Main Menu

Ames Barre, VT

Started by gu4ever, June 03, 2009, 05:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gu4ever

June, 2009. Well look what I stumbled upon driving through Vermont, I had been in Montpelier and was driving to Barre to  visit the former glorious Grand Union that now is divided into 2 retail stores. The shopping center is called Ames Plaza,  this sign was in excellent condition, so much so that it would give you the impression that Ames was still open for business. However once you drive over to that side of the shopping center, it clearly shows NO ONE, goes over there or drives over there! Grass was growing up through the black top everywhere. The letter A sadly has been damaged and worse yet, the Dollar Tree store is utilizing Ames carriages as their shopping carts. Now this would be fine except they have scared them and put stickers with their store logo on them.  :(
The interior of the store was very impressive, marketing and graphics still remain hanging, and lots of fixtures are still scattered about. One of the pictures show allot of reflection, however I was impressed with the fixture that said "Ames Area Rugs" and needed to capture that. The door decals are still in fairly good shape after all this time, and the rear of the shopping center was clean and spotless, no dumping, graffiti or old fixtures of any kind. This location is on Route 302 in Berlin, VT. If anyone is in the area it's defiantly worth a look, and with all those fixtures and graphics inside, it's to bad they don't offer a fixture sale to clean the space out!!
There is a lot in store for you where clean, fresh and good make a GRAND UNION.

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever

gu4ever

Zayre88

That's nice, and interesting to see that they left everything inside, this store is frozen in time, in 2002.

C. Fontaine

In the photo gallery!

jmcnamara96

chris y arent any i gave you lowell mass lounderry nh in the photo gallery

C. Fontaine

Been busy sorry J.  Can you send me the link to the thread you posted them in?  I will put them up.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
June, 2009. Well look what I stumbled upon driving through Vermont, I had been in Montpelier and was driving to Barre to  visit the former glorious Grand Union that now is divided into 2 retail stores. The shopping center is called Ames Plaza,  this sign was in excellent condition, so much so that it would give you the impression that Ames was still open for business. However once you drive over to that side of the shopping center, it clearly shows NO ONE, goes over there or drives over there! Grass was growing up through the black top everywhere. The letter A sadly has been damaged and worse yet, the Dollar Tree store is utilizing Ames carriages as their shopping carts. Now this would be fine except they have scared them and put stickers with their store logo on them.  :(
The interior of the store was very impressive, marketing and graphics still remain hanging, and lots of fixtures are still scattered about. One of the pictures show allot of reflection, however I was impressed with the fixture that said "Ames Area Rugs" and needed to capture that. The door decals are still in fairly good shape after all this time, and the rear of the shopping center was clean and spotless, no dumping, graffiti or old fixtures of any kind. This location is on Route 302 in Berlin, VT. If anyone is in the area it's defiantly worth a look, and with all those fixtures and graphics inside, it's to bad they don't offer a fixture sale to clean the space out!!

they have been trying to put a HOme depot there

C. Fontaine

gu4ever

August 2009,  returned to Vermont and captured more photos of Grand Union stores.
Stopped at the AMES store in Barre, VT. and had the great fortune to get some additional interior shots of this store.

gu4ever

Checkout counters #1 and #2

gu4ever

Checkout counters  1 thru 4.

gu4ever

gu4ever

One last look at the checkouts!!

Zayre88

Time really stopped in 2002 at that Ames...

Here's a picture from Redstone Investments:

http://www.redstoneinvestments.com/index.php?s=&p=redstone&v=propertydetails;28#gallery

GothicPrincess

incredible photos. I miss Ames...
Jaime...BRADLEES FOREVER!!!

alltheamesyouneed

QuoteOriginally posted by gu4ever
One last look at the checkouts!!

This brings back so many memories! I never went to this Ames, but of course they all looked basically the same. I miss those check out counters. :hurt:

gu4ever

Renovations begin on the Ames store of Barre, VT.

TRJ22487

http://www.youtube.com/v/eq1JZSDyRHA&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Good thing I shot this video last year of what it was like to drive there as an Ames

gu4ever

Quote from: TRJ22487 on April 29, 2010, 06:05:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/eq1JZSDyRHA&hl=en_US&fs=1&

Good thing I shot this video last year of what it was like to drive there as an Ames
I totally thought of you when I drove into the parking lot of this store and so the building torn apart and the sign gone. It's great you actually captured that location on video and shared it with all the Ames enthusiast!

TRJ22487

From Google Maps, while it was still an Ames. Tough to make out.