Main Menu

Shopko

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailfan

My guess is you wont see them expand  much east as Meijers is in Indiana Michigan and Ohio  Unless the merged someday
Pamidia though does have stores in Indiana but i have never visited any

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

I went shopping at this ShopKo location last Friday, and I thought I would like to share this store with you guys. It is located on 216 S Military Avenue, in Green Bay, Wisconsin. The store is neatly organized, has a pharmacy and optical center, and Payless ShoeSource, as well as additional parking at the back of the building, along with a rear entrance. I know ShopKo has updated their logo, but this one still has the 1991 "Vision 2000" logo, and layout. The store opened in 1962, has an unusual L-shaped floorplan, and also had a Sure Way (later Jubilee Foods) grocery store attached to it (to the right), which closed in 2004 when Jubilee's parent company went bankrupt. I have included some photos I took last January, of the store exterior and sign.

Front:

Back:

Sign:

Former appearance (courtesy of Flickr user Dr. Geektarded):

BONUS! A receipt from my shopping trip at this exact location last Friday (scanned by me):

Check out those purchases!

I hope you guys enjoyed this. ;)

Brenton81

Cool.  I've never been to any of the Green Bay stores.  I checked out Sussex on grand opening day last year.  It's a nice store.  I currently work at 027.

ShopKo Store #001 and its historical marker, found on one of the walls in the front entrance.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
Shopko has a new logo as of 2007.
Picture below.
SHOPKO "My Life, My Style, My Store."
Now that is a nice slogan for a store and makes me want to stop and check it out.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
If I was to visit a couple of SHOPKO stores. What would be the 2 locations that hold the most vintage or traditional feel to them in layout, graphics, color scheme and so on?
1. ShopKo store #1 - 216 S. Military Avenue, Green Bay, WI
2. ShopKo store #4 - 2430 E. Mason Street, Green Bay, WI (next to East Town Mall)
If I was to visit a couple of SHOPKO stores. What would be the 3 locations that are the newest, largest, most unique feel to them in layout, graphics, color scheme and so on?
1. Shopko - 2320 Lineville Road, Suamico, WI
2. Shopko store #5 - 301 Bay Park Square, Ashwaubenon, WI (Bay Park Square Mall anchor)
3. Shopko store #15 - 1000 Northland Avenue, Appleton, WI (Northland Mall Anchor)

Thanks for your help!

dmx10101

looks kinda like a target
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

gu4ever

Those pictures are great of the Meridian prototype store.
They have a substantial furniture department and some excellent graphics through out.

gu4ever

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan
QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
If I was to visit a couple of SHOPKO stores. What would be the 2 locations that hold the most vintage or traditional feel to them in layout, graphics, color scheme and so on?
1. ShopKo store #1 - 216 S. Military Avenue, Green Bay, WI
2. ShopKo store #4 - 2430 E. Mason Street, Green Bay, WI (next to East Town Mall)
If I was to visit a couple of SHOPKO stores. What would be the 3 locations that are the newest, largest, most unique feel to them in layout, graphics, color scheme and so on?
1. Shopko - 2320 Lineville Road, Suamico, WI
2. Shopko store #5 - 301 Bay Park Square, Ashwaubenon, WI (Bay Park Square Mall anchor)
3. Shopko store #15 - 1000 Northland Avenue, Appleton, WI (Northland Mall Anchor)

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the input ShopKoFan, I'm excited to make plans to travel out to this area of the country in 2010. It's always great to have places to see while I'm there!
:)

ameskmart1

Yakima, WA (Taken 12/2008)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Livingston, MT (Taken 7/2006)
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

Shopko store #002 (Holmgren Way entrance) - Bay Park Square Mall anchor, Green Bay, WI
This location is the closest location to Shopko corporate HQ, which happens to be across the street, on the Pilgrim Way side!

Lyrics:

I'm bringing ShopKo back.
Them other stores don't know how to act.
Our specials make up for the sales you lack.
ShopKo's the best, and you know that's a fact.
(Take 'em to the bridge!)

Come and take, you see these specials, baby, aren't they great?
Walk the store, and see what deals await...
It's just so good that you will stay the day!
(Take 'em to the course!)

Come and shop!
(Come in, spend money!)
More in the back!
(Come in, spend money!)
DXG!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's almost free.
(Come in, spend money!)
Let's see what you're paying with.
(Come in, spend money!)
Give me some tips!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's on this aisle.
(Come in, spend money!)
Just got wild!
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.

Sam Walton doesn't know how to act.
Your ape-lore proroducts are completely whack.
ShopKo's service is first and yours is last.
(Take 'em to the bridge!)

Come and take, you see these specials, baby, aren't they great?
Walk the store, and see what deals await...
It's just so good that you will stay the day!

Come and shop!
(Come in, spend money!)
More in the back!
(Come in, spend money!)
DXG!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's almost free.
(Come in, spend money!)
(Come in, spend money!)
Give me some tips!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's on this aisle.
(Come in, spend money!)
Just got wild!
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.

(YEAH!)
Those Kmart guys doesn't know how to act.
(YEAH!)
Your "Blue Light Specials" don't mean Jack.
(YEAH!)
Now ShopKo is brought back, and that's a fact.
(YEAH!)

