Main Menu

Shopko

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

Shopko was planning to merge with Phar-Mor back in 1996, but Shopko decided to call off the merger, because of irreconcilable differences.

Shopko was once owned by SuperValu, similar to how Bradlees was once owned by Stop & Shop.

Shopko has only one store in California, in the city of Redding, California on 55 Lake Boulevard.

Shopko was the first discount store to add pharmacy and optical centers, doing so in the 1970s.

Shopko has three distribution centers: one in DePere, Wisconsin, one in Omaha, Nebraska, and one in Boise, Idaho.

Shopko's first location is located on Military Avenue in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Most Shopko stores are located in mid-sized cities or suburbs of larger cities.

Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 14, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
What's up with Payless ShoeSource having a partnership with ShopKo? I think of Payless as bottom of the barrel and seedy, but ShopKo seems so much higher quality. But I must say it almost makes me respect Payless more if ShopKo decided to team up with them, enough for the money from shoe sales at ShopKo to instead go to the Payless owners.

Shopko has two shoe departments:

One for athletic shoes (Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Fila, etc.), and another for Payless ShoeSource, which functions like a store within a store.

TheFugitive

There is a musical group from the UP of Michigan called Da Yoopers.
They recorded a Christmas album with a parody version of Jingle Bells
(told from a Yooper's perspective, of course)

Oh, rust and smoke, the heater's broke, the door just blew away.
I light a match to see the dash and then I start to pray-ay.
The frame is bent, the muffler went, the radio's okay.
Oh, what fun it is to drive this rusty Chevrolet!

The song goes on to immortalize ShopKo.

I've got to get to ShopKo
To pick up the layaway

Quote from: ShopKoFan on May 10, 2014, 09:36:26 PM
Quote from: Stork of The Weak on April 14, 2014, 09:12:04 PM
What's up with Payless ShoeSource having a partnership with ShopKo? I think of Payless as bottom of the barrel and seedy, but ShopKo seems so much higher quality. But I must say it almost makes me respect Payless more if ShopKo decided to team up with them, enough for the money from shoe sales at ShopKo to instead go to the Payless owners.

Shopko has two shoe departments:

One for athletic shoes (Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Fila, etc.), and another for Payless ShoeSource, which functions like a store within a store.

There are two Payless ShoeSource stores at Bay Park Square in Ashwaubenon, Wisconsin.

One is the traditional in-line Payless ShoeSource store, located in the Kohl's wing, a few stores down from GameStop. The other Payless is located inside Shopko.

There's nothing much happening in the news lately about Shopko, except that they're focusing on opening more Shopko Hometown stores. Shopko is still based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and is not going anywhere. As you guys may have noticed, some of Shopko's stores aren't much to look at. They sell all the basics (general merchandise and a limited amount of dry groceries) under one roof, yet they want to be viewed as a competitor to their closest Midwest competitor, Target. Their selection of general merchandise is limited compared to Walmart, Kmart, and Target, because, like I said, their stores only cover the basics (they only have English DVDs and CDs, so if you want to buy a Spanish DVD or CD, try Walmart, or another store that sells foreign DVDs), and to make up for the fact that their store has such a basic selection, Shopko has such services as a pharmacy and optical center to serve people who need prescription medicine, contact lenses, or eyeglasses. I doubt Shopko or any of its related stores will expand out east, if at all. People on this website keep asking, but they'll get the same answer.

Quote from: ShopKoFan on July 11, 2014, 11:31:26 PM
There's nothing much happening in the news lately about Shopko, except that they're focusing on opening more Shopko Hometown stores. Shopko is still based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and is not going anywhere. As you guys may have noticed, some of Shopko's stores aren't much to look at. They sell all the basics (general merchandise and a limited amount of dry groceries) under one roof, yet they want to be viewed as a competitor to their closest Midwest competitor, Target. Their selection of general merchandise is limited compared to Walmart, Kmart, and Target, because, like I said, their stores only cover the basics (they only have English DVDs and CDs, so if you want to buy a Spanish DVD or CD, try Walmart, or another store that sells foreign DVDs), and to make up for the fact that their store has such a basic selection, Shopko has such services as a pharmacy and optical center to serve people who need prescription medicine, contact lenses, or eyeglasses. I doubt Shopko or any of its related stores will expand out east, if at all. People on this website keep asking, but they'll get the same answer.
What I meant to say is that, yes, Shopko is not as grand as Walmart or Target, but it is still still upscale enough to compete with Target. The store's target customer always has been the mother of the family.

