Safeway

Started by Caldor1999, January 09, 2005, 04:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caldor1999

ok it's kida a funny Name for a super market.
there a mid western chain theres none around here i been to one out in colrodo back in 1997
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory

store215

Safeway stores in PA/NJ/DE are known as "Genuardi's". Safeway bought 40 or so stores (all have been newly built or heavily remodeled)  from the Genuardi family in 2001...and completely turned the chain to $h1t. They raised the prices of everything, (Genuardi's prices were high to begin with...safeway made them worse)  They also did this with another chain they bought in the mid-west.

As a side note, there are many Safeway branded stores in the Wash, D.C. Area.

tokensafari

I didn't know they owned Tom Thumb and Pick n Save!

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
ok it's kida a funny Name for a super market.
there a mid western chain theres none around here i been to one out in colrodo back in 1997

yeah it is a funny name never knew why it became to be named "safeway"

df559

Inside a 1960's Safeway...

df559

Inside a 1980's Safeway...

df559

Outside 1980's Safeway

df559

Inside 1980's Safeway, meat department

df559

1980 Safeway TV ad...

thedisneystore967

safeway is the 2nd largest chain of grocery stores by my house. The first is Giant Food which ( i don't think...) has any relation to Giant Eagle.....

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by thedisneystore967
safeway is the 2nd largest chain of grocery stores by my house. The first is Giant Food which ( i don't think...) has any relation to Giant Eagle.....

Nope, the Giant in MD has no connection to "Giant Eagle", but it is connected to the "Giant" chain in PA.

Ahold operates all these under different names:
-Stop and Shop
-Giant (PA)
-Giant (MD) (There are rumors these and SuperG may be rebadged as Stop and Shop in a few years)
-Super G (Which is really just another banner of Giant(MD), but in NJ and DE)
-Tops

The above stores are all part of the same co.

BillyGr

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Nope, the Giant in MD has no connection to "Giant Eagle", but it is connected to the "Giant" chain in PA.

Ahold operates all these under different names:
-Stop and Shop
-Giant (PA)
-Giant (MD) (There are rumors these and SuperG may be rebadged as Stop and Shop in a few years)
-Super G (Which is really just another banner of Giant(MD), but in NJ and DE)
-Tops

The above stores are all part of the same co.

And to add to the confusion - Giant (PA) also operates stores under the Martins name (or maybe to help the confusion since they seem to use this in locations close to MD Giant stores - or at least sometimes).

I note (per store locators at the sites) a MD Giant (under Super G) in Trenton NJ and a PA Giant in Allentown - about 50 miles apart.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

And to add to the confusion - Giant (PA) also operates stores under the Martins name (or maybe to help the confusion since they seem to use this in locations close to MD Giant stores - or at least sometimes).

I note (per store locators at the sites) a MD Giant (under Super G) in Trenton NJ and a PA Giant in Allentown - about 50 miles apart.

Oops, I forgot about Martin's too. The purpose of Martin's was for the "Giant (PA)" stores in western PA where "Giant Eagle" operates. (I think Martin's was another chain that Giant-PA Bought) They used the Martin's name to prevent confusion, again. I think they also use the Martin's name in parts of MD now. It is not uncommon to see "Martins" paper/plastic bags in a Giant (PA) store.

They should just rename everything Stop and Shop:bigsmile:

Anonymous

MBZ321, was the Genuardi's in the picture with the old logo in West Chester, PA? If it is then the logo was updated at some point, but the store was relocated in 2003.

ameskmart1

Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

Lodi, California
Defunct Stores of My Past: Ernst/Buttrey Food & Drug/Bi-Lo IGA/Excell Foods/Hennessy's/Mervyns/Troutman's Emporium/B. Dalton/Circuit City/Best/The Bon Marche/Montgomery Ward/Malmo Nursery/United Furniture Warehouse/Future Shop/HomeBase/KB Toys/Pic 'n' Save/Tidyman's/Heilig-Meyers/Mac's Hobby & Craft

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Safeway Grand Opening

pubdog

Here are some pics of my former neighborhood Safeway, 9145 Riggs Rd. (Metzerott Plaza, home of the Golden Bull!), Adelphi, MD 20783.  It closed Nov 4, 2006 after serving the community for over 30 years.  The staff and management will be sorely missed by those of us who relied on their service and kindness.  By the time I got around to taking these pictures, all reminders that it was a Safeway were gone except for the hours of operation sticker on the outside and the clock hanging from the ceiling.  Many rumors surrounded the store's closing including increased rent (a McDonalds in the same plaza closed this past summer), Safeway corporation's desire to weed out small stores (another small Safeway in Hyattsville is also supposed to be closed soon), and the coming of a new high-end gourmet Safeway just a few miles away.  

Ted

pubdog

ameskmart1

Safeway in Canada

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

ameskmart1

Former Kmart Foods/Safeway/Pic 'N Save/MacFrugal's in Missoula, MT, taken in March 2007

wiseguy93

A fomer Safeway. Now a Gold's Gym

Mobil

The newer Safeway logo, used since 2005, is UGLY!!!

Joeg

why are they so expensive?? It looks to me that they don't even match competive grand openings.