Main Menu

Tops

Started by amesman, May 01, 2005, 11:29:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakethis1234

I work at Fulton Price chopper we open OCT 23

d_fife

here is the 93,000 square foot tops supermarket that opened in 1995 with a 108,000 square foot kmart and that opened over an outdated mall

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/west_seneca.asp

jmn3

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the 93,000 square foot tops supermarket that opened in 1995 with a 108,000 square foot kmart and that opened over an outdated mall

from http://www.pyramidmg.com/portfolio/west_seneca.asp

Actually that Tops did not open until 1997 at the "Shops at West Seneca" (which is just the crappy name they came up with to rename the site where the Seneca Mall used to be).  The mall was demolished in the fall of 1994 and this Tops store opened in May 1997.  K-Mart didn't open until about two or three years later.  Looking at the picture, the left half of the Tops store (approx.) is the location of the former JCPenney building at the mall.  Tops and K-Mart are set farther back than the mall was...so JCP was set about half in the current Tops store and half in the current parking lot.

Side note: That stupid name, Shops at West Seneca, has never stuck with people.  Most people call it "The Seneca Mall" or more used is the great phrase that people in Buffalo adapt to anything "Where the Seneca Mall used to be."  In fact, Tops gives location names and numbers to all stores and that one is Store #49 - Seneca Mall.

Ames#1171

As of this July 6 press release, Tops is leaving the Ohio market:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060707/1026398.asp

Tops to sell 46 stores in Ohio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N.Y., Pennsylvania will be chain's focus

By MATT GLYNN
News Business Reporter
7/7/2006

Tops Markets plans to divest its 46 supermarkets in Northeast Ohio, which has been a trouble spot for the chain.
"This geographically separate region is no longer considered a core part of Tops' market area, which is concentrated in New York and Pennsylvania," Tops' parent company, Ahold, said in a statement on Thursday.

The 46 locations are in Greater Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown and Norwalk. They employ about 3,800 full- and part-time employees.

The planned sale has no impact on Tops' operations in its hometown of Western New York, said Denny Hopkins, a spokesman for Tops. "Tops has a strong brand loyalty in New York, particularly in Buffalo Niagara," he said. He noted the chain is the market share leader in the Buffalo area, and No. 2 in the Rochester area.

Ahold has retained Chicago-based William Blair and Co. to coordinate discussions with potential buyers. Ahold used the same firm when it put the Wilson Farms convenience store chain up for sale.

Tops hopes to complete the process by the end of the year. Hopkins said the chain will consider all offers, including selling to more than one buyer.

Tops operates 119 Tops stores and four other stores under the Martin's banner in New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. If all 46 stores are sold, it would reduce the number of stores under the Tops banner to 73. Tops is a division of another Ahold-owned supermarket chain, Giant of Carlisle, Pa.

Ahold executives have pointed to Tops' Northeast Ohio market as a drag on Ahold's U.S. retail sales. Last year, in a bid to turn things around, Tops named a new regional executive, closed two stores, and switched to selling prepackaged meat in that region.

"We had tried several initiatives there and unfortunately they did not meet the results we had expected," Hopkins said.

Hopkins called Northeast Ohio one of the toughest markets where Tops competes, particularly with an influx of discount chains vying for market share.

The plan to divest the Ohio stores follows previous steps Tops has taken to reduce its presence in New York state, by selling or closing stores in Eastern New York.

The chain said it wants to focus on its core markets in the Buffalo and Rochester areas. This year, it is pouring $20 million into 11 stores in Erie, Niagara and Orleans counties. It plans to spend up to $40 million to upgrade an additional 12 to 15 area stores next year.

Ahold will concentrate its resources on the New York and Pennsylvania markets where the chain is stronger, Hopkins said.

Ahold's shares rose 12 cents to $8.61 Thursday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has gained 14 percent this year.

e-mail: mglynn@buffnews.com
Ames" border="0

powersbt

Very Interesting. Almost seems like there is more to this. Between this and the Eastern NY Market, they're dropping a lot of stores. Many of the stores in my Market were fairly new.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
As of this July 6 press release, Tops is leaving the Ohio market:

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060707/1026398.asp

Tops to sell 46 stores in Ohio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
N.Y., Pennsylvania will be chain's focus

By MATT GLYNN
News Business Reporter
7/7/2006

Tops Markets plans to divest its 46 supermarkets in Northeast Ohio, which has been a trouble spot for the chain.
"This geographically separate region is no longer considered a core part of Tops' market area, which is concentrated in New York and Pennsylvania," Tops' parent company, Ahold, said in a statement on Thursday.