The Shopko store on 2602 Shopko Drive on Madison's east side in Madison, Wisconsin is closing due to deteriorating sales; will cut 66 jobs, name of the street will not change for the time being:
*ShopKo will close Madison store (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel) http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/261161831.html
*Shopko plans to close one of four Madison-area stores (Wisconsin State Journal) http://host.madison.com/business/shopko-plans-to-close-one-of-four-madison-area-stores/article_ae038637-83e3-5f56-a185-c41b912ba021.html
*ShopKo to close Madison store (WISC Channel 3, CBS, Madison, "Channel 3000") http://www.channel3000.com/money/shopko-to-close-madison-store/26243280
*One Madison Shopko location closing (WKOW Channel 27, ABC, Madison) http://www.wkow.com/story/25645982/2014/05/29/one-madison-shopko-location-closing
*Shopko announces layoffs, closing at Madison store (Milwaukee Business Journal) http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/news/2014/05/30/shopko-announces-layoffs-closing-at-madison-store.html
*UPDATED: ShopKo to close Madison store (WMTV NBC15, Madison) http://www.nbc15.com/home/headlines/ShopKo-to-close-Madison-store-261231351.html
*Local Shopko closing (IB Madison) http://www.ibmadison.com/In-Business-Madison/May-2014/Local-Shopko-closing/

This Shopko store closing came to me as a surprise during a time when Kmart and Sears are closing most of their stores for similar reasons. Aside from this store closing, the rest of the Shopko and Shopko Hometown stores are doing well.

dmx10101

Shopko to unveil partial store remodeling project
September 17, 2014 | By Vivian Lee

Shopko plans to unveil the results of a partial store remodeling project in all of its 133 Shopko stores Sept. 18.

The remodel includes the removal of the stores' large glass jewelry cabinets to make shopping in the jewelry department more convenient and accessible to consumers. Customers will no longer have to wait for a store associate to unlock and remove jewelry items, but will be able to easily see, touch and try on jewelry pieces.

The removal of the jewelry cabinets allows for more floor space to expand the assortment of fashion jewelry. Shopko is also expanding its selection of misses and plus size active wear and outerwear and swimwear assortments â€" categories that have seen significant growth over the past few years.

"We are confident our customers are going to love this change to our stores," said Jill Soltau, Shopko president and chief merchandising officer. "Our jewelry selection will be much easier to browse and experiment with; and with jewelry playing a key role in individualizing and completing your look, that convenience and access, combined with a new expanded selection of on-trend pieces, will be a big plus for our customers."

As part of the expansion of its active apparel, Shopko will be significantly expanding its exclusive offering of its Energy Zone active wear. The expansion features technical performance workout tops, tees, hoodies, bras, hosiery as well as an October relaunch of its Energy Zone active bottoms program.

"The athleisure trend is changing the way American women are dressing, making it necessary to expand our product assortment to ensure we are providing a wide array of options for consumers," added Soltau. "Our expansion will allow us to increase our bottoms collection and key item tops that are important to them as part of their active lifestyle. Our expanded assortment will feature something for everyone."
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Mall lands deal to bring in Shopko

The Mountain Mall is planning a remodel of its exterior with the hopes of bringing in a Shopko Hometown store as a tenant.

Whitefish Pilot, Whitefish, Montana

A Shopko Hometown store will soon occupy a large chunk of the Mountain Mall’s retail space.

Shopko has signed a lease with mall owners Carrington Co., for an approximately 37,000-square-foot space in the center of the mall.

Last month, city council approved using $200,000 in tax-increment funds to assist with a remodel of the mall. Shopko’s lease agreement with the mall was contingent upon the mall getting an exterior facelift.

The mall renovation to accommodate Shopko is estimated at $3.7 million. The facade remodel will include replacing the original block with natural stone and stucco to complement the recently remodeled Sportsman & Ski Haus.

Shopko will employ about 25 to 30 people.

“We’re very excited. This is a big deal for the mall. Shopko is a big business and will be a third anchor for the mall,” said Tom Kraus, the property manager and lease director of the mall. “It will fill a need for Whitefish and we think it will be a very good thing,”

The department store will displace about eight businesses in the mall. Two of the impacted businesses have already or are in the process of moving out.

