closed store locations reopening

Started by nims57, September 02, 2009, 01:56:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nims57

Has anyone ever seen a closed store literally "come back to life"? I know an Office Depot that closed and reopened as Office Depot a few years later.

AmesNewington

Office Depot did re-open a few years back in Newington CT at a different location, but closed again earlier this year. I always wondered why they tried again after their last shot. The newer location was smaller too.

Years back, a Dominos Pizza on Main Street in Newington closed and re-opened again, but closed again. (Same idea). Then multiple pizza restaurants opened and closed in that spot and now the space is empty. It is cursed.  

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
Office Depot did re-open a few years back in Newington CT at a different location, but closed again earlier this year. I always wondered why they tried again after their last shot. The newer location was smaller too.

Years back, a Dominos Pizza on Main Street in Newington closed and re-opened again, but closed again. (Same idea). Then multiple pizza restaurants opened and closed in that spot and now the space is empty. It is cursed.  

I knew a Randalls grocery store in Houston, TX that opened in 1981. At some point it closed and became a Fiesta grocery store. That closed in the late 90's, then it became a Randalls again, but it closed again around 2000. It has been vacant ever since.

Also odd is Randalls was bought by Safeway in 1999. Safeway had their own stores in Houston, but exited the area in the late 80's.

XDeSuEhTX

Cici's Pizza closed once and had a grand re-opening a few months later.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

C3Nostalgia

The J.C. Penney at Washington Mall in Washington, Pa closed in February 2007 to move into The Foundry about a Mile down the road from the mall.  Then when it was discovered that The Foundry had foundation problems and the architect was in Chapter 11, all the tenants of The Foundry moved back out.  Penney's opened back up in it's former location in the Washington Mall  about a year and a half later in September 2008.  I think that for the time being, Penney's is the main reason the mall has not closed.

gu4ever

There are 2 locations I can think of, one is Rave in Nashua, NH that was to close in the spring of 2009. They were down to 1 rounder of clothing left to sell, had taken all their hardware down, sold off fixtures thrown away marketing and the real estate department renegotiated there lease at the last moment. The store had to be reassembled and all new apparel shipped to the store along with marketing and missing hardware fixtures that had been sold during liquidation.
The other is Lindt Chocolate in Concord, NH. They were to close on June 28, 2009. They were in the final selling days when the corporate office determined it would be good business sense to keep the location open till the end of 2009?!! They had to completely reassemble their store order a whole new store of chocolate along with missing fixtures and marketing.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

Marc82

Sbarro in Bristol, CT. Opened in The Bristol Plaza in the early 90s. Closed in the mid 90s. Reopened in same location around 99. Closed again. Now it's a Starbucks.

MikeRa

The Boscov's at Monmouth Mall closed and then reopened a few years later
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

ynkeesfn82

Papa John's in Bristol, CT operated on Route 6 next to a muffler shop for a couple years. Closed. And reopened in the same spot a couple of years ago.

Not exactly the same because it changed locations, Domino's closed their Bristol, CT at 815 Farmington Ave for several years. Then they reopened a few years back in the Bristol Plaza. Their old location is now a Sprint Store.

Not exactly the same because it changed locations Shoprite had a store in Zayre Plaza in Southington, Connecticut until 1991 or 1992. In November 2010 The Drust Family opened Shoprite at Southington Plaza in the old Shaw's location. The original Shoprite location is now a TJ MAXX.

Not exactly the same because it changed locations. JoAnn's was located in AMES Plaza in Southington until 2004. On February 2nd, 2014 they opened a in Shoprite Plaza in the former Bernie's. Their new location is nearly twice as big as their old one. A location in Bristol closed at the same time the Southington one was reopening. The original JoAnn's location is an expanded Dollar Tree.

In just a matter of 3 months Bristol, CT went from having 2 Ocean State Job Lot Stores to 0. The original location opened in 1993 in the former Sage Allen at the Mall at Bristol Centre. In November 2005 OSJL opened a second location in Bristol in the former Stop & Shop on Farmington Ave. They closed their location at the mall in October 2007 for the upcoming demolition of the mall. Then in January 2008 the closed their location in the former Stop & Shop. TJ MAXX moved their store into the former Job Lot in the old Stop & Shop. And Job Lot took over the old TJ MAXX Spot.

TheFugitive

Quote from: C3Nostalgia on September 03, 2009, 12:01:50 AM
The J.C. Penney at Washington Mall in Washington, Pa closed in February 2007 to move into The Foundry about a Mile down the road from the mall.  Then when it was discovered that The Foundry had foundation problems and the architect was in Chapter 11, all the tenants of The Foundry moved back out.  Penney's opened back up in it's former location in the Washington Mall  about a year and a half later in September 2008.  I think that for the time being, Penney's is the main reason the mall has not closed.

Penny's is now closing, and that mall will likely afterwards.
The Foundry was actually subsiding into an old mineshaft!

Hudsons81

The only one I know of is a Save-A-Lot on Fort Street (M-85) in Wyandotte, MI, which first opened in early 2002 and then closed either this past October or this past November. Afterwards, they reopened in the exact same storefront earlier this year.

jason83080

Kmart in Westlake: Built as a Kmart in the '80s, closed in 2005 for Sears Grand, closed again in 2012 for a new Kmart, and closed again this year for "redevelopment of the plaza," which equates to "Kmart doesn't want to renew the lease, so we're just going to close it and put the building up for lease."

Nothing else really jumps out at me for something that closed, reopened, and closed again, unless you want to count that brief period during the Giant Eagle/Rini-Rego merger when the smaller stores were 'rebranded' as Rini-Rego/Sparkle markets for about a year before being re-rebranded as Giant Eagle stores.

Then again, can't we count Ames as a store closing, reopening, and closing again?

mixedday

Boscov's in White Marsh Mall and Monmouth Mall closed when Boscov's closed a number of stores, but Boscovs re-opened just these two.