Main Menu

Caldor

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

1991 annual report

Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

JimSawhill

Quote from: Caldor1999 on June 15, 2013, 04:38:33 AM
1991 annual report

I wish I had that annual report -- and the annual report of Ames, Rich's and Bradlee's. bet they would be worth money to collectors.

standa

Doesn't this Today show logo look a lot like the Caldor rainbow?

(Image from from Today show website)

farmingtonvalleymall

Hey guys, A few years ago I accidentally spotted a Caldor store front in an old movie made in 1979. Pic below. I think its a lower Hudson Valley location??. I hope to make a video clip of the scene soon to see if anyone recognizes any of the locales.

ynkeesfn82

Anyone want to buy a Caldor Building? The one in New Britain, Connecticut is still empty 4 years after Walmart closed due to an overwhelming amount of employee theft. It can be yours for the low low price of $2.9 Million. It also includes a free-standing vacant bank. The Caldor/Walmart Building is approximately 84,000 Square Feet and the vacant bank is around 2,400 Square Feet. The property is reportedly 9 acres and is a mile or 2 from I-84 Exit 37.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on September 03, 2013, 08:19:38 AM
Anyone want to buy a Caldor Building? The one in New Britain, Connecticut is still empty 4 years after Walmart closed due to an overwhelming amount of employee theft. It can be yours for the low low price of $2.9 Million. It also includes a free-standing vacant bank. The Caldor/Walmart Building is approximately 84,000 Square Feet and the vacant bank is around 2,400 Square Feet. The property is reportedly 9 acres and is a mile or 2 from I-84 Exit 37.
I am surprised that Wal*Mart even moved into this former Caldor Store to begin with. In my area Wal*Mart demolished this former Clarkin's Carousel, Gold Circle, Hills, & Ames Department Store building just to build a new store. It broke my heart to see Wal*Mart have this building demolished in my area. It was the #1 former Gold Circle Department Store and the #1 former Hills Department Store that my mother took me to shop at while growing up as a little boy back in the 1980's/90's while at the same time was my all time favorite store to shop at with my mother as well as my local Kmart Store.

ynkeesfn82

Walmart had no choice to move into the old Caldor. In 1997 Walmart opened in the former Price Club building on Slater Road in New Britain. When Caldor on Farmington Avenue closed after Caldor closed all its stores Walmart bought the lease and was using the store for a warehouse and had numerous trailers kept on the property. People who lived in the Farmington Avenue area complained to the city that the property wasn't being kept up, etc, etc, etc. Lucian Pawlak who was Mayor of New Britain at the time gave Walmart an ultimatum - open a store in the Caldor Building or sell it. Walmart didn't want to sell it and risk the possibility of a competitor moving into it. In 03 or 04 Walmart moved from the 115,000 Square Foot Price Club Building to the tiny 84,000 Square Foot Caldor Building. I really believe if Walmart had remained on Slater Road it would still be open today. The Shrink wasn't as high there. Plus they would've been able to put in a large grocery section. Not being allowed to put in a larger grocery section and no room to expand the building were the other 2 reasons they closed in 2009. The city of New Britain forbade them from putting in a grocery section because they have an ordinance that 2 grocery stores can not be located side by side. In an adjacent, separately owned plaza there was an Adam's Superfood Store, which is now Aldis. That ordinance is also probably another reason they can't sell the building besides the high taxes in New Britain. A lot of people would like Shoprite to open a supermarket there (or the former Shaw's Supermarket on West Main Street). Today the old Price Club Building on Slater Road is owned by Webster Bank a bank based out of Waterbury, Connecticut and uses it for some sort of corporate training center complete with a company cafeteria.

Lastdaysofrain

Quote from: farmingtonvalleymall on September 02, 2013, 11:14:13 PM
Hey guys, A few years ago I accidentally spotted a Caldor store front in an old movie made in 1979. Pic below. I think its a lower Hudson Valley location??. I hope to make a video clip of the scene soon to see if anyone recognizes any of the locales.

What movie is this from?

Pikapower

Quote from: standa on August 04, 2013, 08:05:05 AM
Doesn't this Today show logo look a lot like the Caldor rainbow?

