Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
here is the price chopper in gerling st in schenectady new york.

here is the price chopper in schenectady on eastern parkway. IT WAS STORE NUMBER ONE!

BillyGr

I think this is the store that they plan to close (it was on the news a week or two back, mentioned a smaller store in Schenectady - as this one has a sign saying neighborhood store it would certainly fit that bill).

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by BillyGr

I think this is the store that they plan to close (it was on the news a week or two back, mentioned a smaller store in Schenectady - as this one has a sign saying neighborhood store it would certainly fit that bill).

REALLY ITS CLOSING!!!!!!!!!!!! PRICE CHOPPER DOES NOT CLOSE STORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet that one would close.

d_fife

here it is of price chopper closing in schenectady (but for the wal-mart problem they mention a problem with competing with wal-mart). the nearest wal-mart to it was in scotia which is a supercenter and like 2 or so miles away from it and there is a wal-mart in rotterdam near a bigger price chopper miles away). I wonder what the neighborhood residents will do now. PRice chopper doesnot close stoers, I once saw a closed one in framingham.

from http://www.progressivegrocer.com/progressivegrocer/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002273668

Smaller Price Chopper Store Closing Next Month

MARCH 29, 2006 -- SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- Price Chopper here is closing its 20,000-square-foot Sheridan Plaza store here on April 29, apparently because of the store's inability to stock the same range of products as larger Price Choppers.

Most of the Northeast retailer's stores measure from 65,000 to 85,000 square feet, and the performance of the much smaller store has been hampered by its size. Adding to the problem was competition from a Wal-Mart, but especially from four larger Price Choppers in Schenectady County, according to Price Chopper spokeswoman Mona Golub. With the closing of the Sheridan Plaza store, there will now be one Price Chopper store within the city limits of Schenectady.

When asked by Progressive Grocer whether enlarging the Sheridan Plaza Store was ever considered, Golub called such a plan an "impossibility," noting that the structure housing the store had been built in 1954 and wouldn't have been able accommodate that big an expansion.

Golub also said that the grocer has offered jobs at other stores to the 16 full-time and 26 part-time employees affected by the closing.

Despite the closing, the chain continues to expand, with 113 stores and plans to open locations in Champlain, N.Y.; Clinton County, N.Y.; Derby, Vt.; and Putnam, Conn. in the summer, and expansion or remodeling projects underway at stores in Bethlehem, Pa.; Johnstown, Pa.; and Utica, N.Y. noted Golub.

Also this article says stuff about it http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=465510&category=BUSINESS&newsdate=3/28/2006
 Price Chopper store to close next month
Last day for struggling Sheridan Plaza venue scheduled for April 29  

By KEVIN HARLIN, Business writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Tuesday, March 28, 2006

SCHENECTADY -- Price Chopper will close its struggling Sheridan Plaza store next month.
Advertisement

Its last day will be April 29, said Mona Golub, spokeswoman for Price Chopper parent Golub Corp. The Rotterdam-based company has offered jobs at other stores to the 16 full-time and 26 part-time employees there.

"The store has struggled for a number of years now and it's not profitable," Golub said.

The 20,000-square-foot store off Gerling Street couldn't stock the same range of produce, breads, deli meats and other items as the company's larger markets, which are typically 65,000 to 85,000 square feet, she said.

Wal-Mart opened a Supercenter store in nearby Glenville in 2002. But Golub said the store's biggest competition was Price Chopper's larger store on Eastern Parkway in Schenectady, and Price Choppers in Glenville and Niskayuna.

Not all customers think bigger is better.

"I always called it the best-kept secret," said Eileen Versaci, Schenectady deputy city clerk, who said she liked the small, uncrowded store with its short lines. "I hate these large markets that take me six weeks to get a quart of milk."

The small market also serves many nearby elderly residents, Versaci said.

The closing will leave Price Chopper's Eastern Parkway store as the only one within the city of Schenectady, the birthplace of the 73-year-old company.

But the chain is still growing. Price Chopper has 113 markets, and this summer expects to open stores in Champlain, Clinton County; Derby, Vt.; and Putnam, Conn. It is also expanding or remodeling stores in Bethlehem, Johnstown and Utica, Golub said.

In 2002, Price Chopper closed its store in Crosstown Plaza, also in Schenectady. Shortly after that, New Jersey-based Price Rite, a limited-selection discount supermarket, moved into the site. It is now expanding its operation there.

store215

That NY store looks like a former Pathmark

Anonymous

From the Price Chopper Website:
1988 saw the opening of a store in Wilkes Barre PA, another in East Greenbush, NY and a Mini Chopper in Lake George, NY.

