Ocean State Job Lot

Started by palooza68, January 07, 2005, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palooza68

DISSCUS

tokensafari

i don't like them.. they seem cheaper than Big Lots, and that sucks!

Zayre88

Wow, cheaper than Big Lots !!!:tumble:

C. Fontaine

They do a great job of preserving many Ames stores though.  They even use Ames's fixtures, signs, etc...!

amesman

anybody have a picture of one of their stores?

Anonymous

ive bought stuff there

its alright

amesman

C. Fontaine

Heres a newly Ames turned Job Lot in Jewett City, CT.  It was one of my favorite looking Ames.

http://www.amesfanclub.com/imageserver/connecticut/jewett.city/jewett.city.htm">Jewett City

Anonymous

PLEASE - Whoever is doing this, stop with the pointless quote posts.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
PLEASE - Whoever is doing this, stop with the pointless quote posts.

Well who are you?

hmmm?:mrpink::mrpink::mrpink::mrpink::mrpink::mrpink::rolleyes:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

One thing I have a problem with O.S.J.L. is that they buy former stores carts AND TRY TO SCRIBBLE OVER OR PASTE THEIR NAME OVER THEM to try to claim it was always their carts AND TRY TO HIDE THE FACT THAT THERE WERE STORES THAT WENT OUT OF BUSINESS they don't want you to know there was Caldor,Ames,or Bradlees here before.

This comes along to me as cheap

WHY DON'T THEY UNCOVER THE NAME OF THE FORMER STORE ON THE WAGONS CHANGE THEIR NAME TO Ocean State Memory Lane Savings to make sure PEOPLE DON'T FORGET THESE AND BRING THEM BACK TO A SIMILAR FAMILARITY.

or they could just order their own custom carts but that wouldn't be as much fun!:duh:

lol :insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

THEY COULD ALSO CHANGE THEIR BOOOORRING LOGO LOL:insane:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
One thing I have a problem with O.S.J.L. is that they buy former stores carts AND TRY TO SCRIBBLE OVER OR PASTE THEIR NAME OVER THEM to try to claim it was always their carts AND TRY TO HIDE THE FACT THAT THERE WERE STORES THAT WENT OUT OF BUSINESS they don't want you to know there was Caldor,Ames,or Bradlees here before.

WHY DON'T THEY UNCOVER THE NAME OF THE FORMER STORE ON THE WAGONS CHANGE THEIR NAME TO Ocean State Memory Lane Savings to make sure PEOPLE DON'T FORGET THESE AND BRING THEM BACK TO A SIMILAR FAMILARITY.

or they could just order their own custom carts but that wouldn't be as much fun!:duh:

OR maybe keep the former stores name and put their name with it !

EX. former Ames's Ocean State Job Lot
former Caldor's Ocean State Job Lot
former Bradlees's Ocean State Job Lot
and this one he he
former Kmart's Ocean State Job Lot
LLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!:insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane::insane:

C. Fontaine

They don't just scribble out the name, sometimes they permanently scar the carts for life by scraping the logos off and replacing the cart handles...  This is evident in pictures from former Ames turned Job Lots.

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by C. Fontaine

They don't just scribble out the name, sometimes they permanently scar the carts for life by scraping the logos off and replacing the cart handles...  This is evident in pictures from former Ames turned Job Lots.

STILLLLLLLLLL!

That comes along to me as being cheap!:mad::flaming:

dayville81

Remember Ames A+ logo? OSJL still has registers that have the A+ logo at the former Ames. Ive seen them at Jewett City and Old Saybrook. Both stores you can tell that OSJL did not take over the whole Ames salesfloor. Jewett City they installed a wall in the back and on left. They are renting the left space out to Tractor Supply Inc while they expanded the stock room to the back of the sales floor. Old Saybrook is really weird because they walled off a good portion of the store on the left side (most of which they dont even use as a stock room) and walled off a section on the right side.

Crawford

These are starting to pop up like weeds. I only go in here for replacement tv remotes and packing tape. Like any type of overstock store, one has to come here frequently to find anything. Basic rule in OSJL, grab it now or give it up forever

Job Lots I know of

East Providence RI--this first started in the Gansett plaza in the former Adams Drugstore. Place was very crowded and merchandise often tumbled into the aisles. Yes I was a burial victim. Moved into Save-Rite (Service Merchandise type of store) which had originally been a Grants. Oddly enough when OSJL remodeled the store, they pretty much made it look as Grants once did. When I first went in, I actually looked for the lunch counter

Seekonk Mass--former Paperama. This is a better Job Lot in my opinion. Better choice of merchandise.

Lincoln RI--located in former Almacs Supermarket outparcel at Lincoln Mall

There used to be one in North Providence but I am unaware of what happened to it as the plaza it was in was demolished and totally rebuilt
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

dayville81

Job Lots in Eastern CT

Willimantic - (Route 32/Willimantic Plaza near Route 6 Expressway) Former Shop Rite, one of the biggest and most organized and well-stocked stores I have been in. The whole shopping center went under a large renovation project in the late 90's. Also anchored by BJ's and Family Dollar

Jewett City - (Route 164 near I-395) Former Ames, a pretty well stocked store, one of the nicest in the area

Groton - (Route 1/Groton Shoppers Mall - a strip mall near I-95) Former TJ Maxx, whole shopping center recently renovated. Large Big Y took over a small Stop & Shop store and a very old Woolworths. Store is small but organized.

