Price Chopper/Market 32

Started by Caldor99, January 06, 2005, 11:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retailisking

Quote from: Joeg on November 12, 2014, 02:34:17 PM
Maybe they would sell to Market Basket!

I thought of this a number of years ago. There would be minimal overlap between the chains, but their go-to-market strategies are quite different and Market Basket is already $1.5 billion or so in debt.

BillyGr

I don't know that they would pull out of any area particularly - they certainly might close a store or two if those locations didn't do well (as they have in the past with one of the Poughkeepsie stores and I believe one in the Syracuse area, but there are still other store(s) in those areas).

If anything, it seems that they would be more interested in keeping the farther out stores to offset loss of sales in their home (Albany NY metro) area, both from the re-introduction of ShopRite and a number of folks who are mad at them for building a new store where there used to be a church (which the church had vacated and otherwise probably would have sat empty until it decayed enough to become a danger - there didn't seem to be much of a market for a used church in the area).

From the existing remodel of the Latham store (which they are using as a "test" to see what they will do with other locations) the main parts of the store are not changed a great deal, just renovated with new shelving / flooring and such - generally what any store would do when "renovating".  The they simply added a bunch of new stuff (more ready to eat foods, kind of on the Wegman's style of a food court like area, including a full service restaurant area, bigger natural/organic area, some additional specialty items). 
They plan to pull some ideas out of this to use in the new stores, but as yet no specifics as to what.  They are supposed to be starting a couple renovations now so that will give a bit more of a hint as those progress.

Joeg

Here in CT, PC seems to be a non-entity.  S&S seems to become more and more like ShopRite, Big Y is way to expensive to shop at, and the independents just like to have there stores in the rich towns.  So it seems if PC decides to pull out of CT, I think most of their locations probably would go to Shop Rite and Big Y.  I wish them all the luck.  We need stores here and in some parts of NE, that just give quality service and low prices.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Joeg on November 14, 2014, 04:40:43 AM
Here in CT, PC seems to be a non-entity.  S&S seems to become more and more like ShopRite, Big Y is way to expensive to shop at, and the independents just like to have there stores in the rich towns.  So it seems if PC decides to pull out of CT, I think most of their locations probably would go to Shop Rite and Big Y.  I wish them all the luck.  We need stores here and in some parts of NE, that just give quality service and low prices.

It would be nice to see a grocery store that resembles those of the past like Food Mart, Finast, etc. with modern technology and strategies, but just a plain and simple mid-sized store with low prices and good service where employees are like family. It could still work, and I think customers would like that. Perhaps this kind of store would do good business compared to these huge superstores with no personal touch. Big Y and some ShopRite's resemble that strategy and of course the independents. I don't like gimmicks. They confuse customers anyway. Also, get rid of the cards.

Joeg

silvfx66

Currently three stores are being transformed to Market32: Wilton and Clifton Park NY and Pittsfield Mass.  Additionally a brand new build in Sutton Mass.  There sure seems to be a firestorm in the Albany area over the name change, I guess after 40+ years as Price Chopper people find it hard to accept change. The management also indicated that in expanding markets the name Price Chopper does not convey the image of their features and offerings.  Should be interesting to see the first Market32 store in the spring.

ynkeesfn82

Stopped at Price Chopper in Southington, CT today. (My Mom's have a Christmas party in a couple days and she asked me to check prices at different stores on a couple items). Anyway I ran into someone I know who works in the Meat Department. She says most of the employees don't care about the name change to Market 32 just as long as they still have jobs. She did not know when the name change would reach the Connecticut stores.

ynkeesfn82

Stopped at The Price Chopper in Bristol, Connecticut today. Looks like they got some new fixtures. They didn't have these at the Southington store when I went there a few weeks ago.

Also I think when the one in Oxford, CT opens in 2015 it will be a Market 32. The Real Estate Company trying to get tenants for the shopping center being built changed the listing from Price Chopper to Market 32.

http://www.chartweb.com/portfolio/oxford-towne-center/

BillyGr

Quote from: Marc B on December 26, 2014, 07:24:02 PM
Also I think when the one in Oxford, CT opens in 2015 it will be a Market 32. The Real Estate Company trying to get tenants for the shopping center being built changed the listing from Price Chopper to Market 32.

http://www.chartweb.com/portfolio/oxford-towne-center/

I would suspect any new store going forward will have the Market 32 name, since they eventually will convert all stores to that name.

