Previous topic - Next topic

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

THEY'VE RECENTLY BEEN BOUGHT BY SHAWS AND I'VE JUST BEGAN TO KNOW THEM!:mad:

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

here's their logo

anybody know anything about this chain?

store215

Shaw's and Star were both the same company.

They are now both owned by Albertson's (who owns Acme in the Philly area)

amesman

Shaw's is a chain of supermarkets in Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. They were recently bought by Albertsons, who also own Jewel/Osco. Discuss them here.

Zayre88

Shaw's recently modified their logo.  Many new Shaw's have a Dunkin Donuts and an Osco Pharmacy inside.  Shaw's acquired 18 former Ames.

Shaw's replaced Ames in Derby VT, Sanford and Saco ME

amesman

cool. What does there logo look like now that it was modified? The picture above is of the Springfield, Vermont store.

Zayre88

It's not easy to find the difference, but the logo changed a bit.  The letter A is changed, and the length of the logo is shorter.  I noticed this at the Shaw's un Auburn ME where we could see a labelscar of the past logo. The color is lighter too.

amesman

That probably has to do with the Albertsons aquisition

76&AmesfanmanBBTB

QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Shaw's and Star were both the same company.

They are now both owned by Albertson's (who owns Acme in the Philly area)

yes but there were talks of changing all the Star Markets to Shaw'ses !:no:

TRU7536

Shaws was good back in the day, now they suxs. Their stores are dirty and bad customer service. Thank god for Price Chopper!

d_fife

Shaw's keeps expanding their stores, and or relocating into another store in the plaza. THEY NOW added Osco Drug in their stores.

the new shaw's look like this. (This is the one in Gilford NH) it opened may 2000 and is 56,000 square feet. Most Shaw's now are like 60,000 something square feet, and they want to move away from 50,000 square feet or less. STop and shop is doing this too. Some stoers have undergone two renovations since opening and a couple (like Lewiston maine relocated 2ce), Shaws format in the mid-late 1990s was glass windows,

Zayre88

In Brunswick they also moved from their location(picture) to a new larger store in the same plaza where Serv.Merch. was located.

In Saco they moved to a new store built over the former Ames.  All new Shaw's have a similar design and feature an Osco pharmacy and some have Dunkin' Donuts inside.

store215

Question for Shaw's people: Are your stores being refered to as "Shaws-Osco" in ads, signage, etc??? Just curious because all the other Albertsons chains are being co-branded

Acme markets are now being called Acme-Sav On (Sav-On is the larger Rx chain that Albertsons has on the West coast)
then there is Jewel-Osco

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
In Brunswick they also moved from their location(picture) to a new larger store in the same plaza where Serv.Merch. was located.

In Saco they moved to a new store built over the former Ames.  All new Shaw's have a similar design and feature an Osco pharmacy and some have Dunkin' Donuts inside.

I saw the one in SAco a few weeks ago, IT HAS DUNKIN DONUTS IN IT. (THE AMES LOOKED LIKE THE ONE IN SOuth portland and I remember it being ZAYRE, and the SACO VALLEY SHOPPING CENTER LOOKS LIKE IT GOT REMODELED), and it say sthe old Shaw's will become Reny's. The new shaw's looked like Gilford and it had Osco signage. I saw the one in Sanford the same day and it looked JUST LIKE the one in Saco, (But the Sanford one DID NOT Have the osco thing) and the old shaw's in sanford is marshalls and dollar Tree.

THE SHAW's format before the current format (Looks like gilford) was a glass window front, and before that a wooden triangle front.

So they moved the one in Brusnwick to old Service Merchandise (They were first in the Cooks Corner where Bookland and STaples are, then moved to merrymeeting in 93), they do that alot. I heard they moved the lewiston one (i heard it was first in Proemenade mall in 73, then in 1988 the Libson st one opened and promenede mall shaw's moved there and Shaw's relocated from there in 2003 or 04 to across the old Ames.

Shaw's moved in 2003 from the DW highway location to the redevelopeed Globe Plaza and looks like the one in Gilford and is 64,500 square feet. Shaw's history in Stratham- in 1976 it opened in the Kings Hwy Plaza and in 1985 or something like that Shaw's moved in a plaza nearby (the old Shaw's in Kings Hwy plaza became OSco Drug, NH liquor and Blockbuster), and was 50,000 square feet, then it moved in late 2004 across the street in a 80,000 square foot building that looks like the one in Gilford and has dunkin donuts and OSco in it (I saw this shaw's 6 weeks ago), and the old shaw's across the street became Half staples.

from 74 to late 80s, Shaw's was in the Kmart Plaza and was 28,500 square feet, and moved in the late 80s to the Grantie state marketplace! as Super shaw's, I do not know the size, It must be in the late 40s early 50s of thousands of square feet. the old shaw's became Ben franklin and toy works (They closed and are Dollar Tree and furniture store, TOyworks closed 96, but then reopened in granite state plaza)

In goffstown from 74 to late 80s, it was in the very left end of the plaza and must have been in the early 30s of thousands of square feet, and then relocated to a 44,000 square foot newly cosntructed building in 1988 (it looked like the one in Lewiston on Lisbon st the one before the current one that just opened) to the right of the plaza, and it got expanded 3 years ago by adding 13,000 square feet and somewhat remodeled.

Shaw's bought out Purity in NAshua royal ridge and lebanon Upper valley, but royal ridge one got renovated and added 10,000 square feet, and LEbanon has 2 stores on the same road, at each end of the hwy. the other one in the powerhouse plaza opened 1993.

Shaw's bought out some grand unions in vermont and most Butson's, that closed, and they are small.

