Circuit City

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zonemad96

Quote from: buzz86us on March 12, 2014, 08:13:15 AM
lol @ Ultimate that store lasted like 2 months around here what a waste.

From Wikipedia
"Ultimate began a large expansion campaign in 2000 and by 2004 the company had doubled its store count to 64, leading to the company filing for bankruptcy."

Whats the point of gaining more stores if you are just going to go bankrupt from it?

It's sad that someone was stupid enough to waste that much money

ynkeesfn82

The former Circuit City in Torrington, CT is becoming a Michael's Arts & Crafts store.

http://nerej.com/68594

Ameskid

Here's the location at Center of Cincinnati during its closing sale.

Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

jason83080

I was driving out across town earlier, and I believe the old CC location at Ridge Park Square in Brooklyn, OH, is now an Ashley Furniture HomeStore. I didn't stop to look, but the Ashley signs were on the building that the CC signs used to be on.

Meanwhile, almost every other CC around here is sitting vacant/for lease. North Olmsted's (in the Water Tower Square plaza) is STILL vacant, from the days of the burgundy plug exterior! Those "For Lease" signs are so faded, it's not even funny.

Hudsons81

The store in Taylor, MI sat vacant for about four years before it became a Big Lots in 2013.

TRU7536

I am on vacation in Florida this week and went to the Merritt Square mall in Merritt Island and there's a circuit city across the street that's still vacant

jason83080

A minor update: The CC in Elyria, OH, is still vacant, but the carpet store between that and Home Depot (which, many moons ago, started life as Buddy's Carpet) is now another new home for Jamie's Carpet Shop. I'm not sure if it's the same stock that's bounced between Amherst and Avon (Mattress Warehouse in French Creek Square was originally a Jamie's Carpet Shop for a very brief time; when it closed, MW moved from the front to the back, and EdenPure Heaters opened an outlet store over Christmas last year in the old front space), but it was surprising to see the name pop up again.

HannafordHearts

There was a Circuit City at the Crossgates Commons in Albany, NY that opened around 2001, so it was a newer store model. Closed with the rest of the chain in 2009, then became Ultimate Electronics in July 2010. UE was only open for about 9 months before the chain's bankruptcy and closure in April 2011. It then became an indoor go-kart place called Fastrax Raceway, which opened in July 2013. Unfortunately, in October 2014, the owners were locked out of the building due to not paying finances. However, by the next month, K1 Speed, a larger chain of go-kart centers, had acquired the building and started operating the racetrack once again.
Here's a picture from 2007 (not mine):

A Google street view from 2011 after UE closed:
http://i.imgur.com/AdA2oRY.jpg
In this picture I took myself, you can see the building as it was when it was Fastrax:
http://i.imgur.com/ccBkR6C.jpg
Also, the CC that closed at Sangertown in New Hartford is still vacant, save for a seasonal Spirit Halloween store. The building has also been used twice that I know of as a showroom for Carbone Auto, a series of auto dealerships down the street. I have read however that there are plans to convert the building into a new wing of the mall, including two restaurants. (Buffalo Wild Wings, and possibly Red Robin, but still not confirmed .)

Chuck E. Cheese

Went to the Newington, CT one a Long time ago before they closed. Remember when they (and Orange?) Closed. PC Richard's moved in and Didn't Change Much on the outside and It still has the classic Red Triangle. Only been inside it Post-PC Richards a few times.

jason83080

Something is moving into the old Circuit City in Elyria, OH, by the mall. I've seen a sign telling workers to enter in the back. I did drive by the other night, and saw that the checkout and Firedog signs are still hanging. I wonder what's moving in?

Also, Planet Fitness has taken over part of the old CC in North Olmsted, OH... FINALLY.