AmesNewington

My question is will Price Chopper convert all CT stores to Market 32 or close some that do not fit the business model of the new branding. It shall be interesting.

silvfx66

I was in the Albany area last week and stopped by the Clifton Park location to see how the conversion is going. So far they have added a drive up window for the pharmacy but it is not open.  The deli is also being relocated and looks to have bright red and gray tiles with very modern cases.  It is still very much a work in progress. From what I can tell the look is very modern with simple primary colors and straight lines. I am guessing the Conn stores will all get an update at some point unless there are other business reasons not to the stores open. 

ynkeesfn82

Talked to an employee in Southington, CT yesterday. She says she management has not told them when the conversion to Market 32 will take place. She also said corporate would be evaluating each store before the conversion is done. Obviously Southington is not doing well while Bristol continues to thrive. She also did not know when the new store in Oxford, Connecticut was going to open.

I also wonder what's going on with that entire Oxford project. The project is no longer on Charter Realty's website.

BillyGr

Quote from: silvfx66 on December 28, 2014, 07:35:38 PM
I was in the Albany area last week and stopped by the Clifton Park location to see how the conversion is going. So far they have added a drive up window for the pharmacy but it is not open.  The deli is also being relocated and looks to have bright red and gray tiles with very modern cases.  It is still very much a work in progress. From what I can tell the look is very modern with simple primary colors and straight lines. I am guessing the Conn stores will all get an update at some point unless there are other business reasons not to the stores open. 

Just FYI - there are separate Facebook and websites for Market 32 - I know the Facebook has some pictures from the newer stores, if anyone wants to see those.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 02, 2015, 06:53:05 AM
Talked to an employee in Southington, CT yesterday. She says she management has not told them when the conversion to Market 32 will take place. She also said corporate would be evaluating each store before the conversion is done. Obviously Southington is not doing well while Bristol continues to thrive. She also did not know when the new store in Oxford, Connecticut was going to open.

I also wonder what's going on with that entire Oxford project. The project is no longer on Charter Realty's website.

So, they are looking to convert CT stores to Market 32? I can't see the idea working in Bristol or Southington. Not sure about Newington and even Middletown. All of these towns are middle class towns and the whole Market 32 concept from the outside looks too fancy and expensive. As of now, prices at PC are high. I can see perhaps their Storrs Center location and maybe Putnam. Not even sure about Windsor. I guess we'll see. Last month, my parents went shopping at the Newington PC and while it has considerably been cleaned up, it was very expensive and they said the meat did not look fresh. They prefer ShopRite in Bristol.

ynkeesfn82

Quote from: BillyGr on April 02, 2015, 01:34:11 PM
Just FYI - there are separate Facebook and websites for Market 32 - I know the Facebook has some pictures from the newer stores, if anyone wants to see those.

Oh man. I just looked at the Market 32 Facebook Page. That picture they have of the Wilton, New York store looks so tacky. If they do the conversion in Southington rather than close it (which is what they ought to do), I don't think the town will let them. The town has standards. I know for a fact they won't be allowed the to do that look in Bristol either. The landlord said they cannot change the Facade of the building. That's why the one in Bristol does not look like the one in Southington from the outside. The clock has to stay in place. That's why it stayed through all the stores that have been in that spot - Caldor, Big KMART, and now Price Chopper.

Joeg

I just have a feeling that they are going to close/sell their stores.   They have only eight stores in CT, with no expansion in site(unless you count Oxford CT).  I think it better to cut their losses and pull out of the state.

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on April 03, 2015, 04:23:56 AM
I just have a feeling that they are going to close/sell their stores.   They have only eight stores in CT, with no expansion in site(unless you count Oxford CT).  I think it better to cut their losses and pull out of the state.
Locator shows 9 locations, and 8 of the 9 are open 24 hours, so they can't be doing that badly?

