Wegmans

Started by amesman, May 01, 2005, 11:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Genuardi's are also getting bigger then they were say 10 years ago. Its pretty much because of Safeway.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Genuardi's are also getting bigger then they were say 10 years ago. Its pretty much because of Safeway.

Actually, I will have to disagree with you there. Safeway has added no stores to the Genuardi's chain since they bought it around 2001.

One Genuardis store closed only few weeks ago in Bensalem and was quickly converted into a Shop Rite.

I believe they do have a new store opening somewhere in late October...this will be the first store that I know of, that would be built/opened under Safeway's ownership.

I believe a few Genuardi's in Delaware were actually changed to the Safeway banner.

Safeway has really added nothing to Genuardi's. (besides really awful prices) Things like their Food Court, Sushi bars, etc...was all created by the Genuardi family. All of their stores were all remodeled or newly built when Safeway bought them, so Safeway didn't have to do much of anything.

The only thing they have added recently is Online shopping/grocery dilevery.

And by talking to people and other message boards, many people say Safeway runs very awful old, dirty, and overpriced stores in the places that they are most present (California, Maryland, Arizona, etc...) with the same awful pricing scheme they added to Genuardi's. (I think they have been adding parts of Genuardi's in their other stores though like Food Courts)

I hope Genuardi's is getting ready to compete with Wegman's, as they will be having a run for it's money.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

Actually, I will have to disagree with you there. Safeway has added no stores to the Genuardi's chain since they bought it around 2001.

One Genuardis store closed only few weeks ago in Bensalem and was quickly converted into a Shop Rite.

I believe they do have a new store opening somewhere in late October...this will be the first store that I know of, that would be built/opened under Safeway's ownership.

I believe a few Genuardi's in Delaware were actually changed to the Safeway banner.

Safeway has really added nothing to Genuardi's. (besides really awful prices) Things like their Food Court, Sushi bars, etc...was all created by the Genuardi family. All of their stores were all remodeled or newly built when Safeway bought them, so Safeway didn't have to do much of anything.

And by talking to people and other message boards, many people say Safeway runs very awful old, dirty, and overpriced stores in the places that they are most present (California, Maryland, Arizona, etc...) with the same awful pricing scheme they added to Genuardi's. (I think they have been adding parts of Genuardi's in their other stores though like Food Courts)

I hope Genuardi's is getting ready to compete with Wegman's, as they will be having a run for it's money.

What about the Warrington Pa location and the Roslyn Pa. location? They opened when Safeway owned Genuardi's.

store215

What about the Warrington Pa location and the Roslyn Pa. location? They opened when Safeway owned Genuardi's.

They opened under Safeway's ownership, but it was the Genaurdi family who leased the land, hired the builders, etc... I think they were both already under construction when Safeway bought the chain.  (Both these stores still have the "Family Markets" phrase on the carts, signs, etc...which was phased out when Safeway took over. I don't know about the Roslyn store though, but I am guessing the lease and everything was the work of the Genuardi family and not Safeway. (When did that store open?)

shakethis1234

They just opened a 130,000 sf store in Maryland

storehistoryguy

Heres a picture of an old Wegman's once somewhere in New York.

http://www.hawksmom.com/NewYork2002/12.html

storehistoryguy

Wegman's Produce. Looks nice! ;)

Anonymous

Does anyone know what the Downingtown, PA, Wegmans used to be? It opened in about 2003, but I have no idea what it was before or how long the space was vacant.

Anonymous

MBZ321, the West Chester, PA, location was originally opened while Genuardi's was still an independent company, but it was relocated under Safeway. Anyway, you mentioned that certain Genuardi's locations in Delaware were rebranded to Safeway. Does that include any in Wilmington? There was one in Wilmington that was the only one I have ever seen converted.

d_fife

I was told their stores are expensive. ARe their stores only in western new york. I hear their stores are big.

katnapped

Wegman's is starting to expand into central PA.  A new store in Mechanicsburg is supposed to open sometime next year (2007), and I'd expect they'll try to find a location on the east shore (Harrisburg area) as well.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
I was told their stores are expensive. ARe their stores only in western new york. I hear their stores are big.

The farthest East in NY I have seen them are in Syracuse. There are quite a few locations there. Rumor was that there was one coming to the Utica area, and that there were officials in the area scoping things out. Of course, they could have been checking out the Tops stores that were for sale.

The stores I have been in are very impressive. I love going into other Supermarkets and checking them out. I would say that Wegman's is by far my favorite one outside of the one that I work for.

Anonymous

Wegmans took over many former Hechinger stores, including the one in Downingtown, PA.

StarSage

I grew up shopping at the local P&C (Producers and Consumers) grocery in Riverside, New York when round about my teen years along came the big and beautiful Wegmans on nearby Bridge Street in Corning.

Although most of my friends and their families shopped at the new store my folks stayed loyal to P&C. They claimed that the prices there were fairer and that they supported the local farmers.

I loved Wegmans though.. I remember being amazed that I could rent Super Nintendo games there.

On a separate note, I read recently that Wegmans' Chase Pitkin (Upstate NY alternative to Home Depot/Lowe's) has filed bankruptcy and has or will be closing all stores.

amesman

Night shot of the Wegmans on Taft Road in Syracuse.

d_fife

here is wegman's in liverpool ny

shakethis1234

new wegmans is opening up next to the liverpool one the old store open in 1968

store215

I just got a job at Wegmans! :bouncing:

powersbt

Keep me informed about what it's like to work for them. Rumored that they were coming to my area, a couple of years ago. I said that if they did, I would apply there. By far, the most impressive Stores I have seen in our area.

I just got a job at Wegmans! :bouncing:

store215

The store doesnt actually open until October, but I begin training this week. I'll keep all of you informed. Let's just say my wage is well above any grocery and retail store in the area---plus the possibly of raises from there

powersbt

Really....you're already training?? When the new Hannafords opened in my area, we didn't see most of the trainees until 1-1 1/2 months before the store opened.At least your training should be thorough.

Plus, that's the other thing. You gotta keep your wages competitive. I'm sure they have the advantage over other stores in that area. When I started, I was just above Minimum wage, and since then have gone quite a ways up the payscale.

The store doesnt actually open until October, but I begin training this week. I'll keep all of you informed. Let's just say my wage is well above any grocery and retail store in the area---plus the possibly of raises from there

d_fife

here is a wegmans in depew ny (near cheektowaga ny) and it looks like a newer wegmans

d_fife

here is an old school wegmans in rochester ny in downtown. I SAW WAY WAY TOO MANY WEGMANS IN ROCHESTER NY AREA AND SAW THEIR HQ in a suburb.

d_fife

here is an old school wegmans in rochester ny in downtown. I SAW WAY WAY TOO MANY WEGMANS IN ROCHESTER NY AREA AND SAW THEIR HQ in a suburb.

another of that wegmans in downtown rochester ny

d_fife

wegmans in henrietta ny (near rochester) on henrietta rd on the eastern side of the shopping area and it was not far from another wegmans

d_fife

wegmans in henrietta ny (near rochester) on henrietta rd on the eastern side of the shopping area and it was not far from another wegmans

more of that wegmans in henrietta rd in ny

d_fife

wegmans in fairport ny (near rochester) and it looks old school.

d_fife

wegmans in fairport ny (near rochester) and it looks old school.

fairport ny