Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmesNewington

Quote from: retailisking on October 26, 2016, 07:10:31 PM
The brand comes from Topco, the collective that Price Chopper is a member of. Switching to a Topco-owned brand for household items is part of Price Chopper's effort to phase out the Price Chopper brand as PC transitions to the Market 32 banner. The banners introduced the PICS brand for food products earlier this year.
http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-business/article/Price-Chopper-adds-new-brand-line-9961465.php

I've seen the Simply Done brand also in Big Y. They sell Topco brand products like PC has done (Top Care, Electronix, Academix, etc.)

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on October 26, 2016, 07:10:31 PM
The brand comes from Topco, the collective that Price Chopper is a member of. Switching to a Topco-owned brand for household items is part of Price Chopper's effort to phase out the Price Chopper brand as PC transitions to the Market 32 banner. The banners introduced the PICS brand for food products earlier this year.
http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-business/article/Price-Chopper-adds-new-brand-line-9961465.php

Sort of surprising that they don't just use the Pics label for all the store brands that formerly used Price Chopper, rather than carrying items that are also in competing stores (at least in some of their areas).

Also notice that the PiCs gives tribute to the former name, as all the packages I've seen the letters P and C are in a color that stands out more than the I and S do (making the well know nickname for Price Chopper) - similar to their use of Central Market Classics did for their original store name.

BillyGr

Article in the Times Union (of Albany, NY) today that there are rumors that Albertson's Companies are in talks and close to making a deal to purchase the Price Chopper chain.

Seems like a reasonably good fit between their existing Shaw's and Acme divisions (with Acme having moved into southern NY with the purchase of several A&P stores).

Some potential overlap in VT (for instance a town like Manchester where Shaw's & PC are the two existing stores) and Eastern MA (Worcester) areas - not sure about any in PA with Acme, probably not any (maybe 1 or 2 at most) with those new Acme's in southern NY.
For the VT areas, perhaps a sale of the overlaps to someone like Tops (they have a few scattered stores from the GU leftovers in towns up there) - could they also look at the stores in the MA area (having bought that one seemingly odd Hannaford/S&S store out there recently with that merger)?

retailisking

An Albertsons buy would be a sad end for Price Chopper, if for no other reason than 24-hour operations, which has been their calling card for decades, would cease. That said, the Golubs painted themselves into a corner with their Market 32 rebannering effort, and clearly they don't have the resources to pull it off on their own. But will Albertsons put any more money into the effort than the Golubs did? Shaw's is withering on the vine from lack of spending on store upkeep, renovations and staffing as it is.

If Market Basket was the acquisitive type, one could see the possibility of them improving their market penetration of the Worcester area as well as the Upper Vallley of New Hampshire or even a first presence in Vermont. That said, it appears Tops is in the driver's seat as far as any sell-offs are concerned.

giantsfan2016

Quote from: retailisking on November 30, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
An Albertsons buy would be a sad end for Price Chopper, if for no other reason than 24-hour operations, which has been their calling card for decades, would cease.

The Berlin Turnpike Store in Newington, Connecticut ceased 24 hour operations early in 2016. They are now open 6AM-1AM.

Market 32 in Torrington is now open 5AM-1AM. I believe they were a 24 hour store previously.

The one by UCONN in Mansfield never was 24 hours and is open 6AM-1:30AM.

And the new Market 32 in Oxford is open 6AM-12AM.

The remaining stores in Connecticut - Bristol, Southington, Windsor, Vermn, and Middletown are still 24 hour locations.

retailisking

Quote from: Marc B on December 01, 2016, 03:16:37 PM
The Berlin Turnpike Store in Newington, Connecticut ceased 24 hour operations early in 2016. They are now open 6AM-1AM.

Market 32 in Torrington is now open 5AM-1AM. I believe they were a 24 hour store previously.

