Grand Union

Started by Retail Regents, March 25, 2022, 08:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Regents

As of 2022, C&S has brought back the Grand Union name as a result of Tops/Price Chopper merger, which resulted in 12 (11 stores were converted to GU) Tops stores being divested. Four of which (Warrensburg, Saranac Lake, and Peru in New York, and Rutland in Vermont) were Grand Union stores previously, so these are now Grand Union for the second and even third time!

Visited the one in Warrensburg, and it bears the early 2010s Tops decor with Grand Union branding. It appears that C&S wants to gauge the performance of these stores before investing any more money in them.

BillyGr

And of course the 12th one reopened as a... Piggly Wiggly!

Not a name that has been seen in NY (or, likely most any area around that) before.

DefunctStoreKing

let's hope they bring back the grand union brand
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

http://tazsnewforums.proboards37.com/index.cgi
Everyone Can Join My Message Board

Defunct Store Yahoogroup Maker Since 2007

Randy Amasia (October 9, 1957-December 12, 2001)

David Zinkin (November 19, 1970-August 13, 2008)

http://classix.110mb.com
My Webpage

BillyGr

Quote from: DefunctStoreKing on April 21, 2022, 05:34:41 PMlet's hope they bring back the grand union brand

Not likely, given that they didn't even continue to use that brand when they had stores before (after the bankruptcy, before those were sold to Tops), just used Best Yet or other store brand labels they have access to.

Retail Regents

Saranac Lake (boy did they screw up the horizontal signage!). Also the store still has magic carpet despite having sensors above the doors.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

BillyGr

Quote from: Retail Regents on July 02, 2022, 06:03:21 PMSaranac Lake (boy did they screw up the horizontal signage!). Also the store still has magic carpet despite having sensors above the doors.

Never could quite figure out how Tops kept that store over the one in the shopping plaza not that far up the road, but then again...

Am I correct thinking that is the old A&P building hiding in the corner (I know they are pretty close)?

Retail Regents

Quote from: BillyGr on July 03, 2022, 02:35:31 PM
Quote from: Retail Regents on July 02, 2022, 06:03:21 PMSaranac Lake (boy did they screw up the horizontal signage!). Also the store still has magic carpet despite having sensors above the doors.

Never could quite figure out how Tops kept that store over the one in the shopping plaza not that far up the road, but then again...

Am I correct thinking that is the old A&P building hiding in the corner (I know they are pretty close)?

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that on the Essex County side there is an ALDI (which at the time was building a bigger replacement store) across the street? I do not believe the Franklin County side has any other significant grocery competition, so perhaps that is the reason this store has staying power? It was also supposed to have an exterior remodel around that time which never came to fruition.

The building in the background is not the A&P; rather it is an optometrist's office. The A&P was across the street from that building. Both are roughly a block south.

Retail Regents

Also, when I was looking at extras from my Sherrill set, take note of the cheese signs. Those are of the original red dot logo!