P&C Supermarkets

Started by storehistoryguy, August 16, 2005, 11:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

storehistoryguy

Discuss.

amesman

Syracuse,NY  based supermarket chain. I call them Piss & Crap Supermarket just for laughs :P

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

shakethis1234

There is Rumor that Food Lion is buying the Ch 11 Chain Dads Animal food wont ship to them until they pay up on bills

storehistoryguy

P&C Foods Trucks. I wish P&C was in my area. They seem like nice stores.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/sissick16.htm

storehistoryguy

Are they connected with Quality Markets because they both have the same websites. Look.
P&C Foods
Quality Markets

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy
Are they connected with Quality Markets because they both have the same websites. Look.
P&C Foods
Quality Markets
Yep - the parent company is Penn Traffic (http://www.penntraffic.com) and they list three sites - P&C, Quality  and Bi-Lo and Riverside (site is http://www.bilofoods.com) - not connected to the Bi-Lo's in the south.

StarSage

Growing up the youngest of four children in a small town in Steuben County New York I have many fond memories of shopping at the local P&C grocery store with my mother. The walls above the produce, bakery, and frozen food sections all had artful closeups of common products.. frozen foods, eggs, milk..etc.

Today my store (the Riverside, NY location) is closed and it's sister store (a new concept store, P&C Fresh Market) in nearby Gang Mills also lays closed just months after opening.
The KMart nextdoor to Fresh Market is closed too.. and across the road, a Walmart Supercenter.:flaming:

Producers & Consumers

BillyGr

The first is the (former) store in Cobleskill - on Route 7 across from SUNY Cobleskill - it closed a couple years back (their last round of closings) and has now been reopened as a Sears Tools-Electronics-Lawn & Garden.

The second is a (still open) store in Cooperstown on Route 28 south fo the village.  It appears to be a new(er) store - I'm guessing they had one closer to (or in) the village at one time.  This is now the closest P&C to the Albany area.

The last is the former Oneonta store - it's on Route 7/23, shortly after they turn rright off of Main Street.  This one closed (I think) in the last round also, and has been subdivided for smaller stores.

powersbt

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr
The first is the (former) store in Cobleskill - on Route 7 across from SUNY Cobleskill - it closed a couple years back (their last round of closings) and has now been reopened as a Sears Tools-Electronics-Lawn & Garden.

The second is a (still open) store in Cooperstown on Route 28 south fo the village.  It appears to be a new(er) store - I'm guessing they had one closer to (or in) the village at one time.  This is now the closest P&C to the Albany area.

The last is the former Oneonta store - it's on Route 7/23, shortly after they turn rright off of Main Street.  This one closed (I think) in the last round also, and has been subdivided for smaller stores.

Wow, they did quite a number on the Oneonta P&C. The last I saw it, they were in the process of remodeling it.

As far as the Cooperstown one, that was built around the early to mid '90s. The Pizza Hut was the first to go in there, as they wanted a restaurant in the Village. They tried their hardest to get a restaurant in the village, but village officials denied it. They settled for the "Country." This was P&C's only venture into Cooperstown. At one point, Cooperstown actually had two Great American's in the village 2 miles away from each other. They had the one that you photographed today, and there was one right next to the Firehouse towards Main St. The one next to the Firehouse was the original one. I've been told that the one that is currently a Great American was once a Bowling Alley.

d_fife

Discuss.

this P & C in elmira somewhat looks the same.

d_fife

here is P & C in watkins glen new york.

d_fife

here is the P & C foods in rome new york.

amesman

Here's the P&C on Brewerton Road(U.S. 11) in Syracuse.

d_fife

here is the one in syracuse ny in the shop city shopping center

d_fife

here is P & C foods in fulton ny in the k-mart plaza.

StarSage

P&C = Producers & Consumers

Discuss.

StarSage

Does anyone have photos of a P&C Fresh Market? This was apparently a new store concept in development within the last decade. There was one planned and built in Gang Mills, NY (near Super Kmart that closed) but I hear that no sooner did they have their Grand Opening than a Walmart SuperCenter opened across the street.. and the rest is history.

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Discuss.

this P & C in elmira somewhat looks the same.

fa152

From SupermarketNews.com

Penn Traffic to Close 4 Stores, Sell 1
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (December 15, 2006) -- Penn Traffic here said it would close two P&C Foods supermarkets and two stand-alone Quality Pharmacy stores by the end of the month. The company also reached an agreement to sell one Quality Markets supermarket location to an independent distribution customer. The P&C stores set for closure are located in Fairmount, N.Y., and Cicero, N.Y., and the pharmacies are located in Westfield, Pa., and Cambridge Springs, Pa., a Penn Traffic spokesman told SN. The Quality Market store to be sold to an independent distribution customer is located in Corry, Pa. -- Jon Springer .

mikey7290

Here is the P&C in Ogdensburg, NY.  This store was built in 1990.  This pic was taken 2 or 3 years ago and is a little out of focus because it was taken with my older, crappier digital camera.  Sorry about that.  There's not much difference between then and now on the outside -- just a new paint job with a lighter color.  The dark brown on both the sign and bricks was replaced last year with a cream color.  I will try and take a recent pic soon and post it so you can see the difference.

mikey7290

Here is the P&C in the Potsdam Plaza on Market Street (Route 56).  The store is a former JCPenney, which moved to the St. Lawrence Centre mall in Massena back in 1990 (hence the JCPenney Catalog Center on the left).  The catalog center has since closed.

mikey7290

This is the P&C store in the Harte Haven Shopping Center in Massena, NY.  This store opened in about 1993 in the former Jamesway store.  Here is how it looks during the day...

mikey7290

mikey7290

Here is a pic of the second old P&C in Massena, NY.  I found this pic on the website of the former Massena Building Supply when they were remodeling the store.  This store was built in the late 1980's or early 1990's to replace the original P&C across the street.  That store later became a Central Tractor store then torn down for a Home Depot.  This pic shows the newer store after P&C moved out to its third location in the Harte Haven Shopping Center in 1993.  This building is now the Triple A Building Center (successor to the Massena Building Supply).  The vacant store at the left was a Kinney Drugs and is now a Dollar General.

mikey7290

And here is what that store building looks like today:

mikey7290

And the P&C in Gouverneur NY, located on East Main Street: