Main Menu

Woolco

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoJofan206

Does anyone know how many Woolco Dept stores there were at the time the stores went out of business.  Seems to me that the company was rather large when it went under.

C. Fontaine

Heres some cool stuff I found in my House from Woolworth/Woolco that I just gotta share.  Since I still haven't been able to afford a new digital camera, here's a few crappy shots from my camera phone.

Zayre88

Here's something else with an original Woolco price tag :tumble:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Heres some cool stuff I found in my House from Woolworth/Woolco that I just gotta share.  Since I still haven't been able to afford a new digital camera, here's a few crappy shots from my camera phone.

actley the pics dident come out so bad lol i wish i could mail u my old diggtel Camria:bounce:
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

nibbick40

QuoteOriginally posted by HoJofan206
Does anyone know how many Woolco Dept stores there were at the time the stores went out of business.  Seems to me that the company was rather large when it went under.

According to an article in the St. Petersburg Times I read a while back, there were 336 stores when they halted operations in the U.S. in 1983.  There were 120-some in Canada at the time of the Walmart takeover in 1994 or thereabouts.

Was anyone watching "Law & Order" on NBC on a Saturday night about 4 weeks ago?  The characters played by Dennis Farina and James Martin were walking and talking at a NYC corner during the scene when a truck pulled up and stopped in the background.  At the end of the scene, Farina and Martin walk out, leaving the camera focused on the truck for about 2 seconds before the scene ended.  On the truck was a white "W" on a red square with the word "Woolco" above it.  After further investigation, it apparently represents a food distribution company, far detached from the original Woolco:

Link: Woolco Foods

Zayre88

Here's a picture of a Woolcrest felt pen.  I think it was a Woolco store brand.  :tumble:

HoJofan206

Kinda sad how Woolco died in the early 1980's.  Back then Wal-Mart had nothing to do with taking over other stores....

Zayre88

Inside a former Woolco in march 2003.  The store is used a few months a year by an RV dealership as a huge indoor showroom !

The doors are still authentic Woolco.  It's a canadian Woolco of course.  I'm pretty sure all U.S. stores have been converted by now :yup:

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Inside a former Woolco in march 2003.  The store is used a few months a year by an RV dealership as a huge indoor showroom !

The doors are still authentic Woolco.  It's a canadian Woolco of course.  I'm pretty sure all U.S. stores have been converted by now :yup:

yea but if u think about it most of the us stores stil;ll sit vacant as former Caldors Bradlees ames and even Jamesway  there not many but some are still out there
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

Zayre88

What i meant was that this Woolco is still original because it was not replaced by another store after it closed.  :yup:

A new store would have repainted the walls, removed or covered the Woolco logos. To me it's the oldest closed store with that much original pieces about it's past :P

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
The style of these two stores appears to be an early Woolco concept...
they look like this ames

Maybe that Ames used to be a Woolco. :tumble:

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Caldor1999

hears a former Woolco in NJ well i sould Say Former Caldor
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

hears anouther shot of the bulding this Caldor is still standing as of 2005 from what i  was told this is in the 100% vacant cinnaminson mall in cinnaminson NJ there also a vaccant ames there too
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

anouther Caldeor that was a Woolco
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

heaers a Venture that look alot like a Fomer Woolco funny how all the now closed chains took over many woolco locations from Caldor to Bradlees to Jamesway to Ames and now Venture
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

Another former Woolco / Rich's / Ames.  The front of the store was modified by Rich's.

Caldor1999

most Caldors that were in former Woolco's had this look to them
Caldor Forever!

storehistoryguy

I kind of see that is Ames too.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by storehistoryguy

I kind of see that is Ames too.

yes Ames and Caldor snached up the good newer Woolco Locations and did a good job rentvateing the insode while keeping th eoutsuide in it orangel form Bradlees go the older locations and nevre did much to change the stores look
Caldor Forever!

Zayre88

A Canadian Woolco store during the GOB sale in 1994.  The sign in the window reads $75 millions of merchandise to liquidate.

XDeSuEhTX

I found this image of a now closed Big K-Mart that looks like it was a former woolco, like some of the pics posted already.

"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by XDeSuEhTX
I found this image of a now closed Big K-Mart that looks like it was a former woolco, like some of the pics posted already.

Most likely it was. It doesn't look like a K Mart.

storehistoryguy

I made a fake Woolco ad! It took me an hour to make so don't make fun of it! :insane:

store215

$1.60 for a two liter? No wonder why Woolco went out of business :yup:

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
$1.60 for a two liter? No wonder why Woolco went out of business :yup:

What are you talking about? That says 89 cents.

storehistoryguy

QuoteOriginally posted by 76BraldorZayKamesfanBBTB
Selling cheap isn't  the reason why Woolco went GOB LOL:insane:

Its a coupon! Its supposed to be cheap!

storehistoryguy

storehistoryguy

Woolworth/Woolco brand cars! Mint!:o