Rd in Pulaski, NY was built from the ground up as an Ames in 1977. It was freestanding for a few years until a couple of stores were added to make it a plaza. The Ames was expanded twice.  The original layout had sound and video up front across from the service desk. It had only four checkout lanes that were quickly doubled up with registers on the end of the checkstand. Decor was multi colored until the first expansion in 1980 or so when they went to white on red.

BillyGr

This location in Greenville (NY) is also a freestanding building (though there is a shopping plaza just to the right of it with a supermarket and several smaller stores):

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/gallery/main.php/v/ames/stores/NY/greenville/050506/

Not certain if it was built for Ames but I'd guess most likely it was.

On the other hand the Rensselaer (NY) store, while not freestanding WAS definitely built for Ames:

http://www.amesfanclub.com/getstore.php?ID=377

This was built onto an existing plaza that housed a ShopRite on the right end and several smaller stores (including a Wheels Auto and at about the same time as Ames was built they completed the connection that housed a Rite Aid).
This entire plaza is now office space for CSC (Computer Sciences Corporation), a different reuse but at least not just another empty plaza!

MikeinBuffalo

Visited today. I think this is the only Ames left in WNY that still bears its original label scar and signage. It's in the middle of nowhere, and I seriously doubt that this location will change anytime soon. If anyone wants to see the unscathed shell of an old Ames...come to Collins.

I think the receiving sign is still there too, albeit painted over. I noticed lettering sticking out from a painted piece of metal. Wonder if it is savable.
Bed Bath and Beyond grunt.
N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

MikeinBuffalo

Visited again and nabbed the receiving sign. Alas, it looks like the lettering has all but peeled off. I thought it was painted over, but acetone revealed bare metal under the white spray paint. Oh well. It's still nice to have. Let me know if I am wrong about the paint.

N.Y. Ames Pilgrimages completed: Medina #69, Alden #78, Collins #79, Tonawanda #251, Blasdell #1066, South Cheektowaga #1077 (RIP), Cheektowaga/Depew #1079, Buffalo #1109, Buffalo #1206 (RIP)
Dead Retail of Buffalo on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141912098@N03/albums

MikeinBuffalo

Visited again today while on a trip to Franklinville. Someone has smashed in the entrance door, which means that I could get in and look around. I didn't this time because I was in sneakers and there was smashed glass everywhere. I'll have to return with boots.

Amesguy2000

Maybe you could find some good memorabilia

108CAM

This store is now a Big Lots.
When the sign fell down in 2007 or 2008, the front covers of the sign were placed inside the store. There's a YT video of someone walking around inside and you can see the A, M & E leaning against the wall and the S can be seen sitting on the floor.
The letters A & S were fully intact however the M & E were damaged.
These letters sat inside the building all the way up to when Big Lots commenced a major refurbishment of the building to prepare the new store which opened in early 2021.
Big Lots also retained and restored the original steel road sign structure so they could re-use it for their sign.
Hopefully someone saved the red Ames sign after Big Lots removed it.
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.

108CAM

Currently looking for a photo of the storefront that shows it with the original red sign. The only photos I know of show it with the green sign or no sign and only a labelscar.
It's the same store, only without the J and the Way.   <- Common joke about Jamesway stores that became Ames stores.