Yup - that was a Mini Chopper.  They used to run some of those in small buildings (areas) where there wasn't space (or demand) for a larger store.  

The other one I know of was in Chatham - it was right in the main street and was a former A&P store from years ago (A&P left in the early 80's at the latest).  It had about 4 (maybe 5) aisles, pretty much all the grocery basics (meat, produce, dairy, bread, dry stuff) just in limited varieties/quantities.  The Mini Chopper was there until about 8-9 years ago when the company closed them all down (said they weren't cost effective) and still had the old orange digital screen registers without scanners!  After that it ws a locally run store for a short time (the owner and his relatives had stores in several area towns and had financial/legal troubles) and is now a dollar general (and not  the biggest one of those I've seen, either).

Price Chopper has since aquired the Grand Union in Chatham (which is still on the small side compared to some of their superstores).

Also of note in the small markets - Chatham also had a Finast at one time which is now a (smaller than the new ones) Eckerd.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anonymous
There's a store in Lake George, NY that appears to be Price Chopper's kis sister, or something.  It resembles an old Price Chopper and is -very- tiny by today's supermarket standards.  I've shopped there before when I lived back east and visited the lake in the summer but, I never thought to take a pic.  I thought you guys would appreciate hearing about it, though.  Maybe someone in the area can find the store and snap a photo.  Anyone even remotely familar with Lake George Village would know where it is!

---I'm pretty sure that PC in chatham is still a PC. Dollar General joined the plaza on the right end, but that PC still remains on the other end.

Lake George Village PC is still open; I don't think it was ever a Mini Chopper

---Check out the hidden PC on Albany Shaker Road sometime. It's an "old people" chopper (as opposed to "Ghetto" (delaware avenue) Chopper), in that it's open from like, 9-9 every day. You can find almost exclusively old folks in there.

Glens Falls NY: A Nice old PC on Dix Ave, used to be a movie theatre in the 60s. Also, the toyoto dealership on Broad st (next to hannaford) used to be a big PC; it was there for years until (then Shop and Save) moved in. It was gone in mere months. It stood vacant for years, then the building was renovated and turned into a Toyota dealership.

The flagship (and one of the oldest PC's in NY) is still on Glen Street, still doing fine.

BillyGr

---I'm pretty sure that PC in chatham is still a PC. Dollar General joined the plaza on the right end, but that PC still remains on the other end.

Lake George Village PC is still open; I don't think it was ever a Mini Chopper

---Check out the hidden PC on Albany Shaker Road sometime. It's an "old people" chopper (as opposed to "Ghetto" (delaware avenue) Chopper), in that it's open from like, 9-9 every day. You can find almost exclusively old folks in there.

Glens Falls NY: A Nice old PC on Dix Ave, used to be a movie theatre in the 60s. Also, the toyoto dealership on Broad st (next to hannaford) used to be a big PC; it was there for years until (then Shop and Save) moved in. It was gone in mere months. It stood vacant for years, then the building was renovated and turned into a Toyota dealership.

The flagship (and one of the oldest PC's in NY) is still on Glen Street, still doing fine.

There are two different stores in Chatham - the current Price Chopper (shown below) was a Grand Union that Price Chopper bought when they went bankrupt - it is in the shopping plaza with a Family Dollar.  They formerly had a Mini-Chopper right on the main street, which prior to that was an A&P and is now the Dollar General (too many dollar names)!

The "hidden" Price Chopper was also a Grand Union that they bought at the same time - Eckerd was in that plaza also until they opened a free standing store at the corner of Shaker & Osborne.  No idea why they wanted it, but apparently it must do well enough to stay open (since there is the one on Central about 5-10 min away, and another big one in Latham not too much further the opposite way).

Anonymous

here is the price chopper in bethlehem new york.

d_fife

the picture above is mine. this price chopper in bethlehem is on New Scotland Ave in the singerlands part. The store was being remodeled and renovated when I was there on MArch 21, 2006. Ntoice the lettering on the ground?

d_fife

the picture above is mine. this price chopper in bethlehem is on New Scotland Ave in the singerlands part. The store was being remodeled and renovated when I was there on MArch 21, 2006. Ntoice the lettering on the ground?

more of teh bethlehem singerlands store.

d_fife

more of the bethlehem singerlands store.

d_fife

d_fife

the sign of the New Scotland Ave bethlehem singerlands store

BillyGr

The first is the store in Chatham - this was a former Grand Union taken over by Price Chopper during GU's bankruptcy.

