Main Menu

Shopko

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1
East Peoria, IL

That ShopKo store looks like it began its life as a Wal-Mart Discount City in the mid 1980s.

CTAmeshopper

ahhhhhh.. that's better.

:bigsmile:

Marc82

They were playing a XMAS Song Parody on 102.9 The Big D in Hartford, CT this afternoon called "Rusted Chevrolet" and one of the lyrics in the song goes "I've gotta get to ShopKo to pick up my layaway."

wiseguy93

This Pamida is located in Cross County Plaza.

I have group on Flickr for ShopKo Stores, if anyone is interested in seeing it. :) If you want to submit some photos or just join my group, I'd be more than welcome to let you.

videogamer75

I would join but they dont have any ShopKos in New Jersey.

The ShopKo store in Eugene, Oregon

The ShopKo store in Mankato, Minnesota

The ShopKo store in Redding, California

The ShopKo store in Helena, Montana

ameskmart1

QuoteOriginally posted by ShopKoFan

This store closed in 2007
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

QuoteOriginally posted by ameskmart1

This store closed in 2007

That's unfortunate. At least it's been immortalized in a photograph.

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,262.27883663699066,,0,-14.456279624261695&amp;cbll=44.528389,-88.060795&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=shopko,+green+bay,+wi&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=48.555061,79.101563&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=44.537999,-88.056965&amp;spn=0,359.990344&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=A&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=44.528389,-88.060795&amp;panoid=F9sfz49dQ1pkE_FvedCaUw&amp;cbp=12,262.27883663699066,,0,-14.456279624261695&amp;cid=44528066,-88061192,16089630074888875560" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></large>
ShopKo Store #1, Green Bay, Wisconsin

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,345.44169915359737,,0,5&amp;cbll=44.287221,-88.421186&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=shopko+green+bay,+wi&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=48.555061,79.101563&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;start=10&amp;ll=44.297439,-88.417025&amp;spn=0,359.961376&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=A&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=44.287221,-88.421186&amp;panoid=007PmF870uKH4LZhXjwVpA&amp;cbp=12,345.44169915359737,,0,5&amp;cid=44287495,-88421266,6493383414885078922" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
ShopKo Store #15, Northland Mall, Appleton, Wisconsin

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,231.76095764261018,,0,5&amp;cbll=41.232726,-96.140006&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl=us"></iframe>
<small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=shopko+lincoln,+ne&amp;sll=44.288039,-88.413334&amp;sspn=0,359.961376&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=41.274194,-96.123161&amp;spn=0,359.69101&amp;z=12&amp;iwloc=A&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.232726,-96.140006&amp;panoid=CvXmWCk5u4tc6NQNfThJBg&amp;cbp=12,231.76095764261018,,0,5&amp;cid=41232408,-96140019,4356344005506223096" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>
ShopKo Store, Center Road, Lincoln, Nebraska

I started a blog on ShopKo's history at my blog known as "BlogKo." Check it out if you want to learn more about ShopKo!

captjack

We have had SkopKo in Utah for about 15-20 years(?) They were clean nice stores that had all night shopping for several years during the Christmas Shopping Season. When my kids were young, I would pick up my wife from work at 11 PM stop at ShopKo shop and put our Christmas on layaway and then drive home. We had until the 20th to pick the layaway up! Yipee!
We stopped that practice when a Walmart came to Toolee, some 40 miles west over the mountains from our home because we heard fo the great prices and a layaway plan. We shopped at walmart for 6 years after that because the ShopKo changed their layaway program so that you had to have everything off layaway by the 10th of December - I get paid on the 5th and the 20th. No way I am not paying my house payment to pick the layaway!
Since then, about 9 years ago, Walmart ahs been replaced with Target and Kohls as the Christmas main stays as our children are now grown and layaway is not as vital to Christmas. captjack

captjack

Shopko fan do you have alink to your flicker stuff? captjack

QuoteOriginally posted by captjack
Shopko fan do you have alink to your flicker stuff? captjack

My ShopKo pool on Flickr

HoJofan206

It is nice to see that Shopko is still opening new stores in the continuing struggling economy.  Having comepetion in a market is always a good thing.

captjack

So is the Rachel Ray line exculsive to Shopko?

QuoteOriginally posted by captjack
So is the Rachel Ray line exculsive to Shopko?  
Yes, Rachael Ray's line is exclusive to ShopKo.

Mervyns

ShopKoFan, could you upload a picture of a ShopKo/Payless pylon sign? I saw one on Wikipedia I think, but it got deleted.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mervyns
ShopKoFan, could you upload a picture of a ShopKo/Payless pylon sign? I saw one on Wikipedia I think, but it got deleted.

I could not find what you were looking for.