Ameskid

Quote from: HannafordHearts on January 16, 2015, 12:42:47 PM
It then became an indoor go-kart place called Fastrax Raceway, which opened in July 2013. Unfortunately, in October 2014, the owners were locked out of the building due to not paying finances. However, by the next month, K1 Speed, a larger chain of go-kart centers, had acquired the building and started operating the racetrack once again.

Gotta love it when old stores are turned into karting places. It's happened twice in the area: once in a former Swallen's, since demolished, and again in a former Roberds Grand, which is doing quite well.

retailfan

Circuit City is coming back again
Top Stories - January 26, 2016
Circuit City Set To Return This Spring
New York area retail vets Ronny Shmoel and Albert Liniado are betting that the third time will be the charm for Circuit City. More »

TheFugitive

They're bringing me back!!  I'm The Wiz again!!

Chuck E. Cheese

retailfan

the story is on twice.com about the reopening.

JSIDA17

Anniston, AL Circuit City in business (2008)

What it is now (Divided between Dollar General and Homesmart)

JSIDA17

Circuit City magazine ad from 2003

Ameskid

Former Circuit City at Sangertown Square, New Hartford, NY.  Looks like this has been pretty much empty since the chain closed.  This is slated to become some restaurant (forget which offhand) in the near future.

Former Circuit City, New Hartford, NY by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

Chuck E. Cheese

2 New York Investors are trying to bring Circut City back with a smaller store size and a RadioShack type experience.
http://circuitcitycorporation.com/news-press/

Ameskid

Well, considering what shape Radio Shack is in right now, modeling ANYTHING after them seems like a terrible idea...

HannafordHearts

Quote from: Ameskid on June 06, 2016, 10:24:46 PM
Former Circuit City at Sangertown Square, New Hartford, NY.  Looks like this has been pretty much empty since the chain closed.  This is slated to become some restaurant (forget which offhand) in the near future.

Former Circuit City, New Hartford, NY by Harvestman Man, on Flickr

It was going to become a Buffalo Wild Wings a couple of years ago, but I think those plans fell though. As of now it's just being used for seasonal Halloween stores.

danfifepsu

Quote from: retailisking on April 04, 2017, 03:31:54 PM

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/04/04/news/bangor/demolition-underway-at-former-circuit-city-in-bangor

what will it become???
Also notice how that retail area in Bangor is in the northern most part of Bangor? neat how thats your last chance before Maine becomes Desolate and trees and farmlands.

buzz86us

has anything been done with the New Hartford store since? I haven't been to utica in years..

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The former Circuit City in La Mesa, California (a suburb of San Diego) is now a Walmart Neighborhood Market. The building still has the "plug" entrance, but it was painted brown. This Walmart Neighborhood Market made the news for the wrong reasons, for taking business away from a neighboring Ralphs supermarket.

danfifepsu

Quote from: ShopKoFan on April 26, 2017, 11:43:34 AM
The former Circuit City in La Mesa, California (a suburb of San Diego) is now a Walmart Neighborhood Market. The building still has the "plug" entrance, but it was painted brown. This Walmart Neighborhood Market made the news for the wrong reasons, for taking business away from a neighboring Ralphs supermarket.

I went there last summer its near a mall and Toys r us.

giantsfan2016

What a bunch of bull s h i t. Ralph's and Walmart are two of the largest grocery retailers out there.

Zayre88

Then and Now in Bangor:

danfifepsu

Quote from: Brammy on April 26, 2017, 03:50:35 PM

What a bunch of bull s h i t. Ralph's and Walmart are two of the largest grocery retailers out there.

when I went to La Mesa 2 years ago I went to that Walmart Neighborhood Market and said to myself I could tell that was Circuit City.

Wild_Rose

This is me in front of a former North Dartmouth, Massachusetts location. Full signage remains with the old plug design and logo.  This picture is from December of 2019. I'm amazed that the location is in as decent condition as it is. I heard it has been used as a Spirit Halloween, but even still, usually, the labels are removed. A good piece of retail history still standing in southern MA if you want to snap a few pictures.