Ledyard - (Route 12/Riverside Mall) Former discount department store. Cleaner and more organized than it used to be. Tend to be quite busy much of the time. Also in shopping center with Val-U Supermarket.

Madison - (Route 1 near I-95) Former grocery store. Somewhat disorganized and dirty for a store in such a richy community. Has weird low ceilings in parts of store. Parts of store went under some type of renovation.

Old Saybrook - (Route 1 near I-95) Former Ames. Pretty nice store, quite organized and fairly well-stocked. Has helped nearby shopping center with more stores moving in

Brooklyn - (Route 6/Brooklyn Commons near I-395) Former fabric store. Small store, somewhat dirty. Next to a bowling alley and a Salvation Army Thrift Store.

dayville81

Forgot to mention the Manchester one. They are located near I-384, the opposite end of town than the Buckland Hills Mall. They are in a shopping center near Pep Boys and a few small stores. There used to be a K-mart at the other end but it closed in one of the round of closings. Probably because Wal-Mart and Target at the other end of town hurt them since most people go out there to do their shopping than come to this end of town where there isnt a lot of shopping except Shop Rite.

d_fife

here is ocean state job lots where Rich's was in middleboro mass. ocean state has replaced a lot of ames'

from http://www.kgiproperties.com/properties/location/21/

d_fife

here is the recently opened ocean state job lots in belfast maine and is the first one in maine.

beachgal26

I live in the south, so I have never seen one of these stores for myself.  Since they have taken over most of the former Ames locations in many areas, did Ocean State Job Lot form after the Ames had closed and does anyone know a little of their history to help me out.  Thanks!

:)  :) :) :)  :)

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
I live in the south, so I have never seen one of these stores for myself.  Since they have taken over most of the former Ames locations in many areas, did Ocean State Job Lot form after the Ames had closed and does anyone know a little of their history to help me out.  Thanks!

:)  :) :) :)  :)

OCean state job lot formed well before Ames went out. There are a lot of ocean state job lots in the Cape cod and rhode island and southeastern mass. they just replaced a lot of former ames and used the former ames as a way to expand more.

eagle1960

Zayre88

i'm not sure, but maybe OSJL could be the "unnamed retailer" that will replace yet another Ames in a small New England town.  Ames in Millinocket Maine.

"Andy Rosenthal, who manages the Ames property, said he expects to close a lease deal with a retail chain within the next month. He declined to identify the chain, but said it was a multistate retail outfit of 20 or more stores."

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=136474

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
i'm not sure, but maybe OSJL could be the "unnamed retailer" that will replace yet another Ames in a small New England town.  Ames in Millinocket Maine.

"Andy Rosenthal, who manages the Ames property, said he expects to close a lease deal with a retail chain within the next month. He declined to identify the chain, but said it was a multistate retail outfit of 20 or more stores."

http://www.bangornews.com/news/templates/?a=136474

I have a picture of that ames in the ames section. the ames looked old and that would be the place for ocean state job lots.  but it is possible it is not ocean state job lots, we will have to wait and see. it said the property will be revitalized and the wal-mart in lincoln is 35 miles away.

Marc82

They are the only store left in the now-vacant Bristol Centre Mall in Bristol, Connecticut. The refuse to leave and is suing the city of Bristol, which owns the mall. Their claim is that it was illegal for the city to come in and tell them their lease was null and void. I've spoken to many people - lawyers and non-lawywes alike and they say it's perfectly legal for a new landloard to make all the leases null and void and kick out all the tenants, provided they're given adequate notice, which the City of Bristol did. Meanwhile on Black Friday 2005 they opened their 2nd Bristol store in the former Super Stop & Shop Supermarket on Route 6.  It's bigger, nicer, and better organized than the mall store. I say it's time for them to get out of the mall.

All this bs with Job Lot is costing taxpayers money since the city owns the mall. Once the lawsuit is finished and Job Lot is gone, the city will tear down the mall and sell the property to private developers.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
They are the only store left in the now-vacant Bristol Centre Mall in Bristol, Connecticut. The refuse to leave and is suing the city of Bristol, which owns the mall. Their claim is that it was illegal for the city to come in and tell them their lease was null and void. I've spoken to many people - lawyers and non-lawywes alike and they say it's perfectly legal for a new landloard to make all the leases null and void and kick out all the tenants, provided they're given adequate notice, which the City of Bristol did. Meanwhile on Black Friday 2005 they opened their 2nd Bristol store in the former Super Stop & Shop Supermarket on Route 6.  It's bigger, nicer, and better organized than the mall store. I say it's time for them to get out of the mall.

All this bs with Job Lot is costing taxpayers money since the city owns the mall. Once the lawsuit is finished and Job Lot is gone, the city will tear down the mall and sell the property to private developers.

I agree. This location needs to go. That mall needs to go as well. North Main Street is undergoing a revitalization and it can't be done until they scrap what's ugly down there (the mall and that dingy supermarket next door). Do they really need two Job Lots a few miles apart from each other?
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

the one in manchester Ct in the old kmart plaza near the east hartford line.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
the one in manchester Ct in the old kmart plaza near the east hartford line.

wethersfield Ct one near rocky hill.