Main Menu

Woolco

Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

store215

DISCUSS!

Zayre88

What do you think ??  This is a cap of the new MLB team from Washington compared to an old Woolco logo ...

amesman

There were two Woolworth's in Kingston. There was one downtown, which has now been sealed into two spaces(The back half still looking original). The other store, on Ulster Avenue, is now offices.

Chris

The one in Berlin CT suffered a terrible fatal fire in 1997. I remember going for lunch there when I was small, and taking rides to see the store when it was destroyed. It is now empty and still is and is used for parking trucks.

palooza68

Hi
This is my friends I.D  However, my first job was at Woolco, I really loved that store, the Red Grill.  I started in the pet dept.and then became a full time cashier.  It had everything .  I miss that store.  Hey does anyone remember GRANTS?

Thanks for the memories.

Jazzy:roll:

shakethis1234

Their use to be Woolworths in Fulton New York now Dollar General Woolworths had a good resturante. Woolworths had the best Breakfast ever.

shakethis1234

the owners of Woolworths/woolco/Footlocker/Key bank live in Plasaki New york

Anonymous

amesman

I've never been to a Woolco. The last Woolworth I was ever inside of, was in Buffalo, in 1995, when they had the last logo: WOOLWORTH

amesman

Here's a picture of a Woolworth's taken in New Orleans by my friend Rich Kummerlowe(who owns www.autoage.org). It has the logo I was talking about. Notice the older logo on the sign..heh. ;)

Rayco7030

Ames,King's,Mars,Two-Guys,Bradlees,
Caldor,Steigers,Wt Grant,Zayre,Woolco,
Woolworth,Sears,K-Mart,JC Penny,Target,
Wal-Mart,Child World,Pondersoa,Shop Rite
,Big Y,Winn-Dixie.Syop And Shop,Toys R Us
,Arby's,Howard Johnson's,Holiday Inn
,Sheraton Inn,Double D Dairy Bar,
Friendly's,Dunkin Dounuts,Wendy's,
Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

Rayco7030

Burger King.MCdonald's

C. Fontaine

Here's an oldie, 1910.  Is this a Woolworth?

Zayre88

The style of these two stores appears to be an early Woolco concept...

Anonymous

Maybe those two Woolco's in the picture above were stores that they took over or moved into?  The reason I suggest this is that both signs appear to have extra spaces (the left one has one on each end, the right one you can see only one on the right end) - which leads you to think there might have been a store with a longer name there previously?

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
Maybe those two Woolco's in the picture above were stores that they took over or moved into?  The reason I suggest this is that both signs appear to have extra spaces (the left one has one on each end, the right one you can see only one on the right end) - which leads you to think there might have been a store with a longer name there previously?

I thought of that too at first because i only had the pic with the one empty square.  Then i found the other with a blank square on both sides of the letters.  It's quite probably from another store but it may be part of that design.  I tried to find store names that could fit 8 spaces...

Another thing is that those pics have a 60's look.  I think most store chains built new buildings in new shopping centers at that period.  I don't think many stores closed and were taken over by other chains.... with the help of Wal-Mart being a small regional chain back then ! ;)

C. Fontaine

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine
Here's an oldie, 1910.  Is this a Woolworth?
So what do you guys think?  I am just curious, because this store is now some kind of party planner store on downtown Main St. in the town next to me.  The photograph is from 1910.

Chris

I'm definent this is Woolworths. My aunt said it was the "Five and Dime" store back then.

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
The style of these two stores appears to be an early Woolco concept...
they look like this ames
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

AMESbalti/toledo

the pic of woolworth sign next to publics reminds me of time in my past .i first started inretail at G.C.MURPHY'S CO. in dundalk md. we had same sign letters on top of our store. but just as i left to go upto AMES. new shop center owners wanted uniform signs. so all those big letters went into basement store room. about 88. 90 i moved to toledo. ames sold murphy to McCORYS. When i went for visit in 2001, murphys gone. some store was in its place but door entrances had fancy walkways and gcmurphys logo was cemented into each doorway it was still there. dont know if letters are still in basement or not.

df559

That picture is a Woolworth store. It was originally called "F.W. Woolworth Company", later shortened to "Woolworth", much like Sears was originally called "Sears, Roebuck and Company" and was later shortened to just "Sears".

HoJofan206

Last time I was in a Woolworth's was in Jacksonville Illinois back in 1991.
That was a great little store located in the town square.  We had one here in Evansville that burned down in the early 1990's.

SomeBeach

I know of four Woolcos in Michigan. Centerpointe Mall (then Eastbrook Mall) in Grand Rapids had one; later Burlington Coat and other stores, it's now Linens & Things and more stores. One in Flint is now Value City Furniture; another is now a vacant Crowley's (half of which was briefly Old Navy) and more mall space. (Courtland Center) Also, Meridian Mall in Okemos had one -- it was later split between Service Merchandise and a food court. Service Merch was then demo'd for a Jacobson's, and the food court relocated. Well, Jacobson's is now Younkers, and the old food court is now a bookstore.

Anyone know of other Michigan locations,  Woolworth or Woolco?

XDeSuEhTX

I've never been in either of these stores. Did they have store locations for each store in every state of the US? I had never even heard of them before now.
"Ancient malls, overgrown like Roman ruins without the class, our generation will be remembered for our greatest works, our trinkets at Spencer Gifts"

Caldor1999

i went to a woolworth but not wollco they closed 5 years before i was born in 1988 anny ways all the wollworths around me were torn down to make something else the one in Pekskill was torn down to make a Stop & Shop and the outher in white planes witch also had a old Macys was torn down to make a new mall witch has a Office Max Filene's Basment Barns and Noble Cucrit City and Target
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

HoJofan206

I really liked the old Woolworth stores located in the downtown areas of many cities.  It is sad that they are ALL gone. :(

Caldor1999

hears  one of the Newer Woolco store from 1976
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

i belive this store became a Zayre and then Ames
Caldor Forever!

Caldor1999

cause it kinda looks like this store
Caldor Forever!