The 46 locations are in Greater Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown and Norwalk. They employ about 3,800 full- and part-time employees.

The planned sale has no impact on Tops' operations in its hometown of Western New York, said Denny Hopkins, a spokesman for Tops. "Tops has a strong brand loyalty in New York, particularly in Buffalo Niagara," he said. He noted the chain is the market share leader in the Buffalo area, and No. 2 in the Rochester area.

Ahold has retained Chicago-based William Blair and Co. to coordinate discussions with potential buyers. Ahold used the same firm when it put the Wilson Farms convenience store chain up for sale.

Tops hopes to complete the process by the end of the year. Hopkins said the chain will consider all offers, including selling to more than one buyer.

Tops operates 119 Tops stores and four other stores under the Martin's banner in New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio. If all 46 stores are sold, it would reduce the number of stores under the Tops banner to 73. Tops is a division of another Ahold-owned supermarket chain, Giant of Carlisle, Pa.

Ahold executives have pointed to Tops' Northeast Ohio market as a drag on Ahold's U.S. retail sales. Last year, in a bid to turn things around, Tops named a new regional executive, closed two stores, and switched to selling prepackaged meat in that region.

"We had tried several initiatives there and unfortunately they did not meet the results we had expected," Hopkins said.

Hopkins called Northeast Ohio one of the toughest markets where Tops competes, particularly with an influx of discount chains vying for market share.

The plan to divest the Ohio stores follows previous steps Tops has taken to reduce its presence in New York state, by selling or closing stores in Eastern New York.

The chain said it wants to focus on its core markets in the Buffalo and Rochester areas. This year, it is pouring $20 million into 11 stores in Erie, Niagara and Orleans counties. It plans to spend up to $40 million to upgrade an additional 12 to 15 area stores next year.

Ahold will concentrate its resources on the New York and Pennsylvania markets where the chain is stronger, Hopkins said.

Ahold's shares rose 12 cents to $8.61 Thursday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. The stock has gained 14 percent this year.

e-mail: mglynn@buffnews.com

d_fife

here is the former tops supermarket in Whitehall new york (near the vermont border) and it is vacant as of May 30, 2006. when I Got gas across the street, I asked the person if a new supermarket will come and he said he has not heard of one. well the town is hurting because they have to drive 15 miles. well a price chopper could come. I have pictures of this tops 2 years ago and have to digitize the pictures.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the former tops supermarket in Whitehall new york (near the vermont border) and it is vacant as of May 30, 2006. when I Got gas across the street, I asked the person if a new supermarket will come and he said he has not heard of one. well the town is hurting because they have to drive 15 miles. well a price chopper could come. I have pictures of this tops 2 years ago and have to digitize the pictures.

more former whitehall one

StarSage

hmm..that oval-shaped sign looks like it may have once been an Eckerd's drug

QuoteOriginally posted by Jag67
hey, thanx for the info. Wow, 1982. That's still pretty old compared top the new ones. Out of all those you listed, I've been to the last 2. I remember somebody telling me that the university store was built in the mid 80's. I think it was renovated when the whole plaza was rebuilt a few years ago.

PS Jmn3 do you know when the Tops at Transit and North French rd. was built? That's the tops we always go to..

PS- I'm sure you know this but on Delaware ve. near the bon-ton sheridan location there's a former Tops, which became a Vix and then closed. What's funny is, thanks to deterioration, you can see the original 60's walls and floor under the newer stuff. Cool!!

d_fife

old tops in champlain ny that price chopper bought out and moved next door in the old ames.

d_fife

what is now in the one in malone ny

shakethis1234

Martin Super Foods which is ownd by Tops is Non Union in the buffalo area tops cosed and ope up as martin super foods so the dont have to deal with union

jmn3

The Martin's stores in Buffalo (Derby, Dunkirk, Batavia, and for a short time, Amherst before reverting back to Tops) are unionized under Local One, just as the Tops stores.  The bargaining agreement is exactly the same.  I'm not sure where the rumor was started that the Martin's stores would be non-union, but they certainly are 100% unionized just as their Tops cousins are.

shakethis1234

on wsyr chanel 9 news said last night that the whole tops chain is being put for up for sale

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
on wsyr chanel 9 news said last night that the whole tops chain is being put for up for sale

Sure enough, it's true.

News Story

That will lead quite a void of markets. Makes ya wonder who will be interested in picking them up??

amesman

Price Chopper has shown interest in buying some old Tops locations. Perhaps they'll come out to the Rochester and Buffalo areas now.

