Started by store215, January 05, 2005, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ames#1171

Here is the recently opened Best Buy in the Steelyard Commons development:

Ames" border="0

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Ames#1171
Here is the recently opened Best Buy in the Steelyard Commons development

Are you sure this store is open? Sports a different variant for them...
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Ames#1171

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

Yep, I went inside and looked around.  It's a nice store, but smaller than a typical Best Buy is.
Ames" border="0

ameskmart1

Future Shop (Best Buy's Canada operation) in Edmonton, AB, taken in July
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

videogamer75

Best Buy is one of my favorite stores. I love the DVD and video game selection, and I like playing with the photo booth on the Apple iBooks they have set up in the store lol

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO

I'm sure its to fit in the theme of the center (eg. the steel making up the entrance), since it was built on an old steel yard.

videogamer75

Here is the Best buy in Vineland, NJ. a very small store.

videogamer75

Inside the Best Buy, computer and printer section

videogamer75

Wireless section and the home theater section at the vineland NJ Best Buy

standa

Best Buy will open in North Haven, CT on November 15.

Retail Fan+ (Justin Hill)

The Mall of America Best Buy prototype:
Bloomington (Minneapolis/St. Paul), Minnesota

Storefront:

Interior:

Advertisement found elsewhere inside the Mall of America:

Photos by "Four Star Cashier Nathan" of Flickr.

Marc82

I just read on their Facebook Page that they have opened 2 new stores in NYC. One in Flushing, Queens and one in Harlem.

retailisking

As is often the case with market leaders, it's lonely at the top; Walmart is going through similar problems.  Having vanquished virtually all of its direct competition, Best Buy is struggling to grow its top line, and online competitors are nibbling away at the margins.  About all they can do at this point is pursue international growth, but even that is no guarantee of success as their struggling venture in China has shown.

retailisking

Best Buy, locked into long-term leases but needing less floor space due to internet sales, looks to sublease some excess square footage
http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Best+Buy+%28BBY%29+Looking+to+Sublease+Extra+Floor+Space/6598543.html

dmx10101

Quote from: retailisking on June 25, 2011, 04:21:47 AM
Best Buy, locked into long-term leases but needing less floor space due to internet sales, looks to sublease some excess square footage
http://www.streetinsider.com/Corporate+News/Best+Buy+%28BBY%29+Looking+to+Sublease+Extra+Floor+Space/6598543.html

Sounds like the same thing Sears Holdings is doing with Kmart and Sears stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

ynkeesfn82

I think the one in Meriden, Connecticut (inside the Meriden Square Mall) is safe. It's already smaller than your average Best Buy store.

store215

Best Buy used to be fun to shop back in the mid-90's. But they are in some serious trouble for various reasons.

1. CD's/DVD's, and other physical media are all disappearing. People have iPods, Netflix, high speed internet, and other things now that don't require a physical disc. Video games should be safe for a while, but even games can be bought electronically. TV's are smaller (well, skinnier) and Desktop computers are getting replaced with smaller machines.

2. They are hardly ever the "best buy". Looking through the weekly ads, there is very little that draws me in. The joke is, Best Buy is a "showroom" for Amazon.com, Newegg and others. People browse, but buy where there is less pressure and they are getting the lowest price. Walmart and Target and the like sell the same name brand electronics for less. The whole recession does not help either. People are simply waiting on purchases.

3. Best Buy doesn't make much on what it sells. They rely on Geek Squad, fancy cables, and extended warranties for the real profits. People are getting fed up and are not buying the extras, or are buying them elsewhere. Look in-store for a basic HDMI cable. $15-25 regular price. Online? You can find them for $1.00. BestBuy.com has lower prices, but it can be a struggle getting them to match that price in-store.

4. Unhelpful salespeople. I don't really care about the sales help, but for older people who are not as tech-savvy, having a salesperson that at least knows the basics of what is on the shelf is what people want. Overall, the people at Best Buy can't even do that.

5. They overexpanded. Although not as bad as Circuit City in its final years, they have too many stores. Their stores were built too large to begin with and the costs of running it and all the salespeople means they can't really do a whole lot with prices without some serious cuts.

