P&C Supermarkets

Started by storehistoryguy, August 16, 2005, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRJ22487

I used to go there all the time as a kid when it was Grand Union in the 90's. Small store. Basketball court behind it had one hoop that was like 8 feet high and one that must have been 12...

gu4ever

The former home of P&C of Plattsburgh, NY.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

Interior view of the produce department.

gu4ever

The seafood department in the back of the store.

gu4ever

A view of the customer service desk. The meat department is
in the background. You can see to the left of the photo an aisle of pendant lighting similiar to what is hanging over customer service.
A side note....
I wouldn't recommend eating the cheese puffs at the service desk! :barf:

gu4ever

The label scar of P&C.

jaredski09

P&C just filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection and are expected to sell off all of their assets and most of their 79 stores in four states by early next year. The company said that second-quarter losses of $7 million, missed loan payments, and slower shipments from suppliers forced them to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
Interior view of the produce department.

This pic of the produce department of the old Plattsburgh P&C reminds me of the old P&C in Massena (NY).  It is now a building supply store, but if you walk way over to the left side of the store way in the back, there is a storage and office area.  If you look way up to the top of the stairs, you can see this same color scheme on the walls and even the lettering from the department that was there when it was a P&C.  The wall was left untouched by the new store!  Plus, I don't know if they are still on there, but the building supply store had photos of the store's renovation on their website when they converted it from the old P&C store.

jaredski09

Just heard on the news that Tops Family Markets will be buying P&C for $85 million. They plan on keeping open most of the P&C stores and they will try and keep most of the 6,000 people employed by P&C. I guess Price Chopper wanted to buy 22 of the 46 P&C stores for a reported $54 million, but apparently the deal fell through, so I guess Price Chopper is now objecting to the proposed sale to Tops Markets. But for right now, Penn Traffic has accepted Tops Market's offer.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by jaredski09
Just heard on the news that Tops Family Markets will be buying P&C for $85 million. They plan on keeping open most of the P&C stores and they will try and keep most of the 6,000 people employed by P&C. I guess Price Chopper wanted to buy 22 of the 46 P&C stores for a reported $54 million, but apparently the deal fell through, so I guess Price Chopper is now objecting to the proposed sale to Tops Markets. But for right now, Penn Traffic has accepted Tops Market's offer.

But Tops (and Bi-Lo) are no longer owned by Ahold?

gu4ever

Has anyone been out getting pictures of P&C before they close or are converted to it's new buyer?
I really want to, but I'm close to needing the costly timing belt done on my car + the weather has been pretty unpredictable.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

Nope. These days  Ahold only owns - Stop & Shop, Giant of Landover, Giant of Carlisle, and Martins a division of Giant of Carlisle.

nims57

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
QuoteOriginally posted by nims57

Nope. These days  Ahold only owns - Stop & Shop, Giant of Landover, Giant of Carlisle, and Martins a division of Giant of Carlisle.

The Bi-Lo stores in Northeastern PA are now Price Chopper. Originally they were Acme.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
Close up of the logo on the street sign.

thats in Lincoln NH

jmcnamara96

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Discuss.

thats hills at the far end i belive

jaredski09

Hey guys... I just recently went to the Bradford P&C and here are some pictures of the empty building...

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/gallery/main.php/v/other/PANDC/

Hannaford Supermarket will be moving in soon and after that they plan to build a brand new Hannaford Supermarket.

gu4ever

Quote from: jaredski09 on March 16, 2010, 08:56:18 PM
Hey guys... I just recently went to the Bradford P&C and here are some pictures of the empty building...

http://www.amesfanclub.com/forum/gallery/main.php/v/other/PANDC/

Hannaford Supermarket will be moving in soon and after that they plan to build a brand new Hannaford Supermarket.
Those are some great photo's of the Bradford P&C store!

voma132

Some of my favorite P and C bags.... and some different logos from 1980's to present....

voma132

gu4ever

The now former P&C building of White River Junction, VT. On my visit they only had 2 days remaining and most of the store was empty and blocked off so you could not walk through to get pictures past the checkout area.
When I asked if I could get a few photo's of the department signs from the former Grand Union store, I was told no one was around to authorize that and to stop back later in the afternoon. Needless to say I wasn't hanging around for hours to wait and see if it would be okay to walk through and snap some pictures!!

jmcnamara96

Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 11:33:50 AM
The now former P&C building of White River Junction, VT. On my visit they only had 2 days remaining and most of the store was empty and blocked off so you could not walk through to get pictures past the checkout area.
When I asked if I could get a few photo's of the department signs from the former Grand Union store, I was told no one was around to authorize that and to stop back later in the afternoon. Needless to say I wasn't hanging around for hours to wait and see if it would be okay to walk through and snap some pictures!!

I like the store deseign is it from the 70s?

gu4ever

Quote from: jmcnamara96 on May 02, 2010, 05:42:06 PM
Quote from: gu4ever on May 02, 2010, 11:33:50 AM

I like the store deseign is it from the 70s?
Yes it was from the 70's. Originally there were large white circular globe lights that hung from the raised canopy area near the entrance.

TollBoothGuy

The 39,000 square-foot former P&C store in Ogdensburg, NY is in the process of being splilt down the middle. One half is becoming a Save-A-Lot with a completely new entrance and that is supposed to open by Labor Day. The other half (with the original P&C entrance) is rumored to be a Big Lots (but there's no confirmation of that yet.) I will keep you posted and try to get some pics of the construction.