Kmart mystery

Started by nims57, March 28, 2009, 07:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nims57

Kmart closed 24 stores in 2004 and announced 24 store closings recently. Seems odd.

HoJofan206

Sadly this does not come as a surpise to me.  Closing 24 under performing stores is actually pretty good.  Meaning, K-Mart eliminated most of their "dead weight" in the early 2000's in a bid to make sure that they would be here in 2009 and beyond.  I personally hope that K-Mart is able to get to a solid foundation and (when) we emerge from our current economic recession will be able to move forward.  

I think you all might see some suprise closings from many retailers that are what would otherwise be considered on solid ground.  I work for Lowe's and even though Lowe's has a great grasp on their market there are talks of shuttering stores that are not pulling their own weight.  You will likely see Home Depot shutter more stores in the next year or two as well--and I am just speaking of this particular market segment.  This doesnt even include your electronic companies that are just being slaughtered left and right, and dont be suprised to start seeing food/beverage establishments following the closing stores trend.  :hurt:

beachgal26

We have started losing alot of our local restaurant chain locations (2-Ruby Tuesday, 1-Red Lobster and alot of Starbucks) plus all the other chains that are closing.  We used to have 5 K-Mart stores in the Memphis area and all were closed except for 1 and it's in a terrible area.

I would not be surprised at all to see many of the other locations of chains be closed since we just have too much of everything.  The worst part will be all the building that has been done in this area will make it seem like a ghost town.