6. Too many products that don't really fit. Whenever I see the pitiful selection of office furniture and supplies, they are covered in dust. Nobody really in the major appliances section either...there is Sears, Lowe's, and others for those. They tried to add a high-end section, but that didn't bring people in. They tried musical instruments. Not real successful either. There are local stores that are able to do those things better. A

I could go on, but like most category big-box stores, they are in-trouble.

Zayre88

Good points MBZ321.

A couple years ago I thought that category big-box stores could handle two major players with the smaller ones finding it hard to stay alive:

- Best Buy / Circuit City + Tweeter
- Linens'nThings / Bed, Bath & Beyond
- Dick's / Sports Authority + Modell's
- Michael's / A.C.Moore
- Barnes & Noble / Borders + others (B.Dalton/Waldenbooks)

What is now happening is that in these categories even one of the first 2 major chains is closing and in some cases the big chain remaining is also in trouble!

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: Zayre88 on June 27, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
- Barnes & Noble / Borders + others (B.Dalton/Waldenbooks)[/b]

Barnes & Noble owned B. Dalton. Borders owns Waldenbooks.

Hudsons81

Quote from: ShopKoFan on March 27, 2010, 05:17:12 PM

For some reason, that logo is also used on the Oakwood Boulevard sign for the Fairlane Green shopping center in Allen Park, Michigan-however, all other street signage for that center and the store itself use the normal logo.

ynkeesfn82

Best Buy at The Westfield Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, CT is closing November 1st. They've closed other stores, but still plan on opening more.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/5723362-129/best-buy-to-close-meriden-mall-store-nov-1.html

Editor's Note: Is it time for Westfield to shutter the mall? JC Penney closed in May, plus there was already a big vacancy on the 2nd floor from Macy's to the jewelry store. And there are some smaller vacancies as well.

TheFugitive

Anyone else noticing the rash of store closings being listed on this site for November?

Like they aren't even going to try and milk one more Christmas out of them?

Hudsons81

Quote from: Marc B on September 29, 2014, 02:05:51 PM
Best Buy at The Westfield Meriden Square Mall in Meriden, CT is closing November 1st. They've closed other stores, but still plan on opening more.

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/5723362-129/best-buy-to-close-meriden-mall-store-nov-1.html

Editor's Note: Is it time for Westfield to shutter the mall? JC Penney closed in May, plus there was already a big vacancy on the 2nd floor from Macy's to the jewelry store. And there are some smaller vacancies as well.

That's quite unusual for a chain to close stores Sears/Kmart style while still in a position to open brand new stores.

TRU7536

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 29, 2014, 02:25:04 PM
Anyone else noticing the rash of store closings being listed on this site for November?

You would think, but I see where these retailers are coming from. They don't want to bring in new products and just want to flesh out whatever they have in stock. Also, Xmas time means longer hours and hiring more employees which is just more money and resources for whatever location that is closing.

TheFugitive

Either that or they are strapped for cash to purchase inventory and can't afford to
spread it around too thinly.   Either way the macroeconomics of it aren't good.

BillyGr

Quote from: TheFugitive on September 29, 2014, 02:25:04 PM

Kmart has been closing stores at all different times of year due to leases being up and not renewing them.

Is it possible that some of these stores are in the same position (in that, in order to stay open through Christmas they'd have to renew a lease and might not be able to do so for just a couple months)?

ynkeesfn82

TRU7536

Quote from: Marc B on October 15, 2014, 11:46:21 AM
Best Buy has signed a 2 year lease renewal to remain at The Westfield Meriden Sqaure Mall. \

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/news/latestnews/5859329-129/best-buy-in-westfield-meriden-mall-to-remain-open.html

Meriden mall was probably really desperate and lowered their rent probably by a lot. A two year is a small term lease agreement, but best buy will see how sales will go.

100% the sales at that store were bad.

ynkeesfn82

Best Buy is closing two stores in Massachusetts. One at the Berkshire Mall in Lanesborough and one at the Hampshire Mall in Hadley.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/local/ci_28764021/berkshire-mall-owners-see-best-buy-closing-an