Shaw's and Star Market

Started by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB, April 20, 2005, 09:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_fife

QuoteOriginally posted by d_fife
shaw's in bangor on main st taht opened in fall 1996 and renovated a few years ago and like 60,000 sq.ft. and was first 55,000 sq.ft.

sign of the bangor main st one

more of the bangor main st one

side of bangor main st

Marc82

What's up everyone? I worked at Shaw's for almost 5 years. I worked in the Bristol, Connecticut store from October 2001 until September 2004 and I worked at the Southington, Connecticut store from September 2004 until May 2006.

The Southington store is a converted Edward's Super Food Store. Shaw's aquired it in 1997. One of my co-workers who worked at the store since day one said all they did was replace all the Edward's signs with Shaw's signs and changed over to the Shaw's computer systems.

The store hasn't done much work either and it's not as busy as some of the other Shaw's in the area including Bristol.

At the end of March 2006 my best friend, Paul and I along with 3 other Shaw's employees were paid volunteers to do some painting at the store. We painted the foyer and customer restroom lime green. And we painted the Customer Service Desk lime green and florecent orange. It took us all night to do it. We worked from 8:30PM until 3:30AM.

Even though I don't work at the store anymore, I'm a frequent visitor to the store shopping and seeing some of my co-workers. They demolished part of the former bank (which was never a bank when it was Shaw's. It was a cell phone store for about a year and a half. I had to help clean it out when they moved out) and moved the floral departmnet over there.

I'll try and get some pictures next time I'm there.

Marc82

Shaw's Route 10 in Southington.

Marc82

And here's the Shaw's sign at the entrance to the plaza on Route 10 in Southington.

Later or in a few days I'll post a pic of me in my Shaw's attire, tho I don't wokr there any more.

golfcart34

QuoteOriginally posted by Zayre88
Here's Shaw's in Stratham. I think the one at the Royal Ridge Mall in Nashua still has that look too.

The Royal riddge one does have that look.

The one in STratham you show got relocated last November across the street. The one you show is now partly staples.

With regards to the Stratham Shaw's... The move to the location across the street was the second move I can remember.  The original Shaw's in Stratham was located in the King's Hyway Plaza at the opposite end of the plaza from Ames.  The location there is currently occupied by a Brook's Pharmacy, Blockbuster Video, and a Liquor Store.

Marc82

Later or in a few days I'll post a pic of me in my Shaw's attire, tho I don't wokr there any more. [/quote]

Here we go. I lived up to my promise. This is me in my Shaw's attire.

powersbt

What did you do there??

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc82
Later or in a few days I'll post a pic of me in my Shaw's attire, tho I don't wokr there any more.

Here we go. I lived up to my promise. This is me in my Shaw's attire. [/quote]

Marc82

From October 2001 until September 2004 I did carriage retrevial and bagging (Mostly carriage retrvial) at the Bristol Store. And from September 2004 until February 2006 I did carriage retrvial and bagging and clean up duty in the Southington store. From February 2006 until May 2006 I did cashier, carriage retrvil, and bagging.

Two reasons I left:

1. Constant harassment by my direct supervisor about me needing to lose weight. (This despite the fact by time I left in May I had lost 20 pounds).

2. They made me work on a day I was supposed to be out because I was hurt on the job. The problem was I had two doctors from two different offices. One said I had to miss 3 days of work. The other said miss 2 days and return to work on Monday May 15 and guess what? They took the note from the one that said go back to work on Monday May 15. They were gonna have me work 2 hours that day. I told the head cashier I was going home and I clocked out and left. When I came back the next day I was told by the Assistant Manager I was no longer employed by Shaws. They told me if I wasn't ready to go back to work I should talked told my supervisor "I'm not feeling well enough to return to work." She said she wouldn't have minded me taking an extra day off.

d_fife

old shaw's in saco maine and it was 39,000 sq.ft and opened in like 1965 or 1972. And I have pictures of the old and new shaw's that I have yet to digitize.

d_fife

old shaw's in saco maine and it was 39,000 sq.ft and opened in like 1965 or 1972. And I have pictures of the old and new shaw's that I have yet to digitize.