Shaw's expanded londonderry store twice, and in derry it was in the left end of the plaza from 1968 (when it opened) until 1988 and was 26,500 square feet and relocated to the right end of the plaza and was 47,000 square feet, and just got expanded to 67,000 square feet. IN NORTH COnway, from like 1971 to 1999 Shaw's was in the Northway plaza and relocated to a 56,510 square foot Building up the road in 1999, and TJ Maxx replaced the old one months later. IN MAINE: I heard the one in BAth got expanded, I saw it 4 years ago when it was tiny and had brown wooden front, and the one in Augusta looked remodeled and expanded. I saw the one in aUburn maine 7 years ago and it looked old, it said super shaw's and had glass windows. The one in Portland northgate plaza has trangle look (I saw it 3 years ago), and the one in Portland westgate is tan and small (I saw it 1.5 years ago), and the one in the Pine Tree Plaza in Portland looked yellow (I saw it twice and I last saw it 1.5 years ago), I saw the one in the Millcreak plaza in south portland years ago and it has a glass window triangle.

Shaw's entered RI in the late 1980s, Ct and Vt in either 1995 or 1996.

The metal triangle front I am talking about is this picture. The ones that I saw like that were in Colchester Vt, Berlin Vt, TIlton NH, Johnston RI, FAll River (near harbor mall) ma, Fairhaven MA, the 2nd STratham one (near the Ames plaza and in the video update plaza, and the 3rd one is the current one), South portland me,

Zayre88

Here's Shaw's in Stratham. I think the one at the Royal Ridge Mall in Nashua still has that look too.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here's Shaw's in Stratham. I think the one at the Royal Ridge Mall in Nashua still has that look too.

The Royal riddge one does have that look.

The one in STratham you show got relocated last November across the street. The one you show is now partly staples.

Zayre88

The all new Shaw's in Westbrook.  It moved from the Pine Tree Shopping center where the store is now demolished.  Now it's located on site of a former Hannaford in the former Bradlees plaza.

d_fife

yesterday I saw 2 Shaw's across from each other in Cranston RI. one of them seemed to have just opened.

Zayre88

One of the first Shaw's to be expanded and renovated in recent years in Maine.  The Augusta Service Merchandise was in the same plaza.

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by Caldor1999
when was shaws founded?????

it was founded in 1860, in portland maine.

store215

Shaw's new owner, Albertsons, is already looking to sell off all of its stores.:o There are rumors of Kroger buying up all of Albertsons different chains (Albertsons stores operate under the Albertsons, Shaws, Jewel-Osco, Sav-On (Rx) and Acme names) or an overseas company.

d_fife

this Shaw's is in Webster Mass. it opened 1998. It is said to be 56,000 square feet.

The Shaw's In Keene NH, WEst lebanon NH in Powerhouse Plaza, 2nd one in Brunswick ME (in merrymeeting plaza), Scarborough Maine, 2nd one in North Windham Maine, North ATtleboro Mass, 1st one in Beverly Mass (It is now Staples), HAnover Mass, Plymouth Mass, WArwick RI on BAld Hill Rd, North Providence RI, look like this one

storehistoryguy

A Star Market in Tampa, Fl. in 1960 next to a Montgomery Wards.

http://www.lamartin.com/burgert/1956-1960.htm

Crawford

This was a cool little market with best bakery. Meats were very good as well, prices very competative. Bought out by Almacs (at least in my area) in the late 80's most were either converted or sold if there was an Almacs nearby. Unfortunately the behemoth of Stop and Shop and their megastores trounced the older and smaller former Star Markets/Almacs. Shaws came into play as well. Soon Almacs was just a memory. I miss Star Market. Only place one could run into, spend just a minute or two and come out. Not in these goliath sized markets, takes 20 minutes just to go from one end to the other.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
Shaw's keeps expanding their stores, and or relocating into another store in the plaza. THEY NOW added Osco Drug in their stores.

the new shaw's look like this. (This is the one in Gilford NH) it opened may 2000 and is 56,000 square feet. Most Shaw's now are like 60,000 something square feet, and they want to move away from 50,000 square feet or less. STop and shop is doing this too. Some stoers have undergone two renovations since opening and a couple (like Lewiston maine relocated 2ce), Shaws format in the mid-late 1990s was glass windows,

another of shaw's in gilford new hampshire. hence this shaw's as well as othersh as the new shaw's logo with osco next to it. most shaws have osco in it.

Crawford

I am not crazy about this market. It always looks dirty and cluttered. Their meats are deplorable. Prices are ok I suppose, I only shop here for my shredded lettuce and Sobe energy drinks. I think Star Market is like a sister company or maybe they are both owned by the same one since my shoppers card has both listed. I think Shaw's is more Southern New England and Star the Boston area.
"Through the millennia, the Time Lords of Gallifrey led a life of ordered calm, protected against all threats from lesser civilisations by their great power. But this was to change. Suddenly, and terribly, the Time Lords faced the most dangerous crisis in their long history..."--the Doctor

monkeyblam

The song in their commercials used to be "Star Market... see what makes us shine"

d_fife

at the end of wal-mart is a shaw's. the shaw's was originally in the other end of the plaza, that was 31,000 square feet, and opened in 1979 and relocated in 1993 in the old Ames that was zayre and was 48,000 square feet and a few years ago 18,000 square feet got added. This store is in north w/indham maine.

store215

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
at the end of wal-mart is a shaw's. the shaw's was originally in the other end of the plaza, that was 31,000 square feet, and opened in 1979 and relocated in 1993 in the old Ames that was zayre and was 48,000 square feet and a few years ago 18,000 square feet got added. This store is in north w/indham maine.

Wow, it's only inches away from a SuperCenter! That shouldn't be good for Shaw's... (Although by the picture, it looks like there are more people at Shaw's!)