Ocean State Job Lot

Started by palooza68, January 07, 2005, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington1

The store looks nice inside, but that's probably because it was Stop and Shop. That's surprising to see that OSJL didn't want to keep this location. This is a great plaza, roadway and space to locate a business. I've been to this plaza and visited the old Stop and Shop and the new one, and have been to the chinese buffet, Dollar Tree and also to Bradlees and Woolworth when they were open. Route 6 is a great location. I hope some other store moves in fast.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington1
The store looks nice inside, but that's probably because it was Stop and Shop.

I like this one better than the one in Southington, which is where I live. A couple of my Southington friends like this one better too.

QuoteThat's surprising to see that OSJL didn't want to keep this location.

The landlord didn't want to renew OSJL's lease. They referred to them as a "Problematic Tenant". They claim ever since OSJL moved in there's been a rat problem in the plaza.

QuoteThis is a great plaza, roadway and space to locate a business. I've been to this plaza and visited the old Stop and Shop and the new one, and have been to the chinese buffet, Dollar Tree and also to Bradlees and Woolworth when they were open. Route 6 is a great location. I hope some other store moves in fast.

The Chinese Buffet is awesome. In fact that's the whole reason I went to the plaza Sunday night. My best friend treated me for my XMAS Gift. My best friend and I hope that BEST BUY will open there. I also hope Border's will move in.

AmesNewington1

The Chinese Buffet is awesome. In fact that's the whole reason I went to the plaza Sunday night. My best friend treated me for my XMAS Gift. My best friend and I hope that BEST BUY will open there. I also hope Border's will move in.[/quote]

Agreed! My grandparents treated us to the buffet a few times although my family usually goes to the Plainville Imperial Buffet.

The OSJL spot is not big enough for a Target? That's a great store and it would do very well on Farmington Ave. One thing that should be done is they could expand the building in to that little side parking lot that I remember from when S&S was there. Is there two Webster Banks in the plaza? I thought I saw a second one next to Ocean State.

Once again, you are lucky to be near such a great shopping area. Route 6 is one step up from the Berlin Turnpike. Wow, having Stop and Shop, Shop Rite, Shaw's and Price Chopper on one street, that's insane! I love that Stop and Shop in Bristol. The Berlin S&S is similar to that one.

And Marc, I said it before and I'll say it again, the Southington Price Chopper is fabulous! You're lucky to work there. The Newington store pales in comparison. Southington's donut display is impressive.

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington1
my family usually goes to the Plainville Imperial Buffet.

Imperial is nice, but it's pricey. Plus they serve your beverage in small little glasses so they need to be refilled constantly.

QuoteThe OSJL spot is not big enough for a Target? That's a great store and it would do very well on Farmington Ave. One thing that should be done is they could expand the building in to that little side parking lot that I remember from when S&S was there.

I was wondering myself if they could expand the building to take over that side parking lot. Target wanted to build on The Avenue next to BIG LOTS, but they would've need to buy 2 acres of park land from the city and then replace that 2 acres. So that deal died.

QuoteIs there two Webster Banks in the plaza?

Not exactly. Next to Job Lot is the bank. The other "Webster Bank" is the drive-thru window.

QuoteAnd Marc, I said it before and I'll say it again, the Southington Price Chopper is fabulous! You're lucky to work there. The Newington store pales in comparison. Southington's donut display is impressive.

The one in Bristol is horrible. My best friend and I were absolutely appalled with how dirty, gross, and disgusting it was. Every table in the food court was dirty. The bathroom was dirty. The Soda Fountain was dirty.  And the donuts didn't look too appealing.

Marc82

UPDATE:

JOB LOT on Route 6 Farmington Avenue is closing on January 20. They hope to take over TJ MAXX's location in the plaza. And I get the impression from this article that TJ MAXX is gonna take over JOB LOT's location in the plaza.

http://www.bristolpress.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FTBP%2FHome&r21.content=%2FTBP%2FHome%2FContentTab_Feature_1366328

XISMZERO

BRISTOL, CT / RT. 6.

The store is closing in a week and a half. It was originally Super Stop & Shop, which moved to the former Bradlees spot.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

COLLINSVILLE, CT.

Undoubtedly the nicest Job Lot in Connecticut. Was formerly office space, and it was when I had to practice parking for my driver school I took back in 2002.

There are tons of Bradlees carts used here.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

GALES FERRY, CT and near the GROTON line.

It's in a dilapidated plaza.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

GALES FERRY, CT. The road sign.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

BRISTOL, CT / NORTH MAIN ST. / CENTRE MALL

Currently vacant, the mall is to be demolished any day now...
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

Marc82

Update: Nick and I went to Job Lot on  Farmington Ave in Bristol today to get pictures of the final day and they were already closed despite the newspaper article saying the last day was gonna be Sunday The 20th. Almost everything has been cleared out of the store already. Nick and I will be posting our pictures of the closed store soon. I need to find the wire to hook my camera up to my computer first. And Nick is gonna be busy for a while.