Whitefish Dance Studio relocated to Windmill Business Park on Highway 2. The Flying Fish Kids’ Gym moved its equipment to the Flathead Gymnastic Academy. Nature Baby Outfitter will relocate to East Second Street in Whitefish at the space previously occupied by the Cigarette Depot across from the middle school.

Feelings were mixed about the arrival of Shopko among business owners and residents.

Jade Carpenter the owner of Nature Baby Outfitter and the Flying Fish Kids’ Gym didn’t think Shopko was going to be an asset to her business.

“I liked the whole community feel of the mall and how they had family events,” she said. “I don’t see how that’s going to happen with Shopko running down the middle of it.”

Carpenter said she no longer felt the mall was a good fit for her business, and that the new space the mall was offering was more expensive than her original lease.

Sarah Wellemeyer, an owner of Taco Del Sol, thinks that Shopko coming to Whitefish will be good for the city and the mall. Taco Del Sol is currently in negotiations to relocate to another space within the mall.

Stu Saye, owner of Montana Olive Oil Inc. and Sensayetional Golf also plans to keep his businesses at the mall.

Club Bed Tanning, Bonsai Brewing Project and Ben Franklin will also be impacted.

A Facebook page “Whitefish Shopko? No thank you” was created in May as a public forum to share opinions on the store coming to the mall.

Michelle Shaffer commented on the page that there are not many affordable options in Whitefish for small business owners to rent.

“Big business takes the heart out of what makes this community thrive,” she commented. “Not to mention a 10 minute drive can get you to Target, Walmart, Home Depot ect.”

Dennis Wright commented that Shopko will bring good jobs to town.

“Bet you anything that Shopko will employ more people with the ability to grant better benefits such as health insurance that mom and pop [stores] couldn’t offer.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mtnmall.com/index.php - official website for Mountain Mall in Whitefish, Montana.

TheFugitive

Quote from: dmx10101 on September 18, 2014, 01:38:22 AM

The remodel includes the removal of the stores' large glass jewelry cabinets to make shopping in the jewelry department more convenient and accessible to consumers. Customers will no longer have to wait for a store associate to unlock and remove jewelry items, but will be able to easily see, touch and try on jewelry pieces.

The removal of the jewelry cabinets allows for more floor space to expand the assortment of fashion jewelry.

I suspect the Target store near me will do this as well.

Currently their jewelry cases are all lined with paper and jewelry sits on spinning racks atop the counter.
The jewelry department is no longer manned.

Ahhh.....retail execs lying awake at night thinking of new ways to eliminate one more
minimum-wage position.  Nice to see the business has not changed since I left it.   ::)

Shopko Hometown acquires 20 former ALCO stores including this location in Bowman, North Dakota:

Shopko is also converting other former ALCO store locations in Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Texas to the Shopko Hometown brand.

----

An ALCO store in Moose Lake, Minnesota, during store closing, one of many stores that became a Shopko Hometown store (note that the store's façade is the same as the Bowman store, pictured above).

---

Former ALCO locations that are now Shopko Hometown locations:

•Burlington, CO
•DeMotte, IN
•Abilene, KS
•Beloit, KS
•Ulysses, KS
•Mahnomen, MN
•Moose Lake, MN
•Wolf Point, MT
•Bowman, ND
•New Town, ND
•Oakes, ND
•Rolla, ND
•Tioga, ND
•Mobridge, SD
•Andrews, TX
•Dalhart, TX
•Kermit, TX
•Monahans, TX
•Perryton, TX
•Moab, UT

Shopko has changed their slogan once again:

Shopko drops "My Life, My Style, My Store." for "The Stuff That Counts."

Former ShopKo store, Hastings, Nebraska (Now Big G Ace Hardware)

Shopko's new commercial for 2015 (The stuff that counts):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6boeF-BugII

QuoteThere are people in this world who devote their lives to the pursuit of stuff.
People who confuse the shiny objects they chase with the object of life.
Here's a radical thought: what if it's not more stuff we need?
What if it's about having just enough of the right stuff, to live a great life?
We come from a place where less is more.
Where peoples' priorities are just a little bit straighter.
It's not the outfit. It's the comment you get when you wear it.
It's not the chips and the soda. It's the family picnic you enjoy them at.
At Shopko, we're not a big box. We're a better box.
Our stores are simple, clean, and welcoming. Not overwhelming.
Just the essentials you need, from the brands you trust, at a fair price.
Because at the end of the day, it really isn't about the stuff. It's about the life you live with it.
Shopko. The stuff that counts.

