Main Menu

Hacketts

Started by mikey7290, April 05, 2009, 11:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

I read in the local paper that Hackett's (now owned by WiseBuys) isn't doing very well.  The company took out a bank loan to buy Hackett's and once the economy soured, the bank demanded that the company repay the loan in full.  Now most Hackett's stores are left with bare shelves.  Plus, on Thursday (April 2) I stopped by the the store on Route 13 in Pulaski NY (which was formerly a WiseBuys and before that an Ames) only to see a notice on the door that the store was closed!  The cashier at the dollar store next door said that Hackett's just up and closed one day without a going out of business sale.  No one knows if the store will reopen or not.  When I checked the Hackett's website (www.hackettsonline.com) that night, it said the Pulaski store was being remodeled but was still open for business!  I wonder what's going on?  The only other store I know is closed is the small Sackets Harbor (NY) store, which is closed but only until summer, when it should reopen for the season.

store215

Future doesn't look too good :hurt:

Johnson Newspaper sues Hacketts over unpaid ads
SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 2009
ARTICLE OPTIONS
A A A
print this article
e-mail this article

The parent company of the Watertown Daily Times has filed a lawsuit against the operators of Hacketts department stores over an unpaid $30,000 advertising bill.

The Johnson Newspaper Corp. filed state Supreme Court action Thursday at the Jefferson County Clerk's office against Patrick Hackett Hardware Co., Ogdensburg, which operates nine Hacketts stores in the north country. A tenth store in Pulaski closed March 28.

According to court documents, Hacketts has failed to pay $30,524 for advertising it placed in several Johnson Newspaper publications, including the Watertown Daily Times, the St. Lawrence County Newspapers, the Northern NY Newspapers, the Carthage Republican Tribune, the Fort Drum Mountaineer, the Advance News, Pennysaver, Daily Courier Observer, the Ogdensburg Journal, Rural News and the St. Lawrence Plain Dealer.

Ameskid

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321

According to court do[Censored]ents...
LOL!
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

patk

:insane::insane: that crazy profanity filter :insane::insane:

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by patk
:insane::insane: that crazy profanity filter :insane::insane:

try this... Dick's Sporting Goods

patk

court doc.u.ments
its c.u.m agin
Dick's Sporting Goods

nims57

shakethis1234

just another retailer ruined by Joseph R. Ettore

mikey7290

It's official.  According to tonight's news on WWNY-TV in Watertown (NY), the Hackett's store there, located in the old Northland Plaza (now Hackett's Towne Center) on State Street is going out of business.  The store opened in October 2006, replacing the old Ames store there.  There are currently no plans to close any other Hackett's locations, all located in St. Lawrence County (Ogdensburg, Canton, Potsdam, Massena and Gouverneur.)

shakethis1234

i knew this would happen as soon wise buys took over hackets i went to plusaki store last october store was mostly empty they were doing a slow remodel to hacketts but their were only hand full shoppers the only areas that were full were radio shack payless shoes other wise store was half empty

mikey7290

After saying that they were not going to close any stores in St. Lawrence County, Hackett's announced yesterday that they are closing the Canton store in the University Plaza.  That store was originally a Britt's, then Ames, then WiseBuys before becoming Hackett's.  The Payless Shoes located inside is also closing, but no date has been announced yet.

mikey7290

It was announced yesterday that Hackett's is shutting down two more stores.  The store in the St. Lawrence Centre mall in Massena (NY) closed for good yesterday and all merchandise is being sent to the Gouverneur (NY) store, which is also closing sometime in August.  The Gouverneur store has had a long history as Grants, then Ames, then WiseBuys, then Hackett's.  According to the local TV station, Hackett's fell behind on the rent at their Gouverneur store and the landlord cancelled their lease.  However, the store has apparently already been leased to another chain, which one I don't know.  The report also says that IF Hackett's can turn things around, they will reopen the Massena store in the future.

mikey7290

I just heard on the 11pm local news tonight that Hackett's landlord in Potsdam (NY) is taking the chain to Supreme Court to try and evict them.  Apparently the chain has not paid its rent since March.  If they are kicked out of the shopping center, located at 200 Market Street, it would only leave Tupper Lake and Ogdensburg open. :(

gu4ever

In April I visited Grand Union in Hamilton, NY. Hackett's is also in this shopping center. Along with taking some great photos of Grand Union I got a shot of the street sign that includes Hackett's sign.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

mikey7290

According to news reports, the Hackett's store in Sackets Harbor (NY), which was closed earlier this year, has been reopened.

shakethis1234

yea the sackets harbor store is seasonal

mikey7290

Hackett's has worked things out with the landlords at their Gouverneur and Massena stores.  The Massena store in the St. Lawrence Centre mall, which closed last month, is expected to reopen in its former location around August 15th.  The Gouverneur store on East Main Street was expected to close in a few weeks.  The Going-Out-Of-Business sale there will end on Sunday and it will be business as usual at the store beginning Monday.  The store on Route 11 in Canton's University Plaza will still be closing.  Their last day is tomorrow (Sun 7/26).

mikey7290

Here is a pic of the original Hackett's store in Ogdensburg, NY.  It was located at 317 North Water Street in downtown Ogdensburg from 1875 until 1972, when the family sold the building to the city for its Urban Renewal program.  The current store was built in 1972 on the site of the old Doyle Lumber Company and opened that same year, expanding in 1983 and again a few years ago.  The building shown here was demolished in 1975.  The photo is courtesy of Ted Como (www.ogdensburg.info).

mikey7290

Here is a copy of the moving sale ad for Hackett's original Ogdensburg store, located downtown at 317 North Water Street.  The ad was in the Ogdensburg Journal, dated July 15, 1972.  The store moved a short time later to its current location at 1223 Pickering Street.  The old store was demolished in 1975.

gu4ever

I didn't take pictures of this the last time I was out, and sadly I ran out of daylight too. But luckily the lights were on and nobody was home!! So they came out okay in the darkness.

gu4ever

Main Lobby and exterior store sign.

gu4ever

gu4ever

Interior view of the shopping carts and customer service.

gu4ever

The checkout area and exit doors.

gu4ever

One last view before departing, the road sign.
This time at night.

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
The checkout area and exit doors.

Ames Baskets? near the carts

gu4ever

The basket were actually a bright shade of green, I didn't think that they were Ames baskets, but it's kind of hard to tell from the angle and lighting.