I'm sure they'll figure out something for those locations where the remodel is not feasible due to local rules.

What is always surprising is that they didn't try to pick up locations in the middle of MA (they have a cluster in the Berkshires, then a bunch around Worcester, with nothing in the Springfield area).  Especially a few years back when A&P pulled out of the area, leaving basically S&S & Big Y, the same two chains they compete with in the Berkshire areas.

ynkeesfn82

It wouldn't be good in Price Chopper pulled out of Connecticut. If they pulled out that would leave 3 chains of MAJOR supermarkets. - Stop & Shop, BIG Y, and Shoprite.  (Granted all Shoprites are individually owned and operated). Then there are the discounters ALDI, Save-a-Lot, and Price Rite but I don't count them because of their limited assortment of products. I also don't count the IGA stores, although from what I understand the IGA store in Rocky Hill - Westside Marketplace is about the size (or a little smaller) than a typical supermarket. I also don't count WHOLE FOODS as they're a specialty chain.

Should another chain  - such as Hannaford try to expand into Connecticut? We all saw what happened when Shaw's expanded into the state. They lasted 15 years and then pulled out. Price Chopper cleaned Shaw's clock in both Bristol and Newington when they expanded into Connecticut. The Newington Shaw's was the number 1 Shaw's in the Hartford Market until Price Chopper opened. The Shoprites that took over the Shaw's in Canton, Southington, and Wallingford (The Joseph Family and The Drust Family respectively) are both out-performing the Shaw's that previously occupied the space. This is despite the Wallingford location being located right next door to a Walmart Supercenter.

I also DO NOT think if Price Chopper were to pull out of Connecticut Walmart would decide to open their Neighborhood Market stores in some of the Price Chopper locations. People I know who work for Walmart tell me that the 2 Neighborhood Markets that are in Connecticut in West Hartford and Bristol are not doing as well as the company had hope. I guess the people in Connecticut do not understand the concept of a Walmart that just sells groceries.

If Chopper were to just close down their stores and not sell their Connecticut stores to other companies I can see Whole Foods taking part of the Southington location. Southington is a rich and affluent town. A lot of people want a Whole Foods in town. I don't know if Whole Foods is interested in further expansion in Connecticut. There are rumors that they will be opening a store at the new Outlet Mall that's under development on the Cheshire/Southingtion line. However I think the only reason that rumor exists is because Whole Foods has a Warehouse in Cheshire.

The Newington, Torrington, Putnam, Windsor, and Middletown PC locations would be good locations for Shoprite. Bristol and Southington already have Shoprites. I don't know what could be done with the PC at UCONN. I believe BIG Y is too expensive for the people who live in Bristol. The argument that BIG Y is in Meriden  is invalid because it's right on the Wallingford townline. And Wallingford is a more upscale town thanMeriden. It's also doubtful that BIG Y would open in Southington. They just opened a smaller sized store on the Cheshire side of Route 10 and they've been in Plainville just 6 miles away for 22 years.

AmesNewington

Quote from: Marc B on April 03, 2015, 12:50:50 PM
It wouldn't be good in Price Chopper pulled out of Connecticut. If they pulled out that would leave 3 chains of MAJOR supermarkets. - Stop & Shop, BIG Y, and Shoprite.  (Granted all Shoprites are individually owned and operated). Then there are the discounters ALDI, Save-a-Lot, and Price Rite but I don't count them because of their limited assortment of products. I also don't count the IGA stores, although from what I understand the IGA store in Rocky Hill - Westside Marketplace is about the size (or a little smaller) than a typical supermarket. I also don't count WHOLE FOODS as they're a specialty chain.

Should another chain  - such as Hannaford try to expand into Connecticut? We all saw what happened when Shaw's expanded into the state. They lasted 15 years and then pulled out. Price Chopper cleaned Shaw's clock in both Bristol and Newington when they expanded into Connecticut. The Newington Shaw's was the number 1 Shaw's in the Hartford Market until Price Chopper opened. The Shoprites that took over the Shaw's in Canton, Southington, and Wallingford (The Joseph Family and The Drust Family respectively) are both out-performing the Shaw's that previously occupied the space. This is despite the Wallingford location being located right next door to a Walmart Supercenter.