Shopko is currently renovating all of their stores. This time, they are leaving no stone unturned by having all of their big box and Hometown stores renovated from top to bottom, interior and exterior. Stores will be open during construction. The stores will have a new lime green color scheme, reminiscent of the Kmart prototype stores of 2002. As you all may have heard, "The Stuff That Counts." replaces "My Life, My Style, My Store." as their slogan.

Former Shopko/Shopko Express Rx/Twin Valu Locations by State

Colorado (Shopko)
*Fort Collins, Colorado - 135 Bockman Drive - now a JCPenney.
*Longmont, Colorado - 955 S Hover Street - now a JCPenney.
*Loveland, Colorado - 950 E Eisenhower Boulevard - divided between Jax Outdoor Gear and Gold's Gym.

Illinois (Shopko)
*East Peoria, Illinois - 105 North Main Street (former Walmart) - VACANT.
*Galesburg, Illinois - 888 South Lake Storey Road (former Jacks) - VACANT.
*Macomb, Illinois - 1620 East Jackson (former Jacks) - now Farm King.
*Moline, Illinois - 2000 36th Avenue (former Venture #61) - VACANT.
*Pekin, Illinois - 3465 Court Street (former Jacks) - now Big R.
*Peoria, Illinois  - 2323 W. Pioneer Parkway - VACANT. (1999 prototype store)
*Rockford, Illinois - 5880 E. State Street (former Venture #???) - building converted to 'strip mall' use. The largest anchor tenant, Old Time Pottery uses the main entrance that was used by Venture, and later by Shopko.
*Springfield, Illinois - 3001 S. Dirksen Parkway (former Zayre) - VACANT.
*Springfield, Illinois - 3030 Wabash Avenue (former Jacks) - now a Farm & Home Supply store.

Indiana (Shopko)
*Evansville, Indiana - 101 N. Green River Road (former Hills) - divided between Cici's Pizza and Burlington Coat Factory.
*Evansville, Indiana - 2500 North 1st Ave. (former Hills) - DEMOLISHED.

Iowa (Shopko)
*Bettendorf, Iowa - 1431 Kimberly Road (former Target/Jacks) - now Burlington Coat Factory.
*Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 5001 1st Avenue (former Jacks) - now The MAC, Infinity Contract, and Carpetland USA.
*Cedar Rapids, Iowa - 3111 16th Avenue SW (former Jacks) - now Thiesen's.
*Clinton, Iowa - 1905 Lincoln Highway (former Jacks) - now Big River Packaging.
*Coralville, Iowa - 2050 8th Street (former Jacks) - now Hobby Lobby.
*Keokuk, Iowa - 2323 Main St. (former Jacks) - now Faith Family Church.
*Muscatine, Iowa - 501 West Bypass 61 (former Jacks) - now Calvary Church.
*Spencer, Iowa - 901 11th Street Southwest (former Jacks) - now forms part of the South Park Mall.

Kansas (Shopko)
*Wichita, Kansas - 350 S. Tracy Street (former Venture #???) - VACANT.
*Wichita, Kansas - 2057 N. Rock Road - divided between Gordman's, Dick's Sporting Goods, GameStop, and SuperCuts. (1999 prototype store)

Kentucky (Shopko)
*Paducah, Kentucky - 5101 Hinkleville Road (former Venture #125) - now Dick's Sporting Goods.

Missouri (Shopko)
*Cape Girardeau, Missouri - 300 West Park Mall (former Venture #128) - VACANT.
*Hannibal, Missouri - 4417 McMasters Avenue (former Jacks) - now Sutherlands.
*Joplin, Missouri - 101 N. Rangeline Road (Northpark Mall) (former Venture #???) - this was the temporary home to Joplin High School after a tornado destroyed their original building.

Nebraska (Shopko)
*Hastings, Nebraska - 3202 Osborne Drive West - now Big G Ace Hardware.
*Omaha, Nebraska - 7402 North 30 Street - divided between No Frills Supermarket and Dollar Tree (Dollar Tree uses Shopko's former entrance.).

