Stores that closed/opened in your hometown in 2009

Started by AmesNewington, September 02, 2009, 06:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Since many chain and local stores have closed in the past year, and some stores even opened new locations, list the stores that have closed/opened in your area/town this year:

My hometown:

Newington, CT

Closed-

*Circuit City; vacant
*Office Depot; in Shaw's plaza; vacant
*Tweeter, etc.; vacant
*Applebees; vacant (closer to 2008 though)

Opened:

*Sam's Club (relocated from Berlin, CT)
*Sam's Gas Station (with Sam's)
*LA Fitness (next to Sam's)
*Dunkin' Donuts (the 6th one in town; next to Wendy's)
*Joey Garlic's Pizza (a local favorite; opened in front of Shaw's).

I'd say Newington is doing quite well as far as stores are concerned. In the past three years, we got Stew Leonards, Aldi, La-Z-Boy just to name a few. We still have space for new development. The A&P in the center of town is still vacant, and there is also the new development up Cedar Mountain (Shoppes at East Cedar Street) which will include a gas station and convenience store, a bank, a restaurant, retail space and a future hotel. There also is the future Holiday Inn Express on the Berlin Turnpike which is kind of stalling at the moment. Big things are happening in Newington.

XDeSuEhTX

Closed:

Hallmark
Edible Arrangements
Dollar Tree
Value City
Goody's

Opened:

Ollie's

That's all I can think of right now.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Marc82

Southington, CT:

Closed:

Ethan Allen

Frascone's Italian Market & Deli (Relocated to Plainville)

Bob & Penny's Garage/Used Card (Relocated to Plainville)

X-Rated Video Store (Closed right after celebrating 20th Anniversary)

McDonald's (actually closed at the end of 2008)

Contemporary Furniture Store (Opened 2nd store in Wethersfield last year. Closed Southington store only this year).

Opened:

Rite-Aid (2nd one in town. Directly Across from the I-84 Off/On Ramp) 3rd along Route 10)

Dunkin' Donuts (Across from Price Chopper)

New Conveinece Store (Opened in 1/2 of old Pattenbrook Diner)

Liberty Pizza

J & S Autosales/Garage (Opened in old Bob & Penny's)

Conti's Wine & Spirits moved from Spring Street to Queen Street (Now called Wineworks)

Thai Restaurant (Downtown. Several Different Restaurants have been there over the past few years)

Pocket Wireless

V.I.P. X-Rated Store (former Ethan Allen. Opens in November)

Bristol, CT
Closed:

Shaw's Supermarket

Family Dollar (Big Lots Plaza location only. Downtown location remains open).

Cathy's Sweet Temptation (Closed due to Landlord Issues)

Bouono's Italian Restaurant (Closed due to Landlord Issues. Same one as above, I think)

Opened:

Subway (Downtown near CVS)

Latino Restaurant (South American Cuisine)

Pocket Wireless (2 locations. One in a building that was vacant 10+ years)

Sherwood Cleaners (formerly Eagle Cleaners. Relocated across street next to Pocket Wireless).

Check Cashing Store

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Southington, CT:

Closed:

Ethan Allen

Frascone's Italian Market & Deli (Relocated to Plainville)

Bob & Penny's Garage/Used Card (Relocated to Plainville)

X-Rated Video Store (Closed right after celebrating 20th Anniversary)

McDonald's (actually closed at the end of 2008)

Contemporary Furniture Store (Opened 2nd store in Wethersfield last year. Closed Southington store only this year).

Opened:

Rite-Aid (2nd one in town. Directly Across from the I-84 Off/On Ramp) 3rd along Route 10)

Dunkin' Donuts (Across from Price Chopper)

New Conveinece Store (Opened in 1/2 of old Pattenbrook Diner)

Liberty Pizza

J & S Autosales/Garage (Opened in old Bob & Penny's)

Conti's Wine & Spirits moved from Spring Street to Queen Street (Now called Wineworks)

Thai Restaurant (Downtown. Several Different Restaurants have been there over the past few years)

Pocket Wireless

V.I.P. X-Rated Store (former Ethan Allen. Opens in November)

Bristol, CT
Closed:

Shaw's Supermarket

Family Dollar (Big Lots Plaza location only. Downtown location remains open).

Cathy's Sweet Temptation (Closed due to Landlord Issues)

Bouono's Italian Restaurant (Closed due to Landlord Issues. Same one as above, I think)

Opened:

Subway (Downtown near CVS)

Latino Restaurant (South American Cuisine)

Pocket Wireless (2 locations. One in a building that was vacant 10+ years)

Sherwood Cleaners (formerly Eagle Cleaners. Relocated across street next to Pocket Wireless).

Check Cashing Store

McDonald's closed?

Wow, one X-rated store closes just to be replaced by another.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

McDonald's closed?

Yeah. Even though its right across the street from the world headquarters of ESPN. (Route 229 on the Southington/Bristol line).

There's still 2 others in Southington. One on Route 10. And one on Route 322 in the Plantsville section of town.

HeatherM

Warren, PA

Closed:
Shoe Dept (Warren Mall)
GameStop (Warren Mall they had two locations within a mile of each other)

Opened:
Mr Salvage (in former Movie Gallery store)

Not much to report although we are anxiously watching K-Mart. The mall has its anchors but the one end only has its anchor and is empty.....everyone moved to K-Mart's end..

videogamer75

Speaking of Warren, PA, someone here once said that the Advance Auto Parts store in that town had an old Jamesway cart in the backroom. Is that still there?

HeatherM

QuoteOriginally posted by videogamer75
Speaking of Warren, PA, someone here once said that the Advance Auto Parts store in that town had an old Jamesway cart in the backroom. Is that still there?  

I mentioned the cart...it was in the Valu Home Centers next to Advance. That whole building was Jamesway then was divided after the flood. Valu bought the whole thing and took the biggest storefront and rented out the one to Advance...then one to Family Dollar for a few years...it still sits empty. I believe the cart is still there. It is in the electrical room...come to think of it they had the fire alarms go off in that room a week ago according to the scanner. Nothing came of it but they may want to retire the old cart before something else happens! I'll have to ask one of my friends that still works there. I haven't worked there for almost 2 years now.

I have been meaning to get pictures of the plaza now....as dead as it is now. With the old Quality Market store still empty and 2 of Valu's rentals still empty it just is very eerie to go by there after everyone is closed. All the lot lights are off...so dark!