I also DO NOT think if Price Chopper were to pull out of Connecticut Walmart would decide to open their Neighborhood Market stores in some of the Price Chopper locations. People I know who work for Walmart tell me that the 2 Neighborhood Markets that are in Connecticut in West Hartford and Bristol are not doing as well as the company had hope. I guess the people in Connecticut do not understand the concept of a Walmart that just sells groceries.

If Chopper were to just close down their stores and not sell their Connecticut stores to other companies I can see Whole Foods taking part of the Southington location. Southington is a rich and affluent town. A lot of people want a Whole Foods in town. I don't know if Whole Foods is interested in further expansion in Connecticut. There are rumors that they will be opening a store at the new Outlet Mall that's under development on the Cheshire/Southingtion line. However I think the only reason that rumor exists is because Whole Foods has a Warehouse in Cheshire.

The Newington, Torrington, Putnam, Windsor, and Middletown PC locations would be good locations for Shoprite. Bristol and Southington already have Shoprites. I don't know what could be done with the PC at UCONN. I believe BIG Y is too expensive for the people who live in Bristol. The argument that BIG Y is in Meriden  is invalid because it's right on the Wallingford townline. And Wallingford is a more upscale town thanMeriden. It's also doubtful that BIG Y would open in Southington. They just opened a smaller sized store on the Cheshire side of Route 10 and they've been in Plainville just 6 miles away for 22 years.

I'm hoping Berlin gets the ShopRite, but if that isn't possible, and PC exits the state, the Newington PC would be a great spot. However, it may be a bit small for a ShopRite, but perhaps I'm wrong. Remember, it once housed Ames on the same site. There is no room for expansion either. What really bugs me is that Stop and Shop is STILL open in the old Shaw's. That would have been the ideal spot for SR, and that building is HUGE. Hopefully, things will work themselves out.

BillyGr

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 03, 2015, 02:00:13 PM
I'm hoping Berlin gets the ShopRite, but if that isn't possible, and PC exits the state, the Newington PC would be a great spot. However, it may be a bit small for a ShopRite, but perhaps I'm wrong. Remember, it once housed Ames on the same site. There is no room for expansion either. What really bugs me is that Stop and Shop is STILL open in the old Shaw's. That would have been the ideal spot for SR, and that building is HUGE. Hopefully, things will work themselves out.

It should be fine if it was once an Ames, unless for some reason it was a tiny Ames store?  SR has also shown to be good at working with existing stores (besides the CT ones from Shaws, I know of one Shoprite in a PC in the Poughkeepsie area and the newer one in Niskayuna was a Grand Union, though one of their newer stores with the glass front, so not a really small one).

It wouldn't be good in Price Chopper pulled out of Connecticut. If they pulled out that would leave 3 chains of MAJOR supermarkets. - Stop & Shop, BIG Y, and Shoprite.

The Newington, Torrington, Putnam, Windsor, and Middletown PC locations would be good locations for Shoprite.

Something wrong with 3 chains?  The majority of upstate NY (Albany area) has had only 2 for the last decade plus after the GU bankruptcy (PC & Hannaford) until Shoprite started re-opening a couple years back.

Also - does Torrington still have Price Rite (next to the K-was I think)?  Not that that would stop them from opening SR as well - at one point they were in separated areas, but after some of the Shaw's takeovers (and the Niskayuna store mentioned above, which is probably 5 minutes from the Schenectady Price Rite) it seems that they no longer have issues with the two being close together.

Joeg

Yes Torrington still has a Price Rite in the old SR next to K-Mart.

TRU7536

Quote from: BillyGr on April 04, 2015, 11:59:15 AM

It should be fine if it was once an Ames, unless for some reason it was a tiny Ames store?  SR has also shown to be good at working with existing stores (besides the CT ones from Shaws, I know of one Shoprite in a PC in the Poughkeepsie area and the newer one in Niskayuna was a Grand Union, though one of their newer stores with the glass front, so not a really small one).