Nevada (Shopko)
*Reno, Nevada - 5150 Mae Anne Avenue - now Kohl's.
*Reno, Nevada - 6139 South Virginia Street - divided between Whole Foods Market and Sierra Trading Post.
*Sparks, Nevada - 2260 Oddie Boulevard - DEMOLISHED.

Ohio (Twin Valu hypermarkets)
*Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio - 449 Howe Avenue - now Target and Best Buy.
*Euclid, Ohio - 1200 Babbitt Road - later a Super Kmart, then an exposition hall, now VACANT.

Ohio (Twin Valu supermarkets)
*Belden Village, Ohio - 4790 Everhard Road NW - now Burlington Coat Factory and TJ Maxx.
*Maple Heights, Ohio - 5321 Warrensville Center Road - now Giant Eagle.

Oregon (Shopko)
*Eugene, Oregon - 955 Bailey Hill Road - torn down for Lowe's.

Utah (Shopko)
*Provo, Utah - 2266 N University Parkway - VACANT.
*West Bountiful, Utah - 190 S 500 W - VACANT.

Wisconsin (Shopko)
*Green Bay, Wisconsin - 1819 Main Street (co-located with Sure Way and a local pharmacy) - later a Copps Food Center, DEMOLISHED for a Planet Fitness (this store was Shopko's original 2nd location, built in 1966, Shopko moved into a new store next to East Town Mall in 1988.)
*Madison, Wisconsin - 2602 Shopko Drive - VACANT.
*Menasha, Wisconsin - 1800 Appleton Road (co-located with a Copps Food Center) - now a Goodwill Store and training center.
*West Bend, Wisconsin - 1629 Main Street - DEMOLISHED with mall, replaced by Pick 'n Save, new store built across the street with strip mall.

Wisconsin (Shopko Express Rx)
*Green Bay, Wisconsin - 300 N. Broadway Street - now offices.

Shopko's new look introduced late last year to the Green Bay Area:

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on January 12, 2016, 12:21:26 AM
Shopko's new look introduced late last year to the Green Bay Area:

Is it just me, or do those signs look an awful lot like a green version of a Target sign? 
The Eyecare center, jewelry ones are what I mean.

This former ALCO store in Clarinda, Iowa will soon be home to another Shopko Hometown store.

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 04, 2016, 09:13:21 PM

This former ALCO store in Clarinda, Iowa will soon be home to another Shopko Hometown store.

Hopefully they repaint the front of that store, since the white sign doesn't show up very well on that white/pink combination (I assume the white squares were for the letters in ALCO).

Quote from: BillyGr on March 05, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 04, 2016, 09:13:21 PM

Hopefully they repaint the front of that store, since the white sign doesn't show up very well on that white/pink combination (I assume the white squares were for the letters in ALCO).
My guess, that the front will be painted green. That's not pink, but red you're seeing in the picture. After ALCO changed their logo, they also changed their color scheme from purple to red, as well as relocate their corporate HQ from Kansas to Texas. Things went from bad to worse when ALCO filed for bankruptcy in 2014, with their final store closing for good in 2015.

BillyGr

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 06, 2016, 08:20:18 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on March 05, 2016, 01:47:28 PM
My guess, that the front will be painted green. That's not pink, but red you're seeing in the picture. After ALCO changed their logo, they also changed their color scheme from purple to red, as well as relocate their corporate HQ from Kansas to Texas. Things went from bad to worse when ALCO filed for bankruptcy in 2014, with their final store closing for good in 2015.

It probably was red but has since faded (look at the small section in the corner to the left of the doors and you can see the difference, also a tiny bit around the white blocks is darker as well).

The former Venture/Shopko location will be converted back to big box store use, now that a new Joplin High School location has been built as of 2014.

March 18, 2016

Shopko Expands by Targeting Rural Markets With Smaller Format
By Arthur Zaczkiewicz, "WWD"

Shopko's Hometown smaller format stores are opening in more rural markets.

As larger retail chains reexamine their store base and close units, Green Bay, Wis.-based Shopko is adding stores. And the retailer is doing it by finding opportunities in rural areas and by opening a smaller-format unit, the Shopko Hometown store.