more of the saco one. the new (And more modernized) one is where ames was and the new one is 66,000 sq.ft. the old shaw's was dirtier and more outdated and had the old school isle labels for shaw's (colored orange:White:orange in rectangles)

d_fife

more of the saco one. the new (And more modernized) one is where ames was and the new one is 66,000 sq.ft. the old shaw's was dirtier and more outdated and had the old school isle labels for shaw's (colored orange:White:orange in rectangles)

old saco.

d_fife

the 2nd brunswick location (The original one in the merrymeeting plaza) under going becoming new stores as of july 2, 2006.

d_fife

the 2nd brunswick location (The original one in the merrymeeting plaza) under going becoming new stores as of july 2, 2006.

original merrymeeting plaza one.

d_fife

the one that was in the south portland maine jetport plaza on western ave 3/4 mile to 1 mile north of maine mall and closed at some point and opened 1986 and 55,000 sq.ft. I never saw it as a shaw's, but heard it was one

d_fife

the one that was in the south portland maine jetport plaza on western ave 3/4 mile to 1 mile north of maine mall and closed at some point and opened 1986 and 55,000 sq.ft. I never saw it as a shaw's, but heard it was one

former south portland jetport one

d_fife

former south portland jetport one

sign of hte jetport one

d_fife

shaw's biddeford that opened in summer 1997 and is 55,000 sq.ft.

d_fife

shaw's biddeford that opened in summer 1997 and is 55,000 sq.ft.

side of biddeford one

d_fife

here is the almost 39,000 sq.ft. shaw's in belmont nh (just outside laconia) in the belknpa mall and its outside was remdoeled with the mall and I have pictures before remodeling.

d_fife

here is the almost 39,000 sq.ft. shaw's in belmont nh (just outside laconia) in the belknpa mall and its outside was remdoeled with the mall and I have pictures before remodeling.

belknap mall shaw's.

d_fife

belknap mall shaw's.

more belknap mall one

d_fife

shaw's in tilton nh off exit 23 that opeend spring 1998 and 55,000 sq.ft.

d_fife

shaw's in tilton nh off exit 23 that opeend spring 1998 and 55,000 sq.ft.

shaws sign in tilton

Zayre88

Former Shaw's in Falmouth ME.  It closed and moved in the former Ames in the same plaza.

Zayre88

I was amazed to find this.  Classic Shaw's signing still there inside the former Shaw's in Sanford ME.  Now Marden's Furniture is using it but i remember that Shaw's had that signing at an angle on the interior walls years ago.

The store still has the old walls, former divisions that were probably home to the bakery and meat counters, now filled with furniture.

That Shaw's moved to the Center for Shopping years ago, and it recently moved where Ames used to be in that same Center.

JustinT

QuoteOriginally posted by 76&AmesfanmanBBTB
QuoteOriginally posted by MBZ321
Shaw's and Star were both the same company.

They are now both owned by Albertson's (who owns Acme in the Philly area)

yes but there were talks of changing all the Star Markets to Shaw'ses !:no:

I'm thinking that there are several supermarkets by the name of Star.

The Star Market chain in the Boston area, owned by David Mugar, was sold to Shaw's in 1998. It wasn't a huge chain, and was only in a 20 mile radius or so of Boston. Since that time, Shaw's has left the name intact, but they are slowly fading it out. In almost every case, a store is renovated, and when it reopens, the Shaw's logo replaces the Star one. Two cases of this are the Sudbury, MA store (renovated around 2004) and the Newton, MA store over the Mass Pike (renovated 2006).

In all advertisements for Shaw's in the Boston area, the Shaw's and Star logos are shown together, and it's a well known fact that they are co-owned. Eventually, the Star name will fade away, but it's unlikely that many tears will be shed when that happens.

Marc82

As someone who is a former Shaw's employee let me tell you that the few Star Markets that operated outside of Massachusetts (namely New Hampshire) all became Shaw's. Several Star's in Massachusetts also were rebranded/remodeled to Shaw's, however at least 2 new Star Markets have opened in the last 2 years.

d_fife

shaw's in vernon CT at the northern part of town

d_fife

shaw's in vernon CT at the northern part of town

vernon ct sign, typical shaws sign in the late 1990s.

d_fife

shaw's manchester CT around the center of town.