Wegmans

Started by amesman, May 01, 2005, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimSawhill

Quote from: zonemad96 on April 08, 2012, 01:22:04 AM
i personally dislike wegmans they dont carry most of the products i buy and they seem to be overrated

OVERRATED??? How can you say that??

JimSawhill

Quote from: zonemad96 on April 08, 2012, 01:22:04 AM
i personally dislike wegmans they dont carry most of the products i buy and they seem to be overrated

You must the one of the few who does!! Most people love Wegman's..

retailisking

Third Wegmans in the Bay State to begin construction (Northborough is open; construction at Chestnut Hill is already underway)
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2012/10/wegmans-to-break-ground-in-burlington.html

retailisking

The expansion of Wegmans into Massachusetts has raised eyebrows, not only at competitors, but also with industry observers who wondered if they were stretching themselves too thin. Here is an indication that might indicate that they have a point: Wegmans is shutting down its very popular Northborough, MA Facebook page because they simply don't have enough staffing to keep on top of it:

http://northborough.patch.com/articles/wegmans-gets-nearly-7-500-fb-fans-closing-fb-page

JimSawhill

Quote from: zonemad96 on January 29, 2013, 06:11:50 PM
I don't know to me they just seem overpriced and don't carry a lot of the products I buy at least they didn't the last time I was in their. Also i dislike the fact they have like 6 different restaurants inside the store they have their own pizza, chinese food, sushi and all at like 7 dollars a pound. Its just greedy to me it affects local restaurants who sell this things and specialize in just those things.

Price Chopper and Big Y have food Courts... so does Shaw's.

store215

I don't think the closing of a Facebook page is that big of indicator..It was obviously made as more of a promotional tool, since Wegmans was new to the area. Now that they've been there a while, people can just go to their main Facebook page.

I used to work at Wegmans a couple years ago, and I wondered then if they were starting to become too big. Retail and management wise, it was as poorly run as any retail store. A lot of favoritism, a lot of waste, and stupid decisions in general (And from people that I know that still work at this store, it has become worse).

Price wise, they are awesome despite their expensive appearance. Regular grocery items are cheaper than any other chain in this area (ShopRite, Giant, etc.). Even their health and beauty items are comparable to Walmart. They were a big reason (IMO) why Safeway gave up on Genuardi's in PA/NJ.. When you get into the fancier items, it of course gets more expensive. The Food Court is also extensive and good (except for the Chinese food..blargh), but the stuff on the "per lb." bars are very expensive. (The salad bar at Wegmans is almost $7 a LB..$4.99/lb at Giant across the street (apparently mostly every other Giant is $5.99/lb though), and they look about the same if you are looking to make just a salad.

JimSawhill

Does anyone think Wegman's will expand in CT?

Joeg

RoleModel

Quote from: JimSawhill on February 27, 2013, 12:50:28 PM

Realistically, they'd make mucho bucks putting it in SW Connecticut, but I'm not sure they'd open a store there if they're not going to bother with Westchester, Rockland, LI, etc...

JimSawhill

Quote from: RoleModel on March 03, 2013, 11:05:50 PM
Quote from: JimSawhill on February 27, 2013, 12:50:28 PM

Realistically, they'd make mucho bucks putting it in SW Connecticut, but I'm not sure they'd open a store there if they're not going to bother with Westchester, Rockland, LI, etc...

Who is the market leader in SW CT and Westchester County, NY?

Joeg

In SW CT it has got to be Stop and Shop.  In Westchester County NY, maybe Stop and Shop again.

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on March 08, 2013, 04:23:56 PM
In SW CT it has got to be Stop and Shop.  In Westchester County NY, maybe Stop and Shop again.

Wegman's could beat stop & Shop....Wegman's please come to CT

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on March 25, 2013, 04:23:02 PM
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/03/25/wegmans-close-deal-open-first-boston-store-fenway-landmark-center/jdrOsMuukKFh3Xr5nOr3TP/story.html

Two brash fallout predictions from this:
1: The Fenway Shaw's right down the street is as good as dead.
2: Everyone mentions Whole Foods being competition but the real chain to get hurt with Wegmans expansion in the Boston area is Roche Bros. They're already taking it on the chin with the upcoming Burlington and Chestnut Hill locations and they've fought Wegmans over the on-again, off-again Westwood location. The next few years may be interesting for them to see if they adapt or end up being bought out by someone else.