In 2015, the company opened 53  stores. And year-to-date, it opened an additional 12. Chief executive officer Peter McMahon told WWD the target for 2016 is about 30 stores, “and we may go higher,” he said. The company operates 363 stores in 24 states, which includes 131 Shopko stores, five Shopko Express Rx stores, five Shopko Pharmacy locations and 222 Shopko Hometown stores.

McMahon said the rural population “is grossly underserved by retailers, so we’re eager to bring Shopko Hometown to more communities.”

“We’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback from customers in our current hometown communities who tell us they appreciate the improved shopping experience and access to a broader, differentiated selection of merchandise, including products and brands previously not available in their community,” the ceo added.

McMahon told WWD that the company eyes markets where there are perhaps 5,000 or 6,000 residents who often travel 30 or more miles to shop. The ceo said Shopko Hometown offers them high-quality private-label and national brands, which include Puma, Adidas, Lee, Hanes, Free Country, Dickies, RealTree, NorthCrest and Nevados.

In regard to online shopping, McMahon said “we’re in the same race” as other retailers. But the ceo quickly noted that even as online is a “key strategy” for the company, physical stores and e-commerce “have to play together. You have to have both.”

McMahon said the company has seen online sales soar more than 20 percent. “But 50 percent of our customers go to our Web site to shop for products, and then go into the store to purchase it.” The ceo said with the smaller-format Hometown stores, shoppers can have items not available in the unit delivered to the store. The company said the Hometown stores “provide a broad and dynamic offering of strong national brands and high-value private-label brands of apparel, home furnishings, toys, consumer electronics, seasonal items, groceries and lawn and garden products â€" all in an attractive, easy-to-shop store that ranges from 15,000 to 35,000 square feet.”

The ceo said today’s consumers have experienced a shift due to the Great Recession â€" “especially Millennials.”

“I think she [the customer] has learned to be more frugal, and even though the economy has improved for the better, she remains frugal,” McMahon said. “There’s no need for her to change.”

BillyGr

Seems like a lot of this sounds like it would have been a good strategy for Ames about 15 years ago (I particularly think of the many locations they had in Northern NY where there is very little else around, but it's likely the same existed in other states they were in).

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 18, 2016, 10:08:13 PM
McMahon said the rural population “is grossly underserved by retailers, so we’re eager to bring Shopko Hometown to more communities.”

“We’ve received overwhelmingly positive feedback from customers in our current hometown communities who tell us they appreciate the improved shopping experience and access to a broader, differentiated selection of merchandise, including products and brands previously not available in their community,” the ceo added.

McMahon told WWD that the company eyes markets where there are perhaps 5,000 or 6,000 residents who often travel 30 or more miles to shop. The ceo said Shopko Hometown offers them high-quality private-label and national brands, which include Puma, Adidas, Lee, Hanes, Free Country, Dickies, RealTree, NorthCrest and Nevados.

In regard to online shopping, McMahon said “we’re in the same race” as other retailers. But the ceo quickly noted that even as online is a “key strategy” for the company, physical stores and e-commerce “have to play together. You have to have both.”

McMahon said the company has seen online sales soar more than 20 percent. “But 50 percent of our customers go to our Web site to shop for products, and then go into the store to purchase it.” The ceo said with the smaller-format Hometown stores, shoppers can have items not available in the unit delivered to the store. The company said the Hometown stores “provide a broad and dynamic offering of strong national brands and high-value private-label brands of apparel, home furnishings, toys, consumer electronics, seasonal items, groceries and lawn and garden products â€" all in an attractive, easy-to-shop store that ranges from 15,000 to 35,000 square feet.”

The ceo said today’s consumers have experienced a shift due to the Great Recession â€" “especially Millennials.”

“I think she [the customer] has learned to be more frugal, and even though the economy has improved for the better, she remains frugal,” McMahon said. “There’s no need for her to change.”

Clarinda Shopko cuts Chamber ribbon

by Chuck Morris, KMA 960 AM & 99.1 FM

   (Clarinda) -- After months of planning and negotiations, Shopko held it's official Grand Opening at its newest store in Clarinda this morning.

Clarinda Shopko Manager Tara Umbarger says the new store, which occupies the space vacated when Alco left town, offers lots of variety.

"We are a 25K based store. We are a hometown store, so we offer a little bit of everything. We have groceries, home goods, hardware, cleaning supplies and a little bit of home improvement too. We try to offer a variety of a little bit of everything."