Now that you mention it, a number of previously 24-hour locations have trimmed their hours, and not just in Connecticut. Still, I have little doubt that round-the-clock operating hours would be a quick casualty of Albertsons ownership for those remaining.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on December 02, 2016, 01:38:48 AM
Quote from: Marc B on December 01, 2016, 03:16:37 PM

Now that you mention it, a number of previously 24-hour locations have trimmed their hours, and not just in Connecticut. Still, I have little doubt that round-the-clock operating hours would be a quick casualty of Albertsons ownership for those remaining.

Yes, that has happened with quite a few even in their home areas - probably just not enough business to warrant having the staff there for it.

retailisking

Times Union columnist makes the point that the loss of local ownership would have a negative impact on headcount in Schenectady, likely result in store closures, lessen local philanthropy and result in profits leaving the area.
http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-local/article/Churchill-Price-Chopper-sale-would-be-terrible-10646168.php

mvcg66b3r

Quote from: retailisking on December 02, 2016, 06:14:13 PM
Times Union columnist makes the point that the loss of local ownership would have a negative impact on headcount in Schenectady, likely result in store closures, lessen local philanthropy and result in profits leaving the area.
http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-local/article/Churchill-Price-Chopper-sale-would-be-terrible-10646168.php

Paywall
James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland

retailisking

Quote from: mvcg66b3r on December 04, 2016, 04:02:20 PM
Quote from: retailisking on December 02, 2016, 06:14:13 PM

Paywall

If you do a Google News search under the title "Churchill: Price Chopper sale would be terrible blow for region" you should be able to read it.

danfifepsu

whats going on w price chopper?

giantsfan2016

Quote from: danfifepsu on December 05, 2016, 07:45:46 AM

They're struggling. Slowing sales and the high costs of converting all their stores to the Market 32 brand. The Golub Family is looking at selling the company to Albertsons (Shaw's, Star, Acme, etc).

buzz86us

Quote from: Marc B on December 05, 2016, 10:54:52 PM
Quote from: danfifepsu on December 05, 2016, 07:45:46 AM

They're struggling. Slowing sales and the high costs of converting all their stores to the Market 32 brand. The Golub Family is looking at selling the company to Albertsons (Shaw's, Star, Acme, etc).
well they have to change their name from Price Chopper now that their prices suck in comparison to Aldi and Wal-Mart

giantsfan2016

If Albertson's does buy Price Chopper I wonder if they will continue the Market 32 rebrand  or if they'll change them all to Shaw's, ACME, or Star Market. Also if they make them Shaw's, ACME, or Star will they downsize their stores in Southington, Bristol, and Vernon Connecticut. Those 3 are some of the largest Price Chopper. Vernon is 98,000 Sq Ft, Southington is 95,000, and Bristol is around 86,000.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on December 06, 2016, 05:15:31 PM
If Albertson's does buy Price Chopper I wonder if they will continue the Market 32 rebrand  or if they'll change them all to Shaw's, ACME, or Star Market. Also if they make them Shaw's, ACME, or Star will they downsize their stores in Southington, Bristol, and Vernon Connecticut. Those 3 are some of the largest Price Chopper. Vernon is 98,000 Sq Ft, Southington is 95,000, and Bristol is around 86,000.

If they were to change the name from Price Chopper and not do Market 32 in CT, I can see them using ACME since there are now ACME stores in Fairfield County when they bought them from A&P.

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on December 06, 2016, 07:33:40 PM

If they were to change the name from Price Chopper and not do Market 32 in CT, I can see them using ACME since there are now ACME stores in Fairfield County when they bought them from A&P.

That would make sense - would probably also make sense to switch the MA/VT/NH stores - all to Shaw's, unless they thought that name was bad and wanted to do a complete rebranding using one of the acquired names?

Might also think about switching the (limited) number of stores in lower NY and possibly PA into Acme (as that name exists in both those states already).  The main question would be what to do with the larger chunk of stores in NY where they have no other presence.