Marc82

Closed Bristol, CT Farmington Avenue Job Lot. Taken 1/20/08.

Marc82

Closed Bristol, CT Farmington Avenue Job Lot. Taken 1/20/08.

XISMZERO

Bristol, Connecticut.

They were supposed to close on Sunday (Jan. 20), but I guess they closed up earlier than expected.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

Bristol, CT. Caught this Job Lot trailer leaving the lot on their day of closing. "The End" indeed!
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

XISMZERO

"Store Closed 4 Good." I'll miss this place. Since the lot was mostly dead, I used to be able to sit here and eat lunch in my car inbetween classes because it was nice and quiet.
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
"Store Closed 4 Good." I'll miss this place. Since the lot was mostly dead, I used to be able to sit here and eat lunch in my car inbetween classes because it was nice and quiet.

Thats a nice sign they got there.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

farmingtonvalleymall

QuoteOriginally posted by XISMZERO
COLLINSVILLE, CT.

Undoubtedly the nicest Job Lot in Connecticut. Was formerly office space, and it was when I had to practice parking for my driver school I took back in 2002.

There are tons of Bradlees carts used here.

Here's what I know (or think I know) of this Ocean State site. There was a local hardware company in "downtown" Collinsville on the river across from the Post Office. They were the Minor Lumber Co. At some point business was so good for them they decided to expand, bought and built up the spot just off Rt 202/Rt44. They way overplayed their hand as some Home Depots and then Blowes showed up in nearby towns, Minors was toast. The current Ocean State building was Minor Lumbers main store building but they lasted only a few years there. The building was vacant for several years until Ocean State showed up.  Whats left of Minors is still there behind Ocean State.

RogerAnthony

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
The Ocean State Job Lot in Berlin CT.

The boarded up part with the oval "openings" is the old brick design the plaza had until the late 90s.

The boarded up part with the oval openings is the former Berlin Cine 1 & 2.

beachgal26

Very classy sign "closed 4 good" but I have to wonder why there are always seagulls in the parking lot??

:insane:

Marc82

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgal26
but I have to wonder why there are always seagulls in the parking lot??

Always been like that. Even when it was Super Stop & Shop.

Zayre88

They're opening another store in Maine, this time in Bangor in 1/3 of the former Ames at the Airport Mall.

http://www.oceanstatejoblot.com/osjlprod/locate/store_info.aspx?store=472

Marc82

First Store opening in Vermont in April.

What's New at Job Lot?

* We are pleased to announce our 1st store in (St. Johnsbury), Vermont to open April 2008!

AmesNewington

Ocean State Job Lot plans to re-open in Bristol CT this November. This news comes directly from their homepage:

www.oceanstatejoblot.com

In the lower left hand corner there is a scroll down news box announcing future openings.

Very interesting. Although, I have no idea where. The site mentions no location as of yet.

patk

a Job Lot will open in Fishkill, NY in August!

Marc82

Ocean State Job Lot plans to re-open in Bristol CT this November. This news comes directly from their homepage:

www.oceanstatejoblot.com

In the lower left hand corner there is a scroll down news box announcing future openings.

Very interesting. Although, I have no idea where. The site mentions no location as of yet.

The rumors in and around Bristol is they're gonna replace TJ MAXX which was D&L back in the day. TJ MAXX is rumored to be taken the old JOB LOT which was originaly Stop & Shop.  And they demolished most of the old building.

AmesNewington

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82

www.oceanstatejoblot.com

The rumors in and around Bristol is they're gonna replace TJ MAXX which was D&L back in the day. TJ MAXX is rumored to be taken the old JOB LOT which was originaly Stop & Shop.  And they demolished most of the old building.

I knew about the TJ Maxx building, and I hope OSJL invests in their new Bristol location. Give the building they acquire a nice design. If they re-opened Meriden with a fancy look, they should do it with Bristol, especially with its reputation in Bristol, bad and good.

RogerAnthony

I was driving along Lakewood Road in Waterbury today when suddenly I  
see an unexpected Ocean State Job Lot sign.  It seems they are turning the former Roller Magic skating rink, along with adjacent stores such as Fascia's Chocolates into an Ocean State Job Lot.  You can still see the "SKATING" labelscar underneath the sign on one side of the building.

I read before that this OSJL will replace the one down the road on Chase Ave.  The one on Chase Ave. will become some new "concept outlet."  Article at http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:c0I-OYIqY2gJ:rep-am.com/articles/2008/07/18/news/349080.txt+ocean+state+job+lot+waterbury+rep-am.com&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a.

RogerAnthony