ynkeesfn82

Maybe Wegman's will buy out Shaw's sponsorship of The WEEI Redsox Radio Network. I'm not a Sox fan, but on occasion when trying to listen to something on WTIC (the Sox affiliate here in greater Hartford) I've caught parts of the game and have heard them say something to the effect of "The Shaw's Supermarket WEEI Redsox Radio Network."

retailisking

An intriguing idea for a supermarket chain looking to ingratiate itself with Boston-area shoppers, but the Sox radio network has affiliates in all six New England states while Wegmans only has a presence in one. That may eventually change, of course, but Wegmans is relatively conservative in terms of the rate of expansion. If any other supermarket chain takes over the sponsorship more likely choices would be Hannaford or Market Basket, the latter of which is growing aggressively and already draws customers from states they do not already operate in.

Scrabbleship

Quote from: retailisking on March 26, 2013, 03:01:00 AM
An intriguing idea for a supermarket chain looking to ingratiate itself with Boston-area shoppers, but the Sox radio network has affiliates in all six New England states while Wegmans only has a presence in one. That may eventually change, of course, but Wegmans is relatively conservative in terms of the rate of expansion. If any other supermarket chain takes over the sponsorship more likely choices would be Hannaford or Market Basket, the latter of which is growing aggressively and already draws customers from states they do not already operate in.

I'd put Stop & Shop - official supermarket of the Red Sox - above any of them. Remember, while Shaw's sponsors the network itself one of the network's bigger advertisers is C&S (as "IGA/Best Yet").

retailisking

Agreed on Stop & Shop, as they at least operate in four out of the six New England states (they closed their single location in Maine and never opened the single store they built in Vermont.) Giant Glass doesn't seem to care about having its ads air across the entire network even though they have only five locations, all of them in Massachusetts.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on March 26, 2013, 09:29:11 PM
Agreed on Stop & Shop, as they at least operate in four out of the six New England states (they closed their single location in Maine and never opened the single store they built in Vermont.) Giant Glass doesn't seem to care about having its ads air across the entire network even though they have only five locations, all of them in Massachusetts.

Stop & Shop built a store in VT they never opened?? Where is it?? What is it now? Where was the ME location...and what is it now??

Joeg

VT:  Rutland
ME: Kenibuckport(sic) now a Hannaford, Rutland also a Hannaford

JimSawhill

Quote from: Joeg on March 28, 2013, 02:49:30 PM
VT:  Rutland
ME: Kenibuckport(sic) now a Hannaford, Rutland also a Hannaford

Why did they never open the VT store? How long was the Maine store open??

retailisking

The Maine store opened in June of 2007 and closed in October of 2009. They also nixed plans to open a location in Portland. The Vermont store never opened as Stop & Shop changed their minds about expanding into Vermont.

JimSawhill

Quote from: retailisking on April 01, 2013, 11:17:00 PM
The Maine store opened in June of 2007 and closed in October of 2009. They also nixed plans to open a location in Portland. The Vermont store never opened as Stop & Shop changed their minds about expanding into Vermont.

Thanks

zonemad96

Quote from: Scrabbleship on March 26, 2013, 05:44:05 PM
Quote from: retailisking on March 26, 2013, 03:01:00 AM

I'd put Stop & Shop - official supermarket of the Red Sox - above any of them. Remember, while Shaw's sponsors the network itself one of the network's bigger advertisers is C&S (as "IGA/Best Yet").

Damn, Best Yet, thats a name I haven't heard in awhile. Here in maryland we have lots of "family owned" stores all of which carrying one generic off brand selection of products. Best Yet used to be the generic products sold it all family owned stores in the maryland area into the early to mid 2000's when they all switched over to Shurfine. I just assumed they had switched names I had no idea Best Yet still existed.

ynkeesfn82

retailisking

I wonder if they will ever enter the Albany-Schenectady-Troy market. They seem to get passed over every time.

RoleModel

Quote from: retailisking on May 13, 2015, 02:42:14 AM
I wonder if they will ever enter the Albany-Schenectady-Troy market. They seem to get passed over every time.

There's way way way more money in NYC/LI, even if it costs more to get their foot in the door. I wouldn't really expect anything until they expand their presence in LI, the Hudson Valley and CT.

JoshAustin610

I wouldn't be surprised if that Brooklyn Navy Yard property is the most expensive they've ever spent money on, but once the store opens it'll be worth it.