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on December 07, 2016, 10:59:20 AM
Quote from: AmesNewington on December 06, 2016, 07:33:40 PM
If Albertson's does buy Price Chopper I wonder if they will continue the Market 32 rebrand  or if they'll change them all to Shaw's, ACME, or Star Market. Also if they make them Shaw's, ACME, or Star will they downsize their stores in Southington, Bristol, and Vernon Connecticut. Those 3 are some of the largest Price Chopper. Vernon is 98,000 Sq Ft, Southington is 95,000, and Bristol is around 86,000.

That would make sense - would probably also make sense to switch the MA/VT/NH stores - all to Shaw's, unless they thought that name was bad and wanted to do a complete rebranding using one of the acquired names?

Might also think about switching the (limited) number of stores in lower NY and possibly PA into Acme (as that name exists in both those states already).  The main question would be what to do with the larger chunk of stores in NY where they have no other presence.

Albertsons has done some "banner consolidation" in their acquired markets, such as their recent switch-out in the Denver metro, so anything would presumably be "up for grabs" in the overlap areas. Perhaps Shaw's makes more sense in Worcester, but Price Chopper is the stronger banner in Vermont. In the border towns in New Hampshire I think Price Chopper is the stronger banner as well. I wonder what they would do with a smaller store in a border market such as the Lincoln, NH Chopper (ex-Grand Union/P&C.) If it survives at all I suspect it will remain a Price Chopper. Surprisingly, it's a 24-hour store despite being so tiny. I wouldn't rule out a sale to Tops. Perhaps an independent could take it over and link up with Ahold Delhaize under the Shop n' Save banner - they're woefully underrepresented in the North Country.

Scrabbleship

Price Chopper is closing their Menands, NY store, one of the smallest and oldest in the company.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Menands-Price-Chopper-to-close-10848749.php

BillyGr

Quote from: Scrabbleship on January 11, 2017, 07:09:52 PM
Price Chopper is closing their Menands, NY store, one of the smallest and oldest in the company.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Menands-Price-Chopper-to-close-10848749.php

Not quite sure how they get that oldest thing?  Maybe in general having a store in Menands, but not this specific site, since this store was not always a Price Chopper.  In fact, it was one of the locations of Shop Rite the first time they were in the Albany area (at that time the PC was up the street in a plaza with Woolworth and behind a still existing KFC, for those who know the area).

After Shop Rite pulled out of the area, the store was a Great American for a time (according to others - I didn't know that one specifically but GA did take several of the SR stores) before PC moved in, so probably early 1990's to move in.

Also was sort of a surprise, since there is a lot of space (a former Pepsi bottle plant was torn down a few years back right next to it) that they could have added on or even built a totally new store should they have wanted to do so. 
Also the only store in that specific area (the others aren't far off, but this is one of the locations easily accessible by bus for those who don't drive in the area), of what was once 3 or 4 stores (when they were up the street, SR was there and either Albany Public or GU across the street next to Two Guys building, at least).

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on January 12, 2017, 11:41:27 AM
Quote from: Scrabbleship on January 11, 2017, 07:09:52 PM

Not quite sure how they get that oldest thing?  Maybe in general having a store in Menands, but not this specific site, since this store was not always a Price Chopper.  In fact, it was one of the locations of Shop Rite the first time they were in the Albany area (at that time the PC was up the street in a plaza with Woolworth and behind a still existing KFC, for those who know the area).

After Shop Rite pulled out of the area, the store was a Great American for a time (according to others - I didn't know that one specifically but GA did take several of the SR stores) before PC moved in, so probably early 1990's to move in.

Also was sort of a surprise, since there is a lot of space (a former Pepsi bottle plant was torn down a few years back right next to it) that they could have added on or even built a totally new store should they have wanted to do so.  
Also the only store in that specific area (the others aren't far off, but this is one of the locations easily accessible by bus for those who don't drive in the area), of what was once 3 or 4 stores (when they were up the street, SR was there and either Albany Public or GU across the street next to Two Guys building, at least).

