Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz86us

I remember the Caldor in Crossgates mall was 2 floors before it got converted into Bestbuy/H&M.. I bought comics at the one in Schenectady which i think became an Ames shortly after it was the plaza by the Home Depot.

Stork of The Weak

The Home Depot is now on the site of the former Caldor in Parkville, Maryland. It kills me that Home Depot decided to move the main entrance to the building to the opposite end from the Caldor entrance, but continue to use the Caldor entrance as a secondary entrance. They should have at least gotten rid of the Caldor facade (still instantly recognizable) to make the building look finished after the renovations. I guess part of the decision not to use the Caldor entrance had to do with the fact that the Home Depot name is too long to fit the Caldor facade without shrinking the letters too much?

thpdg123

I miss that location. Thank you for sharing!

Quote from: Caldor1999 on January 26, 2014, 12:59:06 AM
latham ny store when it opened in 1983

thpdg123

Quote from: Caldor1999 on January 11, 2014, 07:29:53 AM
Southington Connecticut taken in the early 1990's

Calder Department Store Southington Connecticut Circa 1990 before the chain closed, Creative Commons Attributiin by JeepersMedia, on Flickr

I think this is Farmington Ave in New Britain, based on the slant facade. Unless that was common?

ynkeesfn82

New Britain, Southington, and West Hartford all had it.

Caldor1999

Quote from: thpdg123 on April 03, 2014, 09:37:46 AM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on January 11, 2014, 07:29:53 AM
Southington Connecticut taken in the early 1990's

Calder Department Store Southington Connecticut Circa 1990 before the chain closed, Creative Commons Attributiin by JeepersMedia, on Flickr

I think this is Farmington Ave in New Britain, based on the slant facade. Unless that was common?

There were seven stores with this general design: 25 (New Britain), 26 (Derby), 27 (Saugus), 28 (Southington), 29 (West Hartford), 30 (Ramapo), and 31 (Nanuet). All were opened between late 1972 and early 1974.
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Caldor1999

Saugus MA caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Lastdaysofrain

That was MY Caldor, it's a Target now that I still frequent.

d_fife

Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 15, 2014, 11:20:24 PM
Saugus MA caldor

when was this taken and did they remodel it?

Stork of The Weak

Wow! The pharmacy sign at that Saugus store looks just like the Kmart pharmacy signs from the 90's (not sure if they came before or after the Big Kmart name change). What's up with that? I know of course this Caldor was built long before Kmart even had pharmacies at all in their stores. It seems Kmart copied this Caldor pharmacy font for ALL their department signs on the outside of their later new and remodeled stores!

ynkeesfn82

I didn't even know Caldor had pharmacies. We didn't have one at the store I shopped at growing up in Bristol, Connecticut. Southington and New Britain didn't have one either.

Did the one in Newington, Connecticut have one? They opened in '94. They were a bigger store and had a big carousel inside and a Nathan's Hotdog Place. Informally people referred to it as Super Caldor.

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on April 17, 2014, 12:08:40 PM
I didn't even know Caldor had pharmacies. We didn't have one at the store I shopped at growing up in Bristol, Connecticut. Southington and New Britain didn't have one either.

Did the one in Newington, Connecticut have one? They opened in '94. They were a bigger store and had a big carousel inside and a Nathan's Hotdog Place. Informally people referred to it as Super Caldor.

I don't believe any of the stores here in the Albany area had pharmacies either.  We did have at least one with Nathan's, though.

Actually, looking closer at the picture, is it possible that the pharmacy is a separate store?  There looks to be some kind of name to the left of the word pharmacy, plus the awning with what look like doors under it, which make it look like another store.

Caldor1999

And here it is the Caldor in Bedford Hills/Mount Kisco this was the one i use to go to all the time though this was before the massive renovation. Apprently there use to be a Supermarket next to it that closed 
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

And here it is in 1983. They added on the new logo in the 90's also both pics were posted by Peter Bleiberg on the former caldor employs group on fb
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Quote from: Marc B on April 17, 2014, 12:08:40 PM

The Newington had something called the Cafe court

Also some locations did have pharmacies mine did also the Stamford CT Caldor had one as well
Caldor Forever!

MikeRa

Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 18, 2014, 12:26:20 AM
And here it is in 1983. They added on the new logo in the 90's also both pics were posted by Peter Bleiberg on the former caldor employs group on fb

The Caldor that was located at Roosevelt Boulevard, below Comly Road, in Philadelphia, PA, opened with the 1983 logo.  It has since been demolished and replaced by a Target Greatland/Target
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

That Caldor in Philadelphia was also an Ames for a very short time in the early 2000s.

Caldor1999

Quote from: MikeRa on April 18, 2014, 07:19:39 PM
Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 18, 2014, 12:26:20 AM

The Caldor that was located at Roosevelt Boulevard, below Comly Road, in Philadelphia, PA, opened with the 1983 logo.  It has since been demolished and replaced by a Target Greatland/Target

the design used here was common on alot of their stores as you can see it was small when it opened and then expanded sometime between 1980-1983 they did do another renovation in the early 90's and added the new logo
Caldor Forever!

MikeRa

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 18, 2014, 11:36:00 PM
That Caldor in Philadelphia was also an Ames for a very short time in the early 2000s.
I know.  so was the Caldor in Bristol, PA.  that Caldor/Ames is now Walmart
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

Stork of The Weak

Quote from: MikeRa on April 19, 2014, 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 18, 2014, 11:36:00 PM
I know.  so was the Caldor in Bristol, PA.  that Caldor/Ames is now Walmart

If it hasn't become a new tenant yet (most likely it still is empty), I wonder if the former Super Fresh in Etters (south-central Pennsylvania) will be replaced by Ollie's Bargain Outlet. The Super Fresh next to the Bristol Caldor was identical to the one in Etters, and now is an Ollie's.

Caldor1999

Here is the caldor that was located in the  Fairfield Mall In Chicopee, MA

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

and here is the caldor in the crossgates mall in albany

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Waterbury CT
looks like this was taken shortly after it closed seeing as how the lights are still on
Caldor Forever!

ynkeesfn82

4 years ago this Caldor in Waterbury ^ was 100% occupied. Today it's only 1/3 occupied.  In 2010 it was Jump Zone, a relocated Bernie's (previously they were in KMART Plaza where Modell's is now), and Planet Fitness. Bernie's closed all their locations by March 2010. Jump Zone closed early in 2013.

Stork of The Weak

Not so sure about that Waterbury pic being soon after closing, seeing the graffiti.

Caldor1999

Caldor headquarters jan 1999

it has since become this
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

Here was the Waterbury CT store layout in 1998
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

And here is a distribution center off of I84 in Newburge NY
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

here is how the headquarters looked in 1981

Caldor Forever!

BillyGr

Quote from: Caldor1999 on April 30, 2014, 12:10:58 AM
here is how the headquarters looked in 1981

Looks like perhaps at one point it was a combination of offices and warehouse for them (maybe in the earlier days when the company would have been smaller and needed less space overall)? 
Only because that looks a lot like a loading dock with what would have been overhead doors at one point.