Umbarger says the new store employs nearly 30 people.

"Right now we have 28 employees, including myself and my assistant. And we are continuing to grow that and we are looking for new employees all the time."

Clarinda Mayor Gordon Kokenge welcomed Shopko to Clarinda prior to the official ribbon cutting. Shopko in turn donated $2,500 to the Clarinda Schools. The check was presented to High School Principal Teresa Nook and Student Body President Taylor Stansbury.

Umbarger says the store is open 7 days a week and she along with her employees are very excited to serve the community.

"I just want to thank everybody for the support in getting us here. I know that was a big thing. The Clarinda community wanted a Shopko here and they worked really hard to get it here. So we are very excited about that. We are anxious to show everybody what we have to offer."

Nearly 100 people lined up to enter the store following the ribbon cutting.

Target exit may have deterred Shopko
Retail chain had plans for store in Eloy
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:49 am

By KEVIN REAGAN Staff Writer, Casa Grande Dispatch 

ELOY â€" News of Target closing its doors in Casa Grande last year reportedly spooked away a large retail chain from building a store in Eloy.

Shopko, a Wisconsin-based company with over 360 stores, was seriously considering Eloy as the site to build its first location in Arizona, according to former Arizona Access Executive Director Jim Dinkle.

The company reached out to Dinkle, who resigned from Access Arizona this year, last summer and began “active negotiations” with an Eloy property owner to construct a store on Sunshine Boulevard that would sell a variety of mixed goods including home appliances, pharmaceuticals and clothing.

The plot of land picked by Shopko was already “shovel-ready” for retail development, Dinkle added, and the city attempted to expedite the permitting process to get the project streamlined.

Then Target, which operated a location at The Promenade at Casa Grande, announced in November it would be closing that store, along with several others across the country, at the start of 2016.

Target spokeswoman Kristy Welker had stated in November the decision to close a store is typically the result of decreasing profitability over several years.

Shortly after Target made the announcement, Dinkle said Shopko decided to discontinue the project in Eloy. Target’s inability to stay open in Casa Grande created fears for Shopko, he said, that the market was not strong enough to sustain a new store.

Shopko has since switched to Springerville, a town situated near the White Mountains, to build its first Arizona store. Opening last month, the store occupied an empty building where an ALCO retail store once operated.

A Shopko spokeswoman was not able to comment on the company’s consideration of Eloy for a new store or why it ended up picking Springerville.

After merging with Pamida Stores in 2012, Shopko has focused on targeting rural communities for its new stores. At least 20 Shopko locations opened last year in mostly small towns in Texas, Minnesota and North Dakota.

The decision to not build in Eloy was disappointing to City Manager Harvey Krauss, as he thinks the city still has a healthy market for such a store.

Eloy, which currently doesn’t have a big retail store such as Wal-Mart, would have benefited from Shopko’s “hometown” store format that caters to serving small communities, Krauss added.

He said the city has prioritized recruiting big industrial companies to Eloy in recent years, but he plans to become more “aggressive” in marketing to more retail chains in the future. Retail can be tough to attract, he added, since those companies depend heavily on population numbers and future housing development.

Dinkle said he attempted to follow-up with Shopko after it withdrew plans for Eloy but did not receive a response. He does not know of any other potential business projects in Casa Grande or Eloy that have been dissuaded by Target’s closure.

JimSawhill

Quote from: BillyGr on March 19, 2016, 06:18:22 PM
Seems like a lot of this sounds like it would have been a good strategy for Ames about 15 years ago (I particularly think of the many locations they had in Northern NY where there is very little else around, but it's likely the same existed in other states they were in).

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 18, 2016, 10:08:13 PM

I wonder if Ames would've survive if they stayed focused on smaller towns. If they did, I bet Ames would be the Northeast's Shopko. I wonder if the Ames name can be bought. That and 'Barker's' I'd love to buy the rights, too.

Quote from: JimSawhill on May 06, 2016, 02:21:09 PM
I wonder if Ames would've survive if they stayed focused on smaller towns. If they did, I bet Ames would be the Northeast's Shopko. I wonder if the Ames name can be bought.
Somebody in Sedan, Kansas now has the rights to the Ames brand name for e-commerce purposes. Instead of acquiring the lapsed trademark of a fallen retailer, why not come up with one of your own? Something more original?