Kmart closing 165 locations

Started by Ameskid, April 01, 2009, 02:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameskid

(This is from Reuters, I forgot to get the URL)

TROY, MICHIGAN (Reuters) - The American retailer Kmart has announced that in a measure of extreme downsizing, they will be shuttering 165 of their stores.

James Adamson, CEO of Kmart, replied, "The economy simply will not allow us to continue operations in stores that are performing even slightly below our expectations."

Sears Holdings and Kmart have been struggling both in 2008 and in this year.  Many have speculated about the future of Sears Holdings, but no one can be quite sure.  User "videogamer75" of the Ames Fan Club forums quotes, "I think if Kmart put more into it, the supercenters could be a big success."

With these sorts of changes in the American retail environment, the future of stores such as Kmart is likely nearing the end.

All I can say is W:duh:W.
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

EddieJ1984

I'm guessing this is the one topic from april 1st, that's not an april fools.
I will be surprised if the kmart near me (in the mayfair section of ne philly) isn't one of the 165 closing if this i strue.

dmx10101

Nice try, but this is an april fools joke.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

AmesNewington

It clearly is. If K Mart closed 165 stores, they might as well close them all. Didn't K Mart announce they would close 24 stores?

dmx10101

QuoteOriginally posted by AmesNewington
It clearly is. If K Mart closed 165 stores, they might as well close them all. Didn't K Mart announce they would close 24 stores?  

They are closing 24 underperforming Sears and Kmart stores.
The Fall of the Mall series-
Retail World on Youtube
All things Kmart/Sears blog-
KmartWorld.com
All things Retail blog-
RetailWorld.org

Ameskid

LOL!!!!

:roll:

Gotcha guys there...
Proud to have been a member of this forum for 10 years.  Let's make it 10 more!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124303530@N08/

Kmart4life

Zayre88

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre2
Good one!!!:P

A better one would have been Kmart opening 165 new stores !!  :yup:

shakethis1234

when was the last new kmart open

Caldor1999

QuoteOriginally posted by shakethis1234
when was the last new kmart open

2002 i believe maybe 2001
Caldor Forever!

Caldor Ames Bradlees Jamesway Venture Woolwrth Montgomery Ward Service Merchandise Pergament Grand Union Macys Bloomingdales JC Penny Nordstrom Lord & Taylor Kohls Filene's Filene's Basment CVS H&M  Hot Topic staples Taregt Kmart Best Buy Borders Shop Rite Waldbaums Silo Nobody Beats The Wiz Lechmere Jefferson Ward Barkers Zayer Woolco Woolworth A&P Wendys Burger King Sub Way Henchgers Bulders Squre Lowes Clover Kaffmans Dillards Toy Works KB Toys Toys R Us Kids R Us Babies R Us Cost Co BJ's Amarican Egael Friendleys Ruby Tusday Chrismas Tree Shops Fun Co Land Discovery Zone Pharmore Filenes Basment TJ Maxx Home Goods Marshles Jordan Marsh Media Play Office Max Offc Depot Staples Rich's  JM Feilds Electric AVE & More Stop & Shop Price Chopper Sage & allen Ann & Hope Neman Marcus Pizza Hut Olive Gardan  Fortan Off Bed Bath & Beyond Spencers Foleys May C.O. Kaffmans Robson May Sakes Fith Ave Applebees KFC  Barns & Noble Big Lots ACE True Value  Sears Best Models Basken Robens Carvel TCBY Roy Rogers Starbucks Ben & Jerys CVS Ride Aid Strawbrigs Tower Records Pets Mart Annie Sez Party City Strawberries Dress barn Fashon Bug Huffman Koos Franks Nursey Banna Republic Tanno Turn Style TGY Two Guys Taco Bell Jo Ann Linenes & Things Tempo Sam Goody Syems  Howard Johnsons HQ Alexzanders Ikea Shaws Bobs Discount AC More Curit City Korvetties Gap Crate & Barrle Mrs Greens Chessecake Factory