P&C Supermarkets

Started by storehistoryguy, August 16, 2005, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey7290

Here is the P&C store in the Stateway Plaza on Arsenal Street in Watertown, NY.

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by mikey7290
Here is the P&C store in the Stateway Plaza on Arsenal Street in Watertown, NY.

And another pic of the Arsenal Street store.

mikey7290

Here is the current P&C store in Watertown (NY)'s Seaway Plaza on Route 11.  Opened in 1988, this space was originally an Acme Markets, later Super Duper.  The store was renovated inside and out last year and is now one of the chain's "Fresh Markets."

mikey7290

Here is the current P&C store in Watertown (NY)'s Seaway Plaza on Route 11.  Opened in 1988, this space was originally an Acme Markets, later Super Duper.  The store was renovated inside and out last year and is now one of the chain's "Fresh Markets."

Here is the original P&C at the Seaway Plaza in Watertown NY.  In 1988, P&C moved from this store down to the opposite end of the plaza where it is now and this store became a bowling alley, which of course, is slated to close at the end of the month.

NJxxJon

And the P&C in Gouverneur NY, located on East Main Street:

That looks like our CVS..s...down here..
JN

david121

The Watertown NY P&C's are both dumps inside. If you love dated stores, then you'll love it. If you love high prices, then shop here. I don't shop at P&C often, because they are expensive. However, the one on Arsenal Street was slightly updated on the exterior a while back. Seaway plaza itself is dump, and the one on Arsenal Street is in a plaza that is struggling as well.

Watertown is way over plaza'd, and there are a lot of store fronts for rent.

march573

This P&C is the new one.. I remember the old one next door. It's now Kinney Drugs. Before It was Carl's Drugs and before that It was the original P&C store. I remember the Party Club Soda they used to sell

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by march573
This P&C is the new one.. I remember the old one next door. It's now Kinney Drugs. Before It was Carl's Drugs and before that It was the original P&C store. I remember the Party Club Soda they used to sell

Here is the Grand Opening ad from that old P&C.  It appeared in the Gouverneur Tribune-Press on June 21, 1961.

march573

wow what a blast from the past!!.. Seeing the old logo and a picture of the store brouhgt back a lot of great memories. thanks for posting

mikey7290

QuoteOriginally posted by march573
wow what a blast from the past!!.. Seeing the old logo and a picture of the store brouhgt back a lot of great memories. thanks for posting

You're welcome!  :D  You can find quite a lot of old pics and articles at news.nnyln.org.  It has a lot of the old newspapers from the North Country from various years, including Gouverneur.  Just click on the link for the newspaper you want to look at, then type what you are looking for into the search engine for that particular newspaper.

march573

I see in the news recently where P & C is closing 2 of it's New York Stores and 3 of it's BiLo stores in PA. They closed their Penny Curtis Bakery recently too. Although I hate to sound pessimistic but I think that P&C's time has come.. I has not ben my favorite store but convenient for odds and ends.

shakethis1234

I see PC Wherehouse is is now being supplyed by C&S

shakethis1234

C&S is now supplying the PC wherehouse

mikey7290

It was announced today that P&C is closing its store in the Stateway Plaza on Arsenal Street in Watertown, NY.  This store has been open since 1970 and will close on February 7.  There are seven other stores in New York State closing.  They are, according to a Penn Traffic news release:

- 4141 S. Salina Street (Valley Plaza) Syracuse, NY
- 2078 State Rt. 481   Fulton, NY
- 315 Genesee Street   Auburn, NY
- 1222 Arsenal Street  Watertown, NY
- 1503 Canandaigua Road  Macedon, NY
- 1184 Prim Road   Colchester, VT
- 6710 Route 31 East  Newark, NY

Quality Markets

- 166 East Fourth Street  Dunkirk, NY

Here is a pic I took of the Watertown store that will be closing next month.

Mervyns

QuoteOriginally posted by StarSage
Does anyone have photos of a P&C Fresh Market? This was apparently a new store concept in development within the last decade. There was one planned and built in Gang Mills, NY (near Super Kmart that closed) but I hear that no sooner did they have their Grand Opening than a Walmart SuperCenter opened across the street.. and the rest is history.

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Discuss.

this P & C in elmira somewhat looks the same.

Former Gang Mills P&C. Right across from an abandoned Kmart, which was also a Nichols and Phar-Mor at one time. Also down the road from a vacant Ames.

TRJ22487

Inside of vacant A&P/P&C Peterborough NH

Found this mangled A&P cart behind the building on a snowmobile trail

mitch573

I have heard from a very reliable source that all the P&C Stores Located in St Lawrence County as well as the one in Watertown, NY were bought out by Price Chopper. The Employees will be laid off and the stores will be closed for 30 to 45 days while renovations and restocking take place. The employees will need to reapply for their jobs as Price Chopper is a non union store. Also out of the 9 that were purchased 2 to three will be closed. Potsdam, NY, Ogdensburg, NY and Watertown NY. Next week is a meeting of all employees and they will be informed then about the buy out.

shakethis1234

P&C Foods already closed the Watertown store last january. Their is a Price Chopper located across the road but that price chopper is in better shape. Price Chopper just open their new store in oswego ny last week in the former P&C that closed last december.

mitch573

Actually there were 2 in Watertown.. There is one located in the Seaway Plaza on Route 11 heading north out of the city. The second one in that location will close permanently

shakethis1234

the one in seaway plaza closed last january idk where the 2nd on is at

mikey7290

If the P&C stores in the North Country were to close, I can understand Ogdensburg and Watertown because they already have a Price Chopper in both cities.  They might keep the Watertown one open (Seaway Plaza) because there are no supermarkets in that neighborhood right now.  The Stateway Plaza (Watertown) P&C is already closed.  This would leave Massena, Canton and Gouverneur.  I think Potsdam would also stay open because the only other supermarkets in town are Save-A-Lot and Big M.  They are both smaller.  There is also a super Wal-Mart in Potsdam but it is about 2-3 miles out of town.

gu4ever

P&C Fresh Market checkout light.
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

This is the P&C Food store located in Bradford, VT.

gu4ever

Street sign in Bradford, VT.

gu4ever

Here is the shopping center in Lincoln, NH with a P&C Foods.

gu4ever

This location was built and opened as a Grand Union store.

gu4ever

Close up of the logo on the street sign.

gu4ever

Here is a picture of the street sign of the P&C Food Store in White River Junction Vermont.

gu4ever

Here is the store front of the P&C Food. Does the facade look familiar? It was at one time a Grand Union and this particuliar exterior package can be found on the Johnson, VT and Swanton, VT stores.

gu4ever

The corner entrance of the P&C Food Store.