Various images of the front of the store

Back entrance

Pylon sign

dmx10101

GREEN BAY, Wis. - A new CEO takes the helm at Shopko this week following the resignation last week of Michael MacDonald who moved on to become president and CEO of footwear retailers DSW, Inc. MacDonald joined Shopko in 2006 and will be replaced by Paul Jones, who joined Shopko in November 2007 and previously served as the company's president and chief merchandising officer.

Shopko operates 135 Shopko stores and six Shopko Express pharmacy stores in 13 states.

Jones tasked with finding competitive edge

The outlook for Shopko doesn't change appreciably under the leadership of a new CEO and the continuing ownership of private equity firm Sun Capital. Shopko remains a $2.2 billion regional operator that enjoys some brand equity in the local markets where it operates, but beyond name recognition the company has no meaningful competitive advantages over the likes of Walmart, Target, Walgreens or CVS. Anything Shopko can do, these companies can generally do better, faster and cheaper. That leaves Shopko in a tough spot, which is where it has been for years and is one of the reasons the company was vulnerable to a takeover by Sun Capital in 2005.  

Jones has a big job ahead of him with no clear path to achieving profitable growth amid difficult economic conditions where it faces the challenge of competing with larger rivals. To his credit, Jones was responsible for implementing an entirely new merchandising strategy based on differentiated brands and strong promotional values, according to the company.

"We appreciate the foundation Mike MacDonald has laid for Shopko's future growth," said Scott King, senior managing director for Sun Capital. "We are also ecstatic to have a creative merchant and strong leader like Paul Jones to lead Shopko's talented management team in the years to come. Paul's entry into the company has been positively transformational. I have every confidence that the upcoming leadership transition will be seamless."
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
what kind of a chain is ShopKO? is it a regional discount store. I know that the era of the regionals are gone because Ames, Bradlees, CAldor, Rich's, Stuart's and Kings are gone and now long gone.
Not true, because there are a few regionals out there.
Here a few of the regional discount store chains that are left:
[list=a]
  • ShopKo
  • Pamida
  • Roses
  • Fred Meyer
  • Biggs
  • Meijer
  • Duckwall
  • ALCO
  • Magic Mart
  • Bi-Mart
  • [/list=a]
    Now try and tell us the era of regionals is dead...

QuoteOriginally posted by dmx10101
GREEN BAY, Wis. - A new CEO takes the helm at Shopko this week following the resignation last week of Michael MacDonald who moved on to become president and CEO of footwear retailers DSW, Inc. MacDonald joined Shopko in 2006 and will be replaced by Paul Jones, who joined Shopko in November 2007 and previously served as the company's president and chief merchandising officer.

Shopko operates 135 Shopko stores and six Shopko Express pharmacy stores in 13 states.

Jones tasked with finding competitive edge

The outlook for Shopko doesn't change appreciably under the leadership of a new CEO and the continuing ownership of private equity firm Sun Capital. Shopko remains a $2.2 billion regional operator that enjoys some brand equity in the local markets where it operates, but beyond name recognition the company has no meaningful competitive advantages over the likes of Walmart, Target, Walgreens or CVS. Anything Shopko can do, these companies can generally do better, faster and cheaper. That leaves Shopko in a tough spot, which is where it has been for years and is one of the reasons the company was vulnerable to a takeover by Sun Capital in 2005.  

Jones has a big job ahead of him with no clear path to achieving profitable growth amid difficult economic conditions where it faces the challenge of competing with larger rivals. To his credit, Jones was responsible for implementing an entirely new merchandising strategy based on differentiated brands and strong promotional values, according to the company.

"We appreciate the foundation Mike MacDonald has laid for Shopko's future growth," said Scott King, senior managing director for Sun Capital. "We are also ecstatic to have a creative merchant and strong leader like Paul Jones to lead Shopko's talented management team in the years to come. Paul's entry into the company has been positively transformational. I have every confidence that the upcoming leadership transition will be seamless."

I hope ShopKo manages their supply chain better. There has been a LEGO shortage in the toy department.

I hope ShopKo manages their supply chain better. There has been a LEGO shortage in the toy department.
Nevermind that. I went to ShopKo last night, and most of the LEGO sets seemed to be back in stock.

Images of the ShopKo store on Green Bay's east side (Mason Street).

Comments pertaining to this and previous posts in this thread would be nice. :)

A ShopKo price tag from the 1960s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XolmHJIgTGE

A tour through ShopKo! See for yourself, even if you haven't seen a ShopKo before.

jmcnamara96

are there any in new england?

QuoteOriginally posted by jmcnamara96
are there any in new england?
They do not have any in New England...yet. If you visit any of the Midwest, Mountain, and Pacific Northwest  states, you can find them.

All the current ShopKo locations

Source: Mapmuse
Locations with more than one store are written in bold text.

California

*Redding

Iowa

*Burlington
*Council Bluffs
*Dubuque
*Fort Madison
*Mason City
*Sioux City

Idaho

*Boise (2)
*Coeur D'Alene