(Image from from Today show website)

??? They do look similar, but the Caldor "rainbow" has brown and the Today show logo doesn't!
I'm on Devianart: https://pikachuxash.deviantart.com/

Don't forget to check out the USA Store Fanon Wiki: https://usastorefanon.fandom.com/wiki/USA_Store_Fanon_Wikia

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: Marc B on September 04, 2013, 12:08:35 AM
Walmart had no choice to move into the old Caldor. In 1997 Walmart opened in the former Price Club building on Slater Road in New Britain. When Caldor on Farmington Avenue closed after Caldor closed all its stores Walmart bought the lease and was using the store for a warehouse and had numerous trailers kept on the property. People who lived in the Farmington Avenue area complained to the city that the property wasn't being kept up, etc, etc, etc. Lucian Pawlak who was Mayor of New Britain at the time gave Walmart an ultimatum - open a store in the Caldor Building or sell it. Walmart didn't want to sell it and risk the possibility of a competitor moving into it. In 03 or 04 Walmart moved from the 115,000 Square Foot Price Club Building to the tiny 84,000 Square Foot Caldor Building. I really believe if Walmart had remained on Slater Road it would still be open today. The Shrink wasn't as high there. Plus they would've been able to put in a large grocery section. Not being allowed to put in a larger grocery section and no room to expand the building were the other 2 reasons they closed in 2009. The city of New Britain forbade them from putting in a grocery section because they have an ordinance that 2 grocery stores can not be located side by side. In an adjacent, separately owned plaza there was an Adam's Superfood Store, which is now Aldis. That ordinance is also probably another reason they can't sell the building besides the high taxes in New Britain. A lot of people would like Shoprite to open a supermarket there (or the former Shaw's Supermarket on West Main Street). Today the old Price Club Building on Slater Road is owned by Webster Bank a bank based out of Waterbury, Connecticut and uses it for some sort of corporate training center complete with a company cafeteria.
Is the Wal*Mart that closed in 2009 the one that moved into this former Caldor location in 2003/04?

farmingtonvalleymall

Quote from: Lastdaysofrain on September 04, 2013, 10:22:34 AM
What movie is this from?

The movie is "Hot T-Shirts" copyrighted and submitted to the mpaa in 1979. So it was shot in 79 or possibly 78. It certainly looks to be New York but where? Here is the whole scene showing some various locations that someone may recognize. So which Caldor was this?

http://youtu.be/rL_7MOtGK28

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on September 04, 2013, 07:31:14 PM
Is the Wal*Mart that closed in 2009 the one that moved into this former Caldor location in 2003/04?

Yes and til the day that Caldor closed it sported the look seen in the picture of the Caldor on the previous page.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Caldor looked to be a pretty nice discount department store from the pictures that I have seen so far. It is too bad that we did not have any of them here in the state of Ohio.

ynkeesfn82

It was. I liked them better than Bradlee's. One of the Caldor's problems was they couldn't decided what type of store they wanted to be.  Sometimes they were a lower-class store. Sometimes they were higher-class. Sometimes they sold some frozen food. Sometimes they didn't.

jason83080

Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on September 05, 2013, 03:54:37 PM
Caldor looked to be a pretty nice discount department store from the pictures that I have seen so far. It is too bad that we did not have any of them here in the state of Ohio.

I thought there was one. I remember there being a Caldor financial center in North Ridgeville, OH in the late '90s. It's now a Marc's store, but could it have been an actual store location back in the day?

retailisking

I only went to one Caldor during its existence - the one in Bedford, NH. It struck me as being a slightly more upscale Rich's.

IGA/Kmart Is Forever!

Quote from: jason83080 on September 08, 2013, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: Kmart Is Forever! on September 05, 2013, 03:54:37 PM

I thought there was one. I remember there being a Caldor financial center in North Ridgeville, OH in the late '90s. It's now a Marc's store, but could it have been an actual store location back in the day?
I am not quite sure. I do live in Northeast Ohio, but at the same time I have never been to North Ridgeville.

Caldor1999

ok this caldor was ether located in rockland or westchester county if i had to take a guess this was ether the caldor in Peekskill or Nanuet NY i know the one in Nanuet had a simaler look to the one seen in the video before being rentovated. Also looks like most parts of this were shot near bear mountain also thats the bear mountain bridge in the begging of that video
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Lastdaysofrain

Quote from: farmingtonvalleymall on September 04, 2013, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Lastdaysofrain on September 04, 2013, 10:22:34 AM
What movie is this from?