Come and shop!
(Come in, spend money!)
More in the back!
(Come in, spend money!)
DXG!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's almost free.
(Come in, spend money!)
(Come in, spend money!)
Give me some tips!
(Come in, spend money!)
It's on this aisle.
(Come in, spend money!)
Just got wild!
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)

Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out.
(Come in, spend money!)
Get your debit out...

~~~~~~

The MP3 is available on DJ Plano's MySpace page.

Brenton81

I spent some time down in Peoria working at store 178 which was built with that design.  It was very nice inside.  Too bad they closed it.

More pictures of ShopKo store #001 from the 1970s courtesy of Dr. Geektarded at Flickr.

More ShopKo pictures courtesy of John Gallo of the Stores Forever blog.

The former ShopKo location at Westfair Mall in West Bend, Wisconsin. This store has relocated.

The ShopKo store at the Westgate Mall in Racine, Wisconsin, in the 1980s. This ShopKo was built on the site of a former Turn Style location and movie theater.

Here's the same exact store, in the 1990s.

The mall entrance to the same exact store.

The ShopKo/Westgate Mall sign.

gu4ever

Those vintage photo's are great, what an awesome store!!
I like the slogan on the wall that says, ShopKo...  Discount the price..... not the quality.

Brenton81

The Racine store was actually built from the ground up.  Turn-Style was located further north, where the parking lot is.  ShopKo itself actually sits on the site of an old drive-in theater.  We also got the brown scheme paint job and new logo on the exterior this summer, so we're no longer gray.  

The mall entrance was sealed up in 2007 and the section of Westgate Mall directly off the store is now closed.  Another portion of the mall has been converted to a strip mall format, with store entrances on the outside.  The company that owns the place is barely breaking even, so there aren't any major plans for Westgate right now.

We are about to get a new look on our ShopKo store on Green Bay's east side (store #4, built in 1988). I saw the newly painted exterior, and I knew that it would wind up looking like the location in Billings, Montana, tan, with the new logo over the trapezoidal dual entrance vestibule, common on most ShopKo prototype stores built between 1986 and 1990 during the late '80s expansion period, when ShopKo opened new stores with the new look and layout, including the first and only location in California, in the city of Redding. These were ShopKo's larger stores. Here's a rendering of that store design that I made with Microsoft Paint and uploaded to Flickr:

Here's a single entrance variant of the vestibule in Brigham City, Utah, courtesy of Google street view:
<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,125.81,,0,7.88&amp;cbll=41.495131,-112.016028&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=shopko+logan+ut&amp;sll=41.494981,-112.015021&amp;sspn=0.001372,0.002411&amp;gl=us&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=shopko&amp;hnear=Logan,+UT&amp;ll=41.756058,-111.834404&amp;spn=0.037411,0.006295&amp;t=h&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.495131,-112.016028&amp;panoid=bU6TqJdvKsc8PKU_odQSDg&amp;cbp=12,125.81,,0,7.88" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
A closeup of the same store:
<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,42.24,,0,-11.52&amp;cbll=41.494787,-112.01502&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=shopko+logan+ut&amp;sll=41.494981,-112.015021&amp;sspn=0.001372,0.002411&amp;gl=us&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=shopko&amp;hnear=Logan,+UT&amp;ll=41.756058,-111.834404&amp;spn=0.037411,0.006295&amp;t=h&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.494787,-112.01502&amp;panoid=27aWHc3iglLE4A4YGFrzTQ&amp;cbp=12,42.24,,0,-11.52" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Here's the store that inspired the picture above, this one located on Green Bay's east side, located between East Town Mall and ALDI:

Here's what the stores used to look like in the 1980s (the Eugene, Oregon store, and this unknown store with orange trim, stands in as examples) when they opened:

Here's what most of them will look like in the future (this store in Missoula, Montana is an example):

Brenton81

Grafton still had the old red logo at least until 2000 / 2001.  

There were three ShopKo locations in Colorado from 1993 until 2005. They were located in Fort Collins, Longmont, and Loveland. The Longmont and Fort Collins ShopKo locations became JCPenney locations. The Loveland location remains largely vacant, although the building has been divided into smaller storefronts and still retains the much of the "ShopKo" style.

Here's what they all looked like (this River Falls, Wisconsin location stands in as an example) when they were all ShopKo stores:

The JCPenney in Longmont, Colorado still has much of its ShopKo architecture intact, although it has been painted over with earth tones:

Brenton81

From what I've heard, the original Neenah, WI location is now a Goodwill Store.

From Photobucket user, StoreWest, the person behind the Meridian, Idaho store photos, are photos for ShopKo's only California store, located in the city of Redding on 55 Lake Boulevard. This store opened in 1990, was remodeled in circa. 1995, 1999, and 2003, and has gotten its third sign to reflect their new logo, which takes emphasis off of "Ko." The building design used here is one of the most common designs, featuring two entrances, used by the chain from 1986 to 1990. Here are the pictures:

Exterior:

Interior:

I do see a future for ShopKo, if they become an "upscale niche discounter," rather than the conventional "big box" store like Walmart or Target. I hope for them to expand into new regions in the future and to buy out some ailing regional discounters along the way. It would be even better if they decided to buy out or merge with the Meijer hypermarkets or the Costco membership warehouses, but remain separate divisions of the larger company like Arby's and Wendy's or Kmart and Sears when they joined forces, and share products and ideas.

I think we should split Shopko/Shopko Express Rx and the Pamida Stores into separate topics and close this one, since Shopko and Pamida became separate companies. Who's with me?

Here's a few existing Shopko locations built in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, that have adopted the new SHOPKO logo:

Redding, California:

Manitowoc, Wisconsin:

Missoula, Montana:

Mankato, Minnesota:

Eugene, Oregon:

Billings, Montana:

Escanaba, Michigan - Delta Plaza Mall (mall entrance):

Ashwaubenon (Green Bay), Wisconsin - Bay Park Square Mall:

Logan, Utah:

Why hasn't anyone commented on this yet?! It's a nice store.

Ameskid

It is a VERY nice store.  It looks like a SteinMart (if you don't know what that is, think really nice TJ Maxx) combined with a bigg's (very nice grocery store).
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

ameskmart1

I was here six years ago and it sure looks a lot better (last time I was here it still had the old orange pre-1992 logo)