Marc82

I don't think so. I was told we're not going to enter any new markets right now. Expansion is going to continue in existing markets. For example by 2010 we're supposed to open 4 more locations in the Hartford, Connecticut area including Windsor which is supposed to be opening in May 2007.

amesman

I think they changed their tune. Read this and you'll see what I mean. http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/11/06/daily10.html?f=et55&hbx=e_du

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
I think they changed their tune. Read this and you'll see what I mean. http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/11/06/daily10.html?f=et55&hbx=e_du

"Price Chopper, which owns 115 supermarkets in six states, bought six Tops stores last year. A number of the existing Tops are located near Price Chopper supermarkets. "

To me, it sounds like they want to purchase stores to move out of older existing stores, much like they did when they bought some P&C and other Tops Stores.

I would venture that Wegmans would also be a strong Contender in looking to purchase some stores.

Ames#1171

Here in Cleveland, Giant Eagle bought 18 of our Tops Supermarkets, and Dave's Supermarket bought 5 of them.  As of now the rest of them will close, including the one that is about 2 minutes from my house, which is huge.  I also heard that Giant Eagle made everyone in the stores that they bought, re-apply for their jobs, and will slash pay rates and benefits after the takeover.
Ames" border="0

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
I also heard that Giant Eagle made everyone in the stores that they bought, re-apply for their jobs, and will slash pay rates and benefits after the takeover.

It's not the first time stores have done that. In 1996 when Shaw's bought the Edwards in Southington (and I assume the other Edward's they bought as well Waterbury, West Hartford, etc) they made the employees who wanted to stay on reapply for their jobs. I don't know about pay/benefit cuts.

datrain021

When Giant Eagle bought some of the Big Bear's they made us all apply for jobs. Although in my opinion this was a good thing considering my store wasnt bought, but I was able to get a job in a store that had been bought. For most employees (unless they were low-pay cashiers) had to take pay cuts. We got a whole 10 cents a hour bump for every year we had been with Big Bear above the standard starting pay.

Ames#1171

Here is the closed Tops in Parma, which will eventually become a Giant Eagle:

Ames" border="0

Anonymous

There are a boatload of abandoned Tops locations around here. A couple have been turned into "Rego's Fresh Market," which pretty much painted the Tops aisle signs green and wrote "Rego's" on them before opening. A LOT of the Tops signage remains. There's an old location at Sheffield Centre that became an Apples market, which has the same signs from Tops before it, only they kept the aisle markers red, made new ones to match the existing Tops-done ones, and wrote "Apples" on the signs, with pictures of apples on them as well.

One former Tops in Elyria became a Giant Eagle, and then closed a short time later, since it couldn't compete with the Super Wal-Mart and other, larger Giant Eagle location in close proximity to it. Its last day was February 2nd.

The old Tops location in Avon Lake is sitting vacant, as is the new 'prototype' location in Brook Park. The Brook Park location used to be the $1.50 movie theater, and was the foundation for redoing the entire plaza's appearance to match the Tops building design. A Giant Eagle could move in, if one hadn't taken over the old Acme SuperCenter building around the corner when that store closed in 1996.

When Ames went under, Tops bought its building and demolished it to build a new store, moving from their old Pick-n-Pay outlot at Great Northern Mall to the new building. The old building is now home to Remington College, and the new building is sitting empty.

Something I've noticed is that all of the abandoned Tops stores still have all of their signage hanging up in tact. Is this a common practice? It's like they simply closed the doors and never looked back.

Ames#1171

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Something I've noticed is that all of the abandoned Tops stores still have all of their signage hanging up in tact. Is this a common practice? It's like they simply closed the doors and never looked back.

The last time I looked in the Brooklyn, OH Tops, the registers and everything were still there.  Like you said it looks like they just closed one day and never opened again.
Ames" border="0

Anonymous

Which Tops is the one you took the pictures of? You said Parma, which brings to mind three possibilities. The only one that makes sense to me is the one on Broadview Road across from the old Ames plaza. It's not the one on Pleasant Valley Road, since Wikipedia claims that it's now an Acme Fresh Market store. I know it's not the one by Parmatown Mall, since that one - at last check, unless it renovated/moved - was that modern-looking one that, once upon a time, used to be Gold Circle, then Hills. When Hills moved out, Finast moved over and turned the building into a superstore location, leaving their old location - next door, red awning and all - to become VIX Deep Discount (later VIX/3D Deep Discount Drug). They eventually closed, and the space was gutted to become Circuit City.

At any rate, that Tops looks like it was destined to be a Giant Eagle from the start. Its building design is identical to the GE ones, except that it has the signature Finast/Tops trapezoidal entrance design.