The second is the Cobleskill store - on Route 7 in a plaza with a former Jamesway (now TSC & Label Shopper).  this store is unusual inside in that it has a lot of aisles, but they are very short aisles - it appears to have been enlarged at some point (maybe where the roof makes a corner in the middle of the shot??).

The last is the Oneonta store on Route 7.

everythingmustgo

QuoteOriginally posted by amesman
Here's an older picture of that store. Man, am I glad I took this..hehe.

(Delaware Avenue Price Chopper, Albany, NY)

Ahh, good ol' ghetto chopper. Staple of any downtown Albany citizen. I watched a man get stabbed in the stomach while waiting in line one night. Wonderful, wonderful. Definitely a SKETCHY place at night, remodel or not!

d_fife

here is the price chopper in watervielt new york (outside albany) and not far from the kmart in latham.

d_fife

here is a new price chopper that opened in 2004 or 2005 in richford springs ny

d_fife

here is a new price chopper that opened in 2004 or 2005 in richford springs ny

here is the price chopper sign in richford springs ny

BillyGr

Here's the Pric Chopper in Glenville, NY on Route 50.

Marc82

The Chopper's in Bristol and Southington, Connecticut both opened on the same day in January 2004. Both are former KMARTS. Eveyeone in Southington was suprised when Price Chopper bought that KMART because everyone expected Shaw's to buy that KMART.

The Chopper in Bristol is litterally right next door to Shaw's. You can go into Shaw's parking lot and drive straight past Shaw's and go to Price Chopper and vice versa.

Initally they killed the Bristol Shaw's, but after about 7 or 8 weeks the Bristol Shaw's bounced back and now they both co-exist nicely.

I didn't start working at the Southington Shaw's until 8 months after Chopper opened. While business was always slow at the Shaw's, the store litterally has been on life support since Chopper opened.

I had an job interview at the Southington Chopper about a month ago, but they never called me back.

Marc82

Someone lit some fireworks inside the Vernon Price Chopper last night. The fire cause 100 G's worth a damange. Here's the story from NewsChannel 8 WTNH.
http://wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=5111294

I can rememember two other supermarket fires. Shortly after Shaw's took over the Edward's on Queen Street in Southington in 1996 or 1997 some women lit the potato chip aisle on fire.

And in the early 90s the Terryville IGA on Route 6 was damaged by a fire started by the owner of the neighboring video store who lit the store on fire to collect insurance. Except for the IGA the entire plaza stayed burned out for many  many years after.

XISMZERO

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
The Chopper's in Bristol and Southington, Connecticut both opened on the same day in January 2004. Both are former KMARTS. Eveyeone in Southington was suprised when Price Chopper bought that KMART because everyone expected Shaw's to buy that KMART.

The Chopper in Bristol is litterally right next door to Shaw's. You can go into Shaw's parking lot and drive straight past Shaw's and go to Price Chopper and vice versa.

Initally they killed the Bristol Shaw's, but after about 7 or 8 weeks the Bristol Shaw's bounced back and now they both co-exist nicely.

I didn't start working at the Southington Shaw's until 8 months after Chopper opened. While business was always slow at the Shaw's, the store litterally has been on life support since Chopper opened.

I had an job interview at the Southington Chopper about a month ago, but they never called me back.

The K-Mart that became a Price Chopper was at one time a Caldor if you remember. It wasn't one of the better ones in the area but the plaza facade is still the same as it's always been which brings back memories.
All submitted photos were taken by myself unless stated otherwise.
------------------------------------
THE CALDOR RAINBOW
Our Photos On Flickr

d_fife

here is the price chopper in the south hills mall in poughkeepsie new york. I heard it is closing this month.

d_fife

here is the price chopper in vernon CT where Ames was and it is new.

d_fife

sign of hte one in vernon

d_fife

sign of hte one in vernon

sign vernon

d_fife

here is the price chopper in newington CT where Ames was and it is new. it also replaced the ames in vernon.

d_fife

here is the price chopper in newington CT where Ames was and it is new. it also replaced the ames in vernon.

here is the price chopper sign in newington

d_fife

price chopper in bristol CT

d_fife

here is the price chopper in southington Ct. it replaced the kmart. and it also replaced the kmart in bristol. Man a lot of price choppers in CT open by redeveloping old buildings.