Is that area perhaps a bit overstored, especially with PC having a newish store in Watervliet less than three miles away?

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on January 13, 2017, 01:20:26 AM
Quote from: BillyGr on January 12, 2017, 11:41:27 AM
Not quite sure how they get that oldest thing?  Maybe in general having a store in Menands, but not this specific site, since this store was not always a Price Chopper.  In fact, it was one of the locations of Shop Rite the first time they were in the Albany area (at that time the PC was up the street in a plaza with Woolworth and behind a still existing KFC, for those who know the area).

Is that area perhaps a bit overstored, especially with PC having a newish store in Watervliet less than three miles away?

I'm not sure if it would really be considered that, given that the Watervliet store is just a replacement for another older/smaller store (so the two smaller stores co-existed for quite a number of years).

Also that the PC is the only store left there, in that area that once had three markets.

I also would have thought they'd get a fair amount of business from areas to their south (between Menands and the city of Albany) as there isn't much else that way and a number of areas of housing with people that are more likely to use a bus to get around than drive (not sure if the bus line goes to the Watervliet store or just up the main street, which would leave several blocks to walk).

However, it could be that, since the next nearest stores in a couple directions (both Watervliet and acroos the river into Troy) are other PC stores they figure people will just go to those anyway so they won't lose anything.  That is, assuming they don't get a Stewart's backlash (after they closed a small store in a town without much else and the folks in that town organized a boycott of the chain, even going out of the way to go to other stores).

retailisking

Quote from: BillyGr on January 13, 2017, 06:41:08 PM
the PC is the only store left there, in that area that once had three markets.

Reading the comments, I get the impression that the area is downmarket and the store subject to high shrink. Given that, perhaps Golub thought the store didn't have much potential to be turned into its Market 32 format.

giantsfan2016

retailisking

Lots of insights in this two-pager, including sliding market share and disappointing revenues from Market 32 conversions. Looks like the Golubs are between a rock and a hard place.
http://best-met.com/news/albertsons-reportedly-ends-effort-purchase-golubs-price-chopper/

giantsfan2016

Interesting. The UPS Store inside the Southington Price Chopper is moving out. They're taking over the former Carry-out Pizza Hut which is in the old Hollywood Video. It's next to the Friendly's.

retailisking

Quote from: giantsfan2016 on March 10, 2017, 05:50:42 PM
Interesting. The UPS Store inside the Southington Price Chopper is moving out. They're taking over the former Carry-out Pizza Hut which is in the old Hollywood Video. It's next to the Friendly's.
Can't say I'm surprised. Seems like leased departments, including bank branches, are becoming passé.

retailisking

Three pharmacies have closed at Price Choppers in Keene, NH as well as West Carthage and Oswego, NY. Not sure if that means those stores will close, but it can't be a good sign. Curiously, they're all 24-hour stores.

BillyGr

Quote from: retailisking on April 15, 2017, 05:18:45 AM
Three pharmacies have closed at Price Choppers in Keene, NH as well as West Carthage and Oswego, NY. Not sure if that means those stores will close, but it can't be a good sign. Curiously, they're all 24-hour stores.

Not sure - are these smaller (overall) sized stores?  Could it be that they just don't do enough pharmacy business, and could use that space in the stores for more "regular" merchandise?

Only since the articles with these stories that I saw elsewhere mentioned both the benefits of consolidating customers in the pharmacy (which they are doing with whatever other pharmacy store chain takes over each location's business) and that they would use the space for other items (perhaps indicating that they need more room for the rest of the store)?

After all, there are other Price Chopper locations (including a couple larger ones) that never had a pharmacy to begin with...

retailisking

Price Chopper has put two more stores on the, erm, chopping block...click on the pix for links to stories about the closures.

Lee, MA

Glens Falls, NY

giantsfan2016

Is the one in Glens Falls the one where Rachael Ray got her start doing cooking demos or is it the one down the street in "Queensbury", which some people also call Glens Falls?