It wouldn't be good in Price Chopper pulled out of Connecticut. If they pulled out that would leave 3 chains of MAJOR supermarkets. - Stop & Shop, BIG Y, and Shoprite.

The Newington, Torrington, Putnam, Windsor, and Middletown PC locations would be good locations for Shoprite.

Something wrong with 3 chains?  The majority of upstate NY (Albany area) has had only 2 for the last decade plus after the GU bankruptcy (PC & Hannaford) until Shoprite started re-opening a couple years back.

Also - does Torrington still have Price Rite (next to the K-was I think)?  Not that that would stop them from opening SR as well - at one point they were in separated areas, but after some of the Shaw's takeovers (and the Niskayuna store mentioned above, which is probably 5 minutes from the Schenectady Price Rite) it seems that they no longer have issues with the two being close together.

The Price Chopper in Newington is 68,966 SF. Lets not forget PC also has locations in CT in Torrington, Windsor, Vernon, Middletown, Mansfield, and Putnam.

TRU7536

Sorry dude, Southington doesn't fit into Whole Foods mode. I did a research paper on Whole Foods and read about how they pick towns, its based on money. You need to understand them to know why they pick certain towns. The locations in CT are:  2 in West Hartford, Danbury, Fairfield, Westport, Milford, Glastonbury, Darien, and Greenwich.

Southington doesn't fit into Whole Foods model. The fact they don't have one in the Buckland/Evergreen area speaks about how they work, they go to areas where the average income is very high and has a lot of retail foot traffic. Avon/Canton would get one over Southington.

AmesNewington

Quote from: TRU7536 on April 04, 2015, 03:12:52 PM

The Price Chopper in Newington is 68,966 SF. Lets not forget PC also has locations in CT in Torrington, Windsor, Vernon, Middletown, Mansfield, and Putnam.

Wow, didn't realize how big Newington PC is. Maybe front to back, it is deep. Looks small from the front. It's no where as big as Southington. That's why I must have not realized.

TRU7536

Quote from: AmesNewington on April 04, 2015, 06:41:18 PM
Quote from: TRU7536 on April 04, 2015, 03:12:52 PM

Wow, didn't realize how big Newington PC is. Maybe front to back, it is deep. Looks small from the front. It's no where as big as Southington. That's why I must have not realized.

The PC in Southington is like 100,000Sf, that's huge for a supermarket. They should have cut off at least 30k of space and sublet it to someone else at the tome of opening.

ynkeesfn82

As I mentioned on page 15 of this thread Price Chopper in Southington is 95,000 Square Feet. And that I found an article in The Hartford Courant that they would've preferred a 73,000 Square Foot Store, but took the old KMART because it was available. As I mentioned on Page 15 they could've done 73,000 Square Feet and divided the rest of the building.  http://amesfanclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=2424.msg53395#msg53395

They used to have the ZONE OFFICE (READ: DISTRICT OFFICE) in the Southington Price Chopper. I don't know if it's still there or not. The one in Vernon is even bigger than the one in Southington. It's somewhere between 98,000 and 100,000 Square Feet.

When PC first opened in Southington they had space leased to UPS, PAY LESS Shoes, and a bank that eventually became Citizen's bank. UPS is the only one still there. The store reclaimed both  the former bank space ad the PAY LESS space. PAY LESS did not even last 2 years. PC opened in 2004 and it was already gone by time I started working there in October 2006. In fact that's where we had our Orientation Class.

Joeg

So, is PC/Market32 going to open in Oxford, CT??

BillyGr

Quote from: Joeg on April 06, 2015, 01:06:36 PM
So, is PC/Market32 going to open in Oxford, CT??

Market 32, perhaps.  Price Chopper no.  (Only since they'd be naming any new stores with the Market 32 name).

Joeg

Why perhaps? Didin't the company that was going to build it back out?  There web site seems to be down.

ynkeesfn82

As mentioned above I have no idea if they're still building that big shopping center/mixed us project in OXFORD. The whole project is no longer on Charter Realty's website. I should ask my friend who lives in Oxford if they're building the project or not. I haven't seen her in months ever since she got a boyfriend. When I knew her she was single.