Ames#1171

Which Tops is the one you took the pictures of? You said Parma, which brings to mind three possibilities. The only one that makes sense to me is the one on Broadview Road across from the old Ames plaza. It's not the one on Pleasant Valley Road, since Wikipedia claims that it's now an Acme Fresh Market store. I know it's not the one by Parmatown Mall, since that one - at last check, unless it renovated/moved - was that modern-looking one that, once upon a time, used to be Gold Circle, then Hills. When Hills moved out, Finast moved over and turned the building into a superstore location, leaving their old location - next door, red awning and all - to become VIX Deep Discount (later VIX/3D Deep Discount Drug). They eventually closed, and the space was gutted to become Circuit City.

At any rate, that Tops looks like it was destined to be a Giant Eagle from the start. Its building design is identical to the GE ones, except that it has the signature Finast/Tops trapezoidal entrance design.

The Tops that I posted the pictures of is the one on Snow Rd. across the street from Ames that I used to work at.  The store that you mentioned on Broadview was a Giant Eagle until a couple of months ago, but moved into the former Tops seen in my pictures.  The Tops at Parmatown was recently demolished, as there is an existing Giant Eagle next to the vacant Circuit City.
Ames" border="0

Anonymous

Aw, they demolished that snazzy looking Tops? :( That sucks!

It's been years since I've lived out that way, so my geography's a little fuzzy. I'm trying to picture a Tops on Snow Road, but I'm coming up empty handed, unless my street geography is off. I think we're talking about the same one (the Ames plaza has an italian restaurant in it whose name escapes me, but I had a graduation party there years ago), and there's also a McDonald's and a car wash nearby.

Ames#1171

Aw, they demolished that snazzy looking Tops? :( That sucks!

It's been years since I've lived out that way, so my geography's a little fuzzy. I'm trying to picture a Tops on Snow Road, but I'm coming up empty handed, unless my street geography is off. I think we're talking about the same one (the Ames plaza has an Italian restaurant in it whose name escapes me, but I had a graduation party there years ago), and there's also a McDonald's and a car wash nearby.
Yeah they knocked it down a month or so ago.  For what I don't know.  I'm off tomorrow, so I'm going to try and get out and get some pics to post.  The restaurant in the plaza is Dimtri's, and you are right, there is a McDonald's and Car Wash down the street.  This area is on the corner of Snow and Broadview, so you are in the right area.  Here is a snapshot from Google Earth:
Ames" border="0

Ames#1171

Ok here are some pictures:

Quote(the Ames plaza has an Italian restaurant in it whose name escapes me, but I had a graduation party there years ago)

An updated picture of the former Tops on Snow Rd, now a Giant Eagle:

QuoteThe only one that makes sense to me is the one on Broadview Road across from the old Ames plaza.
This is the store you are thinking of on Broadview, it was a Giant Eagle, but now sits empty because they moved into the old Tops on Snow:

Quotethe one by Parmatown Mall, since that one - at last check, unless it renovated/moved - was that modern-looking one that, once upon a time, used to be Gold Circle, then Hills. When Hills moved out, Finast moved over and turned the building into a superstore location

Here is the site of the former Parmatown Tops.  Gone, as is the Circuit City that was next door.

And finally, here is a picture of the abandoned Tops on Ridge Rd in Brooklyn, just couple blocks from my house:
Ames" border="0

Anonymous

Ah, the memories of that neighborhood. I remember that Tops at Ridge Park Square fondly. Back in '99, my grandma and I would spend Saturdays together out that way, but she'd have to work something like 8-noon, so I'd go into town with her and spend the morning by myself until she got out of work. I used to get breakfast at that McDonald's over there, then sit in the parking lot of RPS and watch my Saturday morning Fox Kids. (In particular, I always made time for Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. It was on at 9:30am on Saturdays on WB55. My little 2.1" TV could get enough reception that I could watch it!)

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The old Giant Eagle on Broadview looks larger than the old Tops on Snow does, so why did they move? It just seems like a dumb move to me, like Staples opening next to Best Buy in what was left of Kmart over there, despite there being a fully functional Office Depot building RIGHT NEXT DOOR. (The Arhaus store could easily be moved, if it's even still there.)

Re: Parmatown - I can't believe that whole building was demolished. I also didn't know that Kohl's (is that the building on the far right?) was so close to it. Is the old OfficeMax still standing over there? (History: That spot was once the studios of WUAB-TV 43 before its merger with 19 and subsequent move to Downtown Cleveland.)