The movie is "Hot T-Shirts" copyrighted and submitted to the mpaa in 1979. So it was shot in 79 or possibly 78. It certainly looks to be New York but where? Here is the whole scene showing some various locations that someone may recognize. So which Caldor was this?

http://youtu.be/rL_7MOtGK28

Ah! I knew it looked familiar, I actually do own a copy of that movie.

farmingtonvalleymall

Quote from: Caldor1999 on September 08, 2013, 10:54:45 PM
ok this caldor was ether located in rockland or westchester county if i had to take a guess this was ether the caldor in Peekskill or Nanuet NY i know the one in Nanuet had a simaler look to the one seen in the video before being rentovated. Also looks like most parts of this were shot near bear mountain also thats the bear mountain bridge in the begging of that video

Thanks, I knew that was a Hudson River bridge but I don't know them well. It seems other parts of the movie might be shot in Harrison as they show a school with a "Harrison College" sign. I think they added the sign for the movie and it may well be Harrison High School.

Caldor1999

Caldor Fairfield Mall in Chicopee MA

Unknown Location Notice the old caldor logo in white and nor orange

Caldor Forever!

bubcolbert1952

What's weird is that even though a number of former Caldor (and Bradlees) stores already became Walmart 10-13 years ago, Walmart just now is building a store on the former Caldor/Bradlees site in Trenton NJ, along with the former ShopRite and Drug Emporium stores next door. Also, the former Drug Emporium in Norristown PA (in a way a Trenton suburb) is in the process of becoming a Staples, even though what used to be the Drug Emporium in nearby Malvern PA already became a Staples back in 2004. The Norristown site was a "Horsatack" equestrian supply store for a number of years in between though.

Caldor1999

Caldor Forever!

MikeRa

Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on January 02, 2014, 06:17:56 PM
What's weird is that even though a number of former Caldor (and Bradlees) stores already became Walmart 10-13 years ago, Walmart just now is building a store on the former Caldor/Bradlees site in Trenton NJ, along with the former ShopRite and Drug Emporium stores next door. Also, the former Drug Emporium in Norristown PA (in a way a Trenton suburb) is in the process of becoming a Staples, even though what used to be the Drug Emporium in nearby Malvern PA already became a Staples back in 2004. The Norristown site was a "Horsatack" equestrian supply store for a number of years in between though.
Walmart is replacing their store at Franklin Mills (Itself a former Carrefour/Bradlees) with a brand new Supercenter (On the site of Ports Of The World/Boscov's/Steve & Barry's) inside Franklin Mills Mall.
"And I'm not missing a thing, watching the full moon crossing the range"

bubcolbert1952

Quote from: MikeRa on January 11, 2014, 05:23:48 PM
Quote from: bubcolbert1952 on January 02, 2014, 06:17:56 PM
Walmart is replacing their store at Franklin Mills (Itself a former Carrefour/Bradlees) with a brand new Supercenter (On the site of Ports Of The World/Boscov's/Steve & Barry's) inside Franklin Mills Mall.

Hey MikeRa, I would really appreciate if either you, EddieJ1984, or MBZ321 (all of whom live in the Northeast Philly area) could take a better picture of this store at Franklin Mills for me: http://mowheela.typepad.com/photos/stores/franklin-mills.html

Also, it might be illegal (though not really for any good reason at all) but I would really like to see an interior photo or two of this store. Someone told me it was HUGE for a state store and this was not that long ago. But I'm never up around Franklin Mills so I would appreciate photos to give me an idea of the true size.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Caldor1999 on January 11, 2014, 07:29:53 AM
Southington Connecticut taken in the early 1990's

Calder Department Store Southington Connecticut Circa 1990 before the chain closed, Creative Commons Attributiin by JeepersMedia, on Flickr

That Caldor looked like the Caldor's (former Star's) store in West Hartford.

d_fife

its getting to 15 yrs since Caldor announced closings.

what killed CAldor? they NEVER emerged! and what did that mean of suppliers cutting them off early JAnuary 1999.

ynkeesfn82

After a 5 or 6 year run as a Walmart, the former Caldor in New Britain, Connecticut remains 100% empty 4 1/2 years after Walmart called it quits in that location. The entire property which also includes a former free-standing bank branch is for sale for $2.9 million.

http://www.cityfeet.com/cont/ForSale/LN17974646/643-Farmington-Avenue-New-Britain-CT-06053

The former Caldor in Waterbury is 2/3's vacant. Not too long ago it was completely full. It was divided into a Jump Zone (an indoor bounce house), Bernie's, and Planet Fitness. Bernie's closed in 2010 when the whole chain went under. And Jump Zone closed last spring.

http://newenglandretail.com/properties.cfm?cmd=show1&ID=238

Caldor1999

another location i believe this was a store located in jersey cant remember the name of the mall though

Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

latham ny store when it opened in 1983
Caldor Forever!